Author Topic: NAB Cup round 2: Tigers vs Pies  (Read 10782 times)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: NAB Cup round 2: Tigers vs Pies
« Reply #120 on: February 27, 2009, 05:57:42 PM »
Maybe people are just tired of us losing.

You could say that

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #121 on: February 27, 2009, 07:30:44 PM »
The criticisms we've all mentioned are least acknowledged by the coaching staff....

Tigers must clean up their act
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen
Fri 27 February, 2009

IF CLEANLINESS is next to Godliness, then Richmond is a long way from heaven.

The Tigers played some reasonable football in the first half and early in the third term, but Collingwood then grabbed the momentum and kicked nine of the last 11 goals to win their NAB Cup quarter final by 46 points at Telstra Dome on Thursday night.

Tigers coach Terry Wallace saw some positives out of the game, mostly the young or returning players, but he was clearly underwhelmed with his side’s ball use, with the Tigers losing the ‘goals from turnovers’ count 11-4.

“Look, it was a strange game – I thought at half time it was game-on, and I thought six or seven minutes into the third quarter I thought we were slightly starting to get some sort of ascendancy,” he said after the match.

“But it’s a game of momentum, and when you keep having opportunities … if you have a look at scoring shots, there’s not that much between them, you have a look at stoppages, you have a look at contested balls, you have a look at inside 50s, there’s not that much between them.

“But cleanliness of ball use was the difference between the two sides.

“Shots at goal, we went at 25 per cent for the night, we’re missing them from 35 or 40 metres out in front or 45 degree angles, and they’re kicking boundary line shots.

“We went at 25 per cent, they went at 58 percent, last year we kicked at 62 per cent.

“You’re not going to beat anyone if you’re kicking at 25 per cent on goal.

“The other area that we’ve still got to work on is our tackle intensity – I think we were 20 tackles down on the opposition.

“When we had the momentum, we didn’t make the most of the opportunities, and when you do that, you leave the door open.”

The talking point of the final term was the first ever free kick for a deliberately rushed behind. Tigers defender Jordie McMahon handball crossed the goal-line as he was being tackled.

“We’re not allowed to talk about umpire’s decisions, unfortunately, but I’ll speak to Jeff (Gieschen, AFL umpires boss) about it, just to get clarification with it,” Wallace said.

“I was surprised with the call, but that’s OK – everyone’s got to get used to what goes on.

“It’s one goal in the game, it didn’t make any difference to the game, so we don’t get carried away by any of those sorts of things.

“The first thing we’ve got to know is was the umpire’s call right?

“If the call’s incorrect, they’ve got to deal with that side of it and we’ll just deal with the rule as it is.

“If the call was correct, well we probably need some explanation on why it was a correct call.

“No drama, we’ll just have a chat.”

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/72612/default.aspx

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #122 on: February 27, 2009, 07:40:59 PM »

I know I am Julz, i just want to win a few and have people stop laughing at us, I wouldn't mind being "March premiers". I have noticed the only people who say "it's only pre season" are the ones who lose.
I dont mind trying out the newbies and youd expect them to make a few mistakes , but with our seasoned players...I'm sorry, it's unacceptable. I dont care who was missing and I dont care so much about the score, but I do care when our seasoned players make the same old mistakes, because when youve been making the same mistakes time and time again, its not a mistake anymore, its lack of skill.
I'm not about to tear my membership up, but I'm sure Terry would like to tear some players a new one! :banghead

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #123 on: February 27, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »
I've been saying "it's only preseason" to non-Richmond supporters.  I was disappointed as a friend of mine has come out from England and his mate and I had talked him into supporting the Tigers and he goes to the game and this happens.  We don't seem to be learning from our mistakes.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #124 on: February 27, 2009, 08:59:44 PM »
While I think we will have a good 2009 I think the first six weeks will be tough. 

