Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 904417 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #6360 on: August 08, 2023, 02:11:27 PM »
From Robbo's "Likes and Dislikes" column:

5. Dimma’s a yes, Dusty’s a no

Neither a like or dislike, but the Gold Coast Suns will almost certainly announce Damien Hardwick as their new coach, but Tigers champ Dustin Martin almost certainly won’t be following him.

“I’d like to see Dusty play his 300th game at Richmond and I would’ve thought he would too,’’ his manager Ralph Carr said, noting Martin was 14 short of the 300 milestone. “He’s got such a history there.’’

In the off-season, the pair are headed to the MGM Grand in Las Vegas to see some boxing, leave there and spend time planning life in 2024.

Martin is contracted to be paid about $1.3 million next year, which is the final year of his contract. That the Suns would take Martin if he wanted to go there – we’re sure they’ve already inquired – tells us the Suns administration finally has a healthy salary cap.

Martin, meanwhile, is not heavily in All-Australian media discussions, which is baffling. He is a victim of the high standards he has set and if his numbers this year were put up by a third or fourth-year player, the footy world would be raving.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/the-tackle-mark-robinsons-likes-and-dislikes-from-round-21/news-story/d902dd3f8e9b08f1424eaf113617cdb0

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6361 on: August 10, 2023, 09:52:06 PM »
Champion Data’s Daniel Hoyne has revealed the best individual Grand Final performance since 2012.

The best player rating performances from each Grand Final since 2012:

2018 GF – Luke Shuey (WCE) – 35.7 points
2017 GF – Dustin Martin (RIC) – 30.9
2022 GF – Chad Warner (SYD) – 29.9
2021 GF – Christian Petracca (MEL) – 28.8
2016 GF – Marcus Bontempelli (WB) – 28.0
2020 GF – Dustin Martin (RIC) – 25.7
2019 GF – Dustin Martin (RIC) – 22.8

2013 GF – Michael Johnson (FRE) – 22.7
2014 GF – Will Langford (HAW) – 21.7
2012 GF – Jarrad McVeigh (SYD) & Lance Franklin (HAW) – 21.3
2015 GF – Isaac Smith (HAW) – 19.4

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/08/10/the-best-individual-grand-final-performance-since-2010-according-to-champion/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6362 on: August 14, 2023, 07:26:39 PM »
The Positive: Dusty is still a freak

Dustin Martin remains a ridiculously good player.

He might not quite be what he was, but at this best, he is still one of Richmond’s top few performers.

Most of Martin’s kicking on Sunday was a joy to behold. The way he finds targets inside 50 with pinpoint, laser passing is a joy to watch.

‘Dusty’ does have some blips due to the degree of difficulty of his kicks, but when it comes off it looks beautiful.

At the ripe old age of 32, Martin led all-comers on the ground with 13 contested possessions, had the most inside 50s with seven, the equal most score involvements with eight and had the equal most clearances with five. Plus 26 touches and two goal assists.

Let’s not take Martin for granted as his career enters its twilight. Take it all in and enjoy the show because we’re never going to see anyone else like Dusty.

Source: SEN.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #6363 on: August 14, 2023, 07:32:32 PM »
Not sure his kicking was to a "joy to behold" for most of the match. :shh

Champion Data’s Daniel Hoyne has revealed the best individual Grand Final performance since 2012.

