Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 902221 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #5820 on: July 26, 2022, 05:50:58 PM »
"We always seem to be talking about only one other club, and that is the Sydney Swans. And I don't know why we're not talking about this club." - Sam McClure.

The team that makes 'complete sense' to throw everything at recruiting Dustin Martin. #9FootyClassified

https://twitter.com/FootyonNine/status/1551550555805425664

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5821 on: July 26, 2022, 06:55:56 PM »
SM will do anything for a headline.  He admitted he was just making it up. 

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5822 on: July 26, 2022, 07:33:52 PM »
When Sydney bundles out of finals because they lack X factor they will give buddy another contract and go for dusty so they can win when it matters

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5823 on: July 27, 2022, 05:08:16 PM »
‘Risky investment’? What a deal for Dusty could look like

Jon Pierik
The Age
July 27, 2022

Former list manager Matt Rendell says Gold Coast would find it easier than Sydney to broker a trade with Richmond for Dustin Martin, but expects the Tigers champion to head to the Swans should he leave Punt Road.

Meanwhile, AFL Legend Leigh Matthews has declared Martin would be a “risky investment” for a new club given his recent form.

Martin’s future has increasingly become a point of debate, with industry sources claiming he is tired of the Melbourne fishbowl and keen for a change.

The three-time Norm Smith medallist, 31, enjoys spending time off in Sydney, and could seek a trade to the Swans or Greater Western Sydney. The Suns who have former Tigers lieutenants Wayne Campbell and Craig Cameron in key football-department roles, are another option.

Rendell, a former recruiter with Adelaide and Collingwood, said the AFL would love Martin to link up with the Suns, should he seek a trade, but Rendell believes Martin is a “Sydney man”.

He said the Suns would find it easier than the Swans to fit him in their cap, and also to trade, but the Swans “love a big drawcard – and he is that”. Rendell also laid out how Martin could renegotiate his contract, which has two years and more than $2 million remaining.

“He has given magnificent service to Richmond, but it doesn’t sound like his head is in the right place to stay in Melbourne. It’s a big wage bill, though. He would have to drop that down and sign a four-year deal if it comes to fruition,” Rendell said on Tuesday.

“[A deal with the Swans would] have to have three years back-ended until ‘Buddy’ [Franklin] retires. The trade is probably going to require the Swans’ first-round pick this year and next year’s first round, unless a player is involved.”

Superstar Franklin is negotiating a one-year contract extension with the Swans, who have denied having any contact with Martin. Giants captain Toby Greene said this week he would “love to play” with Martin and that his club would be “silly not to talk to him” should he seek a fresh start.

Martin was a rampaging, almost unstoppable machine between 2012 and 2020, missing only four matches – three of those through suspension.

But he has missed 10 games, six through personal leave and four through injury, over the past two seasons. That injury absence, which is likely to be linked at least in part to the personal leave, is growing, and may well now take in the final four rounds of the home-and-away season. It has added fuel to speculation that Martin’s time with the Tigers could be up.

Coach Damien Hardwick has said Martin has given the Tigers more than enough and has his “blessing” to leave, should that eventuate, while club chief Brendon Gale maintains Martin has, and will continue to, thrive in his current environment.

However, over the past two years, the Martin of old has been less prevalent, prompting Matthews’ comments on 3AW.

“I mean, he is still the best player in the game. He was the best player in the first half of last year,” Matthews said.

“In almost a season and a half, for one reason or another, he hasn’t been able to produce it, he just hasn’t been able to produce it.

“In terms of whether he is going to be able to produce it again is a question, not an answer. And if he is at Richmond, you just keep going and hope like hell we can get him going again.

“For another club to invest in Dusty, I think he is a risky investment from now on.”

In eight games this season Martin is averaging a career-low 18.8 disposals, less than three clearances per game for the first time since 2014, less than one score assist for the first time since ’15 and, for the first time, less than two tackles per game.

While Martin has been meticulous in his preparation through the second half of his career, next season will be year 14 and at 31, he has 268 games to his credit. However, a move up forward has eased the physical impact on his body and industry sources say he should have several years ahead.