I know I wont be making any judgements until the season is just about over.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #125 on: February 27, 2009, 09:29:22 PM »
i must say i am already feeling better about last night watching the bumbers and the lions butchering the ball.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

bushranger

« Reply #126 on: February 27, 2009, 09:40:53 PM »
Going by the game tonight, I see relly no difference  between the ball handling in that game to our game. So it has to be a early year thing. And I think this should give us a lot of heart as far as i can see we are as equal with the Bombers and the Lions in the skills area.

Tigermonk

« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2009, 02:41:28 AM »
lol  :lol cant beleive some supporters take the preseason serious Hello No1 Cares its practice games
anyone who thinks the club was going hard in this game needs to go get a life  ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2009, 10:56:37 PM »
Yep preseason results meaning nothing. Compared to our NAB Cup against St Kilda this time last year Thursday night was still 100 times better despite the mistakes and problems up forward. At least there were positives to take out of this game - our backline worked well both defensively and rebounding and our midfield at centre bounces I would've thought watching live won more than their fair share of clearances (without Tucky there) which makes a pleasant change from last year. Gus at least gives us a 2nd ruck option than Patto did. After the St Kilda NAB game last year I was thinking back-to-back spoons. As Chucky said let's wait till round 6-7 before going ape.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #129 on: February 28, 2009, 10:58:46 PM »
I thought some of our youngsters were okay and to me the result was irrelevant. (Although it would have been nice to win). Also 8-10 regulars out of the side so nothing to really worry about. If anything I think the Skunks are where they were last year 5-8 and ultimately barring injuries to us we can be there too.At his stage Pies have no injuries and are taking the nab seriously as opposed to other sides. Hawks have overtaken them in memberships need to build a smokescreen to the fact they are skata and no longer number 1 on and off the field. Pies winning nab may buy them a few thousand more with all the friendly Magpie Media outlets jumping on the bandwagon to plug them. On a humorous note to see Joffa and about 200 ferals post match singing Pies song and chanting Collingwood Collingwood outside Gate 2 was just a sight in itself and why they take it so seriously as the hard core Skunk Fan who lives on the result rather than focusing on the content.

Vickery very raw but loved the way he ran his opponent under the ball to centre to Jack in the 3rd.
Thompson looked good and hard at it also.
I also liked the look of Rance also.
I thought Newman was good and Foley was good too.

My biggest beef is with Tambling. 3rd quarter heard the footsteps did not go for it when the ball hung in the air for abit. Very disappointing. He does try but he is not good enough and you'll find if Wallace is not coach at the end of the season Tambling won't be here either. No Wallace to justify him. Will be fodder to Gold Coast for draft picks whilst he is still young.

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #130 on: March 01, 2009, 01:10:40 PM »

I know I am Julz, i just want to win a few and have people stop laughing at us, I wouldn't mind being "March premiers". I have noticed the only people who say "it's only pre season" are the ones who lose.
I dont mind trying out the newbies and youd expect them to make a few mistakes , but with our seasoned players...I'm sorry, it's unacceptable. I dont care who was missing and I dont care so much about the score, but I do care when our seasoned players make the same old mistakes, because when youve been making the same mistakes time and time again, its not a mistake anymore, its lack of skill.
I'm not about to tear my membership up, but I'm sure Terry would like to tear some players a new one! :banghead

I very much agree with most of this. Can sombody please explain to me why a professional football player would loose skills in the 6 weeks they have off and have to regain them in practice matches. Match fitness I could understand but they have been training for 4 months and any rustness should be gone it that time. They cant have forgotten how to kick and handball in 6 weeks can they.

The skills were horrible but what was even worse was the decision making. How many times did somebody handball to a teamate that was going nowhere. Do they loose football thinking in that 6 weeks off too ?

I dont care about the result, I would of just liked to see improvement in those areas and didnt.  Least I get to see them in Shepperton  :)
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #131 on: March 01, 2009, 09:20:29 PM »
I think the butchering of the ball has been a "feature" of the entire NAB competition thus far.