The best player rating performances from each Grand Final since 2012:

2018 GF – Luke Shuey (WCE) – 35.7 points
2017 GF – Dustin Martin (RIC) – 30.9
2022 GF – Chad Warner (SYD) – 29.9
2021 GF – Christian Petracca (MEL) – 28.8
2016 GF – Marcus Bontempelli (WB) – 28.0
Not sure

2020 GF – Dustin Martin (RIC) – 25.7
2019 GF – Dustin Martin (RIC) – 22.8

2013 GF – Michael Johnson (FRE) – 22.7
2014 GF – Will Langford (HAW) – 21.7
2012 GF – Jarrad McVeigh (SYD) & Lance Franklin (HAW) – 21.3
2015 GF – Isaac Smith (HAW) – 19.4

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/08/10/the-best-individual-grand-final-performance-since-2010-according-to-champion/

But I was told he only deserved one of those Norms at the most.... :shh :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6364 on: August 14, 2023, 07:39:25 PM »
Dusty has looked the best he has since the 2020 season. Was worried last season but has shown this year he still has plenty left to give.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6365 on: August 14, 2023, 07:43:00 PM »
Tom Browne tonight on 7news copying Sam McClure with the Dusty to Gold Coast crap ::).

Go to 1:00 min mark: https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1691008868095270912

* Don't discount Dustin Martin "potentially" following Hardwick to the Gold Coast.

* "Sources familiar with Martin's situation" wouldn't completely rule it out today.

* Martin has a year left at Richmond on his contract. The Suns "could" offer a longer contract. Martin has up to $1.2m plus left on his contract. The Suns "could" smooth some of that money over two years.

* "Martin does like living on the Gold Coast or at least the idea of it".

::)

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6366 on: August 14, 2023, 08:02:21 PM »
I feel for dusty as he was born to play in big games and I feel like the coaching panel and team collectively let the legend down. It’s an indictment on the next tier of players with finals on the line that they couldn’t find an extra gear and play along dusty in finals mode

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond should consider trading Dustin Martin to Gold Coast: Robbo (HSun)
« Reply #6367 on: August 14, 2023, 08:09:17 PM »
Richmond should consider trading Dustin Martin to Gold Coast, writes Mark Robinson

Richmond’s golden era is over. It would cause fan uproar but the Tigers need draft picks – and there’s one way to get them, writes Mark Robinson.

Mark Robinson
Heraldsun
August 14, 2023 - 6:00PM

As unsettling as it would be for Tigers fans, Richmond has to consider a trade for Dustin Martin.

And Gold Coast is the logical destination.

The Damien Hardwick link can’t be ignored, nor the fact the Suns have a desire to recruit Martin and have the cap space to accommodate his estimated $1.3 million salary.

Martin’s camp has indicated, without confirming, that Martin will see out the final year of his contract at the Tigers.

“I’d like to see him play his 300th at Richmond,’’ his manager Ralph Carr told this masthead a week ago.

The pair have scheduled a holiday in America at the end of the season, starting first in Las Vegas to attend a boxing event.

The plans ahead for the triple Norm Smith medallist will be on their agenda.

Richmond, too, has to make plans.

The golden era is over. Trent Cotchin, who is Martin’s close friend, has retired. Jack Riewoldt might follow suit. And Dylan Grimes, the 32-year-old captain, must be weighing up whether to retire or not.

The Tigers are five or six years away from contending, according to Fox Footy’s Jordan Lewis, and need a drastic list overhaul.

The slash and burn list strategy which the AFL hates so much because it creates unwanted mediocrity may be back in vogue.

Carlton and North Melbourne stripped back savagely and couldn’t find momentum for many years, while Hawthorn did the same at the end of the 2022 season and now Hawks coach Sam Mitchell is the toast of the town for his foresight and ability to regenerate his team.

Richmond, it appeared, tried to follow the Geelong strategy: Trade in to try to contend.

It hasn’t worked. Tim Taranto will probably win the best-and-fairest – from Martin – and Jacob Hopper’s season hasn’t been what it was hoped to be.

The Tigers need draft picks.

Their first pick in this year’s national draft is pick 25. Their next is 44 and then 62.

What can they hope to pick with those selections? Maybe a gem at 25 and fingers crossed on the other two selections.

They need top-end talent.

The Suns have pick 4 – their current first-round draft selection – but need that selection and more for points to acquire their academy boys, key forward Jed Walter, ruckman Ethan Read and midfielder Jake Rogers.

