Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 902238 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #6435 on: August 29, 2023, 02:03:42 AM »
Dusty’s last 9 games playing 86% of game time as a forward.

27 disp
35 disp
29 disp 1 goal
23 disp 2 goals
24 disp 2 goals
21 disp 3 goals
26 disp
31 disp 3 goals
33 disp 1 goal

https://twitter.com/_tigertime/status/1696090957471703134

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6436 on: August 29, 2023, 02:13:41 AM »
The nuclear option to fast-track a rise up the ladder next year for the 10 non-finalists

Jon Ralph
HeraldSun
29 August 2023

13TH: RICHMOND

Lance Franklin just retired at 36, and only because his body was failing him.

Scott Pendlebury, Todd Goldstein, Tom Hawkins, Shannon Hurn and Travis Boak have all had relatively strong seasons at age 35.

The message – sign up 32-year-old Dustin Martin now past 2024.

Gold Coast has gone cold on its interest and Martin won’t want to go into next year unsigned as an unrestricted free agent.

If Richmond wants to continue to contend next year it must be with a committed Martin who is not worrying about his future as a player able to walk to a new home at season’s end.

In the last 10 weeks of the season he was still Richmond’s best player as the All-Australian committee ponders his inclusion on Monday.

If the Tigers could lock him away until 2026 on a total deal of $2.8 million (including next year’s $1.3-$1.4 million) they would still be repaid in spades.

Just like they have every time with Martin.

The green shoots finally came through on Sunday with players like Thomson Dow, Sam Banks, Tom Brown and James Trezise, but it will be a long, dark 2024 if Martin departs for a rival club and Tom Lynch can’t get on the park.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/trade-hq/wreck-it-ralph-the-nuclear-option-to-fasttrack-a-rise-up-the-ladder-next-year-for-the-10-nonfinalists/news-story/913a82ce08ea30810465eb86bd29e1b2

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6437 on: August 30, 2023, 02:13:21 AM »
@hoyney35 names Champion Data's top 10 rated players based on expectation at the end of the H&A season:

1. Jack Sinclair
2. Zak Butters
3. Dan Houston
4. Marcus Bontempelli
5. Taylor Walker
6. Charlie Curnow
7. Nick Blakey
8. Nick Daicos
9. Dustin Martin
10. Tom Liberatore

https://twitter.com/SENSportsday/status/1696436305528602645

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6438 on: August 31, 2023, 06:41:19 PM »
From Tom Morris on SEN:

Dustin Martin (Richmond)

“I said to weeks ago to hold the Dusty chat and I still believe that… in fact, I’m probably even more resolute on that now. Damien Hardwick has not been pushing for him behind the scenes, even though he was coy in public he hasn’t been pushing for him.

“There is a private understanding with key decision makers at the Gold Coast Suns that the only way this is even remotely possible is if Dusty agrees to take a pay cut next year and even then, Richmond would have to say yes, which I don’t think they’re going to do.

“If Dusty ends up on the Gold Coast, I firmly believe it will be ahead of the 2025 season as a free agent, not ahead of the 2024 season.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/08/31/tom-morris-comprehensive-afl-trade-and-contract-update-on-silvagni-thomas/

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #6439 on: August 31, 2023, 08:38:03 PM »
I don't see a scenario where Dusty leaves but he is someone who would value getting out of the fish bowl.

It poses an interesting debate about contracts and trading players pre free agency, a bit like how EPL players are traded before their contract finishes so they don't lose them on a free. We have free agency compo but I don't think we would get much for Dusty yet pre free agency we may get a first rounder if we are lucky depending who it is. Someone like a Brisbane would throw away a first rounder for him where I'm unsure someone like a GC would.

Be interesting to see how FA evolves and whether compo remains long term and whether clubs begin trading players they'd prefer to keep but to avoid losing currency for nothing with FA go to the trade trable.
Go Tigers!

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6440 on: August 31, 2023, 09:22:01 PM »
If he wants to go to GCS then pick 7 can come our way tyvm

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6441 on: September 01, 2023, 12:58:10 AM »
It has been 6 years since Dusty chose to stay at Richmond and sign a 7-year deal before the 2017 finals.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-31/martin-commits-to-tigers,-signing-whopping-new-contract/8861250?section=sport

Since then:
1 Brownlow Medal 🏅
3 Norm Smith Medals 🏅🏅🏅
3 Premierships 🏆🏆🏆

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6442 on: September 01, 2023, 12:26:01 PM »
I can’t remember who it was maybe lambert or ellis on dyl and friends and they said something like the announcement of the re-signing in 2017 right before finals really super charged the team.

