Author Topic: Toby Nankervis [merged]  (Read 180449 times)

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: Toby Nankervis [merged]
« Reply #540 on: August 18, 2019, 08:53:30 PM »
Barring the unlikely event we reinvent him as defender, he will not finish his career at Richmond... :shh

CCJ is coming  :shh
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #541 on: August 20, 2019, 06:02:45 PM »
Burge's update on big Nank:

Toby Nankervis, adductor

"At the Carlton game, Toby played his first game back in the AFL after three weeks in the VFL where we gradually progressed his game time carefully. In the Carlton game, there was a lot of stoppages and it was a little bit wet as well…he noticed late in the game he started to get a little bit sore in that adductor that he previously had injured…We got some scans and he has irritated the scar tissue of the original injury. We thought it would settle fairly quickly but it hasn't, it’s been a bit slower. He’s definitely improved but at this stage he’s unlikely for this week…He’s running at the moment, it’s really the specific ruck contest work that we’ve got to make sure we nail and that he’s strong enough to handle."

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-08-20/round-23-injury-update

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #542 on: August 23, 2019, 12:45:59 PM »
Ruckman Toby Nankervis is still battling groin/adductor soreness, stemming back to the injury that saw him miss 11 weeks earlier this year. He was a late withdrawal from the squad last week before the final team was named.

"We probably thought he was a little bit closer at the back-end of last week, but we're no closer to having a solution for it at this stage," Hardwick said.

"He's feeling better, but once again, he's a player who has missed a lot of footy. He's so important to how we want to structure up and how we want to play, so we need to get him back.

"We're fortunate next week the VFL has a game, with the first week of VFL finals, so hopefully he'll put his hand up to play that week.

"Toby's built for finals. He's physical, he's tough, he's hard. We're very fortunate this year that we are playing the two rucks, so we can do the ruck by committee and he can have lesser game time."

Source: AFL website

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #543 on: August 29, 2019, 03:27:50 PM »
Looking at the other finalists this year, Richmond have Toby Nankervis who returned from a groin injury in round 21 only to suffer more soreness. In the Tigers' premiership year, he was probably one of their most important players. With apologies to Shaun Grigg, their lack of a genuine back-up ruckman meant Nankervis would have been forced to play when he wasn't 100 per cent. But now, with Ivan Soldo and Mabior Chol playing really solid roles, it's a risk the Tigers don't need to take.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/playing-hurt-in-afl-finals-is-a-matter-of-trust-20190829-p52lzh.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #544 on: September 08, 2019, 02:28:32 PM »
Should it be West Coast that progresses through to meet the Tigers on Friday, September 20 at the ‘G, Richmond coach Damien Hardwick will need his ruck pairing humming against literal and figurative giant Nic Naitanui.

Toby Nankervis was recalled for Saturday night’s clash with the Lions and paired with Ivan Soldo.

It was only Nankervis’ second senior game since Round 8, and while Hardwick admitted he had taken a little while to warm into proceedings, he backed the two-pronged attack.

“I thought he got better as the game went on — once again, the difference in speed from AFL to VFL is quite significant and he just got better,” Hardwick said.

“He’s such a brute and I think our players play better having him in the side. I was really pleased with both Soldo and Nank.

“Probably could have gotten a couple of marks up inside 50 — we just couldn’t quite grab them. But I’m sure going forward he’ll be a lot better for the run. He’s important to us.”

Source: Herald-Sun

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #545 on: September 16, 2019, 07:39:14 PM »
Refreshed Nank primed for flag tilt

Glenn McFarlane
Herald Sun
16 September 2019

Richmond ruckman Toby Nankervis feared briefly he might not overcome a nagging adductor injury that wiped out much of the second half of the 2019 season.

But the combative big man says he couldn’t be more confident in his body headed into a third successive preliminary final — against Geelong at the MCG on Friday night.

Nankervis suffered a high-grade adductor injury in the Round 8 clash with Fremantle then had several frustrating setbacks in returning to the Tigers’ outfit.

He resumed in the AFL for the Round 21 game with Carlton, but his 2019 campaign was left in jeopardy when he pulled up sore after that game.

