Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 904412 times)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #5730 on: July 04, 2022, 08:16:45 PM »
Yep fair. Bring him back for freo.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5731 on: July 04, 2022, 09:24:15 PM »
Such a shame about continuity. Looked like he was turning the corner and now another disruption.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
‘Very large chance he won’t be there next year’: Dustin Martin bombshell amid $2.6m issue

Fox Sports
July 5th, 2022

There is “a very large chance” Dustin Martin will leave Richmond at the end of the season, according to a leading AFL journalist.

The Tigers superstar suffered a rare soft tissue injury on the weekend, with a mild hamstring complaint to keep him out of Round 17’s clash with Gold Coast.

He took time away from Punt Road earlier in the year, “taking his time to figure out what he needs to move forward”, according to Richmond coach Damien Hardwick.

Martin is contracted until the end of 2024 but Nine’s Sam McClure suggested the Brownlow medallist’s 13th season at Richmond could be his last.

“As we sit here right now, there’s a very large chance that Dustin Martin won’t be playing at Richmond next year,” McClure said on 3AW’s Sportsday.

“I don’t know that part (which club he would go to). I’d be guessing.

“Sydney keep getting mentioned. He’s had a love of Sydney, Ralph Carr his manager has been on the record saying that. So if he wanted to go to Sydney, Sydney would move heaven and earth to make it happen.

“Damien Hardwick was on the record not long ago saying if he wanted to leave, he would leave with my blessing.”

Earlier in the year when Martin was considering his future, Tigers coach Hardwick said he wouldn’t stand in the triple Norm Smith medallist’s way if he wanted to continue his football career outside of Melbourne.

“What I will say is he’s a very important player to our footy club, both on the field and off the field, and what he gives us, he’s paid us in spades,” Hardwick said following Martin’s personal leave.

“Whatever Dustin’s decision is moving forward is up to Dustin and, to be honest, he has my blessing. What he’s given me, us, our fans has been incredible.

“Whatever we get from here on is a real bonus, from my point of view, so I just luckily, like the rest of us, get to see him on a weekly basis perform and train the way he does.”

Martin has long been linked with a move to New South Wales for family and lifestyle reasons. He spends much of his free time in Sydney and toured GWS’ facilities back in 2013, nearly joining the expansion club at the time.

He is owed a reported $2.6 million over the next two seasons which would make it difficult, but not impossible, for Sydney or GWS to fit him into their salary cap.

“You extend Dustin’s contract, that’s the easy way to do it,” McClure said.

“You pay him the $1.3 million for two years, you add two years out the back on not much money, and you get it done.

“A four year deal, give him the extra two. Say (to him) you’re probably gonna play at full forward. You conduct a situation where Dustin Martin and Lance Franklin are playing in the same forward line for a year - memberships sell themselves.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2022-dustin-martin-future-very-large-chance-he-wont-be-at-richmond-in-2023-contract-sydney-swans-gws-giants-trade/news-story/a27ae7fd22558d3e82837a0305bfffab

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5733 on: July 05, 2022, 12:17:28 AM »
Oh man if there’s one journo you can absolutely ignore it’s Sam MacClure.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5734 on: July 05, 2022, 08:38:25 AM »
This trash again smh

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5735 on: July 05, 2022, 06:55:25 PM »
Where will Dustin Martin be playing in 2023? Ranking the Brownlow Medallist's likely destinations

Aidan Cellini
Sporting News
5 July 2022

The Sporting News ranked the premiership-winning midfielder's most likely destination for 2023 and beyond.

#1 Sydney

Martin's link to Sydney has been circulating for a couple seasons, with the lure of returning back to his childhood area, Camden, a possibility.

The city of Melbourne has also fixated on the lives of AFL players, with any indiscretions heavily scrutinised and focused upon given the 'fishbowl' nature of the state.

New South Wales do take a more laid back approach on Aussie rule stars, given the highly supported NRL in the state, meaning the AFL tends to slip through the cracks.

Given his status, Martin would be recognised in almost every corner of the globe, but a move away from Victoria could be what he desires, with his hometown a likely suitor.

It has been suggested that the midfielder wants to live a more private life.

The Richmond champion also spent time in Sydney during his personal leave following the passing of his father earlier in the season.

Martin also looked at getting a trade from the Tigers back in 2013, when he toured the then expansion club GWS before remaining at Punt Road.

The Swans would struggle to get him across, but a player of Martin's calibre, a three-time Norm Smith Medallist, would almost force their hand if his desires are to move north.

#2 Richmond

Damien Hardwick offered his blessing earlier in the season to Martin if he chooses to leave Richmond.

During that time, the star on-baller was dealing with personal issues and speculation floated that he may struggle to play again.

“What he gives us, he’s paid us in spades," Hardwick said.

“Whatever Dustin’s decision is moving forward is up to Dustin and to be honest he has my blessing.

“What he’s given me, us, our fans, he has been incredible and whatever we get from here on in is a bonus."

Although it may seem unlikely that Martin stay at the Tigers, there's still strong hope that he remains put and sees out his contract to 2024.

Richmond have miraculously jumped back into top four contention in 2022 after a sluggish start and the potential to play in another flag may keep the Norm Smith Medallist in yellow and black.

With only four players older than Martin, it may give him belief that the Tigers can rise to the top again, with a new and improved crop on the rise.

#3 GWS

Seen as a courtesy option due to its location, GWS isn't officially a part of the conversation for Martin.

However, they attempted to lure the star back in 2013 but were unable to do so.

If the Swans can't barter a deal if Martin opts to leave Richmond, the Giants could swoop in with a godfather deal, trading out some of the younger stars to free up space for the champion.

