Author Topic: Nathan Drummond [merged]  (Read 28761 times)

Offline Stylo

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Pick 52. Nathan Drummond
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2015, 01:45:35 PM »
Won't make it....

What do you base this on?

Apparently kicking is iffy

Disposal efficiency is certainly not a strength of his. IIRC he played a TAC game last year where he posted 20ish kicks, only 2 of which were effective.

Seems odd to me that we'd play him at that end. I'd want him forward of centre as an attacking mid.
we need bloody quick hard running tackling  defensive fwds especially if we structure up with the  three talls  vickery,riewoldt, and griffiths. play him on a fwd  flank.
the other one id like to see get a game fwd is butler who is a similar type super quick runs hard tackles and has a defensive set to his game with an added bonus he can kick goals, one of his coaches described him as having a canny knack for goals when fwd. both have good tanks and could rotate thru the midfield.

atm we have vlastuin, houli, morris, newman, dea, batchelor, ellis,castagna,  possibly menadue, mcintosh, deledio, conca, petterd, hunt who could and have played h/b  plus we are trying lennon mcdonough  and now drummond across h/b. thats all up 16 players for back flanks. granted 5 or 6 are no good that still leaves 9 players for 6  positions if we include the back flankers we need in the twos.. i dont get it we have severe needs elswhere and those needs are being ignored.
if i had to pidgeon hole players this is how i think we should break down our list regarding the roles they play and how we should develop them atm.

tall defenders - astbury, rance, grimes, chaplin, elton,
sml/med defenders - batchelor, castagna, dea, houli, morris, mcintosh, newman.
def/mid - menadue, vlastuin.

mids/onballers -  arnot, conca, cotchin, ellis, foley, grigg, hunt, lambert, miles, short, c ellis, thomas.
fwd/mids  -  butler, deledio, drummond, edwards, knights, martin.

tall/fwds - riewoldt, mckenzie.
sml/med fwds - mcdonough, lloyd, lennon, petterd gordon.

ruck/fwds - vickery,griffiths, mcbean.
rucks  - hampson, maric, soldo.

Agree with most of this  :thumbsup

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2015, 03:17:36 PM »
Won't make it....
thats a big and ballsy  call on a player who only just got drafted.
seems he has all the physical attributes needed to play afl.  so i take it your talking about smarts and skill set.would be interesting to hear why you think this way.

i have already voiced concerns about foot skills even though he tested well at the draft camp with them. just doesnt seem to consistently hit a target.
in fact  im not too sure how much we should read into his camp results with him being older. but he did test well probably as he should have so wont hold that against him.

the other concern is it seems against the better players he has struggled to get his hands on the ball. how they perform against their peers is a box that should be ticked.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2015, 07:26:24 PM »
Won't make it....
seems he has all the physical attributes needed to play afl.  so i take it your talking about smarts and skill set.would be interesting to hear why you think this way.

i have already voiced concerns about foot skills even though he tested well at the draft camp with them. just doesnt seem to consistently hit a target.
in fact  im not too sure how much we should read into his camp results with him being older. but he did test well probably as he should have so wont hold that against him.

the other concern is it seems against the better players he has struggled to get his hands on the ball. how they perform against their peers is a box that should be ticked.

Has the physical attributes but no real stand out footballing attributes IMO. Apart from footage, saw him live last year when he played for the reserves and didn't really impress me all that much.

Put it this way - as a general rule the likelihood of all 5 of our national draft picks from across 5 rounds of the national draft making it is slim  - and to me he is by far the least likely at this stage - even put him behind Butler who probably has worse skills but real pace, is a ferocious tackler and can kick goals.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Stylo

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2015, 11:09:56 AM »
Won't make it....

Has the physical attributes but no real stand out footballing attributes IMO. Apart from footage, saw him live last year when he played for the reserves and didn't really impress me all that much.

Put it this way - as a general rule the likelihood of all 5 of our national draft picks from across 5 rounds of the national draft making it is slim  - and to me he is by far the least likely at this stage - even put him behind Butler who probably has worse skills but real pace, is a ferocious tackler and can kick goals.

Drummond is faster than Butler and just as manic defensively. Also has better skills, but that doesn't make them great - Butler's are pretty poor at this stage. Drummond has also shown more ability through the midfield and around stoppages.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2015, 01:44:24 PM »
Won't make it....

