Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 904255 times)

gerkin greg

Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #1560 on: June 27, 2013, 12:07:43 PM »
 :cheers

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #1561 on: June 27, 2013, 12:45:42 PM »
Word on the street is the deal has been done.

Dont play love games with me, TBR.
What do you know, son?

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #1562 on: June 27, 2013, 01:07:36 PM »

What do you know, son?

Just that Willy, I was told last night by someone who I think would know that it has all been sorted, terms and everything agreed to and it is just a matter of getting all the formalities done and it will be announced.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

gerkin greg

« Reply #1563 on: June 27, 2013, 01:19:33 PM »
Still tuning Mama Martin?

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1564 on: June 27, 2013, 01:57:39 PM »

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #1565 on: June 27, 2013, 03:21:04 PM »

What do you know, son?

Just that Willy, I was told last night by someone who I think would know that it has all been sorted, terms and everything agreed to and it is just a matter of getting all the formalities done and it will be announced.

Beauty.
Thanks for the good word

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #1566 on: June 28, 2013, 01:59:34 PM »
As if he would leave.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1567 on: June 28, 2013, 04:54:20 PM »
You sound like Mark Brayshaw  :shh
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1568 on: July 14, 2013, 12:59:48 AM »
Made a few clangers (wasn't Robinson Crusoe on that front last night) but with 31 possies Dusty really stood up last night and was proactive with his play. He's having a very good year IMO. All we need him to do is keep it up and re-sign :yep.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1569 on: July 14, 2013, 01:46:56 AM »
Another solid game, really looking more athletic this year which is great and has certainly run himself into better fitness since the start of the year. Would like to see him bag a few more goals though, like 2011.

Is he worth $650k though? Probs not. I price him at about $550k, $600k if that's what it takes to keep him.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1570 on: July 24, 2013, 03:50:29 AM »
Stability is the key for Tiger

Caroline Wilson
    The Age
    July 24, 2013

On the one hand, Dustin Martin is one of football's good news stories for 2013. Barely 22, the prodigiously talented young Tiger began the season under a cloud from which there seemed no escape after a pre-season beset by innuendo and genuine trouble, culminating in a subtle form of intervention by Richmond.

There was high anxiety for both player and club as Martin was coming off a 2012 campaign which failed to live up the standards he had set the previous year - his second in the AFL.

Martin's problems were being investigated among a series of sinister off-field tales of wild summer behaviour at a time when the game was bracing itself for an illicit drugs summit. The rumour mill became volcanic, but all along the Tigers protected their man.

Since the season started, Martin has found refuge in the game, which seems to come so naturally to him. As his club looks headed towards its first finals series in 12 years, the brilliant young player probably sits in the top five in the club's best and fairest, and near the top of the competition in score assists. He should have kicked five goals against Fremantle on Sunday.

Now the bad news. Martin is out of contract and there is a significant gap between what he is asking to play for Richmond for the next two years and what the club is offering. He won plenty last time around because his manager, Ricky Nixon, played the Tigers off against the fledgling Greater Western Sydney and leaked reports Martin had been offered staggering sums by the Giants. (The Giants have since denied they made an offer.)

Martin re-signed for a reported $450,000 and the reports now are that whatever the Tigers and their new football boss Daniel Richardson have put on the table - other clubs have offered $150,000 more.

Martin is now being managed by Ralph Carr, the former Carlton director who was in Sydney this week amid strong speculation that, should Martin walk out of Richmond, his home of choice would be Sydney, which is where his father lives.

And yet the Giants have again denied they are looking at Martin and Swans boss Andrew Ireland on Tuesday ruled out making the young Tiger an offer. Just which clubs are looking at Martin remains a mystery.

So if it is true that Martin is looking to leave Richmond if the club cannot come to terms with him on money, Sydney does not look a likely home for him. Richardson's view appears to be that the Tigers will no longer over-pay its players to retain them.

It remains a concern that, with August just around the corner, neither Martin nor Jack Riewoldt have signed, but someone should advise Martin and his management that they should back his talent and sign now for two years.

Martin's upbringing was not easy, but he appears to have found a home at Tigerland where he feels secure, happy and well liked.

Captain Trent Cotchin reportedly played host to Martin, his house guest over Martin's troubled summer, and continues to treat him as something of a younger brother.

Club leaders Chris Newman and Brett Deledio also work a fine line between being teammates and guardians.

Club president Gary March housed him for close to two years and the Tigers' development coach, Mark Williams, has built a strong relationship with the players for whom a change of routine remains an issue.

Richmond, according to AFL head office, deserves significant credit for its management of a talented but occasionally wayward young man for whom football has became a saving grace.

It is significant that just over a year ago, Martin was suspended for disciplinary reasons and was a spectator when the Tigers lost in Cairns to the Gold Coast Suns, while this year he starred and Richmond won.

Perhaps for Martin, management will be the best the club can hope for and that is no small thing. Surely those around him away from the club can see that stability in his case is something money cannot buy.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/stability-is-the-key-for-tiger-20130723-2qhk6.html#ixzz2ZtNEYaYH

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1571 on: July 24, 2013, 04:00:09 AM »
Are you an insomniac OE?

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1572 on: July 24, 2013, 04:59:39 AM »
Are you an insomniac OE?

If he is, I'm not sure you're the person to fix it.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1573 on: July 24, 2013, 07:41:43 AM »
WP any comments?

You have been dead right on all of our players

Dusty will sign yeah?

Surely when we dump mcguane and nahas we will surely have enough in the cap

If we lose Dusty hopefully the club come out and explain his there was no money left after signing Grigg, Mcguane and Nahas on descent size contracts

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1574 on: July 24, 2013, 07:56:50 AM »
Dusty is not going anywhere. Will hold out for as long as possible to get the best offer he can from the club then sign on.  ;)