Author Topic: Tom Lynch [merged]  (Read 412898 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond would be “derelict in their duties” not to explore Lynch option, says Gale

By Alex Zaia
SEN
13 June 2018

Richmond CEO Brendon Gale has hinted that the Tigers would be prepared to make a move for Gold Coast Suns co-captain Tom Lynch if the opportunity presented itself.

Lynch is out of contract at the end of this season and has been linked with a move to Punt Road.

Gale spoke glowingly of the key forward and was open in revealing the clubs plans to secure the 25-year-old if he opted to not renew with the Suns.

“I think clubs would be derelict in their duties if they weren’t exploring those sorts of options," he told SEN's KB and The Doc.

“I don’t like talking about other players, particularly when they’re under contract, Tom Lynch is a Gold Coast player - he’s a fine player.

“If you’re ever in a position where he chose to leave, for whatever reason that might be, I’m sure we would be interested in exploring that, along with a host of other clubs.

Richmond defender Alex Rance said earlier this year that the addition of Lynch would “upset the apple cart.”.

While skipper Trent Cotchin says the club would be "silly" not to look at recruiting the in demand forward.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/06/13/richmond-would-be-derelict-in-their-duties-not-to-explore-lynch-option-says/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Upcoming free agent Tom Lynch may be forced to have surgery on his troublesome knee

Sam Edmund,
Herald Sun
June 15, 2018

TOM Lynch could face surgery on his troublesome knee, with the Gold Coast co-captain continuing to play in pain.

Lynch is still struggling with the complicated PCL injury that ended his 2017 season early and required a month on the sidelines earlier this year.

The in-demand restricted free agent has told the Suns he is playing sore and that his running and mobility has been effected by a knee that continues to swell up.

Surgery on PCL injuries is rare, but medical experts say it’s the only option if rest fails to fix the problem.

Jarryd Roughead, Luke Hodge, Cyril Rioli and Nakia Cockatoo have all undergone PCL operations in recent years.

Leading sports medico Dr Peter Larkins said PCL injuries were “underestimated as to how significant” they are.

“The PCL is a back-to-front surgery for the ACL. It’s a lot more difficult, technically, and generally over the years you’ll find 95 per cent are treated with a brace and rehabilitation. With the surgery there’s more complications and more infections.

“We’ve done 1,730 ACL reconstructions here (Epworth Hospital) in the last two years and we’ve done 14 PCL’s so there’s the sign … and there’s dozens and dozens out there in AFL circles who don’t have surgery. Most knee surgeons don’t do it.

“The equipment is different, it’s at the back of the knee not the front of the knee, but it’s the same principle — if your knee is loose you tighten it up and they use a hamstring graft; same as the ACL.”

Victorian Lynch, 25, is being wooed with multi-million dollar offers and the chance to return home from Collingwood and Richmond as the Suns fight to stop him joining their ongoing exodus.

How the injury effects Lynch’s immediate future, if at all, remains to be seen.

He is known for his toughness and willingness to play through pain, with coach Stuart Dew admitting his forward needed to be convinced to take time off earlier this year.

“Sometimes they get away with it … the problem is if you keep playing the swelling in the knee makes the knee stretch up and so a PCL that’s a medium one becomes a high grade one over a period of time because it gets looser,” Larkins said.

“I think there’s going to be more of them and when you hear a story like Lynch you think ‘What’s his next option? Well, his next option is to say ‘Let’s have the operation that Jarryd Roughead had, that Luke Hodge had, because they’re back playing.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/gold-coast/upcoming-free-agent-tom-lynch-may-be-forced-to-have-surgery-on-his-troublesome-knee/news-story/f2c68bacc50736364941fde8046c6664

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Anyone still wanna pay seven figures? :shh

Have a sneaking suspicion we're trying force Collingwood to decide between re-signing De Goey and signing Lynch and we'll pounce on whoever they don't choose (hope it's De Goey)... :shh :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
Ruptured my PCL 6 weeks ago. Felt terrible for the first 2-3 weeks but almost feel like I could run at the moment. Don't think it'd be wise, would probably blow the knee out but I feel good walking.

Recurring troubles with it would be a nightmare for Tom
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame

Have a sneaking suspicion we're trying force Collingwood to decide between re-signing De Goey and signing Lynch and we'll pounce on whoever they don't choose (hope it's De Goey)... :shh :shh

Like :clapping

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland

I have thought for some time now that us chasing Lynch has some other agenda behind it. Have no idea what that is, just something about all this doesn't seem to fit into place.

