Author Topic: Coburg vs Williamstown practice match  (Read 5624 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Graham Polak moves to next level (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2009, 06:14:23 AM »
Graham Polak moves to next level
Glenn McFarlane | March 15, 2009

COMEBACK Tiger Graham Polak said yesterday he was feeling good about his return to football, nine months after a freak accident with a tram almost claimed his life.

Polak played three quarters for Richmond's affiliate, Coburg, against Williamstown at Whitten Oval, kicking two goals to be among the Tigers' best.  :)

"It's going well at the moment," he said after the match. "I'm enjoying it."

He made his return in an intra-club game a month ago before playing in a NAB Challenge match against St Kilda last week.

Coburg coach Jade Rawlings was pleased with Polak's endeavour, saying he was getting progressively better with more game time.

"I thought Graham Polak was terrific," Rawlings said. "It's a long way back to AFL footy but I am confident he will play very good VFL footy this year.

"Graham is realistic. He is hopeful (of making an AFL return). He is playing good footy at the moment. I'm sure at some stage he will look like he will be able to get back."

Rawlings said the club had been trying to give Polak a rest each quarter during his matches.

"He is moving well and starting to get his hands back," he said.

Polak could have kicked five or six goals in the match.

"He missed a few today," Rawlings said. "He was a bit shaky even before he had the accident."

The popular Tiger suffered serious head injuries when he was struck by a tram on June 28 last year, hours after playing for the Tigers.

Playing in attack yesterday and with a helmet on, Polak was one of the best along with fellow Richmond players Andrew Collins, who kicked five goals, Tom Hislop and rookie Jarrod Silvester.

Rawlings said he was impressed with Hislop, the former Bomber picked up in last year's draft.

"Since he has come to the club, he has done everything right," he said.

"He has got himself fit and he plays tough, he wins the ball in the middle and can kick goals."

Tyrone Vickery, the club's first draft pick last November, suffered a badly broken nose and concussion in an accidental clash.  :(

Tiger rookie David Gourdis also suffered concussion.   :(

Both players were taken to hospital as a precautionary measure.

The earlier VFL reserves match was called off because of lightning.

The senior Richmond team defeated the Brisbane Lions by 15 points on the Gold Coast on Friday night.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25187692-19742,00.html

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Coburg vs Williamstown practice match
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2009, 12:22:49 PM »
Great to hear about Polly. Still think he is a long way off but tremendous to hear some positives about Hislop and Collins. Hope Collins can keep up the form and grasp any opportunities he gets as a result.

Stripes

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2009, 01:06:06 PM »
Do we know if young Rhett Jordon is playing?
WP said Jordan is playing.

Any word on how Rhett Jordon played?

Ramps

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2009, 01:14:17 PM »
I see collins challenging both edwards and white for a game, he needs to build on these types of performances to apply real pressure to the selectors...he's still pretty light, would love to see him add some KG to that frame :shh

I agree 100%, yesterday I was thinking of whom he could replace and Edwards was the one I thought of most, Edwards has ability but he is turning over the footy too much, Id think some time back at Coburg for him would be better and a chance given to Collins.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2009, 02:36:53 PM »
Good to see Polak, Collins, Polo & Thompson all doing well.

Dare I ask how did JoN go?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 03:10:31 PM by Mr Magic »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2009, 03:42:21 PM »

Played predomiantly as a lead up HF

One turn over by foot..

OK game .... certainly didn't really stand out but wasn't alone there.

Didn't notice Vickery much until he staggered off with his broken nose  ;D

One that I did notice was Giligan - didn't do much but when he does something you notice because it's very classy indeed  :thumbsup

Polak played three quarters for Richmond's affiliate, Coburg, against Williamstown at Whitten Oval, kicking two goals to be among the Tigers' best.  :)

Hmm let me see he played in the first all but say 3 minutes, played nearly all the 2nd & 3rd and came off in the last 5 minutes of the game - so I still reckon it was more than 3 qtrs

Sorry folks no actual socres as there is no scoreboard out there. The first half was easy to follwo the score - not many points but in t he third Willi socred probably 8 of them so after that it was difficult to work out... have to say Coburg kicked alot straighter than Richmond has been  :lol

Actually there isn't much of anything out there ...no interchange seats, players stood around the fence, no proper rooms for the opposition, no food for sale, not even a coffee in those artic conditions

I've heard whispers that Willi may have to play some home games there because Willi ground is being redeveloped - some major things need to be taken care of for that to happen IMHO

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2009, 04:16:10 PM »

Played predomiantly as a lead up HF

One turn over by foot..

