Author Topic: Richmond vs Brisbane on the Gold Coast - Friday March 13  (Read 11287 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond vs Brisbane on the Gold Coast - Friday March 13
« on: March 03, 2009, 01:17:55 PM »
Julz will be happy.....

Friday, 13 March, 7:30pm    

Brisbane Lions v Richmond    

Gold Coast Stadium, Gold Coast    

Ticketmaster 1300 136 122
ticketmaster.com.au

http://afl.com.au/2009%20NAB%20Cup%20and%20NAB%20Challenge/tabid/13741/default.aspx#challenge

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond vs Brisbane on the Gold Coast - Friday March 13
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 09:48:23 PM »
Not only Julz.   :thumbsup

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 11:15:28 PM »
Tickets on sale Thu 5/3/09 from 9am.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 05:03:40 AM »
Voss said he was pleased with the progress of Brown who played half a match and would also appear in the final trial against Richmond on Friday.

"Two of our three matches have been played in wet conditions so it would be nice to get some Queensland sunshine for that match."

Brisbane are shopping for goal-kicking options away from Brown and Daniel Bradshaw and the match provided no serious alternatives.

Voss said he would try and play a close to full strength side for the Richmond match though key defender Daniel Merrett and Simon Black may not be ready until round one.

Brennan is out too with a quad strain.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25151282-19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond welcomes back stars (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 01:14:12 AM »
Richmond welcomes back stars, Blues extend bench
Jon Ralph and Sam Edmund | March 11, 2009

RICHMOND will recall Matthew Richardson, Brett Deledio, Nathan Foley and Ben Cousins for Friday night's final warm-up.

The Tigers, who take on Brisbane at the Gold Coast's Carrara Stadium, will play a full-strength side as they countdown to their round one clash with Carlton.

Cousins has recovered well from concussion, despite having scans in the Epworth Hospital after his Richmond debut, and is keen to play.

Graham Polak is expected to play for Coburg on Saturday.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25168807-19742,00.html

Richmond will play its final NAB Challenge practice match on the Gold Coast on Friday and is treating the game as its most important hit-out of the summer. It is likely to field a side closest to the one it will select for round one.

Richmond sought the Gold Coast practice match as it hosts Adelaide in a home-and-away game there this year and wanted to have a dress rehearsal at the ground to be familiar with the conditions.

Age link

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 08:38:48 AM »
Anyone from on here going?  (Apart from me that is)   ;D

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 09:17:59 AM »
Will be looking forward to some detailed reports. 

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 02:08:19 PM »
As detailed as anything I am capable of reporting on a Friday night!  :cheers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 12:45:47 AM »
Score updates during the game would be much appreciated too. Any volunteers?  :)
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 08:12:35 AM »
I'm going.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 08:16:40 AM »
Happy to MT but I will need a phone number to SMS them to - I don't send emails from my phone.  PM me if that works for you.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 08:52:38 PM »
PM sent  :cheers
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cousins fit but head still spinning (Age)
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 02:19:49 AM »
Cousins fit but head still spinning
Laine Clark, Gold Coast | March 13, 2009

He may have fully recovered from concussion but Ben Cousins' head is still spinning.

Richmond coach Terry Wallace said Cousins would play a "full four quarters" in Friday night's AFL practice match against Brisbane Lions on the Gold Coast after shaking off a head knock in his comeback game.

But Wallace conceded the former Brownlow Medallist was looking forward to life becoming "more normal" after the enormous hype surrounding his new life as a Tiger.

Certainly Cousins did not find any solace when he jetted into the Gold Coast for Richmond's final hit-out before the season began in earnest.

"You still wander through the airport and get the same (reception)," Wallace laughed.

"But it's just the nature of him. There's been so much general interest in his story that you would have had to be living under a rock not to notice it.

"But we expected it. And each time you come to a new venue it will be the same sort of thing.

"But as the season rolls along and he keeps playing, hopefully it will become more normal."

Asked how Cousins was handling it all, Wallace said: "I would sense he will be pleased when the ball is bounced, and it will be more about footy than anything else.

"But you have to wear what comes your way."

Cousins' comeback stalled almost as soon as it could begin - he suffered a delayed concussion after grabbing an impressive 21 touches in his long awaited return, an NAB Cup clash with Collingwood on February 26.

After missing Richmond's last clash with St Kilda at Shepparton, Cousins needed a "real searching run" against the Lions to ensure he was ready for the 2009 opener on March 26 against Carlton, Wallace said.

"We were probably keen to give him a smaller hit-out in NAB three (against the Saints), but he missed that because of the knock," he said.

"But two weeks on he's absolutely fine. He's been 10 days into competitive training with no dramas.

"And to be honest he needs a real searching run tomorrow night to top himself up for round one.

"From a footy sense his game time is probably down on what would be the norm, but a good hit-out tomorrow night and he will be fine.

