Author Topic: Please, Terry, just go!  (Read 7318 times)

bushranger

Re: Please, Terry, just go!
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2009, 07:49:18 PM »
If we took on Wayne Campbell we might get the great results the the Lions are getting now.
So I'm all for this one.  :thumbsup

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2009, 08:12:30 PM »
Lions are 4-3

W West Coast G
L  Carlton        ES
W Sydney       G
L  Collingwood  G
L  Geelong       SS  93 points
W Essendon     G
W Richmond MCG

Brissies record does not exact fill me with confidence. Only played 1 elite side in first 7 and got flogged.Wins have been to teams around them on ladder and some losses to teams a little bit above them. Results seem no different to Matthews over the last few years. Post 2004. Based on your theory Bushy we ultimately would be no better off with Campbell as we are with Wallace.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2009, 09:15:22 PM »
would you sack your employee if there was no-one currently available who was any better to replace him with?
you'd just damage the brand further if you drove potential candidates away.
if a better option appears then sure, take it. but where is it? who is this mysterious supercoach waiting in the shadows to take over?
You must be kidding!
Yes i would get rid of my employee. Full stop.
Answer me this gtig, what's wrong with giving one of our assistants the reigns till the end of the season while looking for the best replacement?
At least the pressure would be off a bit and the caretaker coach could play all of these young kids to see who we keep next year and who we don't.
I'm pretty sure our brand could cope with that.
Also this hoohar about driving away potential coaches is a copout imo.
What i think is needed is a young coach with new ideas. No to Malthouse and no to Sheedy.
Lets get some new none Richmond hard-nut to take over that's not scared to make some tough calls and close the curtains on a few of our older players careers.
Delist some of our younger guys that are not up to it without having to admit that somebody made a mistake in drafting them.
Trade some others that are still worth something that don't seem to work at our club. Try and get as many earlish draft picks for this years national draft.
Also a new coaching panel is needed to be employed with the same no nonsense approach as our coach.
A comprehensive drafting department all on the same page in the drafting of future players and an even more comprehensive development department teaching our kids and fast tracking their developement.
Now to find this person the RFC need to put together a panel and go through all possible applicants, they would have the whole second half of the season to do this. The beauty of going after a young, untried coach is that they will do just about anything to get a coaching gig at AFL level, so the worries of us scaring away potential coaches is very, very limited.
What do you think?

Offline gtig

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2009, 09:50:14 PM »
big tone it's all music to my ears, i agree with almost all of what you say... no sheeds & new ideas absolutely... and i have to applaud your disection of our draft performance too. the only part i'm not so sure about is handing the coaching role over to two (king + campbell i assume) guys who no-one is really backing? honestly i think the order just has to come down from the top - manage the list, play the young guys, see who's worth keeping/trading, etc.
i'm sure Terry would be able to do that if they were his instructions, and it might even make for a graceful (and useful) exit. Even better if March and co would announce such an intention to the public.
if you were a potential coach and you looked at all the options available at the end of this year, of which there could be a few, you'd want rfc to be seen somewhat as an employer of choice, to push the analogy, rather than the proverbial albatross around the neck.
that said, it really has got me baffled why terry is sticking it out.

Jackstar is back

« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2009, 09:52:10 PM »
I sacked one of my employees 3 months ago, no one to replace him, business has boomed, funny about that :thumbsup

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2009, 10:02:26 PM »
I sacked one of my employees 3 months ago, no one to replace him, business has boomed, funny about that :thumbsup

Well a milk bar relies on good customer service so that is no wonder!
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2009, 10:13:54 PM »
So who thinks we are going to make the finals? - if not , lets list manage for next year and whats the point of a new coach as they will try their best as they should to get the job next year and not do what is in our best long term future. heaven help us if we dont help ourselves this year.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2009, 10:23:09 PM »
So who thinks we are going to make the finals? - if not , lets list manage for next year and whats the point of a new coach as they will try their best as they should to get the job next year and not do what is in our best long term future. heaven help us if we dont help ourselves this year.

I think we should just model the Tigers on "Wacko Jackos" milk bar business and just sack players, staff etc. Business will boom.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2009, 11:13:37 PM »
Result Mick Malthouse.

