Author Topic: Toby Nankervis [merged]  (Read 177799 times)

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Toby Nankervis [merged]
« Reply #570 on: September 12, 2020, 11:02:54 AM »
Thought he was brilliant last night

I posted this last night in the match day thread but he seemed to thrive when he was the sole ruckman

Agree- he will love this opportunity to be the main man. Chol to provide support.

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #571 on: September 12, 2020, 12:05:45 PM »
He needs to be the main ruckman with back up from someone taller. Against a Grundy or Natanui he just needs someone to take a few tap outs. But typically he is phenomenal around the ground. Also one of the better straight kicking ruckman going around

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #572 on: September 12, 2020, 01:14:42 PM »
His intercept marking is as good as anyone's.... if he slipped to third in ruck pecking order you could almost still play him purely as a defender... :shh

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #573 on: September 21, 2020, 04:58:08 AM »
The AFL advises the Match Review of the Saturday matches of Round 18 has been completed. One charge was laid.

Charge Laid:

Toby Nankervis, Richmond
, has been charged with Engaging in Rough Conduct against Rory Laird, Adelaide Crows, during the fourth quarter of the Round 18 match between Richmond and the Adelaide Crows, played at Adelaide Oval on Saturday September 19.

In summary he can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct, Low Impact and High Contact. The incident was classified as a $1500 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/509397/match-review-big-tiger-cops-fine-for-rough-conduct

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #574 on: September 21, 2020, 10:31:22 PM »
What the hell was that for?

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #575 on: September 21, 2020, 10:35:09 PM »
What the hell was that for?

Bump in the last quarter on laird. You may have seen him getting up gingerly in the arms of trainers.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #576 on: September 25, 2020, 10:23:39 PM »
Dual premiership Tigers ruckman Toby Nankervis won’t be going anywhere.

“He’s a priority re-signing now at the Tigers,” Callum Twomey said.

“That has changed, earlier this year I wouldn’t have said that, I think he was probably out the door with a chance he was going to get his payday elsewhere.

“Now they need him because Ivan Soldo has gone down with that knee injury. A three or four-year deal I think likely in the works for Nankervis.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-trades-2020-trade-whispers-news-rumours-jack-graham-richmond-carlton-jake-carlisle-st-kilda-ruckmen/news-story/2eecd76b5031816a0e8dc2136337f10d

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #577 on: September 25, 2020, 11:57:18 PM »
Deserves it. Will absolutely thrive as our line ruckman like he did in 2017. Almost our most important player now with the lack of any backup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #578 on: September 27, 2020, 05:35:31 PM »
'I want to be at the club': Out-of-contract Tiger pledges future

Toby Nankervis is one of Richmond's re-signing priorities ahead of the off-season

By Callum Twomey
afl.com.au
27 September 2020

OUT-OF-CONTRACT Richmond ruckman Toby Nankervis says his future is with the Tigers as he prepares to shoulder the big man duties in the Toyota AFL Finals Series.

Nankervis, who was omitted earlier this season and then suffered a serious syndesmosis ankle injury, is among the Tigers without a deal for next year.

But with discussions understood to be taking place over a longer-term deal, the two-time premiership ruckman says he wants to remain at the club.

"I absolutely want to be at the club. [Contract talks are] on-going but for me I've got bigger and better things to worry about at the moment and all my focus is on this first final coming up and I can't wait for that opportunity. The other stuff takes care itself I think," Nankervis told AFL.com.au ahead of the Tigers' qualifying final clash with Brisbane on Friday night.

"To be honest I've just put my focus on getting back from injury and then getting a part of a pretty good outfit. Then I can hopefully put my case forward like that. The other stuff for me is secondary."

Nankervis will lead the Tigers' midfield almost single-handedly in its bid for its third flag in four seasons after they lost Ivan Soldo to a season-ending knee injury two weeks ago and young back-up Callum Coleman-Jones is serving his 10-game suspension for his COVID-19 breach.

