Author Topic: Time for Tigers to deliver - Age, West Aust. Richmond 2009 preview  (Read 1148 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Time for Tigers to deliver
West Australian (The Age probably too)
16th March 2009, 13:00 WST

For Richmond, the time is now.

For coach Terry Wallace.

For a playing list which went within a whisker of playing finals football in 2008 and will be strengthened by the arrival of Ben Cousins.

And for a famously large and passionate supporter base, daring to dream of a return to the glory days.

When Wallace replaced Danny Frawley as coach before the 2005 season, he did so on the proviso it would take five years to revitalise a moribund playing list.

Wallace duly received the five-year deal and then set about the rebuilding job.

He knows - as does everyone else - that nothing short of a first finals campaign since 2001 will get him a contract extension.

For a club which has plumbed the depths in the three decades since winning their 10th flag, it’s a realistic aim.

The addition of Brownlow medallist Cousins to a midfield rotation including Brett Deledio, Nathan Foley, Shane Tuck and Trent Cotchin gives Richmond a high-octane engine room.

Despite the absence of a genuine power forward, the attack also looks potent, with Nathan Brown and Mitch Morton both well capable of improving on their 35-goal hauls last year.

Ditto the impressive Jack Riewoldt.

And then there’s Matthew Richardson, who is delighting in the tag of the AFL’s Benjamin Button, such has been his remarkable success in defying the rigours of age.

Richardson will again be given licence to roam in 2009 after being reborn as a wingman - a positional switch that saw him finish third in last year’s Brownlow Medal count.

In Kelvin Moore, Luke McGuane and Will Thursfield the Tigers have unearthed three good, young key defenders in a back half marshalled by new skipper Chris Newman.

One area of concern is the continued over-reliance on No.1 ruckman Troy Simmonds, who turns 31 in July, although the club has high hopes for youngsters Angus Graham and Dean Putt.

“We’ve been five years in the process, obviously it is something that has been building,” said Wallace.

“But we still think that we are a developing side, we haven’t lost anyone in relation to our senior players - guys like Richo and Browny and bringing Ben to the club, they’ve still got the ability to have an impact on games.

“We were a kick away from playing finals last year so that’s our own expectation (to play finals football).

“Our supporter expectation will be that and the footy world’s expectation will be that, but that’s our own expectation too.”

The likes of Wallace, Richardson and Brown are used to life in the media spotlight.

But even they must be stunned at how the club has dominated the news cycle in the off-season.

Graham Polak’s ongoing recovery from the life-threatening head injuries he received after being struck by a tram last July has been a remarkable human interest story.

But the blanket coverage devoted to Polak has paled in comparison to the Cousins saga.

For the recovering drug addict and the only club prepared to take a punt on him, it’s been a case of so far, so - very - good.

In essence, Richmond picked up one of the competition’s elite players of the past decade for nothing.

And the early signs are that there still a few good seasons in the 30-year-old’s legs.

“Ben brings us experience and a level head in critical situations is important in the game,” said Wallace.
 “He’s been to the mountain top so he knows what it takes to be there and our players will listen and learn from that.”

The Tiger Army has responded to the arrival of Cousins and the genuine sense of hope at Punt Road by breaking the club’s alltime membership record a fortnight before the opening-round blockbuster against Carlton.

“Everyone has jumped on board, memberships are up and all those sorts of things - I don’t think that is a bad thing,” said Wallace.

“Sometimes you’ve got to raise the bar to raise expectation around a footy club anyway.”

Consider the bar well and truly raised.

Factfile
Coach: Terry Wallace
Captain: Chris Newman

Last five years: 16-12-9-16-9

Premierships: 10 (1920-21, 1932, 1934, 1943, 1967, 1969, 1973-74, 1980)

Star five: Matthew Richardson, Brett Deledio, Nathan Foley, Shane Tuck, Troy Simmonds.

One to watch: Ben Cousins - The whole football world will be watching to see just what Richmond has got. Is it a Brownlow medallist who can lift the club to great heights or a thirtysomething with dodgy hamstrings and ongoing personal issues?

Ins: Ben Cousins (West Coast), Tom Hislop (Essendon), Jayden Post (Western U18), Adam Thomson (Port Adelaide), Tyrone Vickery (Sandringham U18).

Outs: Travis Casserly (delisted), David Gourdis (delisted, redrafted on rookie list), Chris Hyde (delisted), Danny Meyer (Port Adelaide rookie list), Greg Tivendale (retired).

Best line-up:
B: Chris Newman, Will Thursfield, Kelvin Moore
HB: Joel Bowden, Luke McGuane, Matthew White
C: Matthew Richardson, Ben Cousins, Richard Tambling
HF: Trent Cotchin, Jack Riewoldt, Shane Edwards
F: Nathan Brown, Mitch Morton, Brett Deledio
R: Troy Simmonds, Shane Tuck, Nathan Foley
I: Kane Johnson, Cleve Hughes, Adam Pattison, Andrew Raines

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=12&ContentID=130329

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Time for Tigers to deliver - Age, West Aust. Richmond 2009 preview
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 06:44:29 PM »
No Jordie in their best 22. That'll make some on here happy  :lol.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 06:57:03 PM »

not happy at all i would rather a top 20 pick be in every one's best 22

he simply he is a nothing footballer who delivers very little
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 07:05:50 PM »
Yeah Daniel,

So we have Tambling on a wing in our best 22 as a top 5 draft pick. :scream

I feel there are others ahead of Tambling who play more of the game more consistently rather than in flashy type of bursts.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 07:37:04 PM »
Some other weird choices too although they are probably just trying to fit blokes into their 22.
White on a HBF
Mitch at FF
Lids in a FP
If Cleve makes the side then he's at FF otherwise he's out.
 ???

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 07:53:47 PM »
Yeah Daniel,

So we have Tambling on a wing in our best 22 as a top 5 draft pick. :scream

I feel there are others ahead of Tambling who play more of the game more consistently rather than in flashy type of bursts.

We have waited long enough for this pretender Tambling to deliver. Im sick of the excuses to be honest that he tries hard this that.

Does things off the ball etc etc

HE HAS DONE NOTHING FULL STOP.

i said he was useless from day one and i think by Round 22, most of you will be echoing my sentiments

tambling in our best 22. No worries!!
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 08:31:40 PM »
I have trouble understanding how young Raines seems to be an automatic selection from all these so called experts  :-\

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 10:35:07 PM »
I have trouble understanding how young Raines seems to be an automatic selection from all these so called experts  :-\

They all believe he is back to his 2006 form from our preseason games. I still think he needs to answer the question marks on him (ie. stops running himself into trouble holding too long onto the ball). Having said that he is now regularly part of the our back six at training.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 10:36:40 PM »

They all believe he is back to his 2006 form from our preseason games. I still think he needs to answer the question marks on him (ie. stops running himself into trouble holding too long onto the ball). Having said that he is now regularly part of the our back six at training.

Still don't understand it  ;)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 10:50:45 PM »

Still don't understand it  ;)
LOL

That's 3 of our back six you think are questionable. Yee of little faith  :rollin.

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 11:09:48 PM »
  no Sarge or action Jackson either they know nothing here in the west
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench