Author Topic: Alternative guernseys  (Read 140386 times)

Ox

Re: Alternative guernseys
« Reply #180 on: April 14, 2006, 08:23:45 PM »

Moi

Ox

« Reply #182 on: April 14, 2006, 08:56:37 PM »
me on the back

. Just needs AFG's logo on the back  ;).

Im an idiot. :wallywink :banghead

This is what i meant to quote moimoi,not your quote.

So MT,got an xample

Moi

« Reply #183 on: April 14, 2006, 09:00:10 PM »
I was a bit confused meself  :rollin
I just chucked in Richo to keep you happy lol

Ox

« Reply #184 on: April 14, 2006, 09:43:35 PM »
 :thumbsup

Moi

« Reply #185 on: April 14, 2006, 09:52:59 PM »
Better send it off to Greg, Ox.
Well done

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rival fans defend jumpers (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #186 on: April 15, 2006, 01:35:49 AM »
Rival fans defend jumpers
15 April 2006   
Herald Sun
Cheryl Critchley

RIVAL Collingwood and Essendon fans will join forces on Anzac Day to fight AFL moves to change their jumpers.

But the way has been left open for a compromise: Collingwood president Eddie McGuire and the AFL yesterday revealed moves to resolve the issue.

Bomber and Magpie fans have started a petition they plan to take to the MCG for the Anzac Day clash. It opposes the AFL's edict that all clubs must design an alternative strip to avoid jumper clashes.

Some Essendon fans are also pushing for an extraordinary general meeting to discuss their club's "defeatist" attitude.

Magpie cheer-squad stalwart Jeff "Joffa" Corfe said Magpie fans were working with www.bomberblitz.com on the petition.

He said fans from both clubs were prepared to march to AFL headquarters if they had to.

"It's a smack in the face of democracy," he said.

Joffa said he and others were happy to join forces with their Essendon enemies: "In all my time in football I've never seen such unification," he said.

Magpie cheer squad and Social Club member Lesley Benham accused the AFL of ramming the change "down our collective black-and-white throats".

Ms Benham said she was prepared to take legal action against the AFL but was waiting to see if there was a compromise. "It's the jumper this time; it will be something else next time," she said.

"You don't touch icons. It dilutes the very essence of what your club is about."

On the matter of alternative strips, the petition states: "We feel this option disrespects the traditions of the game and those who love it."

Mr McGuire, who wished the fans good luck with the petition, said he was "very, very" confident a compromise would be reached.

He was unsurprised fans were acting, given that the guernsey "means everything to us".

Mr McGuire's proposal would exclude clubs that change jumpers for commercial gain from having any say on the issue.

Priority in keeping original strips would go to teams whose jumper designs preceded those of their opponents.

For example, as Collingwood's jumper is older than North Melbourne's, if either had to wear an alternative guernsey it would be the Kangaroos.

"I'm confident we're close to a resolution," he said. "The only reason we have the clash problems is that the VFL/AFL over the years has let clubs wear a jumper that looks like ours."

An AFL spokesman said that, while it had advice it could legally enforce alternative strips, "we're working with the clubs and we expect that we will have this issue with Collingwood resolved".

Internet fan forums show that many Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond fans oppose the change.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,18817731%255E19742,00.html

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Rival fans defend jumpers (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #187 on: April 15, 2006, 01:45:38 AM »
Rival fans defend jumpers
15 April 2006   
Herald Sun
Cheryl Critchley

Internet fan forums show that many Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond fans oppose the change.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,18817731%255E19742,00.html

Damn straight - Thanks for chucking us in Cheryl.

If essenscum refuse to change does that mean every time we play them WE HAVE TO WEAR THE ALTERNATE - eff THAT -

BLACK WITH YELLOW SASH FOREVER - :gotigers
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 09:53:32 PM by CUB »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #188 on: April 15, 2006, 02:08:30 AM »
Mr McGuire's proposal would exclude clubs that change jumpers for commercial gain from having any say on the issue.

"The only reason we have the clash problems is that the VFL/AFL over the years has let clubs wear a jumper that looks like ours."

Can't Eddie talk some crap when it suits the Pies :rollin.

I wonder which club in 2000 inverted the colours of their guernsey to appease their new major sponsor and make it's logo stand out more  :whistle. Wasn't that for commercial gain Eddie?!

And this darker jumper now clashes with far more sides than the old whiter guernsey  ::)

If essenscum refuse to change does that mean every time we play them WE HAVE TO WEAR THE ALTERNATE - eff THAT -

Under Eddie's proposal we will. We entered the VFL 11 years after the original 8 clubs and and we first wore the sash guernsey six years later in 1914. Compare that to Essendon's 1872 beginnings.