"If he gets through tomorrow night he will be picked for round one."

Wallace said Richmond would not hold back against the Lions, describing the practice match as a "full dress rehearsal" for round one.

As a result, Wallace named a 24-man squad including Cousins, Matthew Richardson, Brett Deledio, Nathan Foley, Nathan Brown and Shane Tuck, and just one rookie - ruckman Andrew Browne.

The Lions have also named a strong squad after their shock loss to Melbourne last Friday night in Cairns.

They welcome back Tim Notting and Justin Sherman after they were rested against the Demons while skipper Jonathan Brown will play his first full game of 2009.

He was used for just the first half of their 37-point loss to Melbourne.

However, Jared Brennan (quad) will be rested ahead of the March 28 season opener against West Coast.

The Lions have not beaten Richmond since round 14, 2004.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/cousins-fit-but-head-still-spinning/2009/03/12/1236447399272.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cousins circus is in town (GC Bulletin)
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 03:51:14 PM »
Cousins circus is in town
Nick Smart
March 13th, 2009

ROLL up, roll up -- the Ben Cousins travelling circus has arrived on the Gold Coast.

The one-man headline touched down at Gold Coast Airport yesterday with his Richmond teammates and was quickly whisked away to his Surfers Paradise hotel before heading to Carrara for a light training session.

The tanned and buff Cousins has been protected by Richmond officials since he joined the club and would not comment yesterday.

The recovering drug addict will be the star attraction in tonight's NAB Challenge clash between Richmond and the Brisbane Lions at Gold Coast Stadium.

He was certainly a hit with the Richmond fans who came to greet the Tigers at Gold Coast Airport yesterday. The 30-year-old was glued to his mobile phone but signed autographs and chatted briefly with fans. But as expected he was camera shy and was well aware of the The Gold Coast Bulletin's photographer on the scene.

His return to the game has certainly been the talk of the AFL world over the past few months.

The buzz has been strong -- so much so that he has just been backed, in Brownlow Medal betting, to the tune of more than $1 million.

Betting shops Darwin Sportsbet, Sportingbet Australia and Eskander's Betstar all said Cousins was by far their worst result after a flood of money this week. And TAB Sportsbet, always the biggest player in Brownlow betting, already faces a payout of almost $450,000 if Cousins wins.

The question everyone has been asking is will Cousins get back to his Brownlow medal-winning best?

Gold Coast Football Club coach Guy McKenna, a former teammate of Cousins at West Coast, said it was an impossible question to answer.

"Only his body will ultimately give him that answer in time," he said. "Yes, he's a year older and has spent a year out of the game but he will leave no stone unturned to perform as good as he was before his break."

With so much interest one thing is certain -- he'll bring people through the turnstiles. And that's set to be the case tonight.

GCFC chief operating officer Scott Munn said he expected a lot of interest in the new Richmond recruit tonight.

Munn said there was a lot of curiosity about the return of Cousins and he expects the Coast's big Richmond support base to be out in force.

Brisbane Lions coach Michael Voss said he would not be paying special attention to Cousins.

"We have to look at Ben, we have to look at Nathan Foley, Matthew Richardson and a lot of

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2009/03/13/58785_gold-coast-afl.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Memories galore for Raines and McGuane (GC Bulletin)
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 03:54:14 PM »
Memories galore for Tigers pair
Nick Smart
March 13th, 2009

THE memories will come flooding back for Gold Coast products Andrew Raines and Luke McGuane when they run out on to the Carrara turf tonight.

The Richmond pair arrived yesterday and will be in the team to take on the Brisbane Lions at Gold Coast Stadium at 7.30pm.

Raines was at Palm Beach-Currumbin for 10 years before going to Southport Sharks in the state league for a year in 2003. His father Geoff is an ex-Richmond premiership player and Brisbane Bear.

And when young Raines takes the field tonight he will be reminded of the first time he watched a VFL-AFL game as a kid at the same venue.

"It is funny because we are back at Carrara Stadium and it is where I went to my first AFL game," he said.

"I remember watching my dad play his 250th game for the Bears up there when they first started. Things have come a long way since the Bears were running around to the Brisbane Lions of today."

McGuane, a lean and lanky 74kg teenager from Broadbeach when he went to Richmond after the 2004 national draft, will be looking for a big performance in his own backyard.

"I have not played at Carrara during my time at Richmond," he said. "I did a lot of times back in the days with the Gold Coast Stingrays representative side. We used to go there and train every second day or so, so I have a few memories."

McGuane, whose father Gavan was a legendary Southport Sharks player and coach in the 1980s, grew up playing Aussie rules on the Gold Coast when it was not so popular.

He paid credit to the success of the Brisbane Lions for the rise in the game's participation and profile over the past decade.

"I grew up around the time when the Lions won three premierships so people started getting more AFL orientated here towards the end of my stay here," he said.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2009/03/13/58801_gold-coast-afl.html