Author Topic: Tigers of old out in cold (Herald-Sun) / Should our 30+ y.o. play beyond 2009?  (Read 3955 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers of old out in cold
Gerard Healy | May 02, 2009

THE future of Richmond coach Terry Wallace is known to us all and, barring a miracle, it is only the date of his departure that needs clarifying.

What's been hidden by the focus on Wallace, however, is that the club's biggest names are in the same position, and are fighting to save their own careers.

Nathan Brown (31), Ben Cousins (30), Troy Simmonds (30), Joel Bowden (30), Kane Johnson (31) and even Matthew Richardson (34), all out of contract at season's end, are being evaluated microscopically inside and outside the club and face the same future as Wallace, unless things change dramatically. Even then, there's no guarantee.

One prospective coach, whose name would be high on any short-list, has already confided that if he were given the job, the axe would fall on all of the above players - Richardson included.

It would be a controversial move, particularly for Richo, whose commitment, effort - and, importantly, performance - can't be questioned, but it's a formula that has worked before, so no one will be safe.

Related LinksPoll: Should Richo and the old Tigers play beyond this year?
In 1996, Malcolm Blight took swift action when appointed coach of the Crows, axing Tony McGuinness, Andrew Jarman and Chris McDermott, the club's three most decorated players, before he'd even left Melbourne.

There was no phone call, no second chances, no farewell match, just a DCM (don't come Monday) from football manager and Blight's lieutenant, John Reid.

It sparked a furore in Adelaide, with sympathy for the three running high, but no amount of emotion was going to sway Blight. He'd taken the long-term view and would not be persuaded otherwise.

Two flags later there was no need for an explanation.

Blight had worked his magic and while most felt it a harsh way to end the careers of three highly decorated players, there was not one Crows supporter in the land who could remember ever being against the move to sack them.

Success dulls even the most bitter memories of football fans and if the next Richmond coach believes that high-profile senior players are not going to be part of the future, or, in fact, are going to hinder the pathway to success, then Richmond supporters and players should brace themselves. Not all senior players will survive.

In fact most won't, as a severe cleanout is certain.

That's the brutal position the group of senior players find themselves in, and it is why today's Coburg Tigers match will be one of the most important VFL games this year.

Ben Cousins and Troy Simmonds will take the field alongside Trent Cotchin and Andrew Raines, with the injured Nathan Brown a big chance to join them when he recovers from injury.

Not all will be selected in the seniors the next week and, despite the major reputations of the veterans, the first picked will be Cotchin if his tank is ready.

He is the future and the player most likely to have the biggest impact on the club next year, so that leaves the others to fight it out for senior selection.

Bowden, it appears, has already been read the last rites, but his past two games suggest he's pretty keen to stick around and fight for his career.

But the next three months will determine whether it is his last season at Tigerland. He is in front of the others now because he already has a place in the team from which he can launch a survival campaign against the odds.

Cousins finds himself again fighting for his career.

Without the support from Wallace it would already be over, so in the remainder of the season he has to win the battle not only against his hamstring, but, more importantly, the fight to convince the next coach of his worth.

The finals window that was seemingly open for Richmond three months ago was the tiniest factor that persuaded a sceptical board of Cousins' potential value.

Their outlook will have changed, and while no one can dispute recruiting Cousins was a great positive for the club, he will not even register on the next coach's radar if that person has a similar outlook to Blight.

Cousins has some work to do and it will begin in a Coburg jumper today.

Brown has been one of my favourite players of the past decade. To see him cut down by the most savage of leg injuries was a blow to all who love his mastery of the ball.

But, to quote Neil Craig, "the game doesn't care how old you are" or if you're injured, and if Brown can't get himself back to his best this season his career will quickly come to an end.

If a "best of" team was picked from those who have represented Australia against Ireland, Brown would just pip Craig Bradley as the first picked.

Brilliant with the ball against any opposition, under any pressure, it is winning it that has become his challenge in the AFL. Getting that gift back is the key to his longevity.

Simmonds faces a similar battle.

A knee injury in last year's state game robbed him of a follow-up on his outstanding season in 2007 when he was just pipped for All-Australian selection.

He's out of the side and well down on confidence and form.

I suspect he should try to persuade Wallace to give him more game time out of the goalsquare, as in his days at Freo, because they have to get game time into the young ruckmen at Richmond.

As well, another string to Simmonds' bow could help him in the eyes of a prospective coach. That said, rediscovering his form in the ruck is the only way to guarantee another year.

Johnson was a good choice as leader when appointed, and didn't let his team down, in at times difficult circumstances for the club.

This will be his last season and hopefully he gets an opportunity to go out in style on the ground.

Finally, to Richo.

He is a unique case, more Richmond than Punt Rd. Any decision to end his career against his wishes would be explosive, no matter how well it was handled.

He is almost certain to play on if it's his decision, and so he should, given his form.

But under the Blight "scorched earth" policy, and the philosophy of at least one of the prospective candidates, Richo, like all the others, would be gone too, no matter how well he plays.

There will be tough decisions for whoever takes the helm at Richmond next season, but few tougher than this one would face any coach starting afresh at a new club.

Despite the tumultuous start to the season there is still so much of the year to play out, and so much to play for, if you are a senior player on the Richmond list.

Anything less than great form will seal an individual's fate.

It seems ridiculous to even think it at the moment but the Tigers are still capable of playing finals, in what would be a satisfying way for Wallace to end his coaching career.