But he has already won three flags, three Norm Smiths, a Brownlow, four All-Australian jackets, and two Jack Dyer Medals with the Tigers. Is there more for him to achieve at Punt Road?

Martin, who took personal leave earlier this year to grieve the death of his father, has two years remaining on his nine-year contract. But his manager Ralph Carr told The Age in May: “He has got this year and then another two [under contract]. He is kind of set there. But who knows? Football is a funny world.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/risky-investment-what-a-deal-for-dusty-could-look-like-20220726-p5b4jk.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5824 on: July 27, 2022, 07:02:57 PM »
Robbo: Hey Dusty, are you in or are you out?

Change is coming at Richmond, the only question is how much. As an era ends, the Tigers need an answer from Dustin Martin now, writes Mark Robinson.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mark-robinson-says-richmond-has-some-big-calls-to-make-ahead-of-2023/news-story/6f411ed7e7c7c701897ba08fe560a3e2

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5825 on: July 28, 2022, 04:33:39 AM »
Robbo on AFL360 last night talking about Dusty.

He thinks Dusty will stay at Richmond.

Watch: https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1552232162165813248

-------------------------------------------------

‘Nothing lasts forever’: Superstar Dustin Martin needs fast call on future, as Tigers face impending ‘list reset’

Catherine Healey
Fox Sports
July 27th, 2022 8:54 pm

Should Dustin Martin decide to pack his bags and depart Tigerland, Fox Footy’s Mark Robinson believes he needs to let the club know as early as this weekend – if they can’t get the win over Brisbane.

Martin has been a massive talking point in 2022, with his future in Victoria reportedly undecided.

The Tigers have publicly backed the three-time Norm Smith Medallist to make the call when he’s ready, stating they would not stand in his way – despite having two years to run on a big money deal.

Speaking on AFL360, Robinson said Richmond were still in the dark on where Martin wanted to play in 2023 and beyond after a “tumultuous” year that included the shock death of his father Shane in New Zealand.

“There’s been enough smoke around Dustin Martin this year,” he said.

“There’s just been this constant Dusty, Dusty, will he stay?

“There’s been a little bit of: ‘Hmmm even Richmond don’t know what’s going on’.”

If Martin was to depart, the club would then have an estimated $1.3 million in salary cap space it could access, and potentially pick up two first round draft picks in exchange.

AFL360 co-host Gerard Whateley said that scenario would require a lot of planning to get right.

“If I was Richmond, I would certainly want to be sure because there’s certainly a lot of planning around (the salary cap space and early draft picks),” he said.

“Nothing lasts forever in football,” Robinson added.

“The Tigers have to plan.

“If he goes and wants to go to Sydney for example, they get $1.3 (million) in the salary cap. They get two first round draft picks from Sydney, for example, and Richmond are going to reset their list.

“They need to know, in my opinion.

“People might say … why should he (tell the club as soon as possible)?

“We’ve got four weeks before finals, four weeks of finals and then trade period.

“And they are coming off an unbelievable period.

“They’ve just had the retirement of Kane Lambert. Who knows what Shane Edwards is going to do, Jack (Riewoldt), (Trent) Cotchin … there’s some big decisions to be made.

“I think they are going to be more well informed if they absolutely know if Dustin Martin is going to be with them.”

When asked if he thought Martin would be at Richmond in 2022, Robinson replied: “I think he will. I think he will be at Richmond.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/nothing-lasts-forever-superstar-dustin-martin-needs-fast-call-on-future-as-tigers-face-impending-list-reset/news-story/a8735ee9f5fdeb7501baccaa06232976

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5826 on: July 28, 2022, 09:04:29 AM »
The bit that's not part of the article which is just grabs from last night's AFL 360

Was Robbo saying "I don't know if Richmond knows" followed by but "I think they should know, they need to know"

He like most of the media haven't got a clue and are trying to get a new angle for a story that they created and continue to fuel
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 12:12:51 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5827 on: July 28, 2022, 09:27:08 AM »
The bit that's not part of the article which is just grabs from last night's AFL 360

Was Robbo saying "I don't know if Richmond knows" followed by but "I think they should know, they need to know"

He like most of the media haven't got a clue and are trying to get a hew angle for a story that they created and continue to fuel
Yes, it is rather amusing watching the journos chase their tails, then writing an article based on another journo chasing their tail ... and so on.  When one of them gets something right (inevitably one of them will) they can pop the cork on another bottle of bathwater!
Knowing what they think they know, I'm not sure if they know anything worth knowing ...     ::)

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #5828 on: July 28, 2022, 09:54:30 AM »
Dusty is a classic case of media failure.

