Author Topic: Brandon Ellis to Gold Coast / Richmond receive pick 39 as compo [merged]  (Read 300295 times)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Brandon Ellis [merged]
« Reply #765 on: June 09, 2014, 08:56:37 PM »

lol

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #766 on: June 09, 2014, 08:59:59 PM »
I wonder what the poster boy selection process was

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #767 on: June 09, 2014, 09:00:50 PM »
Contracted to when ?

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #768 on: June 10, 2014, 07:22:55 PM »

lol

Ages ago (I think 2006/2007) I remember seeing a billboard which had Andrew Raines and Brett Deledio ripping their shirts off superman style and underneath was the richmond guernsey. I remember thinking to myself this publicity is going to go to either/both of their heads and they're going to be end up being crap. And we all know what happened to Andrew Raines. I have the same emotions with that Ellis promotional material as I did the Raines/Deledio billboard.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #769 on: June 10, 2014, 07:28:37 PM »
Is he officially a potato now? I want claws opinion
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #770 on: June 10, 2014, 07:39:08 PM »
A think a few too many got a little over excited about this bloke. He has not lived up to the hype, could be another 8 year list clogger if he doesn't get it together next year.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #771 on: June 10, 2014, 07:42:11 PM »
Yet at the same time, he offers abundantly more than conca
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #772 on: June 10, 2014, 07:51:39 PM »
Latvian potatoe

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #773 on: June 10, 2014, 08:09:55 PM »

Sorry Ox, cannot agree

Granted his disposal at times is poor to say the least.... but and its a huge BUT

Conca has never pulled out of a contest, puts his head over the ball and attacks the footy. He tackles and isn't worried about getting hit

I'll take that any day over someone who gets 30 odd possessions which are predominantly made up of 20 metre chip kicks
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #774 on: June 10, 2014, 08:16:49 PM »

Spot on, Ellis has gone backwards this year.

this year?

He's playing the same way he always has

As I said in another thread; when you are winning things that are problems get ignored, when you lose there is no place to hide and the problems glow for everyone to see, that's what has happened here

Actually he has improved his statistics in nearly every single field this year including tackles, contested possessions, clearances and one percenters which most people would include in the "hard stuff". Although I've always said he shirks it a bit he is improving, but WP was on the right train of thought but in fact wrong regarding this example. Once we play bad people glance over the improvements and assume everyone is playing much worse.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #775 on: June 10, 2014, 08:24:08 PM »

w0t

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #776 on: June 10, 2014, 08:49:00 PM »
Actually he has improved his statistics in nearly every single field this year including tackles, contested possessions, clearances and one percenters which most people would include in the "hard stuff". Although I've always said he shirks it a bit he is improving, but WP was on the right train of thought but in fact wrong regarding this example. Once we play bad people glance over the improvements and assume everyone is playing much worse.

Understand your point, would be interested to know what sort of improvement statistical there's been. Eg tackling if he was averaging say 1 tackle a game in 2013 and now averages 2.5 then it isn't that great an improvement.

But having said that stats can be misleading, very misleading. Or as a wise man once told me "you make stats tell whatever story you want them too"  ;D

For example I think he is an excellent long kick but the majority of his kicks this season seem to be short "chippies". Going into the dreamtime game he had; had 29 long kicks as opposed to 51 short kicks. He may have improved his tackling stats but again going into Dreamtime he wasn't in the top 5 tacklers in the side (Conca was way out in front with 62, Jackson 5th with 32 in 7 games). Ditto with hard ball gets not in the top 5, so although his stats in certain areas may have improved they don't appear to have improved enough to get him into the top 5 in a lot of the categories.

The other thing I noticed is his numbers say that just on 73% of his possessions are uncontested, so again although the stats say his contested possession numbers have improved they don't even make up 30% of his total possession. So if it is sitting around 27% in 2014 what was it previously?   

But the glaring one for me is at "crunch times".

And with that in mind stats mean very little when a game is on the line and it's just you and your opponent and as the ball comes into the oppositions F50 you stand there like a stuffed donkey because you're not prepared to get hit and let said opponent gather ball and kick the winning goal (see round 3 -v- Footscray and Gia's goal). That's where stats lie because nothing would have registered on the stats sheet but in this case it certainly registered on the scoreboard and when you lose the scoreboard doesn't lie

But as I said would be very interested in the numbers regarding the improvement  :thumbsup

ED: just noticed that going into Dreamtime Ellis' was averaging 2.9 tackles a game, two best on the list were Thomas at 7.7 per game & Conca 6.9 per game

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #777 on: June 10, 2014, 08:56:02 PM »

Sorry Ox, cannot agree

Granted his disposal at times is poor to say the least.... but and its a huge BUT

Conca has never pulled out of a contest, puts his head over the ball and attacks the footy. He tackles and isn't worried about getting hit

I'll take that any day over someone who gets 30 odd possessions which are predominantly made up of 20 metre chip kicks

Some stats for you Ox re Conca leading into the Dreamtime game (rd 11)

Contested Possessions = 41.2%
Uncontested =   58.80%                                 

Tackles: Conca led the side in tackles with 62

Top 5 = Conca 62, Thomas 46, Cotchin 39, Griffiths 35 & Jacko 32

Hard ball gets top 5:
Martin 37
Cotchin 36
Conca 32
Edwards 29  :o
Thomas 28

Make of them what you like  ;D

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #778 on: June 10, 2014, 09:01:57 PM »

Wot

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #779 on: June 10, 2014, 09:03:25 PM »