Author Topic: Alternative guernseys  (Read 140443 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Alternative guernseys
« Reply #165 on: April 13, 2006, 05:14:14 PM »
He goes onto add that the Bombers are only required to wear a clash jumper against Richmond, Melbourne and St Kilda

Have we been told which clubs we need to wear a clash jumper against?

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #166 on: April 13, 2006, 05:37:01 PM »
The Club on the other hand doesn't have a leg to stand on as far as protesting against an alternative strip. The AFL owns the logos, emblems, jumpers, etc..

Don’t have a leg to stand on?  Sorry MT, but I don’t give up that easily and I don’t understand why Clubs seemingly do.  We’ve been referred to as ‘toothless’ in the past, but this beats all.

The AFL are the ones who don’t have a leg to stand on, because they say one thing and do another.

>:( >:( >:( >:( Why in the hell have I been putting money into RFC all these years, believing that I’m helping to retain its traditions and so on, yet some bozo who couldn’t care less about Richmond gets more of a say in how it’s run than us members do?

Which category do club members fall in to, seeing as we’re clearly not part of the ‘football community’ that the AFL seems so interested in, because we’re the only ones not getting a say here, except Coll members?
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL clarifies the clash (RFC site)
« Reply #167 on: April 13, 2006, 06:12:00 PM »
AFL clarifies the clash
4:43:44 PM Thu 13 April, 2006
Jennifer Witham
Sportal for afl.com.au

Andrew Demetriou has moved to set the record straight regarding the recent debate over clash uniforms and alternative strips.

The AFL chief executive said there was no intention to adopt a home-and-away uniform policy and that the clash uniforms would only come into play when competing clubs with similar guernseys oppose each other.

"The purpose of this policy is to provide a clear point of difference between the playing uniforms of clubs for the benefit of spectators at the ground, television viewers around Australia and participating players," Demetriou said in a statement released by the AFL.

"A survey conducted by the AFL Players' Association in 2004 indicated that 85.6% or 451 of the 527 players who responded supported the adoption of clash jumpers.

"We estimate a club would wear its clash jumper once or twice per year, depending on how the fixture fell in any particular season.

"There is no intention on our part to adopt a home-and-away uniform policy.

"The policy relates only to when there are clashes between the uniforms of competing clubs and it therefore solely relates to presenting the game so that there is a clear difference in the playing apparel worn by competing clubs."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=257603

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #168 on: April 13, 2006, 06:29:20 PM »
From a colorblind point of view the only jumper that clashes with ours is Essendon

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #169 on: April 13, 2006, 06:34:41 PM »
The Club on the other hand doesn't have a leg to stand on as far as protesting against an alternative strip. The AFL owns the logos, emblems, jumpers, etc..

Don’t have a leg to stand on?  Sorry MT, but I don’t give up that easily and I don’t understand why Clubs seemingly do.  We’ve been referred to as ‘toothless’ in the past, but this beats all.

The AFL are the ones who don’t have a leg to stand on, because they say one thing and do another.

>:( >:( >:( >:( Why in the hell have I been putting money into RFC all these years, believing that I’m helping to retain its traditions and so on, yet some bozo who couldn’t care less about Richmond gets more of a say in how it’s run than us members do?

Which category do club members fall in to, seeing as we’re clearly not part of the ‘football community’ that the AFL seems so interested in, because we’re the only ones not getting a say here, except Coll members?

I'm talking legally TS. Morally now that's a different question. The RFC and the other 15 clubs as part of being in the AFL must abide by the rules of the AFL created by the AFL. In the mid 80's all the VFL clubs handed over power to the VFL and now AFL commission which included ownership of the logos, emblems and guernseys. You can argue that that power was never given to do this sort of thing but legally the Clubs have no say whether the like it or not and in the RFC's case I'm pretty sure it's not. If they resist playing in an alternative strip the AFL could fine them, deduct match points or whatever for failing to abide by the rules of the AFL. Call it blackmail and/or unjust but that's the reality the clubs are facing. Eddie is fighting tooth and nail to get their old white and black stripes strip accepted as their alternative strip. If the AFL knocks it back then there's nothing he can do. The RFC doesn't have an old strip in the last 90 years to put up to the AFL as an alternative strip. Neither does Essendon.   

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #170 on: April 13, 2006, 07:40:04 PM »

Have we been told which clubs we need to wear a clash jumper against?

I don't know but I would guess and say that our clashes would be the same as Essendon

You can argue that that power was never given to do this sort of thing but legally the Clubs have no say whether the like it or not and in the RFC's case I'm pretty sure it's not. If they resist playing in an alternative strip the AFL could fine them, deduct match points or whatever for failing to abide by the rules of the AFL.

