Author Topic: NAB Cup round 2: Tigers vs Pies  (Read 10776 times)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: NAB Cup round 2: Tigers vs Pies
« Reply #105 on: February 27, 2009, 09:36:57 AM »
In the end the mustard was not cut. We lost the knife !

bushranger

« Reply #106 on: February 27, 2009, 09:49:50 AM »
Very good point, but at lease us in the country go to see some of our new lads on the feild for the forst time.
I enjoyed the game for that part of it.

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
« Reply #107 on: February 27, 2009, 10:18:26 AM »

Thing is  TA its the same mistakes, same culprits, same excuses every year ie. Its only pre season, but even me, the eternal optimist is geeting a little sick of it.
Why cant we come out one year and start laying tackles, hitting targets, kicking majors, finding space, like other clubs do. We all are so confident until our team hits the ground  :banghead
[/quote]

fair comment
 and to add to it  sure we will impove before Rd 1 but so will the other teams
so reality is we are  behind other teams that we need to beat
if we are to show that we are a better team than last season then we need to win and win well
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #108 on: February 27, 2009, 12:09:38 PM »
History lesson

Last year we lost to St Kilda in the Nab cup by 40+ points.When we played them in the season proper there wasn't a bees d*ck in it.
I dont think anyone should be pressing the PANIC BUTTON just yet.
Unleash the tornado

bushranger

« Reply #109 on: February 27, 2009, 12:36:13 PM »
I don't think anyone has hit the panic button yet. What we are all worried about is the crappy way the ball was delivered thoughout the match. Well that is what I am worried about as I would have thought this would have been done and dusted by this time.
And the bad desicion's that were made thoughout the match to. And this was by close to all players.
I think we all were hoping to see us being able to do a decent job but that wasn't so last night.
So there is haeps of work to do before we get to the season proper.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2009, 01:28:08 PM »
Collingwood were pretty scrappy at times too and they had 3 full pre-season practise matches where we only had the one. I find it quite funny how many Chicken Little types there are around at this time of the year.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #111 on: February 27, 2009, 01:45:08 PM »
It really is a disgrace how we can never lead the tackle count in any game we play. I blame the coaching stuff for that. A big emphasis should be placed on that in our defensive 50 but its not and teams just run out with ease.

Maybe you could assist by going down to training and volunteering to be a tackle bag.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #112 on: February 27, 2009, 01:56:55 PM »
I thought Tambling was in our best tonight. But then again I was at the game, sounds like you watched it on telly Daniel. His tackling was great, his workload is what earned him his 'cheap' stats, and he did more than his fair share of the hard work tonight, in fact when he got caught with it by Maxwell at CHB in the 3rd quarter, did people actually realise that 1) Tambling was on his 3rd or 4th effort for that passage of play and 2) He was outnumbered by about 5/1 and even after he trapped the ball in after a couple of efforts there was still no one there to help.

Glad to hear that DC, I watched it on TV and I was disspaointed with Richie, however as you said you do miss a lot on TV  :thumbsup.

One incident in the 3rd quarter had me riled though where it appeared he shirked a contest.  If I remember correctly there was also an incident last year were a similar sort of thing happened.  However he could have been wrong footed or off balance I just wouldn't like to see that thing happen too regularly.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #113 on: February 27, 2009, 02:02:45 PM »
Collingwood     4.2 (26)     5.4 (34)     9.5 (59)     14.10 (94)
Richmond        2.5 (17)     3.9 (27)     5.12 (42)     5.15 (45)

Goals: Richardson, Vickery, White, Brown, Newman

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2009, 02:12:29 PM »
Can't say I am too dissapointed with the game.

Our kicking was woeful and over the whole of last season was fairly good overall I thought.  I wouldn't expect this to be a problem in the season proper.

We got shown a football lesson in tackling and defensive pressure by the Skunks.  As has been noted this is one of the areas we lack in and I'm sure remedial steps are being taken inside RFC.

Good to see some of the newbies and very impressed with Rance and pleased with Cuz's game.  Also with Foley I think he will benefit so much by the other midfield talent coming along in our side this year.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #115 on: February 27, 2009, 02:22:28 PM »
Sloppy skills aside I thought we looked in control for atleast half the game.Terrible kicking for goal from set shots cost us badly.We could of been 20 points up halfway in the third.Disappointing Collingwood kicked the last 7 or 8 goals and it became a blow out.
Overall two very scrappy performances by Richmond in the pre season but who wants to be "March Premiers" anyway. :gotigers
Well done Benny.....Cant wait to see you with afew more games under your belt  :clapping
Unleash the tornado

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #116 on: February 27, 2009, 03:22:18 PM »
Both teams found it hard to break through the zones which caused much of the scappy play and poor decision making throughout the game. Around the packs and in congestion we were the superior team but unfortunately they were better when moving the ball into their F50. They seemed to have more forward options and space to kick around the 50m arc.

Our biggest problem was that we struggled to first move the ball into and then find space in the area between the center square and the F50 arc. This is why we resorted to kicking it long to a contest so frequently and had problems spotting up a leading forward. On many occasions Vickery made an excellent lead but we could not kick it to him because of their zone or the pressure that was being placed on the ball carrier. Collingwood had more experienced players of size to break through and shepherd there way into this area which allowed them to find lead-up targets more.

If anything we should have followed the Pies lead and created an even bigger zone. The zones are ugly and will be our biggest bugbear this year given our fast style of play. We may need to bring in more taller marking players to get through the congestion in the middle with smaller crumbers at their feet.

Collingwood had a full strength team in. Medhurst was the only notable absentee (Yes 'Rocker' too but he is no given) but they were determined to win and win the NAB Cup as a whole. They are further ahead than us this year given there additional full match practice to build up their match fitness. But we are not attempting to peak early in the season like the Pies appear to be, we are attempting to get better as the year progresses.

There was a lot to like about Rances game and Vickery and Nahas show glimpses of brilliance. Cousins will be better for the run as will all our players.

I think there is a lot of positives to take away from the game rather than just negatives

Stripes

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #117 on: February 27, 2009, 05:05:41 PM »
Dear o Dear...

NAB is never about the result nor how the game is played, has different rules for a start. We missed some key players that will play when the real stuff starts:

Tuck
Bowden
Coughlan
Cotchin
McGuane
Schultz
Hughes
Pattison

and Johnno only played a half after what I thought was not a bad game from him, and I'm one of his biggest knockers. He's our general in the middle that we sometimes really need. We also missed Tucks physical presence in the guts with McGuane hardness in the backline as well.

Pies also had a full strength side missing only Rocca who is junk and Medhurst, Rusling. Credit where credit is due they were pretty disciplined and played strict to there zoning game plan.

So many players haven't had time to gel in matches with the rest of teh side.

Cousins, Thompson, Rance, Graham, Nahas, Hislop, Vickory all very raw in the Richmond side. Anyone whose played the game knows it takes more than training and time to really know your team mates games and to link and gel with each other. It will take time.

Its all about the new players and what they can add to the side in pre season.

Just chill and relax, besides if Browny snap kicked that goal when we were 10 points down, who knows what the result could have been.

Lets not tear the memberships up yet.
Go Tigers!

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #118 on: February 27, 2009, 05:14:56 PM »
History lesson

Last year we lost to St Kilda in the Nab cup by 40+ points.When we played them in the season proper there wasn't a bees d*ck in it.

You're right, I think that game was even more disgraceful than last night.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Online julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #119 on: February 27, 2009, 05:18:17 PM »
Maybe people are just tired of us losing.