Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 904579 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #3330 on: February 02, 2014, 02:13:30 AM »
It's mentioned in today's Age as well ...

Collingwood's Dane Swan reveals he and Richmond's Dustin Martin are 'good mates'

Jon Pierik
    The Age
    February 2, 2014

Brownlow medallist Dane Swan has revealed his friendship with Richmond's Dustin Martin but insists he is not a mentor for the sometimes wayward Tiger.

Swan, who has weathered his own discipline issues at Collingwood through the years, said he and Martin were ''mates''.

''We are good mates, we have dinner a bit, just chat about footy, just like mates,'' Swan said.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/collingwoods-dane-swan-reveals-he-and-richmonds-dustin-martin-are-good-mates-20140201-31ty8.html

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3331 on: February 02, 2014, 08:48:35 AM »
First Toby Mitchell and Jake King, now Dane and Dusty what's next? David Beckham and Jack?

WGAF
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3332 on: February 02, 2014, 02:56:59 PM »
First Toby Mitchell and Jake King, now Dane and Dusty what's next? David Beckham and Jack?

To quote a trademark on this site:

Terrific, just terrific. TM

:lol :lol

Though can I say I'd prefer Dusty hanging out with Dane the tattoo man than Toby Mitchell  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #3333 on: February 02, 2014, 05:06:54 PM »
Swan won a brownlow, hope it rubs off
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #3334 on: February 02, 2014, 05:08:03 PM »
Apparently Dusty hangs out with Toby Mitchell too
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

gerkin greg

« Reply #3335 on: February 02, 2014, 07:42:36 PM »
Is Toby Mitchell the guy in Spider-Man?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3336 on: February 03, 2014, 09:24:17 PM »
Stat of the Day:

Martin's Contested Possession rate throughout his career so far:

2010- 45.0% CP
2011- 40.6% CP
2012- 36.5% CP
2013- 28.7% CP

https://twitter.com/AnthonyGilberg

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #3337 on: February 03, 2014, 09:39:09 PM »

I believe that's Tony Mitchell
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #3338 on: February 04, 2014, 02:54:04 PM »
No gerks its that other Toby... :shh ;) They both like to wear lycra.

tony_montana

« Reply #3339 on: February 04, 2014, 04:20:25 PM »
Stat of the Day:

Martin's Contested Possession rate throughout his career so far:

2010- 45.0% CP
2011- 40.6% CP
2012- 36.5% CP
2013- 28.7% CP

https://twitter.com/AnthonyGilberg

Wuld like to see his cp go up again, think he was a formidable inside out mid in his first 2 seasons, even more amazing bc of his age, now he's stronger, fitter, he'd tear it up

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #3340 on: February 04, 2014, 08:00:13 PM »
I know what you're saying there t_m but where is he more useful to us, as an inside mid who is pretty good at extracting the pill out of a tight pack, or getting it out to him for a 20m run and carry, then a 60m spot pass inside fiddy, which not many players can do as effectively as Dusty. Does he need to kick more goals to justify playing him in the forward line?
The question is can we get it out to him in the first place-we are starting the season minus 10 in that area imv with the loss of Tuck.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond has forgiven star Dustin Martin for threatening to quit the club (H-S)
« Reply #3341 on: February 04, 2014, 11:49:58 PM »
Richmond has forgiven star Dustin Martin for threatening to quit the club

Michael Warner
    February 04, 2014 9:51PM

RICHMOND says it has forgiven Dustin Martin for threatening to walk out on the club.

The star midfielder appeared lost to the Tigers after he was publicly shopped around by his manager Ralph Carr last in October.

But coach Damien Hardwick yesterday said a quiet beer with Martin helped to change the young Tiger's mind.

"Do I wish it had could have played out differently? Yeah I do. Do I wish it had not been as public? Of course I do," Hardwick said

"But you've got to understand that Dustin Martin and me, and to our team, is family. And family make some blues - but you certainly forgive and forget. We've welcomed him back in with open arms."

"He's a player that I look at and think, 'Geez, this guy is 22 years of age'. He's an incredible talent and he's only going to get better and he's going to learn from his mistakes that he made through his last contract negotiation and probably realise that this is the place where he always wanted to be."

Hardwick said he met Martin over a beer at the height of the contract stand-off between the club and his manager.

"Sometimes the easiest thing to do is sit down like a mate and have a beer with them and just tell them where it is," Hardwick said.

"There was myself and (midfield coach) Danny Daly and Aaron Edwards as well and we just sat there and had a chat about life. He knew that we loved him as a player and he probably reciprocated it.

"It probably solidified where he was at our footy club. He could have quite easily gone - let's make no mistake about that but he knew where he wanted to be."

Hardwick said the entire Richmond list had returned from the off-season in top shape after last September's disastrous finals loss to Carlton.

"The guys have come back in really good shape ... our training intensity has been very good. And I think most sides realise that of you start well you generally hold on and try and finish well," he said.