Apart from Geelong last week.... though after watching them yesterday they seemed to have joined in on the "feature"

This new game style of everyone trying to copy Hawthorn or stop Hawthorn (happy handball anyone  :banghead) means all skills need to be spot on. When there is a skill error the turnovers are just killing sides... Perhaps teams should start playing to their own strengths (and I am not just talking about Richmond here) as opposed to trying to copy something that may not or isn't in their best interests

Having re-watched Thursday's game I've come away thinking that it wasn't as bad as what some people think. We were in that game up until the 8-10 minute mark in the final qtr. Having said the way the Ch 10 commentators were carrying on you'd think we had been non-competitive for the entire game. At times the Pies skills and the execution of them were as woeful as ours

And just on this feature/obsession of butchering the ball  ::)

I will admit I find it (this obsession with Hawthorn's style) strange.... my take is that we (RFC) won 8 out of the final 11 (I think that was the number) games in 2008 including being the last team to beat Hawthorn playing a very deliberate game style.... Personally I think we should stick to that but hey that's just me 
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

bushranger

« Reply #132 on: March 01, 2009, 09:38:04 PM »
I have to agree with the above as I too have watched what we do get on the tele and all the games seem to have this feature of bad ball use. So I'm not too worried about it as if it is a trend then we are on the ball with other teams.
And I did see the Pies making errors just like we did to. So I will bet all this is ironed out before the season proper.
I hope anyway I wouldn't want to pay money to watch scrappy games all year long.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #133 on: March 01, 2009, 09:53:44 PM »
I very much agree with most of this. Can sombody please explain to me why a professional football player would loose skills in the 6 weeks they have off and have to regain them in practice matches. Match fitness I could understand but they have been training for 4 months and any rustness should be gone it that time. They cant have forgotten how to kick and handball in 6 weeks can they.
I have wondered if it has anything to do with the preseason weights that they've done to bulk up. Adding size can alter the way you move and it may just be an adjustment period. I think some forwards lose a bit of accuracy they had while they get used to their new larger bodies too.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #134 on: March 01, 2009, 10:32:49 PM »
I thought some of our youngsters were okay and to me the result was irrelevant. (Although it would have been nice to win). Also 8-10 regulars out of the side so nothing to really worry about. If anything I think the Skunks are where they were last year 5-8 and ultimately barring injuries to us we can be there too.At his stage Pies have no injuries and are taking the nab seriously as opposed to other sides. Hawks have overtaken them in memberships need to build a smokescreen to the fact they are skata and no longer number 1 on and off the field. Pies winning nab may buy them a few thousand more with all the friendly Magpie Media outlets jumping on the bandwagon to plug them. On a humorous note to see Joffa and about 200 ferals post match singing Pies song and chanting Collingwood Collingwood outside Gate 2 was just a sight in itself and why they take it so seriously as the hard core Skunk Fan who lives on the result rather than focusing on the content.

Vickery very raw but loved the way he ran his opponent under the ball to centre to Jack in the 3rd.
Thompson looked good and hard at it also.
I also liked the look of Rance also.
I thought Newman was good and Foley was good too.

My biggest beef is with Tambling. 3rd quarter heard the footsteps did not go for it when the ball hung in the air for abit. Very disappointing. He does try but he is not good enough and you'll find if Wallace is not coach at the end of the season Tambling won't be here either. No Wallace to justify him. Will be fodder to Gold Coast for draft picks whilst he is still young.

Hard not to agree with 100% of this statement.

Thompson and Vickery i enjoyed watching the most.

Tambling continues to dissapoint though and i believe he is only getting a game because Wallace has to justify to the football public how this fraud gets a senior gig week in week out.

Wow he took an overhead mark, wow he nabbed 5 goals against the eagles. I rate him as i rate JON and Fiora. Weak and pathetic and any other club but freo would have him playing reserves.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.