Author Topic: Brandon Ellis to Gold Coast / Richmond receive pick 39 as compo [merged]  (Read 300752 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Brandon Ellis [merged]
« Reply #1305 on: March 20, 2016, 12:25:57 PM »
I already have, yet you have still not clarified whether you think players should be kicking in board to a contest when you talk about taking a risk.

You'd never kick inside to a contest. Those with balls and good foot skills will do it though when there's a slight opening. I've seen Menadue do it twice this pre season. I agree with BT this is a kick Ellis doesn't attempt.
How often does anyone in the team attempt such a risky kick?

I remember Houli doing and turning it over and was bagged for a stupid kick. (besides that kick out)

Turnovers in the corridor often result in an opposition shot on goal, and naturally the closer to their goals the more likely this is. Many teams will set up in such a way that it encourages this kick, but still have a good chance of creating a contest if it is used. (ie that houli kick out)

The receiver must have space between him and the goals and the kick placed so he runs into this space to receive the ball. This is rarely allowed by the better opposition teams. The other time is to a leading strong marking forward.

Ellis's major problem is he gets clear running full pelt and doesnt settle and use the ball correctly, just throws in on the boot and hopes for the best, much the same as Conners would.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1306 on: March 20, 2016, 12:52:14 PM »
fair enough but what does "he isn't brave when he has the footy." mean in english?

many times he would be knackered when he has it cause of running flat out

many times he simply isnt good enough to do a precise kick hitting someone on the run 55 away like martin or deledio
It means when he has the footy he would prefer to take the easy option and kick it backwards, sideways or at best long down the line to a contest. All 3 options are ok at times but he never gets the footy and takes the game on. He would never try a difficult kick inboard to put us at an advantage so we could move the footy on quickly putting us in a dangerous position going forward. He would never play on from a mark and take on an opposition. If there is a chance he can get tackled he will simply get rid of the footy. At AFL level if you can get around an opponent you create a lose man and the game opens up in front of you.
That's why I like players like Castagna, he opens up play in front of him with his attacking style.
Anyway can you tell I have a bit of "man love" for George!  :lol
I'd love to see him round 1 running off halfback.

they are being coached to kicked backwards, sideways, to pockets

griffiths can kick half the ground yet does dinky pinko kicks 10m sideways. why is this, he wants to?
So you think they are coach to kick it sideways and backwards on every occasion? Makes sense!! Not!! Every team does it when they want to control the tempo of the game. They are coached to do that. Ellis does it on most occasions when he has a stoppage. But when he is under any pressure he does what someone else has already mentioned and that's slam it onto his boot without knowing what's upfield. AKA pooing his pants.
Player like Griff when he actually gets a kick, is so low on confidence he takes the easy option and does what Ellis does and kicks it short.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1307 on: March 20, 2016, 01:02:38 PM »
I can concede Ellis is a very good endurance athlete. He uses his running ability to his advantage to be able to collect many possessions. And good on him. The only problem is he would rather take the easy option when he gets the footy than try and advantage our side by taking a rick with his kicking.
He IMO is the most selfish footballer on our list because of this. And I think he does it on purpose.

The upside with him is it's a thing I think he could change if he wasn't so poo scared of making mistakes and hence looking bad. He will never be anything until he changes his attitude in this area.
I for one hope he does for all our sakes but I'd still run the little prick over if he walked in front of my car.  :lol

I dislike the way he plays more than any other player I can remember wearing a Tigers jumper.

Just to play devils advocate Big Tone - you may not like the way he plays ( and that's fair enough) but is he just playing the role Hardwick has instructed.

Just to refresh everyone's memory, Brandon was BOG at dream time at the G last year.
Plus laid the most important tackle of the decade in round 24 2014.
Matt, there is no way anyone would coach anyone to play that way. No way! Not even Dimma.

So there is no way in the world a coach would instruct a player to play this way, yet is likely the coach allows a player to play this way against his instructions?
Yes
and that makes sense to you?
No it doesn't make sense that's why I think Dimma has a long way to go when it comes to teaching guys like Ellis that it's not acceptable to take the easy option ALL the time. He should have been sent back to the twos to work on doing things where the consequences are not as damaging.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1308 on: March 20, 2016, 01:10:20 PM »
I already have, yet you have still not clarified whether you think players should be kicking in board to a contest when you talk about taking a risk.