That saw the 25-year-old having to prove his fitness during the AFL bye week when he kicked the winning goal in a VFL qualifying final to win a recall for the Tigers’ first AFL final against Brisbane at the Gabba.

“It does creep into your mind when you have setbacks,” Nankervis said of his concerns at the time.

“But I’ve had great support around me and I wanted to give myself every possible chance.

“I just pulled up sore a couple of times. Obviously being in the ruck, and being in so many contests, you do use your groin a fair bit.

“It’s so good to be back playing with your teammates … I’m so rapt to be back playing finals footy.”

Nankervis’ confidence in his body soared after the Tigers’ win over the Lions — where he had only five disposals but also 25 hit-outs in sharing the load with Ivan Soldo — and he says he is as match-hardened as he needs to be to take on the Cats.

The 2017 premiership ruckman will also be happy to put the demons of last year’s preliminary final loss to Collingwood — and his match-up against a white-hot Brodie Grundy — behind him.

In that game, Grundy had 56 hit-outs in a superb performance as the Magpies upstaged the premiership favourites.

“(With) AFL footy, you have to move on (quickly),” Nankervis said. “The competition is so even that you can’t be dwelling on the past.”

“(Collingwood) were a better team that night. But for us it is a new year. We are really confident in what we have done. I think we have uncovered some players and other players have stepped up.”

He is content to play whatever role coach Damien Hardwick wants him to play, relishing the chance to play alongside Soldo, who has carried the role in recent months.

“He (Soldo) has come on so well,” he said.

“He has probably put together two or three years of good pre-seasons and good solid VFL form.”

“Internally, he is so highly-rated and I’m rapt with how he has come on this year.

“I just go out there and play my role, whether I am first ruck or second ruck. I don’t think it really matters, It is good to have him there and hopefully we can form a really strong combination.”

Nankervis knows Geelong has gone in a number of different ways in terms of their ruck structure this year, but he will be ready for whatever comes.

“Geelong has been the form team all year, so it is going to be a good contest,” he said.

“(Rhys) Stanley, (Esava) Ratugolea and (Mark) Blicavs have gone through there (in the ruck), so we can prepare for most things.

“We’ve seen a bit of them, so we will be prepared.”

Nankervis says he has grown this season due to the challenges he has faced and he hopes that will stand him in good stead ahead of Friday night’s game.

“I’ve had so much support from my teammates, coach and family,” he said. “I just wanted to do everything I could (to get back) and to see where that took me.”

“I am rapt to be back playing at this time of the year.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-ruckman-toby-nankervis-determined-to-play-key-role-in-premiership-tilt-after-injuries-threatened-season/news-story/e8eab933dd2b288ba810a8d759ef7f1a

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #546 on: September 16, 2019, 07:39:57 PM »
Nankervis overcomes injury doubts

Damien Ractliffe
The Age
16 September 2019

Richmond ruck Toby Nankervis says he's rapt to be back playing footy in September after overcoming a groin injury that threatened to derail his season.

The third-year Tiger has been instrumental in Richmond's success since the 2017 premiership season, but feared he wouldn't get back in time for finals after spending nine weeks on the sidelines between May and July.

Richmond ruckman Toby Nankervis.Credit:Chris Hopkins

After returning through the VFL, he again needed a week off, but Nankervis is confident the month of footy he's got behind him now has him ready for a big fortnight.

"It's obviously been a frustrating year so far," Nankervis said.

"We had such a great group there, which I suppose was a bit unique, having so many blokes in rehab.

"But I've had so much support from teammates, coaches, family and I think I just wanted to do everything I could and see where that took me, so I'm rapt to be back playing footy this time of year.

"It's the first time I've been injured so it is different and you're faced with a lot of challenges because you are by yourself a lot of the time. I think I've grown though and I'm confident about how I've gone about it, confident in the work I've done and I'm just so rapt to be playing footy this time of the year."

But Nankervis said he had doubts whether he could get his body right in time to return.

"I sort of thought as soon as I got through a VFL game I'd pull up fine, but I just pulled up sore a couple of times," he said.

"It was a little bit frustrating because obviously being in the ruck you're involved in so many contests and I suppose you do use your groin a fair bit, which I found it a little bit frustrating.