Stuff that! I will support what's in the RFC's best interests; not the Pies or Bombers. If alternative strips are going to be enforced then every club should toe the line.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #189 on: April 15, 2006, 02:47:42 AM »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #190 on: April 16, 2006, 09:41:04 PM »
Magpie cheer squad and Social Club member Lesley Benham accused the AFL of ramming the change "down our collective black-and-white throats".

Ms Benham said she was prepared to take legal action against the AFL but was waiting to see if there was a compromise. "It's the jumper this time; it will be something else next time," she said.

"You don't touch icons. It dilutes the very essence of what your club is about."

Let me get this straight (again ::)) at Pie land ........ jumpers are sacred because "It dilutes the very essence of what your club is about"

But....

Moving to the Lexus centre and leaving your "spiritual home" (aka an icon) in this case Victoria Park to rot doesn't "dilute the very essence of what your club is about"

Typical Pie people (whether that's Eddie, his band of merry men and women or silly Joffa) hypocrites :banghead This is why I cannot take their arguements seriously
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #191 on: April 17, 2006, 11:11:59 AM »
I'm talking legally TS. Morally now that's a different question. The RFC and the other 15 clubs as part of being in the AFL must abide by the rules of the AFL created by the AFL. In the mid 80's all the VFL clubs handed over power to the VFL and now AFL commission which included ownership of the logos, emblems and guernseys. You can argue that that power was never given to do this sort of thing but legally the Clubs have no say whether the like it or not and in the RFC's case I'm pretty sure it's not. If they resist playing in an alternative strip the AFL could fine them, deduct match points or whatever for failing to abide by the rules of the AFL. Call it blackmail and/or unjust but that's the reality the clubs are facing. Eddie is fighting tooth and nail to get their old white and black stripes strip accepted as their alternative strip. If the AFL knocks it back then there's nothing he can do. The RFC doesn't have an old strip in the last 90 years to put up to the AFL as an alternative strip. Neither does Essendon.

Let me ask this.  If Richmond, Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon and any other clubs joined forces, how difficult could it be to change the AFL’s mind?

I don’t suppose there would be any fallout whatsoever if clubs like Richmond and Essendon had points deducted or were fined for such a thing?  Wouldn’t it be a political disaster by the AFL?  Surely.

Clubs get hoodwinked into thinking they have no power or say in these matters and this is what ticks me off the most.  The Clubs are the AFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The AFL is not and never will be the star attraction, as long as our clubs exist then the AFL can disappear and no one will care.  The world could even be a better place because of it.  Hopefully clubs are now smarter and won’t eat themselves and each other out of existence.  The AFL is what takes the fun out of football.

As the years go by, Clubs are becoming less and less inclined to go up against the AFL on any matter, even sacred issues like the jumper, and that is a major major concern.

The strength of the AFL is the individuality of its clubs.  If the AFL wants to dictate every major decision to Clubs, and they don’t dispute any of it, then we the fans are the ones who suffer the fallout.  Club executives will just go to some other club or business where they will still get paid.  What do they care?

To them it’s all business, with no emotion attached.  Bzzzzz, wrong.  This is sport and there is emotion attached; there is when it’s Richmond.  And club executives and Directors should learn and understand the culture or go somewhere else to ply their trade.

On other threads people are upset because of what happens with web sites.  Isn’t it all really the same?  Why are people more upset about that than giving up part of our identity, regardless of how many games are involved?

Why will the AFL concede its power and authority on internet issues just because that’s what the fans want?  What do they care, they’re only interested in the amount of money a deal can generate for them.  And the only logical way to explain the AFL’s decision making processes is that what makes sense to us is not what works for the AFL.  Money works for them and any enjoyment the fans receive in return from the AFL’s decisions is purely accidental or incidental.

If Clubs aren’t prepared to fight this issue then what will they fight for?  Here’s a hint – NOTHING.

Clubs have no power or authority to do anything.  The AFL gets what the AFL wants and Clubs just let them have it.  No questions asked.

That's just how the AFL likes it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 11:29:33 AM by Tiger Spirit »
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #192 on: April 17, 2006, 04:22:53 PM »
Let me ask this.  If Richmond, Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon and any other clubs joined forces, how difficult could it be to change the AFL’s mind?

I don’t suppose there would be any fallout whatsoever if clubs like Richmond and Essendon had points deducted or were fined for such a thing?  Wouldn’t it be a political disaster by the AFL?  Surely.

The majority of clubs support the move and the AFL claim the majority of players do too so I can't see the AFL changing its mind although with Andy D who knows. Nothing legally can stop them.

When Carlton copped a $1m fine and lost their draft picks was there any fallout? Yep for Carlton but not for the AFL.