#4 North Melbourne

Back in 2017, North Melbourne reportedly offered a massive seven-year, $10.5 million deal for Martin to pry him out of Richmond.

However, the Tigers went on to win the premiership that same year, as well as another two in the next three seasons.

Given the troubles facing the Kangaroos in 2022, they would have to offer something similar to what they did five years ago and hope it creates a ripple effect for other players to follow suit.

#5 Gold Coast
If Martin opens his services to the rest of the competition, Gold Coast should be a club to put their hat in the ring.

The Suns are on the brink of finals but need a few more pieces to the puzzle to elevate them into genuine contention.

A player like Martin would not only bring about on-field brilliance that we have seen over the past decade, but could attract other talent and assist in retaining key figures.

It should be noted that Gold Coast have not been officially listed as an option, but could be part of a conversation in the future if the 31-year-old chooses to leave.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl/news/where-will-dustin-martin-be-playing-2023-ranking-brownlow-medallists-likely-destinations/b8viplulbzlfzwcm6gxvyssp

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Slow news day Part II  :sleep

“IT’S PRETTY PETULANT”: DUSTY CALLED OUT FOR TREATING MEDIA WITH “GENUINE DISDAIN”

By Nic Negrepontis
SEN
6 July 2022

Kane Cornes is not a fan of Richmond star Dustin Martin’s treatment of the media, particularly after he refused to answer questions asked at a doorstop earlier this week.

Martin was heading for scans on his injured hamstring when he was met by 7AFL’s Mitch Cleary, who asked how he was going. The Tigers champion simply kept walking, ignoring the reporter.

“It’s pretty petulant, don’t you think? I thought it was petulant from Dustin Martin,” Cornes told SEN SA Breakfast.

“You’ve got the game’s biggest star refusing to talk to basically Channel 7’s number one footy reporter, the host broadcaster, and looking at him with genuine disdain and completely ignoring him.

“There is a level of respect on how to treat people. A lot of footy fans don’t rate the media and a lot of players don’t too, but I think it’s more about how you treat people and if you’re going to accept a $1.2 million cheque per year basically from media rights, I think there’s a real arrogance about that, and some people would say that’s overdoing it, but he refuses to do on-ground interviews after.

“You’re the game’s biggest star, I just reckon it’s not hard to just say, ‘Hey Mitch, I’m not sure mate, we’ll find out later in the week’. That’s all you’ve got to say.

“You’re speaking to the supporters as well. You may hate the media … but you’re speaking to the 100,000 Richmond members who never hear (from you).”

Fellow Channel 7 reporter and former SANFL star Andrew Hayes believes Martin should follow Robbie Gray’s example.

“Do you know what the best example is? Robbie Gray just doesn’t like doing media interviews. He didn’t want to do one for his 250th, and that’s fine, he doesn’t like that space and he doesn’t have to like it,” he said.

“But if he’s asked, or he’s in a situation where he needs to do it, he’ll do it, and does a really good job. He doesn’t want to get door-stopped, but a few times we have door-stopped and he’ll sit there and chat with you and give you a really good conversation.

“He’s not giving you information that’s going to criminalise anyone. He’s just giving information so people watching are getting something. That’s the perfect way to do it.”

Hayes added that most journalists are equally uncomfortable when asked to do doorstops.

“I’ve had to do it so many times now and firstly, journos don’t want to do it. It’s not a journo’s happy place,” he said.

“If people think that’s where journos really thrive and get excited, no, most of them don’t.

“And secondly, it’s always for trivial stuff like this. Doorstopping footballers to ask how their injury is going as they’re going into a scan. They don’t know and we know they’re going to say ‘I don’t know’, so just say ‘I’m not sure, we’ll see how it goes’.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/07/05/its-pretty-petulant-dusty-called-out-for-treating-media-with-genuine-disdain/

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5737 on: July 06, 2022, 04:19:01 PM »
I'd rather be petulant than a campaigner like Cornehole and an ambulance chaser like Cleary

Offline Buddysucks

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5738 on: July 06, 2022, 04:20:41 PM »
Petulant because he ignored reporters… get over yourselves. He doesn’t work for you and isn’t on call. When you stop writing rubbish about the guy and actually report on news / facts he might give you the time of day.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5739 on: July 06, 2022, 04:24:49 PM »
I don’t mind people in the media having a crack at him but pretend you speak on behalf of supporters….there would be practically noone interested in those doorstop interviews
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5740 on: July 06, 2022, 07:01:21 PM »
Tom Browne on 7news just now:

"Background discussion of Dusty potentially requesting a trade to Sydney just won't go away."

"Swans are puzzled by this. Sydney sources there today say they are absolutely and unequivocally not involved. Haven't spoken to Dustin Martin."

"So for now you can strike them off the potential list."

::)

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5741 on: July 06, 2022, 07:03:58 PM »

"Background discussion of Dusty potentially requesting a trade to Sydney just won't go away."

"Swans are puzzled by this. Sydney sources there today say they are absolutely and unequivocally not involved. Haven't spoken to Dustin Martin."

Must be GWS then.  Taranto and Tom Green come on down.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5742 on: July 06, 2022, 07:09:55 PM »
Kane Cornes calling someone else "petulant" is hilarious. He's one of the biggest attention seeking sooks out there.

As for crying about how Dusty ignores the media  :sleep :nopity

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5743 on: July 06, 2022, 07:28:53 PM »

Here's the report:

Go to 1:38 min mark

https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1544605149246943232

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5744 on: July 06, 2022, 07:57:56 PM »
A bloke trained by “i go through bins” Hutchison what do you expect. So consumed by their own importance they forget they have no entitlement to someone’s private information .