Author Topic: Trade week rumours and innuendo  (Read 48059 times)

Offline jezza

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Trade week rumours and innuendo
« Reply #135 on: September 16, 2009, 11:46:08 AM »
Supposedly that was one of the reasons he missed out at Essendon.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #136 on: September 16, 2009, 12:00:21 PM »
let them go at their own pace. GIVE ME A stuffin BREAK!!!

yeah the Lovett boys are doing a great job on & off the field by going at their own pace.

It was only until Lovett was threatened to be delisted that he started playing well.

Clubs should not be run like that. No one should be given special treatment, no matter who they are.

Remember Al Clarkson a few years back. Try tell him to not "shout" when Williams did the gesture of the choke or the shot gun.

"I remember his words were if you continue doing things like that you will become familiar with the exit door very soon"

Great response from a premiership coach

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #137 on: September 16, 2009, 05:29:44 PM »
A rumour on BF's North Board so take it with a grain of salt......

The other interest is from Richmond for Hale, I believe no discussions on this have taken place at this stage. From what I'm told the deal will need to be pretty good for us to move Hale on.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=631964

It must be rubbish as Hale has 3 years left on his contract and Scott wants him and Gibson to stay at North.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/84853/default.aspx

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #138 on: September 16, 2009, 07:57:29 PM »
No no and no.

Use the picks on kids.

North would want a first rounder for Hale if that rumour had any substance.
Would be trade week suicide.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #139 on: September 17, 2009, 01:08:21 AM »
No no and no.

Use the picks on kids.

North would want a first rounder for Hale if that rumour had any substance.
Would be trade week suicide.
100% agree Tucky no way! It would be just a band-aid measure. Given even North think he is a dud it'd be wishful thinking that they would get a 1st round pick.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #140 on: September 17, 2009, 01:34:08 AM »
Hawks hit with demand of $750,000 for Shaun Burgoyne.

Hawthorn, Shaun Burgoyne's preferred suitor, will meet the midfielder today amid suggestions Port Adelaide is keen to tie Jordan Lewis into any potential deal.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26083742-5013406,00.html

WEST Coast defender Matt Spangher has requested a trade to a Melbourne-based club next season.

Carlton, Collingwood and Hawthorn all have their sights on Spangher, who told the Eagles this week he wants to leave to be closer to family.

But West Coast, a club already dealing with similar requests from Brent Staker and Mark Seaby, has vowed not to let Spangher, 22, go without a fight.

Carlton is believed to be leading the race for Spangher, while Hawthorn's bid may depend on its efforts to attain North Melbourne's Josh Gibson.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/matt-spangher-wants-out-of-west-coast/story-e6frf9no-1225775278129

The Swans yesterday again ruled out interest in out-of-contract St Kilda midfielder Luke Ball, but they may make a play for out-of-contract West Coast flanker Mark Nicoski, who kicked the first goal of the 2005 grand final, won by Sydney.

Sydney could add two Eagles to its 2010 list as it is well down the track in negotiations to add out-of-contract West Coast ruckman Mark Seaby, who is keen to pursue his career elsewhere.

The management of Port Adelaide midfielder Steven Salopek has denied mounting speculation that Salopek wanted to return home to Victoria.

Brisbane defender Jason Roe was yesterday told by the Lions that his future in Queensland was limited and he was being put on the open market.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26083257-5013406,00.htm

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #141 on: September 18, 2009, 04:13:12 AM »
CARLTON reckons it can trade for contracted Bulldogs flanker Andrejs Everitt during next month's trade week. He's  understood to have been offered up to the Blues in exchange for a draft selection, and possibly a player. Carlton chief executive Greg Swan said the Blues would not part with its first-round pick, No. 11 overall. To clinch the deal, Swan said the Blues would be prepared to part with a second-round selection, which stands at No. 27.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26088449-5013406,00.html

Shaun Burgoyne told Hawthorn that he is prepared to play with them for significantly less ($600k) than he has asked for from Essendon and Melbourne ($750k).

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26088139-2722,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #142 on: September 19, 2009, 04:33:44 AM »
Eagles ruckman Mark Seaby looks set to spread his wings as a Swan after returning from a trip to Sydney this week where he met club officials and players.