Drummond is faster than Butler and just as manic defensively. Also has better skills, but that doesn't make them great - Butler's are pretty poor at this stage. Drummond has also shown more ability through the midfield and around stoppages.

ive only seen footage of butler. footskills aside and i have to admit i havent seen anything to really concern me with them how does he rate against blokes like lloyd macdonough as far as playing a sml fwd role goes.
the thing i like is the pace and the defensive attributes he can bring to that role and has shown he can kick a goal.  with 200cm fwds and jack who is not quick theres a big need for genuine pace in the fwd half. i dont think either macdonough or lloyd suit the structure with their attributes. drummond would also suit the structure because of his attributes.
gordon is another good size good pace but at 25yrs im not so sure about his ceiling he doesnt find much balland seems to go missing for large chunks of games like many of our players do.

look at the hawks they play roughead, hale, gunston and rotate ceglar thru there. shoenmakers also played thru there with sphanger. what they always have is puopolo, bruest, and rioli they are all quick, they all can kick a goal and they all chase tackle and defend well. with the tall fwd set up the hawks need these types.

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2015, 10:07:42 AM »
Agree that pace and defensive pressure was lacking up forward for us last year. Opposition defenders were allowed to rebound too easily.

Offline Stylo

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2015, 11:09:23 AM »
Won't make it....

ive only seen footage of butler. footskills aside and i have to admit i havent seen anything to really concern me with them how does he rate against blokes like lloyd macdonough as far as playing a sml fwd role goes.
the thing i like is the pace and the defensive attributes he can bring to that role and has shown he can kick a goal.  with 200cm fwds and jack who is not quick theres a big need for genuine pace in the fwd half. i dont think either macdonough or lloyd suit the structure with their attributes. drummond would also suit the structure because of his attributes.
gordon is another good size good pace but at 25yrs im not so sure about his ceiling he doesnt find much balland seems to go missing for large chunks of games like many of our players do.

look at the hawks they play roughead, hale, gunston and rotate ceglar thru there. shoenmakers also played thru there with sphanger. what they always have is puopolo, bruest, and rioli they are all quick, they all can kick a goal and they all chase tackle and defend well. with the tall fwd set up the hawks need these types.

I think Butler could be a great defensive forward in the King mould. He laid something like 20 tackles in a match last year, he's crazy good in that sense. His foot skills can let him down though from what I've seen, he's pretty good around goal but prone to the odd floater. I'd liken his kicking to someone like Robbie Nahas. He's certainly got attributes that neither Lloyd or McDonough have, in that he's a speedy little terrier. Ultimately I'd like to see him in a forward pocket with McDonough further up the ground. If the latter builds his tank some more I can definitely see him being a bonafide mid, he's great around stoppages and can set up play with that laser boot of his. Butler I'd prefer to keep in the forward line due to his average skills. Lloyd I'm not sure on yet. Not a defensive bone in his body and if we're playing three talls we'll need to squeeze as much defence out of our small/meds as possible.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2015, 06:27:40 PM »
Agree that pace and defensive pressure was lacking up forward for us last year. Opposition defenders were allowed to rebound too easily.
not so much the pace part, but lack of defensive pressure is probably why morris has been training as a forward
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2015, 10:25:00 PM »
not so much the pace part, but lack of defensive pressure is probably why morris has been training as a forward

In my eyes, defensive pressure comes from a combination of pace and mindset. Morris is both quick and manic, so i think he will be good in this regard. I'm not sure how much he will offer offensively, though did kick a ripping running goal v. Hawthorn a couple of years back.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2015, 06:11:26 PM »
sheesh very disappointed in the game from drummond, looked totally out of his depth.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2015, 09:37:26 PM »
Dud delist

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2015, 10:32:26 PM »
Dud delist

Wait until he gets to his hundred games - I hear his adopted son Arnold is a nuggety in and under Afro American who maybe on the short side but can play
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2015, 10:47:54 PM »
Dud delist

Wait until he gets to his hundred games - I hear his adopted son Arnold is a nuggety in and under Afro American who maybe on the short side but can play

What you talking about HRT?
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2015, 12:03:34 PM »
Dud delist

What you talking about HRT?
;D
That should be "wotjewtalkinbout"
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

dwaino

« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2015, 12:39:45 PM »
 :lol :rollin