Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 904579 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #4680 on: April 01, 2019, 10:44:46 AM »
Dustin Martin is paid $1.2 million a year and played like a $500,000 player. He has to involve himself in the game, as pointed out by Leigh Matthews on Channel 7 yesterday.

“He looks like he’s off the ball when it comes to him being destructive,” Matthews said.

“His ball-winning and ability to fend off the tackle and get into space and create that Richmond overlap run, we’re not seeing at the moment.”

Because Martin doesn’t really defend and Tommy Lynch is one of the worst defensive forwards in the competition, when both are in the forward 50m it can create an issue.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/the-tackle-mark-robinsons-likes-and-dislikes-for-round-2-of-afl-action/news-story/fd65c98ca163a846d32d162ce24d6e4e

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4681 on: April 01, 2019, 03:55:35 PM »
Get back to basics should be Dimmas instructions not this fancy stuff and spend more time in the guts.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #4682 on: April 01, 2019, 04:59:17 PM »
Is he Injured?

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4683 on: April 01, 2019, 05:17:39 PM »
Richmond’s Dustin Martin did not do enough to influence last night’s Round 2 clash with Collingwood, according to veteran journalist Mike Sheahan.

The 2017 Brownlow and Norm Smith Medallist had just 19 disposals, two inside 50s and zero tackles in the 44-point defeat to the Magpies at the MCG.

Levi Greenwood did a great job of negating Martin’s impact but the Tigers superstar could have done more to get himself into the game says Sheahan.

“I think Dustin Martin’s off,” he said on SEN Breakfast.

“He’s the bloke who turns the game more than anyone else in the competition and he’s not doing it.

“When you are the best player in the competition, you live with that (close attention).

“Dustin didn’t work hard enough.

“There are high standards expected of blokes who are the best players in the comp and he’s on $1.2 million a year.

“I’m not being picky on him. I’m just saying, when you are that good, you have to fight through that situation.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/03/29/richmond-star-martin-did-not-work-hard-enough-sheahan/

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #4684 on: April 01, 2019, 06:04:06 PM »
Can feel a "mental health break" coming for Dustin at some point this year.....:shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

strongandbold

« Reply #4685 on: April 01, 2019, 06:14:54 PM »
Can feel a "mental health break" coming for Dustin at some point this year.....:shh

All for it if it helps him get back to his best.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #4686 on: April 01, 2019, 06:48:35 PM »
We're not paying him over 1mill per season to stuff off to NZ....:shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4687 on: April 01, 2019, 06:52:24 PM »
If he waits until after the election he'll only need to pee off to Wetherill Park.... :shh

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

strongandbold

« Reply #4688 on: April 01, 2019, 07:10:26 PM »
We're not paying him over 1mill per season to stuff off to NZ....:shh

No, we are paying him to perform.  No use having him out on the field if he isn't performing due to struggles.

We don't forced injured players on the ground just because "We aren't paying them for them to not play' why force those facing mental struggles?

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #4689 on: April 01, 2019, 07:24:40 PM »
Who said he's currently facing mental struggles.....:shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Father of Dusty Martin reveals why son turned down whopping AFL deal

By Zoe Zaczek
For Daily Mail Australia

Ex-bikie father of AFL superstar Dusty Martin reveals why his son turned down the biggest contract in the league's history - and says he was too drunk to join in on early negotiations

Dustin Martin's father has revealed how his son battled contract negotiations
    Shane Martin has released book which details his relationship with AFL star son
    Shane writes that the Richmond boss came to visit him in New Zealand in 2017
    Former bikie admitted he was too drunk to meet with Neil Balme to talk business
    Dustin was offered a whopping $12million over seven years by North Melbourne

Updated: 11:54 AEDT, 2 April 2019

Shane Martin, who was deported from Australia in 2016, has admitted in a new book that he was too drunk to help his son negotiate contract deals with Richmond Tigers and North Melbourne.

The former Rebels bikie gang member, who lives in New Zealand, was paid a visit by Richmond boss Neil Balme as the season edged towards a close in August 2017.

