Author Topic: What do you want out of 2009?  (Read 4504 times)

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Whatd do you want out of 2009?
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2009, 03:36:08 PM »
Do I have to be realistic Pope ?

My heart says lets take inspiration from the Aussie cricket team and win 16 straight.

My head suggests Tank hard and Tank strong.

It pains me that we are in this situation.......I am about as logical as a pregnant woman at the moment.

I know come Friday I will be cheering the boys on- hoping for a win.I cant help myself.

I couldnt agree with you more  :thumbsup :thumbsup

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2009, 03:54:46 PM »
Popelord if you seen the press conference today you will see what jackstar & myself have been saying for years now our players are too under developed & are years behind other clubs. Richmond admitted this today thank you   ;D

You've just argued my point. Our younger players ARE too under developed. The only way to further there development is more game time and responsibilty at the elite level along with a development coach.

How is having Brown, Richo, Cousins, Simmonds, Johnson and Bowden taking up 6 spots in the best 22 going to help any development of the entire group. That leaves 6 players playing VFL when they could be advancing with there fellow teammates and learning the game.

well Bowden will play on his 15 season then you can retire him  ;D
The players are under developed & giving them unwarranted games destroys them, get them injured & takes years off thier careers, they lose interest & dont enjoy the game.  get feral
Then to develop them you need the staff to do it & Richmond staff suck why you think we are so behind. Leon Cameron was more the development coach when a Richmond player haha
you would be the type of person to drop Bowden for Edwards in the backline
Edwards is smaller then my youngest son & he kicks goals with a wet ball in pouring rain 50 metres on the run several times on the weekend & thats how under developed Edwards is that a 14 year old body is more developed, his a damaged player Edwards. Edwards should have been doing more outside work on his body than chasing girls. Nahas has done more in several games than he did his whole career. Thats because his the product of Gary Ayres who l rate a very good development coach of young players at Port Melbourne & its not the 1st time l mention Gary Ayres over the years here.
So put them under developed players out there on the main arena & watch them get smashed & the body starts to breakdown quickly & then with crap fitness & development staff more problems occur its a vicious circle that started many years ago. enter the medical staff they make the correct decisions NOT, cost Cousins, Richo, Brown, Tuck, Johnson, Deledio, Tambling, Thursfield, Coughlan, Moore, Simmonds, Hughes, what me to carry on l can tell you more about players being mis-managed & that itself cost games & coaching jobs

anyway l'm starting to get bored going over the same stuff

Your talking garbage and I don't think even you know what your going on about.

Fine lets play all the old players then when they decide to retire then we'll start debuting players.

Seeing as you can't be bothereed talking about it I'll finish on saying your horribly horribly wrong.

if thats the best comeback you got for my dont effing bother your a wanker

The defence rests your honor... :clapping
Go Tigers!

Offline Jobba

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2009, 04:25:03 PM »
Popelord if you seen the press conference today you will see what jackstar & myself have been saying for years now our players are too under developed & are years behind other clubs. Richmond admitted this today thank you   ;D

You've just argued my point. Our younger players ARE too under developed. The only way to further there development is more game time and responsibilty at the elite level along with a development coach.

How is having Brown, Richo, Cousins, Simmonds, Johnson and Bowden taking up 6 spots in the best 22 going to help any development of the entire group. That leaves 6 players playing VFL when they could be advancing with there fellow teammates and learning the game.

Interestingly, I came accross a development article today from what of pro-sports most successful teams, the NHL's Detroit Red Wings.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2009/news?columnist=lebrun_pierre&id=4222564
Funnily enough, they talk about letting players simmer in the minor leagues for a couple of years. This I agree with whole heartedly - make them earn a spot and keep their competitiveness strong. That concept of competitiveness - maybe not so much in AFL, but definatley throughout the basketball world (my line of sport) it is generally agreed that the best way to keep a young team or player developing is competitiveness for spots/roles/game time etc. as well as constant communication and analysis. I'm in all honesty happy with keeping players like Vickery, Post, Browne etc. in the reserves as long as it keeps them competitive and the coaches around Punt Road invest the time to help their understanding and development. I think its that last area of communication/player analysis that the club has struggles with in the past.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: What do you want out of 2009?
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2009, 04:30:50 PM »
What I hope happens for the rest of 2009 is that we create an environment which makes Deledio and Cotchin want to be 10 year plus players for the club.They have to see light at the end of the tunnel.