"It sort of does creep in your mind [that you might not get back], especially when you have little setbacks and that, but I had great support around me and I just wanted to do absolutely everything I could and I think I've done that. I'm feeling really strong now, I'm feeling confident."

The Tigers are every chance of retaining the tandem ruck partnership between Nankervis and Ivan Soldo after the pair shared the duties in Richmond's qualifying final win over Brisbane.

Nankervis said he enjoyed playing alongside his counterpart.

"I've played a little bit with Soldo, probably a couple of years ago I think it was," he said.

"He's come on so well and I suppose, maybe outside it's been surprising how he's gone, but internally, he's put two or three years together of really solid work in pre-seasons and strong VFL footy. Internally, he's so highly rated, and I'm rapt with how he's come on.

"Whether I'm first ruck or second ruck, I don't think it really matters. Hopefully we can form a really strong combination together."

Meanwhile, Nankervis said any demons from last year's shock preliminary final exit to Collingwood had been left behind, with the side focused on Friday night's task against Geelong.

"It's AFL footy, you've got to move on. I suppose you can't think about it too much," he said of the 2018 finals exit.

"I'm just so grateful, I think we are as a group, to be playing footy this time of the year. What an opportunity.

"It's a new year, we're really confident what we've done this year. I think we've uncovered some new players and other players have stepped up.

"Geelong have been the form team all year so it's going to be a really tough contest."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/nankervis-overcomes-injury-doubts-20190916-p52rnt.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #547 on: September 16, 2019, 07:40:47 PM »
Rehab buddies: How Rance helped a star Tiger get back

AFL.com.au
Sep 16, 2019 5:00PM

THERE were moments this season where Toby Nankervis felt like his body just wasn't going to let him be part of the Tigers' 2019 story.

But, with the support of his injured teammates – namely Alex Rance – in his non-familiar territory of the rehab group, the 25-year-old believes he's won both the mental and physical battle he's faced for much of the year.

He's now ready to team with Ivan Soldo for just the second time this year when the Tigers face Geelong on Friday night, in an attempt to bring down their unpredictable ruck structure.

And, even though he's penciled in as the No.2 big man behind Soldo, who has played 12 AFL games this season in his absence, Nankervis is just happy to be in the selection conversation after his adductor blew up again as recently as last month.

Ivan Soldo and Toby Nankervis will both play in Friday night's prelim.

"I'm really excited. Hopefully we can form a really good combination, I think we work really well together," Nankervis said.

"If I'm first or second ruck, my role doesn't really change too much. I'll just have to go in there and compete as best I can and if I have to go forward, I'll look forward to that challenge as well."

It was in round eight against Fremantle that Nankervis first tore his adductor tendon when he slipped in the middle of Optus Stadium.

He could still run, laconically, but was in pain whenever he moved sharply.

It was this pattern that followed him for weeks to come; running was fine but anything physical put the injury under strain.

So, he checked in to the Tigers' populous rehab group and set about restoring himself to fitness, with Rance providing the spiritual support he needed most.

It was the five-time Virgin Australia AFL All Australian who helped Nankervis get used to having limitations placed on his body for the first time in his career.

Alex Rance has attacked his rehab with a smile on his face.

"It is challenging at times, you have to train away from the main group and I've never had to do it before. You are by yourself a lot of the time," Nankervis said.

"Alex Rance as well has been an absolute monster in rehab, he's trained harder than probably anyone I've seen and the way he's attacked it gives me such strength as well.

"He's been there the whole time, throughout everything, he's been in there … you just look at the way he goes about it and it just gives everyone a boost."

In his comeback journey, Nankervis played three VFL games before his AFL return in round 18 against Carlton.

He entered clash with the Blues confident and wasn't prepared when he pulled up sore from the wet game a few days later.

But, with more rest and strengthening work, he made a successful return in the VFL two weeks ago in the Tigers' winning qualifying final against Essendon where he starred with the winning goal.

Once the elation from his final-quarter heroics wore off, he waited patiently to see how his body responded – and this time, things were different.

"I was confident going in the VFL game that I'd turned a corner," Nankervis said.

"It does creep into you mind [that you won't come back], especially when you have little setbacks, but to get through the AFL game last week [against Brisbane] was massive.