My heart tells me Dusty is Richmond through and through and while he might go window shopping he will finish as a tiger

FooffooValve

« Reply #6443 on: September 01, 2023, 05:54:43 PM »
I can’t remember who it was maybe lambert or ellis on dyl and friends and they said something like the announcement of the re-signing in 2017 right before finals really super charged the team.

My heart tells me Dusty is Richmond through and through and while he might go window shopping he will finish as a tiger

I hope you're right. I'd just about spew up to see him play his 300th in a Gold Coast jumper. What a disaster that would be for all Tigers, and his own 'brand'.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #6444 on: September 01, 2023, 06:05:59 PM »
Media was talking him up for AA when they thought he was leaving - then he didn't get it and none of them seem to be particularly outraged....indicates to me that he's probably staying now... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6445 on: September 01, 2023, 11:22:19 PM »
Media was talking him up for AA when they thought he was leaving - then he didn't get it and none of them seem to be particularly outraged....indicates to me that he's probably staying now... :shh

If he played for the Cats he’d be an 8 time AA by now. Highlights the absurdity of that entire award and the morons who are on the voting panel.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6446 on: September 02, 2023, 04:33:09 PM »
Tom Browne said Dusty's future is still "slighty up in the air" and there's "whispers" Dusty would be interested in playing up on the Gold Coast "for a break". Dusty owed up to $1.2-1.4 million in his last year of his contract. AFL will need to intervene with ambassador money.

Browne also said that because Dusty has won three premierships and three Norm-Smiths (Browne couldn't remember this btw :facepalm) then he wouldn't care about reaching 300 games with Richmond (Browne saying this if he was Dusty) :facepalm :huh3

Manager Ralph Carr to touch base with Richmond next week as Dusty has his exit meeting then. We'll hear more about this issue next week.

Go to 5:30 min mark: https://www.listnr.com/podcasts/triple-m-footy-afl/episodes/tom-brownes-news-trade-latest-on-ratugolea-grundy

Online Hart4Jack

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #6447 on: September 02, 2023, 04:59:29 PM »
Tom Browne said Dusty's future is still "slighty up in the air" and there's "whispers" Dusty would be interested in playing up on the Gold Coast "for a break". Dusty owed up to $1.2-1.4 million in his last year of his contract. AFL will need to intervene with ambassador money.

Browne also said that because Dusty has won three premierships and three Norm-Smiths (Browne couldn't remember this btw :facepalm) then he wouldn't care about reaching 300 games with Richmond (Browne saying this if he was Dusty) :facepalm :huh3

Manager Ralph Carr to touch base with Richmond next week as Dusty has his exit meeting then. We'll hear more about this issue next week.

Go to 5:30 min mark: https://www.listnr.com/podcasts/triple-m-footy-afl/episodes/tom-brownes-news-trade-latest-on-ratugolea-grundy

The only ones who are having "this issue " is Tom Browne & his hack media mates.   I seriously doubt that Dusty is even thinking about it.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6448 on: September 03, 2023, 08:01:37 PM »
Lost me at if Richmond want to contend next year.
Next year will be worse than this year, Plain old common sense says so. lets hope this off season they dont trade another future first away hoping to contend.
This off season they should be doing all they can to get back into the early part of the draft in recognition of where we are at and have been for three years now.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6449 on: September 04, 2023, 07:29:38 PM »
1. The uncertain futures

Jon Ralph
HeraldSun
4 September 2023

We made the journey to the MCG in round 23 so the kids could take in the Jack Riewoldt- Trent Cotchin farewell tour.

Really, I was there to say a pre-emptive goodbye to Dustin Martin.

At that stage, the jungle drums were deafening that Martin was open to a move to Gold Coast …. and the Suns were keen on him.

As it turns out, the Suns have gone a little cold.

But Martin is yet to meet with manager Ralph Carr for his post-season catch-up to sort out what his medium-term future looks like.

The rugrats took an incredible amount of wrangling – don’t they always – so it was a rare stat-free and radio commentary-free afternoon.

Martin was engaged and involved – and just bloody spectacular.

Three weeks on, as Richmond and North Melbourne plot their off-season strategies – one hanging onto past glories, another keen to throw off the mantle as footy’s worst team – the game remains stuck in my head.

Why?

Because in teams with few real match-winners, Richmond and North Melbourne need Martin and Thomas to stay around to fulfil contacts next year more than ever.

Imagine Richmond’s next coach going into the 2024 season without Martin, effectively coaching without his most dangerous forward-line weapon?

It’s impossible to contemplate, so Richmond needs to do what it needs to sign him up past 2024, keep him content, and let him play out his dotage at Punt Road.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/wreck-it-ralph-the-big-questions-and-looming-decisions-ahead-of-the-afl-trade-and-free-agency-period/news-story/12271fcc863717dfbb159c69c31d11a2