Author Topic: Will we get a caretaker coach after the mid year review ?  (Read 1734 times)

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Will we get a caretaker coach after the mid year review ?
« on: May 26, 2009, 02:52:24 PM »
Whats going to happen ?...Will we have a situation like 2004 where Spud coached the year out  OR will we get an interim coach to see us through the year.

I know a lot of posters on this forum believe that the only positive that can come from this horrible year is that we Tank for high draft picks.
There is also a school of thought that unless Terry sees out his contract it will some how decrease our chances of getting a "well credentialled" coach.

I now believe that the time is right for Terry to walk so we have time to evaluate the playing list without the Wallace factor.

We need to find out once and for all whether all the speculation is true....TW has lost the players and his game plan is a shambles.

We need to find out if NO TERRY makes any difference all at....Perhaps the worst case scenario is true..Our list is just CRAP and it wouldn't matter who coached us.

Penny for your thoughts......

Unleash the tornado

Offline nahadaman

• Future Richmond star
Re: Will we get a caretaker coach after the mid year review ?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 03:02:48 PM »
I hope Wally walks. I was excited when I heard he was sacked. I was going to tip us. Then extremely peaved when I found out it was not true. He can not get the players mentally in the game. I believe we can play good footy at times but last saturday watching the game i thought to myself at 3qtr time. Hope Terry can have an effect the players minds. He just can not.
Caretaker coach or even Sheeds in the box and in the huddles getting in their heads would be a good test to show what our current players can do.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 03:17:55 PM »
I am avocating 'playing the youth' for the rest of the season but I agree with you mat, I think it is time for TW to move aside to take the pressure off the club and see what our young players can do. We know what the older players can do so move them back to the Burgers for the rest of the season and either rest them up, put them in for early operations or get them ready for their farewell games at the end of the season.

Once the media have got their feeding frenzy on TW we may be left to concentrate on winning some games.

Stripes

FooffooValve

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 03:28:30 PM »
I'd only put a caretaker in if they clearly weren't going to continue on next season. I don't like this idea of "auditioning" someone for the permanent job — it isn't fair on them, and the club can find itself backed into a corner if they scrape up a couple of emotional wins.

I'd rather see the board direct Terry to play the kids as much as possible, let them just play footy without too many restrictions, and see how they go. Then they can take a good look at the list and take time to interview prospective candidates and make a decision with plenty of time before the ND and trade week. Not sure that Terry would want to do that though.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 03:34:23 PM »
I'm with FFV

Offline mat073

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 04:07:53 PM »
I dont want the interim coach to be auditioning for the job either.....I think we need a "Ben Allan" style of caretaker-someone who will step up and do the right thing by the club without having any agendas.

In many ways Im just curious to find out if there is any difference between Richmond now and a Wallace-less Richmond.

Unleash the tornado

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 04:12:59 PM »
That could work too.

Hey !!!! Actually give it to Jackstar, now that would be interesting. Semi-serious here  :shh

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 04:15:15 PM »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 08:10:13 PM »
It's interesting that people say we should only have a caretaker in the role if it means they wont be there in 2010.

With a caretaker there is always a chance that they will get gig permanantly - history shows that

Say we have a caretaker coach after the break (after rd 12) that leaves 10 games remaining for 2009.

What happens if the caretaker wins 7 or 8 games? What do you do then? Haven't they earnt a rgiht to be considered?

Alternatively what if we lose all 10 but there are marked signs of improvement in game style and players performances - do you not consider that person?

the idea of a caretaker worries me. Which means I am sitting on the fence on this one  ;D :thumbsup ;D :help  :P
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 09:52:44 PM »
Well today i was at a work function with a member of our 1980 team and he is convinved that there is a clause which is due to end wallace reign as coach of Richmond.

A 500 game clause in wallace's contract does not surprise me in the slightest as Terry is for Terry not the RFC.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 10:19:15 PM »
No caretaker because exactly what WP said will happen, geezus remember Geisham......... :scream :scream

Let Wallace do the year playing all the young players that he possibly can, Gourdis, Putt, Vickery (should be in anyway), Post, Browne, and the recruits in Hislop and Thompson to give us a bit of mongrel.

Next year clean out the whole coaching department, promote Rawlings to assistant coach and look at Hardwick & Longmire as coaches and Bond, maybe someone from the Cats, Hawks and Bulldogs as assiatants.

Bring in some non Richmond or previous Richmond people from successfull clubs to the board!!!

Shake it up a bit, also trade some of the players out of the club or just delist them, King, Bowden, Edwards, Hughes, Johnson, JON, Polo, Schulz, Simmonds and maybe Raines and Pattison for early picks or any pick for that matter.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline mat073

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 03:21:17 AM »
At the moment we have an extraordinary set of circumstances which is getting out of control.....The media are showing little compassion and it appears they will not relent until they get their man Terry.

Its total madness .....Compare Spuds demise to whats happening now.

This can not be a healthy environment for our players ...particularly the younger ones.

We need a return to some form of NORMALCY and I dont think that is going to happen while TW is there.

We should also take what happens with a caretaker coach with a grain of salt too....Richmond is about to enter the "JUNK TIME" phase of the season.As WAT alluded to-we dont want a Jeff Gieschen scenario to develop.
Unleash the tornado

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 03:40:39 AM »
If we don't win any games up to the mid season break then Wallace will walk.

Jade Rawlings will take over as he is expendable. Campbell won't touch it.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 01:00:44 AM »

What happens if the caretaker wins 7 or 8 games? What do you do then? Haven't they earnt a rgiht to be considered?

Alternatively what if we lose all 10 but there are marked signs of improvement in game style and players performances - do you not consider that person?

And what if Wallace stays and achieves that.
I am exhausted I give up  :banghead

Looking forward to not having to front up at the footy this week.

:gotigers

Offline mat073

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 01:49:19 AM »
Im exhausted too CUB....wake me up when 2009 is over.
Unleash the tornado