Age link

The papers today also have the Hawks with their first 3 picks on the trade table as they chase players.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Fierce player trade storm brews (Australian)
« Reply #143 on: September 19, 2009, 04:38:45 AM »
Fierce player trade storm brews
Mick Malthouse | September 19, 2009

THERE'S a bit of a storm brewing in the AFL and it's got nothing to do with coaches, off-field scandals or Mad Mondays.

From what I am hearing, reading and seeing I reckon that this year you are going to see more players swapping clubs than you have for two decades.

The NRL never surprises me in terms of player movement, the players declare their intentions halfway through the year, play out the rest of the season and then they move. It looks odd to us, but that's the way they do it and it works for them.

In the AFL it is rare for a player to put his hand up before the end of the season and say that they are definitely going into the draft or they want to go to a club of choice - a form of free agency if you like.

I say it is extraordinary because I was talking to AFL operations manager Adrian Anderson on the All-Australian night, and I said to him that he must be pleased that the headlines this year have mainly been about the game.

There have been other times when the big news has little to do with what is happening on the field.

He agreed it has been a relatively quiet period.

However, I can see something building in the next few weeks and it is something I haven't seen for a long time in footy.

It seems the GC17 and the futuristic GWS, that is the Gold Coast and Western Sydney sides, are already having an impact on the game and they haven't even entered the senior competition. Certainly there seems to be something going on that has changed the nature of the way clubs negotiate with players.

I sense there is a reluctance on the players' part to sign their names on the dotted line. They are holding out just at a time when the clubs are very keen to get people locked down.

The 16 clubs going around this year want to make sure there is nobody poaching the talent they have and they want some certainty about their lists for the future.

There are a lot of players talking about moving.

We have already seen Shaun Burgoyne, who is one of the best five or six players at Port Adelaide, put his hand up to move on.

There were rumblings that Danyle Pearce may also want to join him in Melbourne, but he re-signed yesterday with Port for another three years.

I think Mark Williams will be bitterly disappointed by the Burgoyne move. He has backed his team to the hilt by signing on for another couple of years.

At Richmond there is Shane Tuck and Andrew Raines who also want to go and there is no indication from the Tigers that they are trying to keep them.

There is talk that Chris Tarrant wants to come back to Melbourne. And Aaron Sandilands was another whose name has been mentioned a few weeks ago.

Brian Lake looks set to sign with the Western Bulldogs now, but his name was doing the rounds for some time.

It is becoming very evident that the threat of taking the best 17-year-olds out of the draft and sending them to the GC17 has caused a blowback and has a massive effect on the recruitment programs of clubs.

We have been warned the Gold Coast is going to have enormous concessions and believe that the ones for West Sydney are going to be far greater.

Clubs who have young lists are going to be in a better position in the future than those who have older lists, as it may prove a nightmare to find good young talent for many years to come.

There are going to be some clubs in a much better state than others, if you want to find out who they are just look at those players who are over 28 or 29 and look at who the club has in terms of young talent to replace them. If they are top-heavy, they are in trouble.

While I probably would have liked to have had a few more experienced players in our team last weekend - not that it mattered in the end - I can see the benefits for the future in the number of young players we had in the side.

I think we might have had about nine players who were 22 or younger playing. Having that many on the field usually bodes well for the future, but when the future promises a prolonged drought in regards to young talent, it takes on added meaning.

The other thing that will happen and is already starting to happen because of this looming threat, is that experienced players will become more valuable.

You will now see clubs looking about to shore up their lists with ready-made players.

It is going to be a little bit more like the 1970s and 1980s when it comes to trading in experienced players.

This will not disappoint the AFL because this trade period has been relatively quiet recently and the more action there is, the more chance the code has to ward off talk of the need for free agency.

There has always been the threat that somebody could challenge this in court. The AFL will be happy to see a great turnover of players within the ranks to show that there is freedom to move about if players wish to.

Hawthorn has indicated it is prepared to give up draft picks for proven players and the club is mentioned around every player whose name pops up.

The salary cap will leave some disappointed clubs but it does open it up for players to go to a club like Melbourne who are sitting pretty at the moment because they have first pick at the December draft.

What we are seeing now will only be magnified further because there is a suggestion Adelaide's Kurt Tippett is only the tip of the iceberg of players wanting to go to Queensland because it is home. With two sides up there it is going to be a lot easier, especially if one has advantages in the draft.