Dustin has won the Brownlow Medal as the AFL's best player and a premiership in his impressive career with Richmond.

Mr Balme wanted to secure Dustin for the next season despite North Melbourne throwing exorbitant amounts of cash in his direction, Fox Sports reported.

'I was on the pee,' Shane writes about Mr Balme's visit to New Zealand in book A Rebel In Exile.

'This is going to sound like I was choosing getting on the booze over this huge decision, but it wasn't like that at all.'

Shane explained he had settled in to watch Floyd Mayweather's fight against Conor McGregor and if he was given more notice he would have invited Mr Balme around in a 'heartbeat'.

'I wasn't going to a meeting like that half-cut. That would be crazy,' he wrote.

But Mr Balme returned to Melbourne without meeting Shane and Dustin was left to battle one of the biggest decisions of his career.   

Dustin then visited his father in Auckland and the pair, along with his manager Ralph Carr, weighed up the two contract offerings on a whiteboard.

Shane admitted his son (right in Bonds campaign) struggled to decide between Richmond and North Melbourne

Shane revealed that North Melbourne was offering Dustin $12million over seven years while Richmond were only able to offer just under $10million.

The decision-making went back and forth and the father and son understood that Richmond were desperately keen to keep the Brownlow medalist despite being unable to match North Melbourne. 

'People have asked me what side I was on and my answer is always the same: I was on Dusty's side … in the end, Dusty couldn't leave Richmond, and he turned his back on the richest contract offer in AFL history. I was proud of his decision,' Shane wrote.

Based on Shane's revelation, Dustin would have been earning just under $2million per year if he signed with North Melbourne.

Only six AFL players are understood to have made over a million in the 2018 season, including Sydney Swans star Buddy Franklin who signed a nine-year, $10million deal.

A Rebel In Exile details Shane's experiences in one of Australia's most notorious bikie gangs, his deportation from Australia and his family relationships - most notably with AFL superstar Dustin.

Shane also documented the time his 27-year-old son asked him for help with a mental health struggle

'Dad, I'm getting bad anxiety, I need to get help. Can you come with me to the doctor?' Dustin said, Shane wrote in an extract of his book published in The Herald Sun.

While Shane told Dustin 'of course' he'll come, Dustin responded by asking his father to keep his revelation private.

Dustin was prescribed medication to treat anxiety and depression, which did not alter his ability to play football but actually made his life much easier.

'Depression and anxiety are pretty common as I discovered. Dusty now knows it's nothing to be ashamed of,' Shane wrote.

Dustin has won the Brownlow Medal as the AFL's best player and a premiership in his impressive career with Richmond.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6874803/Bikie-father-AFL-star-Dusty-Martin-reveals-turned-biggest-contract-history.html

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4691 on: April 04, 2019, 01:04:31 PM »
Leppitsch defended gun midfielder Dustin Martin, who is yet to lay a tackle in two games.

"His ball-winning ability and what he does around the contest can't be underestimated - it's such a big thing for us," Leppitsch said.

"There's other guys in our team who are there to tackle that haven't been doing it so collectively as a group we need to lift, it's not just one person."

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/richmond-players-need-to-lift-leppitsch

Offline sdc01

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4692 on: April 04, 2019, 11:17:23 PM »
Dusty played RFC beautifully

just like a casual employ who works his/her ass off in order to get a full time position

and once they become full time they suddenly seem to lose their work ethic and care for the job!!

only now there's not much the employer can do

:cheers

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4693 on: April 04, 2019, 11:47:14 PM »
Yeah and pretty damn cunning of him to wait until the second year of his contract to start bludging in order to not make it look so obvious.... :shh

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4694 on: April 05, 2019, 12:13:13 AM »
Mate the way your banging on about dusty is embarrassing. Atleast get a bigger sample size than 2 games before you start writing off the remaining 6 years of his contract.

If your looking for a repeat of 2017, well no player in the games history has ever managed what he pulled off that year so to expect him to do it again is pretty unreasonable.