The thing is, I just don't see Lynch being worth that much money to us. I know we need another tall, and with Jack presumably coming to the end of his career, it may well be sooner rather than later.

But at this stage, I feel we are looking at shaking loose someone other than Lynch. May well be De Goey.

I did post a few weeks ago, in jest I might add, that I thought we should grab Moore from Collingwood. Maybe we are looking at him. It sounds like he is leaving Collingwood?

Dougeytherichmondfan

You'd have to expect we'd be genuinely chasing Lynch, otherwise his management would show us the door quick smart.

Just keeping a few extra irons in the fire, if we are into JDG, I'd expect. At the very least shaping up our direct opponent and finding a weakness. We're in no danger of losing a likely A grader this year due to contract talks.

As for Moore, Sydney seems the perfect fit for him, both on and off the field .... I'd expect that's where he'll head if he were to leave the Pies.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Spud Frawley: Richmond can not pay Tom Lynch more than Dustin Martin. That stuff can destabilise a club.

https://twitter.com/1116sen/status/1008173348013031424

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Spud Frawley: Richmond can not pay Tom Lynch more than Dustin Martin. That stuff can destabilise a club.

I don't think that Lynch should get more than the lowest paid player out for Cotch, Rance and Martin, let alone Dusty.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame

I don't think that Lynch should get more than the lowest paid player out for Cotch, Rance and Martin, let alone Dusty.

I agree.
I havn't seen much of Tom Lynch play but an offer around 800k and playing with a quality club with excellent resources should be enough incentive. If not collingwood can pay overs and we entice De gooey
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Pay $4m over 5 years but give him a 2 year $2.4m deal to scare off the GC. Then extend contract at the end of 2019 for another 3 years and add the $1.6m balance
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
As a player, Whateley doesn’t believe Lynch should be earning over a million.

“He’s borderline worth a million dollars I reckon. I reckon he’s an $800,000 forward on the way that we measure players,” he said.

“He’s been on a substantial amount of money for a number of years, it’s time to go and live your career somewhere else.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/06/17/is-tom-lynch-worth-a-million-dollars/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GOLD Coast co-captain Tom Lynch is the hottest free agent in the AFL this season but could there be a long-term injury concern that forces clubs to rethink their offers to lure him?

Richmond, Collingwood and Hawthorn are among the clubs chasing the star forward but as revealed in this week’s edition of the SuperFooty podcast, those clubs will need to tread carefully.

Michael Warner, Jon Ralph and Nick Smart discuss Lynch’s injury and its long-term effects in this week’s edition of the SuperFooty podcast.

AUDIO: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode/?id=246695

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Yeah not worth it....either go for McGovern instead or better yet a quality mid and a cheaper KPP (just not Brad Miller/Aaron Edwards "cheap"...)  :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
Yeah not worth it....either go for McGovern instead or better yet a quality mid and a cheaper KPP (just not Brad Miller/Aaron Edwards "cheap"...)  :shh
Yes. Haha. Please no more Brad Miller Kent Kingsley types.  :lol

I reckon we are a young bull midfielder too short and we have to endure the likes of Reece “Clanger” Conca constantly butcher the ball or make terrible decisions with the ball which more times than not make life more difficult for his teammates.

I’d throw the kitchen sink at Ollie Wines. Hasn’t signed for some reason and I reckon those wankers at port owe us for all the crap they’ve given us over the years. Stealing Ollie would be sweet payback for Chaplin.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Yes. Haha. Please no more Brad Miller Kent Kingsley types.  :lol

I reckon we are a young bull midfielder too short and we have to endure the likes of Reece “Clanger” Conca constantly butcher the ball or make terrible decisions with the ball which more times than not make life more difficult for his teammates.

I’d throw the kitchen sink at Ollie Wines. Hasn’t signed for some reason and I reckon those wankers at port owe us for all the crap they’ve given us over the years. Stealing Ollie would be sweet payback for Chaplin.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=v1llng27&id=AB1FF690B26C1E0BBF54D69A72A51C22DE224CB1&thid=OIP.v1llng27wkPCKK6SIGXeUgHaEH&mediaurl=http%3a%2f%2fs.afl.com.au%2fstaticfile%2fAFL%2520Tenant%2fNorthMelbourne%2fFiles%2fGifs%2f140915_gif_4.gif&exph=222&expw=400&q=robbie+nahas+gif&simid=607986604913330084&selectedIndex=2&ajaxhist=0

The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S