Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 898752 times)

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #5970 on: September 02, 2022, 11:45:07 AM »
Julz I see your comment mentioned a few times, so my counter argument to that is what was he like post round 3 last year?

Those incidents hasn’t helped, but I feel he has been on the decline since early last year.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5971 on: September 02, 2022, 11:53:21 AM »
Julz I see your comment mentioned a few times, so my counter argument to that is what was he like post round 3 last year?

Those incidents hasn’t helped, but I feel he has been on the decline since early last year.
TBH I don't really remember that far back.  But I saw Robbo crunch him at Metricon right in front of me and it looked nasty and since then he has looked a little hesitant which you can't blame him.  I don't think the constant media scrutiny helps either.  Would do anyone's head in.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5972 on: September 02, 2022, 03:40:15 PM »
“WAY UNDERDONE”: DID RICHMOND MAKE A SELECTION MISTAKE?

By Alex Zaia
SEN
2 September 2022

Kane Cornes believes Richmond made a mistake selecting an “underdone” Dustin Martin in Thursday night’s Elimination Final loss to Brisbane.

The Tigers superstar was passed fit to play having not appeared since Round 16 due to a hamstring injury.

Martin finished with 15 disposals and a goal as Richmond went down by two points in a high-scoring thriller at the Gabba.

Cornes says Martin’s inclusion should be a warning to other coaches who are contemplating rolling the dice on players who aren’t 100 per cent fit.

“A mistake clearly to play Dustin Martin I thought,” Cornes told SEN Breakfast.

“Your ears pricked up before the game when Damien Hardwick says he’s only going to be 80 per cent fit.

“He was a bit of a liability last night, Dustin Martin, they didn’t want to get him on the ground in the vital moments. Just three touches (in the last quarter), all of those in the defensive half and for the last half of the last quarter they didn’t want to get him on the ground.

“So a warning to other coaches, injured players – regardless of how good they are and regardless of their reputation – doesn’t often work in finals, I don’t think.”

SEN Breakfast co-host David King disagrees: “I hold a contrary view, but that’s okay.”

“Just the fact that he’s out there, he takes a match-up and you get the domino effect, you get lesser-ranked players against other talent in that Richmond forward line, and you’d have to say the Richmond forward line functioned, they’ve finished with 16.8, so I don’t agree with that opinion.

“I understand you’re hot on the decision to play him, but why wouldn’t you play him? What he’s done in finals, we haven’t seen a player like this in finals before.

“So when he’s declared fit to play, what, you don’t play him?”

Cornes continued: “If he’s 80 per cent and they couldn’t get him on or didn’t want him on in the last 10 minutes of the game, you lose (Dion) Prestia which means (Shane) Edwards comes on, so you lose the structure and rotation a little bit there.

“I just thought he was way underdone. Hadn’t played since Round 16.

“To what level undone? He looked way underdone.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/09/01/way-underdone-did-richmond-make-a-selection-mistake/

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5973 on: September 02, 2022, 05:07:06 PM »
I agree.

Even if both he and Graham were 80% injury recovered at least Graham would be somewhat match fit. Dusty not so much.

I wonder if Graham could have gone to Neale.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5974 on: September 02, 2022, 11:09:32 PM »
Dusty may have been 80% fit but he looked about 15% interested. Reckon he has checked out. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 11:27:37 PM by Go Richo 12 »

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5975 on: September 03, 2022, 01:38:34 AM »
Did we get more out of Dusty than we would have from Edwards? i think so.

If people were expecting him to dominate this game under the circumstances then all i can say is people really are delusional.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dustin Martin keen to play on at Richmond next year: Jon Ralph (Fox Footy)
« Reply #5976 on: September 03, 2022, 07:21:36 AM »
According to Jon Ralph last night, Richmond and those close to Dusty have said that he wants to stay and is keen to play on at Richmond next year and the year after that.

He did admit to them that he has struggled for motivation this year given his father's death.

Now that he will have 3 months off and possibly will be allowed a break until January before coming back for preseason training will allow him to reset.

Gold Coast is interested if Dusty did want to leave.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #5977 on: September 03, 2022, 01:32:23 PM »
Reckon he’s cooked
But can’t underestimate a champion
Hopefully he gets himself primed for a bounce back year

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5978 on: September 03, 2022, 01:47:24 PM »
We need our fitness guy from Sydney back.  Burge has been a stuffen disaster this year.  His injury management and rehab this year have been the worst in the history of the club.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5979 on: September 03, 2022, 02:05:02 PM »
Even in the early days Dusty was  average without a high level of fitness. Hopefully he comes back in the pre season as Brownlow Dusty

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5980 on: September 03, 2022, 03:39:44 PM »
Even in the early days Dusty was  average without a high level of fitness. Hopefully he comes back in the pre season as Brownlow Dusty

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5981 on: September 04, 2022, 04:41:58 AM »
4. Dustin Martin

Strong game without being gobsmackingly good. Straight to goalsquare on Darcy Gardiner then rotated through centre bounce clearances. Got on the end of a lovely Tigers passage of play in the first term for his opening goal.

Foxsports rating: 6

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-finals-2022-richmond-tigers-vs-brisbane-lions-second-elimination-final-highlights-stats-best-and-worst-players/news-story/7fc45960b9d79ca09461c1ff3de0ff76

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5982 on: September 04, 2022, 05:54:15 AM »
THE CONVERSATION HARDWICK “WILL HAVE TO HAVE” WITH MARTIN THIS OFF-SEASON

Ethan Clark
SEN
4 September 2022

Dustin Martin won’t be able to escape the spotlight with an interstate move, says former Adelaide coach Brenton Sanderson.

Speaking on SEN’s Crunch Time Sanderson explained why he thinks Martin is more likely to stay than go, with his career seemingly coming into its twilight years.

“Unfortunately, he can’t escape (the headlines), he has to embrace it. That’s the contract that you’re obligated to fulfil at the very best of your talents,” he said.

“That’s the conversation that he will have to have with Dimma (Damien) Hardwick this off-season. If you’re (at Richmond), you’re all in.”

The 269-game superstar managed just nine games in 2022 for the yellow and black and has been linked to moves to New South Wales and Queensland with Gold Coast shaping as a key suitor if they were to make a play.

Averaging just 18.3 disposals a game (the lowest in his career), could Martin be on the lookout for a fresh start elsewhere to rekindle his love for the game?

Sanderson doesn’t think so.

“I can't see him leaving Richmond, maybe that’s just a bit of romance about the greatness he’s brought to the footy club over the last six years,” he explained.

“We just have to sit and wait; it’s going to be interesting.”

The three-time premiership player has two years left to run on around $1 million per season at Punt Road.

The trade period runs from the 3rd to the 12th of October in 2022.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/09/03/the-conversation-hardwick-will-have-to-have-with-martin-this-off-season/

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5983 on: September 04, 2022, 09:49:22 AM »
So if we listen to Cornes when was a good time to play him?

Lynch kicks that goal and we go on to next weekend are we better off bringing Dusty in for his first game next week and being Rusty Dusty in that game, or would he have improved with having played against Brisbane?

We made the right call to play him

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5984 on: September 04, 2022, 11:06:19 AM »
Agree, so dumb ass Cornes would have us bring in who instead and they would have the ability to be better
Stupid attention seeker who works for a bloke who goes though peoples bins