It comes alongside a return to form for Nankervis, who played in the season-opening clash with Carlton but was then left out when games resumed in June. He then suffered the ankle injury in round five – in the same game as premiership teammate Dion Prestia had the same setback – which kept Nankervis out until round 14.

Since then, though, the former Swan has steadily picked up his form and is a crucial cog to the Tigers' plans this finals.

"I had a really interrupted pre-season and I just wanted to get back to playing footy every week. It was disappointing not to play [when the season resumed] but I knew I had to play well at the lower level and I'd get my chance if I played well enough and I just wanted to get some continuity back again," he said.

"I've really enjoyed the last month or so and just being able to get back out with the boys and play regular footy again. It's been so good. I feel like I'm starting to really find some confidence back in my body which is good."

Throughout the injury rehabilitation Nankervis, Prestia and a group of Tigers teammates stayed in Victoria when Richmond was first sent up to Queensland for what was originally viewed as a five-week stint.

But as Victoria's COVID-19 situation worsened, and the AFL's set-up in Queensland became more fixed, they joined their teammates up north.

"It was weird. We thought they were going to come back but everything changed so quick. It was difficult watching on but it's all a part of it and I'm grateful to be up here now and amongst the boys in this hot weather," he said.

Nankervis, who played in the club's 2017 and 2019 triumphs, hadn't yet considered what it would mean to add a third medal to his collection.

"It's definitely a nice thought but there's so much to do until then. I think each game is a massive challenge and the competition is as even and as tough as it's ever been so I don't think I'll be looking too far ahead," he said.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/511307/-i-want-to-be-at-the-club-out-of-contract-tiger-pledges-future

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #579 on: September 27, 2020, 09:49:04 PM »
Don't you love it when they put speculation to bed and say they wanna stay?

I heard he's about to sign for 3-4 years.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #580 on: October 01, 2020, 04:11:40 PM »
PLAYERS WHO NEED TO LIFT THIS FINALS SERIES

Toby Nankervis (Richmond)

Finals since 2015: 8

Last final: 22 hit-outs (five to advantage), 17 disposals, 3 clearances (2019 Grand Final vs GWS)

Whenever he finishes up, Nankervis’ time at Richmond will be considered a roaring success given his integral on-field role in their premiership success. With Ivan Soldo out for the long-term, standing up on the big stage has never been more important for him and his team. Yes, Soldo wasn’t part of the 2017 premiership side, but he did do more than his fair share of tap work in the 2019 final, so his importance to the side in recent times has clearly increased. Nankervis’ averages in score involvements, disposals and clearances have all dropped in finals. His hitouts-to-advantage also suffer a marginal drop, but not big enough to be overly concerned about. Should Stefan Martin get the call up for the Lions, Nankervis won’t have to wait long to put his stake in the ground this October.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-players-who-need-to-lift-this-finals-series-finals-averages-player-stats-collingwood-geelong-richmond-champion-data/news-story/3c67deb1ce46a51077ddcd94255c030c

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #581 on: October 03, 2020, 03:41:14 AM »
Toby Nankervis

The most prolific of the ruckmen on the ground from a disposal point of view, but was well beaten in the ruck.

Rating: 6

Source: Foxsports

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #582 on: October 03, 2020, 07:07:48 AM »
Needs to lift big-time beaten against crows and lions can he tho the centre bounce tap work real weak spot.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #583 on: October 03, 2020, 10:07:07 AM »
I don't expect him to win the centre taps, never have

But at stoppages I felt for him constantly getting grabbed, having his arms locked and no frees.

Sorry, 1 free for that all night

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #584 on: October 03, 2020, 11:16:28 AM »
Toby Nankervis

The most prolific of the ruckmen on the ground from a disposal point of view, but was well beaten in the ruck.

Rating: 6

Source: Foxsports

I reckon he battled hard as always but he did butcher the ball many times causing crucial turnovers.
I also agree also he wasn’t helped by the umps at all.
His bullocking work in tight is always great but not so much in this game.
The club that keeps giving.