It's an unlikely outcome, granted, but given the ruthless nature of the game and the stark reality of a certain major cleanout under a new coach, Richmond's season may yet be propelled to an exciting conclusion by a senior group now collectively facing the end.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25415970-19742,00.html

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
  • Tigers the biggest hunter
Hard to disagree.

Nathan Brown (31) - Injured and out of form must show something when he returns or you are the weakest link ...... Goodbye
Ben Cousins (30) - Will hold judgement till I see him playing in the side but he wouldn't want to do any other hammy's
Troy Simmonds (30) - Must perform very well in the ruc when (if?) he returns to the side or he will be (jeff) White-d
Joel Bowden (30) - Joel I think would be in our best five players this year. That said we would have to win a lot of games and retain Wallace for him to remain,
Kane Johnson (31) - Gone-son
Matthew Richardson (34) - I don't want to even speculate. I hope he goes out on his own terms.

It seems ridiculous to even think it at the moment but the Tigers are still capable of playing finals, in what would be a satisfying way for Wallace to end his coaching career.

It's an unlikely outcome, granted, but given the ruthless nature of the game and the stark reality of a certain major cleanout under a new coach, Richmond's season may yet be propelled to an exciting conclusion by a senior group now collectively facing the end.

Heres hoping :thumbsup

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
what a fantastic article to be honest made a fair and intelligent media person.

Good to see the spotlight on the veterans.

Simmo and Browny have done SFA in the last 2 years and as Craigy says the game doesn't care what injuries you have had in the past,
its about here and now and those 2 would NOT get a game in any other club right now, bar Freo.

Richo, the end is near but he will know when he is ready and quite frankly 3rd in a brownlow in 08 suggests he has one more year to go.

Bowden time to go. I liked Joel but we need to move on. He seems smart enough to know to retire at season's end.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
All but Richo I could deal with.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
One prospective coach, whose name would be high on any short-list, has already confided that if he were given the job, the axe would fall on all of the above players - Richardson included.

Geesh couldn't we play one hell of guessing game with that statement ???

Who could it possible be  :D

I reckon the vast majority would be thinking like that

Personally I still see alot of upside in Cousins - next 17 weeks will tell I suppose ...
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
I think it's hard to compare to Adelaide given they cut only 3 and we have 6.

Personally I'd be fine with it as long as it excluded Richardson, but would also prefer Cousins to stay one more if I had a choice. I think leaving a couple would also stagger their departure, especially as there are a couple of others who need to be cut/traded as well. We can't have too big of a change to the list in one year.

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame

Geesh couldn't we play one hell of guessing game with that statement ???

Who could it possible be  :D

I reckon the vast majority would be thinking like that

Personally I still see alot of upside in Cousins - next 17 weeks will tell I suppose ...

im with u wp, too early to call on cuz, if his body holds up and he plays with all his class and polish he must be a keeper, same as joel and richo

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Actually the main reason I see this won't/can't happen will be the salary cap. You need to pay a minimum of 92.5% of the approx $8 million TPP every year and cutting all the senior players would get us WELL under that amount.
Other than Cousins and Simmonds, they'd all be on decent wages, most likely around the $500k mark, some more, some less. This would mean around 1/3 of our wages would go in one year and close to 25% of TPP would have to be given to the other players in pay rises/front loaded contracts.

Ramps

For mine - In the following order as well.

Bowden should be gone
Johnson should be gone
Brown should be gone
Simmonds should be gone

Richardson if he wants to stay for 2010 then ok- but it should be publically stated that it will be his last
Cousins - a couple of weeks ago I suggested in here that Cousins should be played in a sweeper role in defence, if we do this and he can keep his hammys in order between now and round 22 then he stays in 2010.

So - 4 GONE ASAP and the other 2 we need to see what happens.

Hellenic Tiger

Actually the main reason I see this won't/can't happen will be the salary cap. You need to pay a minimum of 92.5% of the approx $8 million TPP every year and cutting all the senior players would get us WELL under that amount.
Other than Cousins and Simmonds, they'd all be on decent wages, most likely around the $500k mark, some more, some less. This would mean around 1/3 of our wages would go in one year and close to 25% of TPP would have to be given to the other players in pay rises/front loaded contracts.

At a time when GC 17 and WS 18 would be able to snap up the Deledios Cotchins of this world we should move heaven and earth and build a team around them as they are the next 10 years of the club.

It will be unfortunante for those concerened but the club is bigger than the individual but that is life. I think Richo would be the hardest one for me to cope with.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Joel and Sugar are retiring so no decision needed there.
Richo and Cuz should go again as long as their bodies hold up.
It's Simmo and Browny that the question mark is on. On form/injury so far this year it would be a neah.

As for the Adelaide/Blight comparison there's more to why McDermott (c), McGuiness (vc)  and Andrew Jarman were given the flick than just their age. Blight wanted to get rid of a culture he didn't like in one fell swoop. Rumour at the time had it that those 3 players had too much say in the club.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
Lets wait and see where it all ends up before we jump to conclusions.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame

And who said Terry is going anywhere??

:)

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame

Exactly.

Healy can't even get his facts right. ::)
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Tapping Richo on the shoulder and suggesting its time to retire is the same as the  local vet recommending its time to put down the much loved family dog.You Know its probably for the best....but are never ready to say goodbye.
Unleash the tornado