Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 902187 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #3945 on: May 23, 2016, 08:14:20 PM »
I can't find match hilights on the webbie. anyone?
Ox, some match highlights are here: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2016-05-22/round-9-highlights

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3946 on: May 23, 2016, 08:15:36 PM »
Another man to impress for the Tigers on Saturday night was Dustin Martin (30 disposals). Cotchin said he was happy with his teammate's form after a difficult off-season in which Martin was at the centre of the Mr Miyagi restaurant scandal, and his father Shane was deported to New Zealand.

"For someone who doesn't actually test that well in the gym he's a beast. He's so strong. I was talking to [fellow midfielder] Anthony Miles after the game and he said 'I just wish I had the same strength as Dusty' because I'd get out of so much trouble.

"He's been fantastic the last month.".

Source: The Age website

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #3947 on: May 23, 2016, 08:29:09 PM »
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3948 on: May 23, 2016, 09:11:20 PM »
Another man to impress for the Tigers on Saturday night was Dustin Martin (30 disposals). Cotchin said he was happy with his teammate's form after a difficult off-season in which Martin was at the centre of the Mr Miyagi restaurant scandal, and his father Shane was deported to New Zealand.

"For someone who doesn't actually test that well in the gym he's a beast. He's so strong. I was talking to [fellow midfielder] Anthony Miles after the game and he said 'I just wish I had the same strength as Dusty' because I'd get out of so much trouble.

"He's been fantastic the last month.".

Source: The Age website

I was wondering how he tested in the gym compared to some of the other midfielders. A lot has to do with his core strength but also his skill and timing and performing his trademark don't argue.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3949 on: May 23, 2016, 09:17:41 PM »
what it shows is that they are training and testing for the wrong things in gym
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3950 on: May 23, 2016, 09:20:22 PM »
Eh, some people have it and some people don't.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #3951 on: May 23, 2016, 09:28:17 PM »
Tim Watson doesn't think he's a bonafide star
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3952 on: May 23, 2016, 11:30:53 PM »

Exactly this.

tony_montana

« Reply #3953 on: May 24, 2016, 11:01:06 AM »

Exactly this.

x2

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond star Dustin Martin thrives spending more time in the midfield

SAM EDMUND
Herald Sun
May 24, 2016

DUSTIN Martin has changed the way he plays football.

The midfielder with the powerful frame, tattoos and the best ‘don’t argue’ in football, is now officially that — a midfielder.

The fact is, for the first six and a bit seasons of his career, Martin has been a forward as much as he’s been an on-baller.

The Tigers have had a bit each way on their talented 2009 No. 3 pick, and he has delivered more often than not in both areas.

But Martin’s deployment as a permanent inside midfielder in the past month has sparked a career-best run of form that’s causing chaos for rivals. The finishing class remains, but it’s now preceded by more wrecking-ball menace at the coalface.

From 2010 to 2015 and in the first five rounds this year, Martin spent less than half his games in the midfield. Yet from rounds 6-9 he’s been in there 83 per cent of the time.

Whether that was to cover for the loss of Trent Cotchin and Kane Lambert only coach Damien Hardwick knows. But what everyone now knows is that Martin now has to stay there.

His contested possession average has skyrocketed from 8.6 in the first five weeks to 14.8 in the last four and clearances have gone from three per game to 5.5. He now attends 17.5 centre bounces a match, up from 9.8.

But where Martin’s influence is most telling is the fact that, along with ripping the ball from stoppages, he’s also taken his metres gained from 304m per game to 533m.

Clearance players lethal on the burst are the dream combination for coaches. Think Chris Judd and Gary Ablett in their primes.

Critically, of the 190 players in the past month to win at least 40 per cent of their possessions contested, Martin ranks No. 1 in the competition for metres gained with Patrick Dangerfield second.

It’s been a remarkable form surge after a turbulent off-season plagued by restaurant scandals and his father Shane’s deportation to New Zealand.

Martin gave a “shout out” to his dad on live television after another commanding display against Fremantle, before Cotchin praised his teammate’s strength.

“For someone who doesn’t actually test that well in the gym he’s a beast,” Cotchin told Channel 9.

“He’s so strong. I was talking to Anthony Miles after the game and he said: ‘I just wish I had the same strength as Dusty because I’d get out of so much trouble’.

“He’s been fantastic the last month.”

2010-2015   Rounds 1-5    Rounds 6-9

Rankings Points                             95         93           123

Disposals                                    23.4       24.0          29.3

Contested Possessions                  8.4        8.6          14.8

% of possessions won contested    36%      36%         52%

Clearances                                   3.3        3.0          5.5

Time spent in midfield                 49%        47%        83%

Source: Champion Data   

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-star-dustin-martin-thrives-spending-more-time-in-the-midfield/news-story/8880650d0bcd39e3996f98ad6daa8f68

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3955 on: May 24, 2016, 04:15:50 PM »
They're geniuses down at the club.
We've got a big inside mid from the 2009 draft who excelled at inside work in his first 2 years. We nearly destroy him playing him as an outside mid.
We then go and get Townsend and Moore because we lacked big bodied inside mids before we realise we already had two of the best in Martin and Vlastuin.
We then play them in their best places and they blossom.........................

Einstein would be turning in his grave......
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3956 on: May 24, 2016, 04:19:15 PM »
unless not playing a true, inside  getting smashed from pillar to post every week role, until you are mid twenties and you body has matured extends your career?

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3957 on: May 24, 2016, 04:42:23 PM »
unless not playing a true, inside  getting smashed from pillar to post every week role, until you are mid twenties and you body has matured extends your career?
So David Armitage, Dan Hannebery et al will have shortened careers? I don't think so.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

tony_montana

« Reply #3958 on: May 24, 2016, 04:52:56 PM »
Martin wasnt your normal run of the mill young body - was putting hodge down on his arse with dont argues in his first preseason

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3959 on: May 24, 2016, 05:02:04 PM »
So David Armitage, Dan Hannebery et al will have shortened careers? I don't think so.
you dont think the rigours of playing an inside role in the AFL could take its toll on an immature body?