One theory is the Suns could trade out pick 4 to secure enough later picks and draft points to land the trio.

But what if the Suns offered a future pick for Martin?

Say, a second-rounder next year?

The salary complicates the issue. The higher the pick, the higher the cost. If, for example, the Suns offered next year’s first-round selection, they would ask the Tigers to pay some of Martin’s salary. The same for a second-round selection, although the salary paid by the Tigers would slide down the scale.

That’s what played out with the Jack Bowes and pick 7 trade to Geelong.

A Martin trade would be purely a business decision.

Emotionally, fans would be in uproar.

Romantically, Martin playing 300-plus games for the yellow and black and retiring as possibly Richmond’s greatest ever player also can’t be ignored.

Martin’s done everything he can for the Tigers. He’s won flags, his won medals, he’s inspired old and young. But what’s left to achieve?

Trading out players at the end of their careers is not new – think Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis at the Hawks – but nor is it ideal for the champs and the fans. And Martin is a special player.

Of course, Martin would have to agree to the trade and Richmond would have to want to make the trade.

It all depends on whether Richmond are romantics or business-minded.

And whether Martin would like to join Hardwick at the Suns.

Make no mistake, the Suns would take Martin if they could make the deal work.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/trade-hq/afl-2023-richmond-should-consider-trading-dustin-martin-to-gold-coast-writes-mark-robinson/news-story/713e6ec096f7da505ba6a6296d307679

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6368 on: August 14, 2023, 09:17:13 PM »
I really hope it doesnt happen. I would love to see the champ play 300 games with us and if that means we dont see out a top 10 pick so be it.

The club has really stuffed up the last 2 years, so because of that we should send dusty on his way just to get back into the draft? No, stuff that.

They stuffed it up, so if they are good enough then find another way and be strategic like the cats were.

IMO some guys can never be seen in another jumper and i feel he is one.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6369 on: August 14, 2023, 09:56:49 PM »
Agreed. I think we have an handful of mistakes that need fixing in our list management which might only take this and next year to fix.

I remain optimistic that all 5 of the 2022 draft can have an impact.
Reckon MRJ has his best football ahead of him and like what I’m seeing from the other younger players in the seniors at the moment.

It’s the older players who I think aren’t pulling their weight enough. They look tired and seem to lack the hunger that comes with not playing in flags.

If they can regain that hunger, we might be able to start making inroads by 2025.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6370 on: August 14, 2023, 10:25:52 PM »
Agree. Call me sentimental but I’d rather see the champs and in this case one of the all time greats of the club reach 300 games and finish a one club player.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6371 on: August 14, 2023, 10:54:00 PM »
Far out, a future second rounder yet Esava at the cats is worth a first rounder apparently

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #6372 on: August 14, 2023, 11:12:52 PM »
Far out, a future second rounder yet Esava at the cats is worth a first rounder apparently

One bloke is rising 50yo
That hurts value

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6373 on: August 15, 2023, 07:35:05 AM »
Agree. Call me sentimental but I’d rather see the champs and in this case one of the all time greats of the club reach 300 games and finish a one club player.

Agree

And also well said Frankie

I understand it is a business now but sometimes loyalty still needs to play a part.

I know people will scoff at and more than likely give me a whack but truth is Dusty owes the RFC. I think what sometimes gets forgotten is how this club has looked after him not just over the last couple of years but his entire career.

Yes, he's a special talent, a champion but one of the reasons for that is because he's been at the RFC

Now his namager is smart man when it comes to Dusty as Dusty has made him millions and Raplh should know that it is in his client's best interest to remain a one club player and play 300+games for the RFC
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #6374 on: August 15, 2023, 08:20:53 AM »
Respectfully disagree with the above.

It will be somewhat embarrassing watching him play in a bottom four team that gets pumped most weeks, because that’s what’s coming I reckon. 

If it helps get us a 10 ten pick, let him go play his last years for a team on the rise.