Author Topic: Nathan Broad [merged]  (Read 93865 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Nathan Broad [merged]
« Reply #422 on: May 17, 2023, 11:05:58 PM »
2 years $1mil should be fine you'd think with Jack and Cotch likely to retire.

Looks like Hawk will be playing on so after that jumper swap you reckon Jack is a certainty to hang up the boots.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #423 on: May 17, 2023, 11:19:10 PM »
I reckon we’ll need to offer him 3 years. Length would be more important than $$$ at his age imo.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #424 on: May 18, 2023, 09:35:36 AM »
I'd be offering a trigger clause and see if he bites. Will be 33 in final year.

Has been durable though

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #425 on: May 18, 2023, 04:17:44 PM »
Here's the bit about Broad from the full HeraldSun article that WP posted the link to:

---------------------------------------------

Richmond will need to offer Nathan Broad a three-year contract on a salary of up to $500,000 to keep the underrated unrestricted free agent.

The Tigers have been working on other list priorities before considering his contract, with coach Damien Hardwick admitting his brilliant game on Jeremy Cameron had lifted his price tag.

Broad has long taken less to keep the Richmond list together but at a Richmond team that knows Jack Riewoldt and Trent Cotchin will retire this year it might be his time to cash in.

Robbie Tarrant has a degenerative hip issue which means at 34 this is more than likely his last season too.

Richmond plans to start contract talks in round 11 with Broad, who at this stage is keen to stay at the club as he and wife Tayla Damir await the birth of their first child.

But as one of the best unrestricted free agents on the market he now has significant leverage even in a year where he has turned 30.

His manager Colin Young famously pushes a hard bargain for his clients and would be able to secure a three-year deal on more than $500,000 for Broad if he left.

Despite speculation West Coast would be interested in Broad he hasn’t engaged in talks with rival teams.

But if his contract position drifts on rival clubs will come to the party so it will be up to Richmond to get that deal done mid-year.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/trade-hq/afl-moneyball-trade-news-paddy-dow-nathan-broad-jade-gresham-tasmania-list-build-latest/news-story/48b50570d7a5747f11857b92d6d62a74

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #426 on: May 18, 2023, 10:23:15 PM »
deserves every last cent.

wouldnt hold it against him if he left either but i very much doubt he is going anywhere as i suspect we are going to have some freed up cap space over the next few years.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #427 on: May 19, 2023, 01:02:58 PM »
Free agents in 2023

Jon Ralph
HeraldSun
May 19, 2023

Nathan Broad (Richmond)

There isn’t massive interest yet in Broad because he’s 30 and will sign at the Tigers if they offer a three-year deal on massive money.

But he is an unrestricted free agent, he is durable, he can play tall or small, he has all of the intellectual property from the Richmond premierships and he is just a damned good player.

The evidence? He held Jack Silvagni and Jack Martin goalless in round 2, held Izak Rankine to one goal in round 2, held Jake Waterman goalless in round 8, held Jeremy Cameron goalless.

If the Cats were prepared to give up pick 30 for Shaun Higgins as a 32-year-old someone would be mad not to explore if they could acquire Broad.

His midfield teammate Kamdyn McIntosh is also an unrestricted free agent but is likely to hit a games-based trigger that gives him a contract for 2024.

NATHAN BROAD - STAY OR GO?
Stay  74 %
Go    26 %
647 votes

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/trade-hq/afl-free-agency-jon-ralph-lists-15-available-free-agents-in-2023/news-story/ea8fe3908c9f3475bdea50b727ba3cb1

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Nathan Broad Signs 2 Year Extenion
« Reply #428 on: May 31, 2023, 09:33:37 AM »
2 more years for Broady  :clapping :clapping

Source = RFC Twitter

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #429 on: May 31, 2023, 09:44:07 AM »
Good news for us, thanks Broady

Broadsword

« Reply #430 on: May 31, 2023, 09:47:36 AM »
Oh good, someone committing to the club. Great leadership from Broady here when others, in the year we were supposed to be "taking the stairs," decided to take the door.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Nathan Broad Signs 2 Year Extenion
« Reply #431 on: May 31, 2023, 09:51:38 AM »
Broad inks two-year extension

Nathan Broad has committed to Richmond, tying him to the Club until at least the end of 2025.

By Richmond Media - Just now

Richmond's star triple premiership defender Nathan Broad has committed his future to the Club, putting pen to paper on a two-year extension this week.

Broad, who finished 10th in last year's Jack Dyer Medal, has had an excellent start to the 2023 season averaging 17 disposals, 4.9 marks, and 4.2 rebound 50s per game while often nullifying one of the opposition's most damaging forwards.

The now 30-year-old defender arrived at the Club from the strong Western Australian Football League (WAFL) late in 2015 as a mature-aged recruit, having gradually risen the ranks at Swan Districts.

A late-bloomer, Broad played 44 reserves matches (and 20 League) for the Swans between 2011-14 before shooting into National Draft contention in 2015.

Broad featured just twice at senior level in his debut AFL season but was able to earn his place in the fast-charging Tigers team for the final 10 matches of the Club's drought-breaking 2017 premiership campaign.

Broad has continually strengthened his game since then, establishing himself as a senior player across the past six years, featuring in 114 AFL games and adding a further two premierships

The 30-year-old, who was judged best on ground in the eyes of the coaches in the recent Round 9 match against Geelong, showcased his well-rounded offensive and defensive ability, gathering game-high intercepts and one-percenters and 19 disposals while mainly opposed to the Cats’ reigning best and fairest Jeremy Cameron who booted just one goal.

Broad ranks #2 at Richmond for One Percenter’s per match and is #4 for average Rebound 50s, #6 for Bounces and Intercepts, #7 for Marks, and #8 for Kicks.

Richmond General Manager, Football Talent Blair Hartley said having Broad commit to the Club for another two years was exciting.

"Nathan is an important player for us both on and off the field with his versatility, reliability, and energy making us a better team," he added.

"He has worked incredibly hard for everything he has achieved in his time in the AFL, and his drive to get the best out of himself and those around him remains strong.

"This contract is a great reward for Nathan and his family, and equally, we are thrilled to keep him at Richmond."

The contract extension will take Broad into a 9th and 10th season at Richmond, tying him to the Club until the end of 2025.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1346933/broad-inks-two-year-extension

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #432 on: May 31, 2023, 10:11:28 AM »
Amazing news!!! Our backline is being hammered as it is and it’s a relief we have broady for a bit longer to help us navigate this storm.

Love everything about this guy and seemed to have gotten better each year since 2017

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #433 on: May 31, 2023, 11:12:21 AM »
Our best defender  :clapping

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #434 on: May 31, 2023, 04:32:47 PM »
I think this is really significant. 2 reasons

1. Richmond is worth staying and playing for post Hardwick
2. There is a sense of belief of us being successful soon and not needing to throw the list out for a entire rebuild.

There are holes to be worked on and I'm really wrapped abroad will be here for 2 more years, think he's out best defender.
Go Tigers!