Author Topic: NAB Cup: non-Richmond games  (Read 8459 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
NAB Cup: non-Richmond games
« on: February 07, 2009, 07:26:42 PM »
NAB Cup footy starts tonight. We get to see who we hopefully play in round 2.

It's also a chance to spot a cheap youngster for your Dreamteam/Supercoach side.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: NAB Cup: non-Richmond games
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 10:09:17 PM »
The Pies are taking the NAB Cup seriously. Apart from Rocca and Medhurst they are playing a full strength side whereas the Eagles are youngsters with Kerr and Cox as the two subs. This is going to be a massacre.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 06:32:56 AM »
Only a Pies supporter could come up which such logic to have them now flag favourites lol

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13628796&postcount=1

They actually look like they have peaked too early although the Eagles were no competition. Swift looked okay for the Eagles although he is very slight for someone who had huge wraps pre-draft. I'd still take Cotch over Masten any day.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Nick Maxwell gets 3 weeks
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 04:56:04 PM »
Maxwell will miss our 2nd round NAB Cup game if we get past Freo......

--------------------------------
New Collingwood captain Nick Maxwell is facing a three-match lay-off after being charged with rough conduct.

Maxwell made heavy contact with young Eagles player Patrick McGinnity during the opening match of the preseason competition on Saturday night.

The collision left McGinnity with a broken jaw.

Unlike O'hAilpin, Maxwell is able to serve some of his penalty during the preseason competition should he accept the offer.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/02/09/2486522.htm?section=sport

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 05:35:27 PM »
I hate Collingwood but even I didn't think there was much in it watching it live. Maxwell probably would've got off if McGinnity's jaw wasn't broken. I guess these days you run the risk with any shirtfront or bump as any high contact even incidental is frowned upon by the AFL and the tribunal.

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 11:36:47 PM »
bugger me  from where i was sitting it was a great hit  maybe the wce should get in a couple of jars of toughen the  f up
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 05:50:24 AM »
Looks like a very similar year to 2008 for the Bombers. Sure they won but that all out attack gameplan didn't work last year yet they haven't changed it. They'll probably have a pretty good NAB Cup and first couple of rounds before they burn out again and end up bottom 4. Dempsey was very good, Lovett looked like he had his head switched on, Gumby showed signs and Quinn did alright for an Irish lad. But apart from that same old same old Essendon.

As for the Doggies they still haven't found a reliable KPP to solve their forward line problem. Grant like Gumby showed signs although his kicking can end up anywhere and he's not going to be able to carry the bullies at his young age and inexperience. The doggies as a whole were pretty flat too.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 05:07:31 PM »
I think they should re-name the NAB Cup 2009 - "HAPPY HANDBALL"

:banghead :banghead

Constant handballing into trouble (aka one handball too many) seems to be the game of the moment  :P
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 10:37:23 PM »
I think they should re-name the NAB Cup 2009 - "HAPPY HANDBALL"

:banghead :banghead

Constant handballing into trouble (aka one handball too many) seems to be the game of the moment  :P

All week i've been looking forward to watching any footy, but I turned this game off after the first quarter.  :scream
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 06:53:46 PM »
Agree WP about the happy handball  :P.

I know both sides last night had a number of their best players out but from the bits I saw of last night's game sheesh the Saints were ordinary. Still too slow in the midfield and without Riewoldt lacking other forward options.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Nick Maxwell appeal fails - out for 4 weeks
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 08:01:56 PM »
Tribunal hands Maxwell four-match ban
By Ben Broad 6:56 PM Tue 17 February, 2009

COLLINGWOOD captain Nick Maxwell's challenge against his four-match ban for engaging in rough conduct against West Coast's Patrick McGinnity was dismissed by the AFL Tribunal on Tuesday night.

Collingwood produced medical evidence to show that the contact, that left McGinnity with a broken jaw, was from an accidental head clash, however the AFL did not accept the explanation and the original penalty stood.

http://afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=72233

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 08:07:09 PM »
What happens to the hip 'n' shoulder now ???

I know the kid suffered a broken jaw but I really cannot agree with this decision...

Is it or is it not a contact sport  ???

I wonder if the kid DIDN'T suffer a broken jaw if the result would have been the same...

Another example of the systems lack of consistency

Not defending Maxwell but if it was one of our blokes we'd be filthy on this decision I reckon
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 11:14:02 PM »
What happens to the hip 'n' shoulder now ???
Sadly it's R.I.P for it. Too much risk now to employ a fair hip and shoulder if the penalty is a month out of footy.

I can't believe I'm sticking up for a Magpie player but what a ridiculous decision. Footy is a contact sport and the injury  was an accident. There was no intent by Maxwell other than to bump McGinnity off the ball and clear a path for his teammate.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 11:27:35 PM »

I wonder if the kid DIDN'T suffer a broken jaw if the result would have been the same...

'If'? but he did.

I doubt this will change much at all.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
League guilty of injuring tradition (Age)
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 03:02:33 AM »
 :thumbsup

League guilty of injuring tradition
Michael Gleeson | February 18, 2009

ADRIAN Anderson (AFL) has been charged by the match review panel with a level-four offence for making forceful front-on contact with the tradition of the game.

Anderson is charged with rough contact in so much as his officers have sought to eliminate an accepted method of play, namely bumping an opponent.

The incident was assessed as intentional conduct (three points), high impact (three points) and body contact (one point). This is a total of seven activation points, resulting in a classification of a level-four offence, drawing 425 demerit points and a four-match ban. An early guilty plea reduces the penalty by 25 per cent and a three-match ban.

The summary of the offence is as follows: regardless of the AFL Tribunal's decision last night, the AFL's match review panel ruled that in its view it was negligent to bump, no matter how legally executed, if contact results in injury.

Anderson, as official custodian of the game, has instructed an interpretation of the rules such that a legal act can simultaneously be deemed an illegal act.

The circumstances of the breach were exposed in the Nick Maxwell case last night. Maxwell challenged player Patrick McGinnity of West Coast, who was parrying the ball near the boundary line.

Crucially, Maxwell opted against tackling McGinnity and chose to execute a bump, a choice hitherto available to the player, and given McGinnity was not in possession of the ball a tackle was not available to Maxwell. McGinnity was knocked over the boundary line and unfortunately will remain there for 10 weeks as his jaw was displaced in the clash.

The action, observed by the umpire, was considered undeserving of a free kick as Maxwell's elbow was down and his feet on the ground, and the West Coast player was in close proximity to the football and thus could have expected the contact.

It was, remember, an action that has been considered not only legal but a worthy part of the game until now. Thus the offence was to have injured.

Anderson's department has decreed that where the player has chosen to bump instead of tackle, he must wear the consequences if a player is injured. It is presumed that a player bumping, not tackling, is invariably seeking to maliciously injure.

Players, we are reminded, must observe a duty of care not to injure another. On that basis it would seem negligence extends to entering any contest during a football game lest an opponent — or teammate — is injured. Even accidentally.

St Kilda player Robert Eddy was also injured last weekend and will now miss a month because an umpire collided with him. The umpire's action was not negligence. It was an accident.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/league-injures-tradition/2009/02/17/1234632812116.html