The issue is that Dusty is that tight lipped. Not even those closest to him know the ins and outs. He is as private as they come. So the media don't have scoops and insider's with him. For anything ever. So they speculate and rumour mill and talk about what ifs. Usually there is a leak, usually there is a player or friend that gives enough info to properly predict or know.

So here lies the outcome of Dusty basically giving the media the middle finger and refusing to talk to them. And people wonder why he's like that.
Go Tigers!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5829 on: July 28, 2022, 12:14:53 PM »

He like most of the media haven't got a clue and are trying to get a hew angle for a story that they created and continue to fuel
Yes, it is rather amusing watching the journos chase their tails, then writing an article based on another journo chasing their tail ... and so on.  When one of them gets something right (inevitably one of them will) they can pop the cork on another bottle of bathwater!
Knowing what they think they know, I'm not sure if they know anything worth knowing ...     ::)

True

Robbo covered himself by saying at the end "I think he'll stay BTW"

Should be in politics; flip/flops with the best of them
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5830 on: July 28, 2022, 04:28:36 PM »
Hardwick confident on Martin's AFL future

By Shayne Hope
AAP
July 28 2022 at 12:03pm

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has "no doubt" Dustin Martin will honour his contract with the AFL club despite ongoing speculation about the superstar's playing future.

Martin is contracted for the next two seasons but continues to be linked to a move away from Punt Road, potentially to Sydney.

The 31-year-old is fighting to overcome a hamstring injury in time to resume his role in the Tigers' finals push.

If he doesn't get back on the field in the next four rounds there is some chance the 268-game champion will have played his last game for Richmond.

But not according to Hardwick.

"I've got no doubt he'll be there next year," Hardwick told reporters on Thursday.

"The fact of the matter is, and we've said this publicly, he's a Richmond man for the next two years.

"He's such an important piece of our puzzle and what he brings to the football club on and off the field can't be measured.

"What we love about him is when he's playing he's vibrant and active but also off the field he's got such an emotional connection to this place and our playing group and our staff that is missed when he's not here.

"So, as far as I'm concerned, he'll be here for the next two years."

In May, Hardwick gave Martin his blessing to leave Melbourne's AFL fishbowl if the three-time Norm Smith Medal winner decided that was best for him.

It came soon after Martin returned from a six-week break from the game due to personal reasons.

Hardwick laughed on Thursday when asked about that comment, saying one thing had changed since then: "Sanity."

He added his players feel loved at respected at Richmond and are confident in the support structures the club has put in place, noting in-demand utility Liam Baker's decision to sign a new two-year deal this week.

Martin has not played since suffering a hamstring injury in round 16 and suffered a setback last week, putting his return this season in doubt.

"Whether he gets back, we're hopeful he does," Hardwick said.

"He's a pretty important player to the way we play the game, so we'll give him every chance."

https://www.forbesadvocate.com.au/story/7837991/hardwick-confident-on-martins-afl-future/?cs=9465

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5831 on: July 28, 2022, 09:59:33 PM »
Be nice if Dusty would come out and say it or at least Ralph

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5832 on: July 28, 2022, 10:33:00 PM »
There’s nothing to say unless he’s leaving Andy
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #5833 on: July 28, 2022, 11:17:30 PM »

I disagree with this so much
Come out and say he’s a tiger and staying ..

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5834 on: July 29, 2022, 03:45:47 AM »

I disagree with this so much
Come out and say he’s a tiger and staying ..

When have you ever known dusty to come out and say anything? You might say that his manager could but why would he? It’s keeping his clients name on everyone’s lips while he’s having a injury riddled/down season.