As for joining forces - after listening to Eddie on 3aw today he is again only concerned about what is good the Pies. He suggested all Pie interstate games be played at Carrara as a "favour" to the AFL and the Gold Coast. Sorry TS but past history doesn't make me trust the other big clubs any more than the AFL. What happened with the allocation of recruiting zones and how we got screwed because the other clubs who got the best zones decided to not rotate the zones as was agreed leaves a sour taste.

The Clubs are the AFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not legally. The clubs are part of the AFL and being part of the AFL means you abide by the rules set by the AFL.

I agree TS the AFL sees it all as a business but so do club presidents and boards. It seems some only bleat tradition when it suits them.

To me the name Richmond, our moniker the Tigers, the colours yellow and black and our home base at Punt Road oval are off-limits. They are distinctively RFC. The guernsey has changed over time even if we have only known one jumper. We wore for almost 30 years a different jumper and won 2 VFA flags with it. We joined the VFL with it. For 10 years we removed the sash off the back. Did that make us any less Richmond? IMHO no. It's all part of the history of our Club. That's why I'm not totally against an alternative yellow and black strip for a couple of games a year and for the vast majority of the rest we wear the traditional black with full yellow sash. I'm not saying you or anyone else who is stauntly against a change is wrong TS but that's my opinion. 

On other threads people are upset because of what happens with web sites.  Isn’t it all really the same?  Why are people more upset about that than giving up part of our identity, regardless of how many games are involved?

I get upset over the internet rights because the service provided is crap for a major sporting organisation. Compared to what other leagues and codes around the world offer, the AFL website and what it offers is pathetic. It's unreliable and is designed for the benefit of Telstra; not the clubs nor their members. As far as footy and the RFC goes we're missing out because of a shoddy website. It's a different issue IMO.

The only similarity it would have with the clash strip strip issue is if the alternative guernsey the Club eventually chooses looks crap. This alternative guernsey is an opportunity for the RFC as we have the best colours but we need to get it right.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #193 on: April 17, 2006, 04:47:46 PM »
Watching the Kangaroos v. Collingwood today, and in parts it has been confusing, especially when looking in the background to see if there is a 2-on-1 or 1-on-2 situation ahead. What surprises me the most is that neither team is wearing white shorts.....

One of the things that unbalances this argument is that we always attack this decision from our point of view. The AFL and broadcasters, and rightly so, are also concerned with the 'watchability' of the game for neutrals and non-believers. I could tell you which Richmond player had the ball if you took the player out and I could just see the outline. We know instinctively by the way a player runs, kicking style etc. Yet I have mates up here, some who dont follow footy yet but like the game and some who just follow the Lions who are genuinely confused when we play Essendon because the jumpers clash. I reckon it is the right thing to do and is a small enough price to pay if it is two or three times a year.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #194 on: April 17, 2006, 10:01:25 PM »
The majority of clubs support the move and the AFL claim the majority of players do too so I can't see the AFL changing its mind although with Andy D who knows. Nothing legally can stop them.

For me, the issue is who decides these things and why.  What grips me the most is that everybody seems to be getting a say in this, except Club members.  What I don’t understand is why.

Administrators and players go from club to club and have limited stints in the AFL.  Supporters are generally with the one club for life.  Yet people, who come and go, make decisions to suit themselves, line their pockets, do what’s good for them and then go.  Stuff members/supporters, history and tradition.  We should just accept whatever decision others make on our behalf, because that’s just the way it is?  Well, I don’t accept that.

So pardon me while I continue to rant, until there’s no reason to.

When Carlton copped a $1m fine and lost their draft picks was there any fallout? Yep for Carlton but not for the AFL.

Just because the AFL has the power and authority to punish, doesn’t make them right.  Yet Clubs and their members/supporters are expected to sit back and just take whatever they dish out.  Carlton copped their punishment for rorting the system, but who seems to be doing nearly all of the suffering?  That’s right, the Carlton members and supporters.  Don’t know what happened to those who were responsible for actually rorting the system, but it seems that they simply resigned and hey presto their problem was solved.  Bad luck about Carlton and their supporters though.

If other Clubs were to receive similar punishments, for whatever reason, what good would that do for the health of the competition?  In hindsight, would the AFL equally punish others Clubs for the same thing, seeing how it’s almost crippled Carlton for who knows how long to come?

Regardless, if clubs joined forces on the jumper issue, how stupid would the AFL be if it took points off Ess, Car, Coll and Richmond, all at the same time?  The impact of something like that would be different, compared to only one club receiving penalties.  I just think if the clubs were proactive about this then it wouldn’t need to be enforced by the AFL.  But they obviously don’t care about it and too bad if the members do.

As for joining forces - after listening to Eddie on 3aw today he is again only concerned about what is good the Pies. He suggested all Pie interstate games be played at Carrara as a "favour" to the AFL and the Gold Coast. