Author Topic: SEN's Richmond preview  (Read 2264 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
SEN's Richmond preview
« on: March 13, 2009, 05:08:02 PM »
SEN said they are doing a 2009 preview of Richmond between 6-7pm tonight.

Tune in.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 06:48:07 PM by one-eyed »

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Re: SEN's Richmond preview: 6-7pm tonight (Friday)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 05:11:21 PM »
SEN said they are doing a 2009 preview of Richmond between 6-7pm tonight.

Tune in.

poo, for an hour :bow
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 06:08:21 PM »
Coming up shortly. They are talking to the Demon Morton at the moment.

Radio: 1116 AM

Internet:http://sen1116.conexim.com.au/sen1116_16.asx

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 06:42:53 PM »
Wakelin with Leach and Schwarz......

* Improvement
- Richo going into the midfield. Took pressure of him playing forward. Point of difference allowed him to go back and help the midfield and backline.
- Tambling looks to have stepped up his fitness from what Wakelin has seen this preseason.
- Midfield will provide the biggest improvement ... Foley, Tuck, Cousins, Lids, Richo....
- Schwarz said the Tigers have versatility .... Brown, Lids, Richo can move from mid to forward.
- Backline has another year in unison. A year away from a really top backline.

- we have a lot of talent but are just waiting for all the stars to align. 2009 could be the year.

* Weaknesses
- There's massive pressure on us to perfrom.
- Haven't yet found the balance under Terry between offense and defence. They are an attacking side but haven't balanced that with defence. If they can find that balance then they could improve greatly.
- Schwarz said we don't tackle enough
- our disposal can be poor at times.
- We beat the sides we are expected to beat but not the good sides. Hawthorn was the one exception but they need to beat these better sides if they are to play finals.
- They should be taking the first 3 rounds on and aim to win all 3. If they win 2 then good. 1 okay. 0 the wheels may fall off.

Leadership
- The obvious choice was Richo but do you go for a 33 y.o. He has natural leadership qualities. A bit early to go with a Deledio. Cotch is one we haven't talked about. He will sure up the midfield more.
- Handling the pressure this year will come back to the leadership group. They have to say to the team to remain focussed on what we talked about at the start of the year.

What's acceptable in 2009?
- Making the finals obviously. Win 12-14 games and play 1-2 finals then Wallace gets another 2-3 years.

- Watching the Collingwood NAB Cup game we haven't changed up our structure.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 06:51:57 PM »
Caller 1:
Thinks we'll make and play 2 finals.
Morton, Browny, Jack? give us accurate kicks at goal up forward which we haven't had before.
Believes Nahas will provide us with that small forward who chases and kicks goals.
Wants Terry to play Lids 99% in the midfield.
Schwarz: Agreed with Lids playing in the midfield. Said "Lids is a Goddard with a better kick"
Improvement to come from Polo and Connors off half-back.
Schwarz: rate Polo.

Caller 2:
Need a big forward. Hughes playing as a U18 forward and hasn't yet stepped up.
Schwarz: agree about Hughes.

Caller 3:
Won't make the finals sadly for Terry but the next coach will reap the rewards.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 06:52:59 PM »
Thanks OE, good stuff.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 06:57:30 PM »
Shane Wakelin also said credit to the club on getting Cousins. Takes courage to do that when everyone turned him down. Bring a premiership player and brownlow medalist into the club can do wonders. Help Lids, Raines and the other young guys.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 10:13:02 PM »
* Weaknesses

- our disposal can be poor at times.

No kidding ::)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
SEN talking more Richmond
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 06:54:25 PM »
SEN were talking about us again just before in their football hour....

* The only thing that can stop Richmond this year is our skill level. The top teams and players can execute their skills under pressure.

* They mentioned we have Browne in the ruck who looked promising against the Lions.

* No more excuses for Richmond this year.

* Schulz - last chance this year.

* If Jack, Schulz, Cleve (? on him but still young and has heaps of potential), with Brown and Morton can stand up Richmond will be very potent with Richo on the wing and pushing forward.

* Jack - should kick 30-40 goals. Looks laconic but he can win games this year himself for Richmond if the ball is presented to him decently.

* Rance - looks promising but had to access at this stage as he hasn't played much. Add Cotchin to come back too. So Richmond now has depth. The beauty is they aren't rushing them into side. So we should them in round 5 or thereabouts.

* Raines - they like him. Reminds one of them of Andrew Macleod (Ed: don't shoot the messenger that's what the guy said). Plays sort of that quarterback role and has leadership qualities.

* Newman - question his decision making at times. Jordan McMahon is similar. Newman can be a touch too cute at times coming out of defence. Just kick the ball as he's a good long kick so the HFs can lead up with confidence when they see the captain coming off half-back.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: SEN's Richmond preview
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 07:47:44 PM »
Not a lot to disagree with in the SEN wrap.  I'm not sure about Jack appearing "laconic" though - Bowden is laconic, Jack is confident in his own ability.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 08:11:35 PM »
Hope their judgement is correct with Raines. If he plays similiar to McCleod then he will be a champion. He is an enigma to me in many ways. In his first 'Rising Star Year' he was a revelation coming second in a strong field ahead of Heath Shaw but in the proceeding year he looked a liability. I think a big reason for this was that opposition coaches found him out, figured out his greatest strength and turned it around on him. He didn't have an answer and still doesn't as far as I have seen.

Raines loves to run out of defense and kick it long to a leading forward but he struggles when no option is available, stops, props, panics and is frequently run down which becomes a turnover. He just doesn't seem to know when he is being run down (perhaps no talk from team-mates?) or what to do in congestion.

I just hope he can be coaches/taught how to react when his first instinct/option is denied by opposition. I still think Rance will prove to be the better defender in the future.

Stripes

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 08:53:11 PM »
Hope their judgement is correct with Raines. If he plays similiar to McCleod then he will be a champion. He is an enigma to me in many ways. In his first 'Rising Star Year' he was a revelation coming second in a strong field ahead of Heath Shaw but in the proceeding year he looked a liability. I think a big reason for this was that opposition coaches found him out, figured out his greatest strength and turned it around on him. He didn't have an answer and still doesn't as far as I have seen.

Raines loves to run out of defense and kick it long to a leading forward but he struggles when no option is available, stops, props, panics and is frequently run down which becomes a turnover. He just doesn't seem to know when he is being run down (perhaps no talk from team-mates?) or what to do in congestion.

I just hope he can be coaches/taught how to react when his first instinct/option is denied by opposition. I still think Rance will prove to be the better defender in the future.

Stripes

Have to agree with you Stripes

His newest trick when he has no option up forward seems to be to handball to a stationery target
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 09:38:26 PM »

Stripes

Still like Bling as the quarter back, we should try Raines as a winger / on baller and King just can't compete body on body. Food thought - rotate though this position to stop these players becoming too one dimensional

Have to agree with you Stripes

His newest trick when he has no option up forward seems to be to handball to a stationery target

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: SEN talking more Richmond
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 09:40:59 PM »
* Newman - question his decision making at times. Jordan McMahon is similar. Newman can be a touch too cute at times coming out of defence. Just kick the ball as he's a good long kick so the HFs can lead up with confidence when they see the captain coming off half-back.
WP were you on SEN between 6-7pm tonight?  :lol

Where did they get Jack being laconic from?!  ???
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: SEN talking more Richmond
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 09:41:08 AM »
Where did they get Jack being laconic from?!  ???

It could be because he seems to lack a burst of speed and looks to lope around the field a bit.

Not that I believe he is laconic I could just understand how someone who doesn't watch a lot of Jack may see that in him.