Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 901247 times)

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #6630 on: May 01, 2024, 03:06:45 PM »
Rumours are increasingly circulating around a retirement on game 300….

Wouldnt surprise me
Makes sense

Online Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6631 on: May 01, 2024, 04:20:00 PM »
Dusty checked out ages ago. It's plain obvious by the way he is playing . Just filling in time to get to 300.. very selfish in my opinion. Don't care what he has done and achieved. It's not the right way to end your career, disinterested.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6632 on: May 01, 2024, 09:46:11 PM »
Dusty is the least of our worries. There are so many other underperforming senior plays that don’t have anywhere near the resume of dusty. If dusty wants to retire so be it. If he wants to continue on I would not have any issue in giving him another contract on reasonably good coin. It’s not like we have salary cap issues or are anticipating any big names joining us in the next 1-2 years.

At the very least, his name will bring people through the gates while we are crap, just like richo did before him.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6633 on: May 01, 2024, 09:55:20 PM »
Dusty checked out ages ago. It's plain obvious by the way he is playing . Just filling in time to get to 300.. very selfish in my opinion. Don't care what he has done and achieved. It's not the right way to end your career, disinterested.

Or maybe a soon to be  33 yo can no longer do what he once did. I think he has showed so many times he has pride Loyalty Hunger class  all of that crap and he wants to repay a bit. Trouble is if he stays for those reasons  without being able to maintain the level of exellence, and lets be honest the drop off is there for all to see he will damage his own legacy.

Just retire champ you owe no one anything go out on top while you still can.

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6634 on: May 01, 2024, 10:02:03 PM »

Or maybe a soon to be  33 yo can no longer do what he once did. I think he has showed so many times he has pride Loyalty Hunger class  all of that crap and he wants to repay a bit. Trouble is if he stays for those reasons  without being able to maintain the level of exellence, and lets be honest the drop off is there for all to see he will damage his own legacy.

Just retire champ you owe no one anything go out on top while you still can.

He is a champ

But if he is staying for 300 he can f.o.

Don’t want to do interviews, I am private, I am precious, but want to get to 300 it’s either one or the other

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6635 on: May 01, 2024, 10:08:13 PM »
The man is one of the greatest players in our clubs history why shouldn’t he get to game 300? Why shouldn’t he play on next year if he desires to?

He isn’t the player he used to be, no1 is by the time you turn 33, but he’s still been better then 10+ players getting picked every week.

This is Dustin frkn Martin we are talking about here. Truly can’t understand some of the comments in this thread.

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6636 on: May 01, 2024, 10:09:53 PM »
The man is one of the greatest players in our clubs history why shouldn’t he get to game 300? Why shouldn’t he play on next year if he desires to?

He isn’t the player he used to be, no1 is by the time you turn 33, but he’s still been better then 10+ players getting picked every week.

This is Dustin frkn Martin we are talking about here. Truly can’t understand some of the comments in this thread.
True

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6637 on: May 01, 2024, 11:02:23 PM »

x2.

https://www.tiktok.com/@footy.mp4/video/7352827462943853832

just watched this again for the 20th time. I think i love him more than my wife.  :lol

Seriously, this guy is everything we loved about the RFC for 2017-2020. There was Dimma, Cotch, Jack, Rance, of course but fmd what a living legend this guy is.

He deserves to go out how he wants. I hope he sticks around but thats me.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6638 on: May 02, 2024, 10:43:07 AM »
It’s my opinion he’s the greatest tiger to ever play the game. The greatest finals player ever with 3 norms. That last one against Geelong he single handedly won the game for us without a doubt. Hard to judge him against the rest of the greats as the game as changed so much… he didn’t accumulate like Ablett but he probably made as much of an impact as anyone else to play the game

Combination of power, skill and footy smarts that is as rare as it gets. Also just the ability to rise to the occasion

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #6639 on: May 02, 2024, 11:26:14 AM »
Ohhhh Dustin Martin, you are the love of my life.

