Author Topic: Richo turns 34 today  (Read 1090 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Richo turns 34 today
« on: March 19, 2009, 06:12:48 PM »
Happy Birthday to the big fella  :birthday :bow   :cheers

Benjamin Button to tear Carlton apart next Thursday  :thumbsup.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richo turns 34 today
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 06:16:58 PM »
Happy Birthday Richo :birthday
Heres hoping this year is your best! :cheers
 :bow

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 07:04:14 PM »
Time stops for no one but ol' man Richo's certainly holding it off better than most.

It's a credit to him & lets hope he continues last years form in '09.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 07:15:52 PM »
Happy Birthday Champ :birthday

Dead Set Legend :cheers

Moi

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 07:27:17 PM »
Happy birthday Richo
And Robbie Powell
And Livinia Nixon
And Sammi-Jo, my dog lol
I always remember Richo's birthday because it's my dog's

:rollin

:birthday

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 08:23:23 PM »
Today should be declared a HOLY day and us Richmond supporters can have the day off work. :cheers
Unleash the tornado

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 09:55:32 PM »
Today should be declared a HOLY day and us Richmond supporters can have the day off work. :cheers

Because it's robbie powells bday?
Or livinias?
Or moi's dog?
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 11:39:37 PM »
Happy 34rd Birthday Matthew!

hope you have a great year!

p.s: keep playing!

Offline tiogar

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 11:05:44 AM »
Happy Birthday to RFC's onfield heart and soul.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 12:37:10 PM »
I remember, not too many years ago, I felt the team would be better off without Richo on its list. I was frustrated by our reliance upon him, our predictability with him, our one dimensial forwardline and his attitude towards his team-mates.

I ranted on message boards that he either needed to be moved out of our forwardline, to give others a chance such as Schulz, or move out of the team. I suggested his marked ability on the wing and engine would make him a good link player but others told me our young forwards had to earn their place in the F50 rather than have it just given to them.

It was a frustrating time for me, the club and I suspect now - Richo.

My attitude towards Richo has mirrored my attitude towards the club in general. He was a champion when he won the game off his own boot but, more than likely, the villian as he took his frustration out on our weak midfield. His move up the field has not only invigorated his career but the side in general.

He is a utter champion of the game who was cursed for so many years with inadequate players around him. The question from so many were - 'Imagine how many goals he could have kicked in a side like (insert any good side over the last decade)' and you have to agree.

If he was in a side with a competitive midfield for his whole career with forwards around him that allowed him to have only one or even two defenders to compete against he would have kicked over 100 goals every year! How many goals would Buddy kick if he did not have Roughhead, Rioli and Williams to spread the defenders? Richo had to compete against 4 opponents some weeks and we would all groan when our midfielders continued to keep kicking it too him under these conditions. Just madness really.

The question really should be how bad a team we would have been without Richo in it?! How could we have had such a poor team for such a long time where Richo has been our only reasonable option up forward? Surely we had a forward who could at least make the opposition defenders shift their focus from the big fellow enough to give him a chance to win the ball?

The year of Batman and Robin was the first time I feel Richo had a partner in the forwardline and the first time IMHO that he respected a forward teammate. What was more apparent that year was that our midfielders became less predictable and spread the forward entrees between Richo and Brown. When Brown went down that year it was such a huge loss not only because we lost such an in-form forward star in Brown but moreso because we became predictable again with all forward entrees directed at Richo.

To be fair to our past midfielders Richo magnified the problem himself with his attitude. He is extremely competitive and demanded the ball. If a midfielder did not kick it too him when he was on the lead he gave it too them and if a forward got in his way he had blinkers and smashed through them and defenders alike.

It amazes me that it took until he was 33 for the club to have the forwards and inclination to move him to the wing! I talked about how many goals he could have kicked as a forward in a 'good' team well imagine the influence he could of had around the ground and scoreboard in the past if he had of made this move even 10 years a go!

So in a very long winded way (sorry about that  :-[) , I want to say Richo has been Richmond for me in so many ways for most of his career and I just want to say thankyou to the big fellow for his committment to the club and ability with the ball.

Happy Birthday Richo  :birthday and I hope we can make the finals for you this year to reward you for everything you have done for the club, team and supporters. It will be sad day when you hang up your boots  :'( 

Lets hope you can keep on frustrating, amazing and most of all entertaining us for many more years to come  :thumbsup

Stripes
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 01:24:46 PM by Stripes »

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 04:40:54 PM »
Cheers to the Champ  :birthday

And well done Stripes for getting that off your chest  ;D

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 07:33:58 PM »
well following on after strpes this will seem pitifull but anyway here goes.

Happy B'day big fella hope you have a great day and a season to match. :birthday