"The guys want to win. They had a taste last year of what it takes to play finals footy and how exciting that was in front of 95 or 96,000. I've been very fortunate in my career to be part of some clubs that have played in some very big games but I don't think I have ever heard anything like that roar of the Carlton and Richmond (game).

"It's a long road to get back to there and you've got to make sure you tick every box before that and that's what our players did in the off-season - they came back fit, they came back in good shape and ready to work."

Hardwick said the club's growing stocks of talent meant senior spots were up for grabs for the Round 1 clash against the Gold Coast at Metricon Stadium.

"We had a bit of time before and were trying to pencil in our side. It's really hard. The great thing about our football club now is that (recruiting chief) Francis Jackson and (list manager) Blair Hartley have done a terrific job of bringing in talent through the door - and talent that I think can add straight away," he said.

"Depth is a crucial element in today's game because obviously we know it's a game of attrition.

"We are at a stage now where probably three years ago players played because regardless they were our best players - but now we have got depth in all positions. We probably did have it last year but we think we have improved again in that facet this year."

Hardwick said veteran midfielder Nathan Foley, who was dropped for the Carlton final, had been a standout performer across the pre-season.

"It was disappointing for Nathan and a difficult call for us to make as a match committee. But he has had a terrific pre-season as has Chris Newman and they are two guys we expect to be entrenched in the side come Round 1."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-has-forgiven-star-dustin-martin-for-threatening-to-quit-the-club/story-fndv8t7m-1226818022263

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
I'm still a little bitter towards Du$tin after all the drama he put the Tiger faithful through .

Let's hope he has a big year .
Unleash the tornado

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond family embraces Dustin Martin after contract adventure (Age)
« Reply #3343 on: February 05, 2014, 01:57:30 AM »
Richmond family embraces Dustin Martin after contract adventure
   Peter Hanlon
    The Age
    February 5, 2014

Damien Hardwick wishes Dustin Martin's very public peek over the fence at other football paddocks hadn't happened, but is convinced the events of last September have strengthened for both parties the brilliant midfielder's standing in the Richmond family.

Speaking at the club's community camp in Warrnambool on Tuesday, the Tigers coach said Martin had been welcomed back ''with open arms'' after he eventually signed a new two-year contract, despite having tested the waters for a potential change of clubs.

The 22-year-old's Richmond days were thought to be over after he met with Greater Western Sydney and fielded interest from several clubs, including a late courting by Essendon.

''Do I wish it could have played out differently? Yes, I do,'' Hardwick said. ''Do I wish it could have not been as public? Of course I do.

''But you've got to understand, Dustin Martin to me and to our team is family, and family make some blues. But you certainly forgive and you forget also. We welcomed him back in with open arms.

''I think the thing that we found is it solidified where he was in our footy club. He could quite easily have gone, let's make no mistake about that, but he knew where he wanted to be. We spoke about this as the best place for his footy and the best place for us to go forward.''

At the height of the uncertainty over his future immediately after the Tigers' 2013 season ended in an elimination final loss to Carlton, Hardwick met Martin for a beer with assistant coach Danny Daly and teammate Aaron Edwards. The coach said it was a good reminder that footballers were on the whole young men who could feel uneasy about their place in a group.

''He's a terrific young fella, he's made enormous inroads,'' Hardwick said. ''He's a player I look at and think, jeez, this guy's 22 years of age. He's an incredible talent, and he's only going to get better. He's going to learn from his mistakes that he made through his last contract negotiation, he'll probably realise this is the place he always wanted to be. He'll learn some lessons along the way.''

Hardwick was bullish about Martin's approach to 2014, hailing his time trial performances and also his focus on improving his defensive game ahead of playing an increased role in the back half.

''He's run some times that we haven't seen from him before, he's learning some new skills,'' Hardwick said of a half-back role Martin trialled last season and is expected to see more of after interchange rotations were capped at 120.

The coach is also buoyed by the competition for spots in Richmond's best 22, praising recruiters Francis Jackson and Blair Hartley for delivering a list laden with ready-to-go talent. He would not be drawn on how many round-one spots were up for grabs, but hailed the club's depth as he enters a fifth season at the helm at Punt Rd.

''It's a crucial element in today's game - obviously we know it's a game of attrition - but we're really pleased with the players they brought in who are capable of playing footy straight away. Even to the point of last year, the 22, 23-year-olds that we've brought in have seamlessly worked their way through.

''[It's] hard to say [how many] spots, what we will say is, if you're playing well enough you're gunna get a game. Probably three years ago we had guys that we played because, regardless [of form], they were our best players. Now we've got depth in all positions and we feel that if a guy's playing well enough, they'll play.

''We haven't been in this position … we probably did have it last year, but we think we've improved again in that facet this year.''

Hardwick predicted there would be more tough calls made along the lines of leaving 10-year Tiger Nathan Foley out of last year's final against Carlton, but welcomed this as a sign of the club maturing.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/richmond-family-embraces-dustin-martin-after-contract-adventure-20140204-31zhg.html

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Needs a big two years and another contract to win me back over.