"With great support around me, I just wanted to absolutely do everything I could and I'm confident I've done that."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-16/rehab-buddies-how-rance-helped-a-star-tiger-get-back

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #548 on: September 18, 2019, 06:21:22 PM »
Nankervis back from brink

Sarah-Jane Tasker
The Australian
18 September 2019

Richmond’s premiership ruckman Toby Nankervis has never experienced a year like this.

The versatile Tiger had proven remarkably durable since arriving at Punt Rd from Sydney at the end of 2016 until, suddenly, he was not.

Nankervis, 25, who excelled in the 2017 season with his ability to drop behind play to serve as an intercepting mark, suffered the first serious injury of his career in Round 8 against Fremantle.

An adductor strain may not necessarily sound career-threatening, but each time he readied himself for a return with a hitout at VFL level, the soreness returned.

“It was an interesting one,” he said. “As soon as I got through a VFL game, I thought I would pull up fine, but I pulled up sore a couple of times, which was a little bit frustrating because, obviously being in the ruck, you are involved in so many contests where I suppose you use your body a fair bit.”

The Tasmanian, who is likely to share rucking duties with Ivan Soldo in Friday’s preliminary final against Geelong at the MCG, loves nothing more than competing.

It is evident in his style, with the Tiger conceding height and weight to most rivals yet lacking nothing in terms of his competitiveness.

Finding himself among a rehabilitation group that incorporated several star Tigers including Alex Rance and skipper Trent Cotchin ultimately proved an educational experience.

“It has obviously been a frustrating year so far and we had such a good group there, which was a bit unique having so many guys in rehab,” he said.

“It is the first time I have been injured and it is different. We are faced with a lot of challenges and you are by yourself a lot of the time, but I think I have grown.

“I am confident with how I have gone about it, I am confident in the work that I have done and as I said before, I am so rapt to be playing footy at this time of the year.”

Having missed more than half of this season, Nankervis found the pecking order of ruckmen at Richmond was not as certain when he returned. Soldo and to a lesser extent, Noah Bolta and Mabior Chol showed promise when carrying the ruck and he has returned as no longer the sole option.

Through the previous two years, mid-season retiree Shaun Grigg would pinch-hit in support of Nankervis in what proved a unique rucking combination.

Paired with Soldo, which occurred when they combined well against Brisbane star Stefan Martin in a qualifying final a fortnight ago, is a more traditional look.

But Nankervis feels it will stand the Tigers in good stead against Geelong and, should they succeed, the grand final on Saturday week.

“I have played a little bit with Soldo a couple of years ago and he has come along so well and maybe outside, it might be surprising how he has gone but internally he … is highly rated and I am rapt with how he has gone on,” he said.

“I go out and try to play my role … it is good to have him there and hopefully we can form a really strong combination together.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/richmonds-toby-nankervis-back-from-brink-for-finals-tilt/news-story/0f51e0e638dadcede2c736c6aad7cfb5

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #549 on: September 21, 2019, 05:39:34 AM »
Toby Nankervis – 4

It was a quiet night for the ruckman, who finished with just five disposals and 11 hitouts. Was clearly out-pointed by Rhys Stanley and couldn't go with his Geelong counterpart's athleticism around the ground.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-20/every-tiger-rated-from-the-preliminary-final

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #550 on: September 21, 2019, 08:01:28 AM »
Chol and Nank combo may be the one we need to look at.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #551 on: September 21, 2019, 11:09:52 AM »
He’s not taking those great defensive marks he was taking prior to his injury.....
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #552 on: September 21, 2019, 12:00:55 PM »
Average at best, no aggression, was second to the contest, lacked any speed
I hope he  lifts if he gets picked for the GF

Offline Thrasher97

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #553 on: September 21, 2019, 12:02:14 PM »
Chol and Nank combo may be the one we need to look at.

Can't be serious? If and that's a big if a ruck gets dropped for Balta or Chol it will be Nank, Soldo was Immense 

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #554 on: September 21, 2019, 01:03:45 PM »
He’s not taking those great defensive marks he was taking prior to his injury.....

Agreed. His biggest weapon and he's pretty much useless without it. Chol or Balta  next week, especially if it's wet. :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.