He just got a step closer tonight if we want to head in that direction.

Tigermonk

« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2009, 09:58:22 AM »
Malthouse is not the solution, everyone knows his gameplan & we aint got the players he needs at the club to get the job done

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2009, 10:15:52 AM »
I've said it earlier but this is such a precarious situation we find ourselves in at the moment. We really have to be careful how we handle this situation because it can make or break us in the future. We need draft picks and we need a quality coach.

If we make a mess of the TW contract then other coaches are going to not risk coming to the club. Conversely, if the playing group look so bad and lose continuously then this would also be extremely unappealing to a new coach.

If we bring in a caretaker coach they would want to win games to give themselves a good chance of picking up a senior coaching job at the club or elsewhere in the future. If they lose every game then they will be forever seen as a poor coach. This is not good for our draft prospects.

I listened to Buckley and Matthews last night and over the past few days and they do not see the job as an enticing prospect. Buckley said things like it would be a 'thankless job' and Matthews make a joke about how bad our list and future prospects are. Even Pagan stated that we would be unlikely to come out of the doldrums until 5 years time!

We are very unlikely to get any coach of worth based on these types of comments. If we can claim Malthouse it would be a positive, just on player development alone. Otherwise we will need to look to assistant coaches.

We have to be careful

Stripes

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #116 on: May 12, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »
I've said it earlier but this is such a precarious situation we find ourselves in at the moment. We really have to be careful how we handle this situation because it can make or break us in the future. We need draft picks and we need a quality coach.

If we make a mess of the TW contract then other coaches are going to not risk coming to the club. Conversely, if the playing group look so bad and lose continuously then this would also be extremely unappealing to a new coach.

If we bring in a caretaker coach they would want to win games to give themselves a good chance of picking up a senior coaching job at the club or elsewhere in the future. If they lose every game then they will be forever seen as a poor coach. This is not good for our draft prospects.

I listened to Buckley and Matthews last night and over the past few days and they do not see the job as an enticing prospect. Buckley said things like it would be a 'thankless job' and Matthews make a joke about how bad our list and future prospects are. Even Pagan stated that we would be unlikely to come out of the doldrums until 5 years time!

We are very unlikely to get any coach of worth based on these types of comments. If we can claim Malthouse it would be a positive, just on player development alone. Otherwise we will need to look to assistant coaches.

We have to be careful

Stripes
What's wrong with giving a young, untried, not long out of the game assistant  with a direction ago? That's the whole point of assistants! Give him a two year contract and see how he goes. It worked for Hawthorn and it seems to be working with our very own Matty Knights at the Bombers.
We are due for something to go our way soon.
Fingers crossed!

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #117 on: May 12, 2009, 09:11:40 PM »
What's wrong with giving a young, untried, not long out of the game assistant  with a direction ago? That's the whole point of assistants! Give him a two year contract and see how he goes.

Apart from that he will probably make mistakes being young and untried and as a result get torn to shreds by our supporters and media, nothing except a possible 3 years or so until we start again with another coach.  Anyway you seem like a forgiving bloke so I am sure you wont be a problem it will just be the other more excitable fans.

As Julius Ceaser said when the one legged gladiator was put in the colesseum "bring on the lions" (or hyena's in our case).

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #118 on: May 12, 2009, 09:25:30 PM »
What's wrong with giving a young, untried, not long out of the game assistant  with a direction ago? That's the whole point of assistants! Give him a two year contract and see how he goes.

Apart from that he will probably make mistakes being young and untried and as a result get torn to shreds by our supporters and media, nothing except a possible 3 years or so until we start again with another coach.  Anyway you seem like a forgiving bloke so I am sure you wont be a problem it will just be the other more excitable fans.

As Julius Ceaser said when the one legged gladiator was put in the colesseum "bring on the lions" (or hyena's in our case).
And the Vultures :lol

Jackstar is back

« Reply #119 on: May 12, 2009, 09:27:35 PM »

I think we should just model the Tigers on "Wacko Jackos" milk bar business and just sack players, staff etc. Business will boom.

Only if you knew ;)