Adelaide seem resigned to losing Tippett to the Gold Coast, but it begs the question how should they be compensated. The Crows have spent a number of years developing this player, he played a terrific semi-final, but it looks like he will not be signing a new contract.

I think we will see a rush for the revolving doors this year which is totally different to recent years.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it is a bad thing, I mean you don't want to lose players but I think things have been quite stagnant for a long time.

In modern football there has been a general reluctance for players to leave clubs. It is difficult to move players to another club. Everyone wants to be a lifer. The draft is strong with 18-year-olds, but once you get to the second or third rounds I think this year you will see clubs look at more experienced players as an alternative to the players who are left after GC17 and GWS take the cream.

It could be an interesting few months coming up.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26093431-16957,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #144 on: September 20, 2009, 04:59:08 AM »
Port are interested in Lovett

Hawthorn is understood to be considering trading its first draft selection and a player as part of a proposed Burgoyne deal.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/port-demands-high-price-for-burgoyne/2009/09/19/1253209041234.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #145 on: September 21, 2009, 02:12:00 AM »
Melbourne, Sydney, the Brisbane Lions and Carlton are also understood to be eyeing Bulldog Andrejs Everitt.

It will take a second-round pick, at least, to get the deal done.

There is speculation the Saints could be prepared to give up their first-round pick, 16 or 17, given the national draft pool is considered shallow.

That would clearly leave them in the box seat as Carlton is believed to be only interested in giving up a second-round pick.

Melbourne, which has the luxury of picks No. 1 and No. 2, might be keen enough to give up pick No. 18.

The Bulldogs are looking at Barry Hall. If the Dogs are to do a deal with Sydney, it is more likely to be for a third or even fourth-round pick - and possibly a bit-part player thrown in.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/versatile-andrejs-everitt-almost-certain-to-change-clubs/story-e6frf9n6-1225777244574

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #146 on: September 21, 2009, 07:17:38 AM »

The Bulldogs are looking at Barry Hall.

Talk about shutting the gate after the horse has bolted.  Structure is absolutely essential to making and winning grand finals and the Bulldogs would have won easily on Friday night with a Barry Hall in their forward line.

Tigermonk

« Reply #147 on: September 21, 2009, 09:48:23 AM »

The Bulldogs are looking at Barry Hall.

Talk about shutting the gate after the horse has bolted.  Structure is absolutely essential to making and winning grand finals and the Bulldogs would have won easily on Friday night with a Barry Hall in their forward line.

Thats for sure Smokey

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #148 on: September 23, 2009, 02:52:23 AM »
The Dogs have been in discussion with Barry Hall's management and it is understood the former Sydney Swans forward is close to nominating the Dogs as his preferred club.

The Hawks had spoken to Hall's management, but were put off by his asking price of as much as $400,000 a year.

They have also gone all-out to snare Shaun Burgoyne and Josh Gibson.

It is understood the Dogs will not pay in the $400,000 range, but are believed to be keen to move on Hall while their premiership window is open.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/scott-welshs-exit-opens-door-for-barry-hall/story-e6frf8w6-1225778367499

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #149 on: September 23, 2009, 08:30:19 PM »
UNBELIEVABLE:help

MELBOURNE announced on Wednesday that it had reached an in principle agreement with Carlton to trade Brock McLean for their first round draft pick (No.11 overall) in this year's NAB AFL National Draft.

McLean met with Melbourne officials on Monday and informed them of his request to be traded from the club.

The agreement with Carlton is subject to the completion of medical screenings and the finalisation of paperwork during the exchange period, which starts on 5 October.

Melbourne list manager Tim Harrington said the deal seemed like a fair outcome for both clubs.

“It is very disappointing to lose a player of Brock’s calibre," Harrington said. "Once Brock made this decision it was important that we secured a commensurate trade and this has been achieved.

“We are now in a very strong position at the National Draft with four selections inside the top 18, all before any other clubs’ second selections have occurred.

"In the context of the last uncompromised draft for a number of years, this represents an outstanding opportunity to further build and develop our young playing list.”

McLean, who has played 94 games with the Dees and was runner-up in last year's best and fairest, said he felt like the move from Melbourne was the best thing for his football career.

“While it has been an extremely tough decision as I have given the club my all, I am confident it is the right one for both parties," McLean said.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”