Author Topic: Can Richmond challenge again in 2022? [merged]  (Read 45715 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Can Richmond challenge again in 2022? [merged]
« Reply #135 on: May 08, 2022, 12:38:21 AM »
“We’re starting to gel, we’re starting to connect,” Hardwick said.

The Tigers have not had more than five wins on the board after eight rounds in each of their past three flag-winning years and their injury list is short.

Source: The Age

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #136 on: May 08, 2022, 04:24:56 PM »
We're still not yet at the standard to be a top 4 genuine contender but the results this weekend have opened up a spot in the top 4. Melbourne, Brisbane and Freo are a breakaway top 3 but we're only a game now behind 4th. An important couple of weeks coming up for us before the Bye to build some winning momentum. Drop a game and we're back in the pack trying to just scrape into the top 8.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #137 on: May 09, 2022, 02:04:22 PM »
Damian Barrett is back on board. Reckons we can make the Top 4.

Matthew Lloyd said he initially didn't think much of us this year and at best we would just scrape into the top 8. Now he thinks with our stars all back and some naturally improvement (Short moved into the midfield, Bolton's class & Balta now back in defence) we can match every side bar Melbourne which we need to avoid.

David King still doesn't rate us. He said we are basically Essendon 2021. Good with the ball but our defending without it is still the issue.

Gerard Wheatley considered us for his current top 4 ranked teams but went for Carlton instead (along with Melb, Bris & Freo).

https://www.afl.com.au/video/758153/exclusive-vision-saints-coaching-lesson-tigers-for-top-four-
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/05/09/whateley-and-kings-top-4-seeds-after-round-8-2022/

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #138 on: May 09, 2022, 04:36:02 PM »
Honestly look at our run ahead.

A lot of winnable games.

Just need to be healthy and hungry in September and it may well be possible...

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #139 on: May 09, 2022, 08:39:30 PM »
Top 8 might be good just to give gibcus and mrj a taste of finals. I don’t think we have enough in the tank to go deep in sept but it will be good for development to get the kids there.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #140 on: May 09, 2022, 09:52:35 PM »
Top 8 might be good just to give gibcus and mrj a taste of finals. I don’t think we have enough in the tank to go deep in sept but it will be good for development to get the kids there.

Anything is possible dogs made gf in 21 outside side top 4 and we're struggling going into finals.All you need to do is time that run of finals and we're proven we can you never know.For me dees or lions hold no fear at all.It's how we manage the season now consistency and injuries etc.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #141 on: May 09, 2022, 10:18:01 PM »
I was optimistic pre season but lost a little faith after the Adelaide fiasco.

I'm starting to feel the vibe again . Next week should be our best team on paper.
Unleash the tornado

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #142 on: May 10, 2022, 12:09:47 PM »
Power Rankings after Round 8

Foxsports
10 May 2022

8. RICHMOND (4-4, 116.5%)

Last week’s ranking: 11

The top seven isn’t locked, but it looks pretty solid, so there’s a race for eighth going on. If you want to make the case for the Tigers - other than the fact they own it right now - it’s about their weapons and scoring potential. Even with the huge West Coast win throwing out their numbers a bit, they’re still an exciting outfit at their best, and if Richmond does make it into the finals nobody is going to want to play them given their experience. We want to see them do it a few more times in a row before fully buying into them, though. After all we’re only a few weeks on from the Adelaide loss, which looks even worse now.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2022-afl-power-rankings-after-round-8-analysis-every-club-ranked-reaction-wrap-ladder-top-eight-predictions/news-story/f9650d36ec73b3b23897daeb7f1db15c

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #143 on: May 10, 2022, 12:11:31 PM »
Can the Tigers push for a top-four spot?

Catch up on this week's episode of Access All Areas (with Lloyd & Barrett):

Watch here: https://twitter.com/AFL/status/1523814094859804672

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
THE “SERIOUS QUESTIONS” CASTING DOUBT OVER RICHMOND’S CONTENDER STATUS

By Seb Mottram
SEN
10 May 2022

Two-time premiership Kangaroo David King remains unconvinced that Richmond are premiership material.

Despite their 4-4 record, top-eight position and dominant Round 8 win over rivals Collingwood, confusion reigns over what Richmond can do in 2022 given their rocky form in the last 12 months.

Their midfield appears thin on paper and the club's defence has conceded three 100+ scores this season, but the Tigers have won their last two in smart fashion to spark hopes in September.

