Author Topic: Richo or Cuzins?  (Read 1530 times)

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
Richo or Cuzins?
« on: August 26, 2009, 01:25:14 PM »
If you were hardwick and had to choose one of these two who would you choose?

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Richo or Cuzins?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 01:49:43 PM »
Both

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 02:06:39 PM »
Both  ;)  :yep

If we were forced to choose only one  :-\ then dare I say it - Cuz. Probably just for his leadership abilities onfield in showing our cubs the level and quality at which the game needs to be played. Richo would win some games off his own boot even from the wing but he would still be covering over the major cracks in the rest of the side. It's probably an indictment on the rest of our list especially the thin middle-age bracket that Richo and Cuz in their 30s are in the top 4 players on our list.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 02:30:18 PM »
Well what I'm going to say next is sure to spark some heated debate but...

I think Hardwick, our developing youth and the club in general would benefit from Richo's absence next year.  :outtahere In terms of the future and assisting in making us a better club going forward I can't see how he would benefit the process. Richo is not a natural leader, nor is he a great on-field role model. What he definitely is is a fantastic football player and athlete but given his injuries and age perhaps we should stop delaying the inevitable and retire him.

Even if we were to keep him for next year what would it achieve. he may take up the place of another developing player, cause problems in our forwardline, allow the opposition to run off him, bring disunity to the list - I don't know, but what actual benefits would our club get from keeping Richo in the long term?

I just can't see many other than supporter/media loyalty, thanks and universal love. That won't help us going forward though...

Sorry, just my take  :'(

Stripes

Offline tugga

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 02:54:22 PM »
Neither will be in our next premiership, but both could very well influence the players of our next premiership side.
Through hard work and discipline and teaching of younger players, both can clearly influence the list for the better.
Someone like Brown for instance, cannot and will not influence the list in a positive way.
Therefore, while none of our over 30s will play in our next flag, only Richo and Cuz have the ability to shape our next premiership. I would choose both of them, but if I had a gun to my head, I'd choose Cousins.
We will rise again and when we do, they will know.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 03:04:42 PM »
While I said I'd keep both, if you had to keep one then you'd keep Cousins as he probably has more than one year left
Very possible he could still play for another 2-3 years.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 02:51:55 AM »
The poll has spoken.

FooffooValve

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 11:23:13 AM »
If you choose Richo, you need someone who can hit him on the tit. If you choose Cousins, you need someone for him to kick it to. So choosing one means you have to choose the other.  :rollin

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 11:27:57 AM »
Richo unfortunantely has not got 2 or 3 years left in him. If and its a big if he gets over his hammy how effective will he be and at 34 he will definentely be susceptible to pulling it again. Is Damien prepared to if he is considering him to be reatined going to play him as a tall mid or a forward?

Cuz on the other hand is still yet to regain full fitness and he at least has 3 years left in him. He has super endurance and an inate ability to find the ball and use it.

Right now I have Cuz in front of Richo as much as I love the big fella.
In a perfect world I'd have both on the list just as most people on this forum would. :thumbsup

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 12:10:54 PM »
malcom blight when he took over crows...goodbye jarman, mcguiness and mcdermott

result-supporters in uproar

end result-2 flags

goodbye Richo.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 12:13:27 PM »

end result-2 flags

goodbye Richo.
Somehow I don't think axing Richo will win us a flag next year like Blight did at the Crows

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 01:49:57 PM »

end result-2 flags

goodbye Richo.

I wonder if we will see any DCMs after Friday night (dont come monday) :lol
Unleash the tornado

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 02:18:30 PM »

end result-2 flags

goodbye Richo.

Difference is we'll probably be moving 10-12 players on anyway. Adelaide that year would have moved on less than that I would have thought (A Jarman, McDermott, McGuinness, Weidemann, ????). The difference between retiring Richo now vs retiring Richo next year is a late/rookie pick this year vs. a similar pick next year. How much with GC17 affect the very late picks? Not sure but there may be a lot more available in the later picks next year due to the Jan-April kids not being available at this draft.

Plus Adelaide had Bickley, Jameson, D Jarman, N Smart, Modra etc in their prime where we have very little in the 26-30 age group to lead the group. Playing well Richo is a good leader and we could do with him.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 04:05:18 PM »

end result-2 flags

goodbye Richo.

Difference is we'll probably be moving 10-12 players on anyway. Adelaide that year would have moved on less than that I would have thought (A Jarman, McDermott, McGuinness, Weidemann, ????). The difference between retiring Richo now vs retiring Richo next year is a late/rookie pick this year vs. a similar pick next year. How much with GC17 affect the very late picks? Not sure but there may be a lot more available in the later picks next year due to the Jan-April kids not being available at this draft.

Plus Adelaide had Bickley, Jameson, D Jarman, N Smart, Modra etc in their prime where we have very little in the 26-30 age group to lead the group. Playing well Richo is a good leader and we could do with him.

I agree with your assessment of Adelaide v Tigers list development Jake but Richo is no leader. If we keep Richo it is for his athletic talent, skill and raw talent. He does not educate or lift those players around him, in fact the opposite could be argued. Richo is a champion of the game who is its heart and soul but don't expect him to help develop or even sacrifice his game for the young players around him. Richo knows only one way - fight for the ball and win the game off his own boot. He doesn't defend, block, shepherd or tackle - he is not a team players nor has he every been forced to be.

If he plays on it will be for the now not the future.

Stripes

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 04:14:47 PM »

I agree with your assessment of Adelaide v Tigers list development Jake but Richo is no leader. If we keep Richo it is for his athletic talent, skill and raw talent. He does not educate or lift those players around him, in fact the opposite could be argued. Richo is a champion of the game who is its heart and soul but don't expect him to help develop or even sacrifice his game for the young players around him. Richo knows only one way - fight for the ball and win the game off his own boot. He doesn't defend, block, shepherd or tackle - he is not a team players nor has he every been forced to be.

If he plays on it will be for the now not the future.

Stripes

I would have agreed with you 2-3 years ago Stripes, but when he switched to a wing I thought he changed. Suddenly it wasn't revolving around him kicking a winning score, but busting a gut, leading hard, taking a mark and relieving the pressure on our defenders. He doesn't defend, block or shepherd because he is doesn't naturally have defensive instincts or skills. But I do think there are players who lift their teammates primarily through taking contested marks (Richo, Carey, Brown) and this outweighs what they do or don't do defensively.