OK game .... certainly didn't really stand out but wasn't alone there.

Didn't notice Vickery much until he staggered off with his broken nose  ;D

One that I did notice was Giligan - didn't do much but when he does something you notice because it's very classy indeed  :thumbsup

Hmm let me see he played in the first all but say 3 minutes, played nearly all the 2nd & 3rd and came off in the last 5 minutes of the game - so I still reckon it was more than 3 qtrs

Sorry folks no actual socres as there is no scoreboard out there. The first half was easy to follwo the score - not many points but in t he third Willi socred probably 8 of them so after that it was difficult to work out... have to say Coburg kicked alot straighter than Richmond has been  :lol

Actually there isn't much of anything out there ...no interchange seats, players stood around the fence, no proper rooms for the opposition, no food for sale, not even a coffee in those artic conditions

I've heard whispers that Willi may have to play some home games there because Willi ground is being redeveloped - some major things need to be taken care of for that to happen IMHO

WP

Did you notice young Rhett Jordon?

'65

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2009, 04:28:40 PM »
WP

'65

'65,

There were no team lists available so I had no idea what numbers some of the Coburg players were wearing and to honest they looked blood different running around in white RFC training jumpers, especially when I'm used to watching them in navy blue & red  :P

A couple of the more senior Burger blokes were easy to pick out Horne, Caruso, Carnell and Keogh but the other couple it was difficult

However, It wasn't until late in the 3rd qtr that I really noticed this kid of the HBF wearing number 23 and I thought that's young Jordon and it was only by his kicking action. Having said that I am probably wrong   ;D but yeah I think he played seniors

WP

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2009, 04:36:58 PM »
Ta WP.
Also is it true Nahas kicked 4 and got a shedload of it?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2009, 04:44:54 PM »
Ta WP.
Also is it true Nahas kicked 4 and got a shedload of it?

4 goals seems about right

Certainly got a lot of the ball although he was a lot quieter in the final qtr but was very good. He has always been a standout at VFL level as he is being chased more than he is chasing

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2009, 05:11:08 PM »
WP

'65

'65,

There were no team lists available so I had no idea what numbers some of the Coburg players were wearing and to honest they looked blood different running around in white RFC training jumpers, especially when I'm used to watching them in navy blue & red  :P

A couple of the more senior Burger blokes were easy to pick out Horne, Caruso, Carnell and Keogh but the other couple it was difficult

However, It wasn't until late in the 3rd qtr that I really noticed this kid of the HBF wearing number 23 and I thought that's young Jordon and it was only by his kicking action. Having said that I am probably wrong   ;D but yeah I think he played seniors

WP

Thanks.

Rhett is a young kid with the right attitude, one to watch.

:thumbsup

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2009, 07:31:30 PM »
what was the score?

sounds like we kicked a few goals!

Offline SUGARWINTON

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2009, 08:47:47 PM »
Rhett Jordon did not player seniors.
No.23 was Tom Groves.
Polak only kicked 2 goals,but was still a focal point.
It was Collins best game,but he is a long way off playing with RFC.
Hislop and Thomson would be ahead of him as would Polo.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2009, 08:49:22 PM »
Rhett Jordon did not player seniors.
No.23 was Tom Groves.
Polak only kicked 2 goals,but was still a focal point.
It was Collins best game,but he is a long way off playing with RFC.
Hislop and Thomson would be ahead of him as would Polo.

Thanks Sugarwinton

Who was no. 25 - big lump of a kid he was

However, It wasn't until late in the 3rd qtr that I really noticed this kid of the HBF wearing number 23 and I thought that's young Jordon and it was only by his kicking action. Having said that I am probably wrong   ;D but yeah I think he played seniors

There you go I was wrong  :rollin oops

Offline SUGARWINTON

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2009, 08:51:27 PM »
25 was Ryan Allan.A kid from Tralagon way.Attended the rookie day at RFC but did not make it.
Will be a key forward once he gets use to the tempo.