On one of the TV news tonight they were saying that Essendon fans are angry and mentioned the Bomberblitz website starting a petition. It then went onto say that Bomber CEO - Peter Jackson had written a letter to essendon members on the internet (I assume it's on thier web-site) and he made the point agin that the EFC do not want any alternate jumper but the AFL have said they must submit one and failure to do so would result in "significant penalities and fines".

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Capt. Revenge

• Future Richmond star
  • for i was so much older then.............
« Reply #171 on: April 13, 2006, 09:03:10 PM »
i still say shirts and skins! :D
there is no success like failure and failure is no success at all

Ox

« Reply #172 on: April 13, 2006, 09:22:35 PM »
This is my rough skectch of our alternative guernsey.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Clash strips to be used just twice a season (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #173 on: April 14, 2006, 05:50:08 AM »
Clash strips to be used just twice a season
14 April 2006   
Herald Sun
Jon Pierik

THE AFL yesterday moved to douse hysteria over the jumper issue by declaring clubs may only have to wear the alternative strip once a year.

Clubs are in the process of developing a clash jumper after the AFL told them last year it needed to settle on a design by next year.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said the jumper would have to be worn, at most, twice a year.

"The purpose of this policy is to provide a clear point of difference between the playing uniforms of clubs for the benefit of spectators at the ground, television viewers around Australia and participating players," Demetriou said.

"We estimate a club would wear its clash jumper once or twice per year, depending on how the fixture fell in any particular season.

"There is no intention on our part to adopt a home-and-away uniform policy."

Demetriou's comments came after Essendon chairman Neil McKissock told Collingwood president Eddie McGuire in yesterday's Herald Sun to "pull his head in" as the jumper debate became intensely personal.

McGuire wants the Pies to retain their traditional stripes for clash matches, and has described other clubs, including Essendon, as "gutless and weak" for their stance.

The Magpies, though, are the only club to have submitted a 2007 season clash guernsey to the AFL: white guernseys with black stripes.

The Bombers have looked at four designs, with the final tipped to be predominantly red.

Geelong president Frank Costa joined the debate yesterday, telling McGuire the Pies would have to fall into line with every club.

"He might have to be prepared to modify, in fact he will have to be prepared to modify," Costa said.

"As long as he does that in keeping with the spirit of the jumper, so it doesn't get too far away but it falls into line, it will be fine."

Costa said the issue would prove to be a "storm in a tea cup".

"Eddie has just expressed his point of view a bit more strongly than others but, when it's all settled down, the AFL does have the final say," he said.

"That's why we have a body called the AFL.

"I am sure that the official body is not going to be silly and unreasonable, it's going to be sensible to your members. At the same time it will cover the needs of not having a clash."

Adelaide chief executive Steven Trigg urged the AFL to fight the Magpies.

"It's a test all right because Eddie has drawn a line in the sand and it will need to be confronted head-on," Trigg said. "There is an understanding about the cultural background, the history.

"But there is a commercial reality to what we do that we have all agreed to abide by – bar one."

Richmond president Gary March said the Tigers would reluctantly produce a clash jumper. "It's not the time for clubs to be taking shots at each other," March said.

He said Tigers chief executive Steven Wright would meet AFL general manager Gillon McLachlan next week to discuss the issue.

The Tigers' jumper may clash with those of Essendon and West Coast.

The Pies and Kangaroos clash at Telstra Dome on Monday, with concerns the two striped guernseys clash.

But Kangaroos captain Adam Simpson said yesterday he would have no problem identifying a teammate.

"We've been playing in the same type of jumpers for 100 years so it doesn't worry me if we both wear the same jumpers," Simpson said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,18809718%255E19742,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #174 on: April 14, 2006, 06:07:03 AM »

Don't mind that one Ox.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Clash strips to be used just twice a season (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #175 on: April 14, 2006, 06:14:33 AM »
The Tigers' jumper may clash with those of Essendon and West Coast.

Two games a year at the most although I don't think we should change for relative newbies like West Coast who first wore yellow with blue wings in their first year and should wear at least the old lighter blue guernsey.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #176 on: April 14, 2006, 11:25:19 AM »

Don't mind that one at all Oxman :thumbsup :clapping :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ox

« Reply #177 on: April 14, 2006, 06:27:39 PM »

Only kidding with the tail on the back kiddies. :wallywink

Moi

« Reply #178 on: April 14, 2006, 06:30:24 PM »
I like the name on the back

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #179 on: April 14, 2006, 06:46:27 PM »
I like the name on the back

So do I.

Nice design Ox  :thumbsup. Just needs AFG's logo on the back  ;).