If that means winning 6-8 games so be it.....

Last thing we need is an "Ottens" situation where they both give up on the club.
Unleash the tornado

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2009, 06:55:05 PM »
What I hope happens for the rest of 2009 is that we create an environment which makes Deledio and Cotchin want to be 10 year plus players for the club.They have to see light at the end of the tunnel.

If that means winning 6-8 games so be it.....

Last thing we need is an "Ottens" situation where they both give up on the club.

And that, if we decide to tank, is going to be a very very fine line.  Hope all the tankers are comfortable with the risk.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2009, 07:07:30 PM »

Interestingly, I came accross a development article today from what of pro-sports most successful teams, the NHL's Detroit Red Wings.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2009/news?columnist=lebrun_pierre&id=4222564
Funnily enough, they talk about letting players simmer in the minor leagues for a couple of years. This I agree with whole heartedly - make them earn a spot and keep their competitiveness strong. That concept of competitiveness - maybe not so much in AFL, but definatley throughout the basketball world (my line of sport) it is generally agreed that the best way to keep a young team or player developing is competitiveness for spots/roles/game time etc. as well as constant communication and analysis. I'm in all honesty happy with keeping players like Vickery, Post, Browne etc. in the reserves as long as it keeps them competitive and the coaches around Punt Road invest the time to help their understanding and development. I think its that last area of communication/player analysis that the club has struggles with in the past.

Really well written article, and I very much agree. I think giving the taste of AFL to the likes of Gourdis, Vickory, Browne, Post even Putt a smell of it is teh best way to ge them to start believing and become competeive against each other.

I'd like to see internal pressure in selection between Pattison, Graham and Browne for 2 spots instead of Simmonds, Graham and Browne.

Same with Vickory, Riewoldt and Morton instead of two of them and Nathan Brown.

I think the young brigade if pushed and given confidence can produce some very special things and I believe we shoudl be giving opportunities in the 2nd half of 09.
Go Tigers!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2009, 07:13:21 PM »
Who is your preferred Caretaker Coach? the one who agree to play the kids and win no more than 2 games

Do you want to Tank or Win? Tank!

Would you play the best 22 or drop Brown, Simmonds, Bowden and play kids? The latter

Would you play Kane Johnson if he was fit? No not now given the season is gone

Whats your caretaker 22?

B:    Polo          Moore    Thursfield
HB:  Newman  McGaune   Rance
C:    Deledio     Jackson   Tambling
HF:  Cotchin    Riewoldt    Cousins
F:    Morton     Vickery      Nahas
R:    Graham    Tuck    Foley
Int:  Browne, Collins, Connors, Post
Emg: Pattison, Edwards, White (inj)
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2009, 07:40:26 PM »
Who is your preferred Caretaker Coach? the one who wont allow the tail to wag the dog (tiger)  ;D I actually have a preference but I will say no comment  ;) ;D

Do you want to Tank or Win? Not fussed. Let the result go the way they go

Would you play the best 22 or drop Brown, Simmonds, Bowden and play kids? Play the kids

Would you play Kane Johnson if he was fit? Farewell game only

Whats your caretaker 22?

B:    Polo          Moore    Silvestor
HB:  Newman  McGaune   Rance
C:    Deledio     Jackson   Tambling
HF:  Cotchin    Riewoldt    Cousins
F:    Morton     Vickery      Nahas
R:    Graham    Tuck    Foley
Int:  Thomson, Collins, White (when fit), Brown
Emg: Pattison, Edwards, Thursfield

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)