You'd never kick inside to a contest. Those with balls and good foot skills will do it though when there's a slight opening. I've seen Menadue do it twice this pre season. I agree with BT this is a kick Ellis doesn't attempt.
How often does anyone in the team attempt such a risky kick?

I remember Houli doing and turning it over and was bagged for a stupid kick. (besides that kick out)

Turnovers in the corridor often result in an opposition shot on goal, and naturally the closer to their goals the more likely this is. Many teams will set up in such a way that it encourages this kick, but still have a good chance of creating a contest if it is used. (ie that houli kick out)

The receiver must have space between him and the goals and the kick placed so he runs into this space to receive the ball. This is rarely allowed by the better opposition teams. The other time is to a leading strong marking forward.

Ellis's major problem is he gets clear running full pelt and doesnt settle and use the ball correctly, just throws in on the boot and hopes for the best, much the same as Conners would.
Hawthorn do it all the time. Probably why they have won 3 in a row.
Let's face it we play safe footy and hope our superstars can do the rest. That's why we struggle in finals and when teams keep our stars quiet. Players like Ellis and Griffiths will never be anything more than just average footballers if they don't learn to grow some balls.

Offline Heart of Darkness

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #1309 on: March 20, 2016, 02:40:15 PM »
Yep Sam Mitchell was the first guy who came to mind who doesn't hesitate to hit that kick. Of course there's danger attached to it. You need to have the right personnel who have the skills and brains to hit that kick. Personally I think our turnover adverse approach to ball movement has taken has as far as it can and we need more dare to move forward.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1310 on: March 20, 2016, 04:58:14 PM »
Hawthorn will chip the ball backwards,sideways, marginally forward until they can create the loose man. They don't kick inboard to a contest, they kick inboard when they are more likely to maintain possession than not. they maintain possession until the right moment appears. this is more to do with the workrate of players off the ball as being willing to take a risk with the ball in hand.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1311 on: March 20, 2016, 04:59:46 PM »
Hawthorn will chip the ball backwards,sideways, marginally forward until they can create the loose man. They don't kick inboard to a contest, they kick inboard when they are more likely to maintain possession than not. they maintain possession until the right moment appears. this is more to do with the workrate of players off the ball as being willing to take a risk with the ball in hand.
Spot on Al! :thumbsup
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1312 on: March 20, 2016, 06:54:31 PM »
Never did I say kick it in board to a contest.
And the difference with Hawthorn is when they do go backwards or sideways, they do it quickly with the intent of going forward quickly. Ellis does it so he doesn't have the responsibility. Fair bit of difference.
I do agree though the better sides work a lot harder to create a better option for the guy with ball in hand.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1313 on: March 20, 2016, 07:54:15 PM »

We beat the Hawks by equalling their work rate off the ball so it can be done.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1314 on: March 21, 2016, 10:03:52 PM »
Never did I say kick it in board to a contest.

so the inboard kick you talk about is to a bloke in the clear?

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1315 on: March 24, 2016, 11:39:14 PM »
OMG how putrid was this bloke again. chipy chippy sideways no guts soft as butter squib.

Online Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1316 on: March 24, 2016, 11:50:08 PM »
One spoil the highlight of his game, for some reason he reminds me of a bobblehead. Totally useless for any significant purpose other than his ability to jiggle his head around when he runs.

The coaches really needs to go back to the drawing board in relation to Ellis and revisit what his role really is in this side. At the moment he just seems to have no impact with any possesions. He simply is not a danger to opposition teams even when accumilating 30 + possesions. He is still only young so maybe he can still turn things around.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1317 on: March 25, 2016, 12:26:14 AM »
Absolute jib

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #1318 on: March 25, 2016, 12:36:53 AM »
Nothing between the ears. Same as conca.
Caracella and Balmey.

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1319 on: March 25, 2016, 12:56:06 AM »
Shorts shytter.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.