However, King compared Damien Hardwick’s side to Essendon’s run in the 2021 season that netted no more than an Elimination Final.

“If you swap the sash, I think they’re Essendon of last year,” King told SEN’s Whateley.

“I think they’re brilliant with the footy, serious questions without it.

“Okay, they’ve had to leave Robbie Tarrant out, they’ve put Noah Balta back, we’ll have to see that for another block of three or four weeks and assess that.

“And they’re gettable at stoppage, so they’re still a long way from the version we know, and most of it is without the ball, they don’t win the ball back as much, intercepting the ball between the arcs as much as the previous five years.”

All things considered, he doesn’t believe they will be contending for their fourth flag in six years in 2022.

“So I don’t think they are (contenders). I’m going to love watching them play because it’s aggressive, they want the game to be fast, they want the game to be basketball because they are seriously dangerous.

“But for me, again, they are just another dangerous team.

“I understand the euphoria and excitement, but that’s not contender-type excitement for me.”

It’s an opinion shared by former AFL forward Josh Jenkins.

While admitting the Tigers play a dangerous brand of football, as evidenced by their strong 27-point win over the Magpies, he says there are too many unknowns surrounding Hardwick’s men to declare them in the race.

“We just don’t know (the Tigers),” he told SEN’s The Run Home.

“I still think a lot of us still think there is enough of those premiership stars that they can be dangerous, whether they can be any more than dangerous I’m not sure, whether they can be a contender or consistent contender, I’m not sure.

“But on their day they’re dangerous, they handled Collingwood on the weekend.”

Richmond’s percentage of 116.5 is some 11.6 per cent higher than ninth placed Collingwood, and the Tigers will look to lock in their place in the top eight when taking on Hawthorn on Saturday.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/05/10/the-serious-questions-casting-doubt-over-richmonds-contender-status/

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #145 on: May 10, 2022, 05:13:57 PM »
Best team or what i think they think their best team is.

Vlastuin - Tarrant- Gibcus/Broad
Rioli - Balta - Grimes

Pickett - Martin - McIntosh
Nankervis - Cotchin - Prestia

Lambert - Riewioldt - Castagna
Bolton - Lynch - Martin

Graham - Short - Edwards - Soldo

The only change from 2020 is
out Astbury Houli retired
in Soldo Tarrant.

That team has been picked at every single opportunity apart from Soldo and We have put games into Gibcus.When they are fit we continue to play basically the 2020 premiership players.

It has already been shown just how ordinary we look when we cop our share of injuries and lo and behold we look decent with all or most of the oldies back.
Therin lies the conundrum. Keep playing the older players and a host of average players at the expense of playing kids and acknowledge they are going for a flag or Prioritise playing as many kids as possible in hopefully well balanced sides with enough experience around them.

Everyone knows what i think on it. Imo we cannot win another flag with the group so start to prioritise the younger players.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #146 on: May 10, 2022, 08:00:42 PM »
RoCo's Rant: Richmond Tigers are fierce and firing again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAnciEgAhA4

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #147 on: May 10, 2022, 09:56:26 PM »
Best team or what i think they think their best team is.

Vlastuin - Tarrant- Gibcus/Broad
Rioli - Balta - Grimes

Pickett - Martin - McIntosh

Lambert - Riewioldt - Castagna
Bolton - Lynch - Martin

Graham - Short - Edwards - Soldo

The only change from 2020 is
out Astbury Houli retired
in Soldo Tarrant.

That team has been picked at every single opportunity apart from Soldo and We have put games into Gibcus.When they are fit we continue to play basically the 2020 premiership players.

It has already been shown just how ordinary we look when we cop our share of injuries and lo and behold we look decent with all or most of the oldies back.
Therin lies the conundrum. Keep playing the older players and a host of average players at the expense of playing kids and acknowledge they are going for a flag or Prioritise playing as many kids as possible in hopefully well balanced sides with enough experience around them.

Everyone knows what i think on it. Imo we cannot win another flag with the group so start to prioritise the younger players.

I think we're doing both blooding kids to.I would have Miller in.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #148 on: May 11, 2022, 10:28:24 AM »
David King is wrong 97.68% of the time so his negative opinion of us is good for our chances this year

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #149 on: May 11, 2022, 10:29:08 AM »
Honestly look at our run ahead.

A lot of winnable games.

Just need to be healthy and hungry in September and it may well be possible...

Healthy and hungry are the keys