I feel like we are already starting the goodbyes. Who knows. When I think of Dusty and the dyansty, I think my fav was Jack but I feel it's cause Dusty as a fav is so cliche, he just was so damn good. I feel a real sense of gratitude as a 40 year old watching footy for the first time in the late 80s, early 90s and hearing about how good KB was, how good Francis and Hart were and for a long time we had nothing until Matthew came along and took us all on his shoulders for so long. Watching Dusty, I now know what it feels like when the generation before me talk and felt about KB and Bourkey. For that I feel so grateful, cause for so long it felt like I would never fully understand and witness any of that. So it's actually been a privilege to support and cheer him on, what a journey.

Watching that video, my most vivid Dusty memories is the goal vs Cats in 2020 where he snapped over his shoulder at the very end. This was just a pee take of genius, power, strength, skill and big stage player all in one. To this day, the most underated GF moment in history. Because it was Dusty, because it was our 3rd flag and because the game had only a few seconds left, absolutely insane gameplay by Dust.
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #6640 on: May 02, 2024, 11:31:29 AM »
Something I'll always chuckle looking back on, is what seemed like a month long argument with TigerMonk and I on who we would draft with Pick 3 that year, I'm sure WP remembers for the amount of posts he would have deleted lol.

TigerMonk wanted John Butcher, I wanted Dustin Martin. Both from VicCountry. I was adament this kid who I remember thinking he looked and played like a small Wayne Carey was our best bet, but TM was adamant we needed to future proof a post Richo era with a gun KP forward. We all profess to be fortune tellers and think we are list management experts, but I just had a good feel about the Martin boy. Never did I think he would turn out this well but he was absolutely the right selection. A big shout out to Jordy McMahon.

Long story short. We got Dusty and I'll never ever be openly smug and vindicated about being right. Lol sorry TM to bring up open wounds but lets cheers to Dusty and the upcoming 300th that will be a great celebration. Hope Johnny is watching too.
Go Tigers!

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6641 on: May 02, 2024, 12:12:03 PM »
Something I'll always chuckle looking back on, is what seemed like a month long argument with TigerMonk and I on who we would draft with Pick 3 that year, I'm sure WP remembers for the amount of posts he would have deleted lol.

TigerMonk wanted John Butcher, I wanted Dustin Martin. Both from VicCountry. I was adament this kid who I remember thinking he looked and played like a small Wayne Carey was our best bet, but TM was adamant we needed to future proof a post Richo era with a gun KP forward. We all profess to be fortune tellers and think we are list management experts, but I just had a good feel about the Martin boy. Never did I think he would turn out this well but he was absolutely the right selection. A big shout out to Jordy McMahon.

Long story short. We got Dusty and I'll never ever be openly smug and vindicated about being right. Lol sorry TM to bring up open wounds but lets cheers to Dusty and the upcoming 300th that will be a great celebration. Hope Johnny is watching too.

I remember it well.

Ah the good times of tracking Butcher's progress to nowhere whilst watching Dusty the champ

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6642 on: May 02, 2024, 12:33:00 PM »
In case anyone wants an update

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Butcher_(Australian_footballer)

Butcher's 2015 season start was also a struggle, as he'd managed only indifferent form in the SANFL, had played just one AFL match in Round 1 and looked odds on to be delisted at the end of the season. However, with Jay Schulz being a late exclusion in Round 20, Butcher came in against Greater Western Sydney and played the final four matches of the AFL season. Butcher's marking in the final two matches of the season was sublime, gathering 6 contested marks and 7 marks inside the 50 against Gold Coast and Fremantle. His end-of-season form was rewarded with a one-year contract offer for 2016. He was delisted at the conclusion of the 2016 season and subsequently signed to play football for Central Districts Football Club in the SANFL in 2017. Butcher and his brother Danny joined Northern Territory Football League (NTFL) club Nightcliff, playing in their 2018 premiership team, and then in the same year helped his home town of Maffra win their 9th premiership in 18 years. John now goes by the nickname "The Bad Boy" after dropping "The Future.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6643 on: May 03, 2024, 10:22:08 AM »
What game does Dusty play his 300th in? Surely he is due for a rest soon.

My guess is he is rested for the lions game and plays it v Hawks.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #6644 on: May 03, 2024, 10:24:15 AM »
What game does Dusty play his 300th in? Surely he is due for a rest soon.

My guess is he is rested for the lions game and plays it v Hawks.

One week calf or hammy or something else is surely imminent ?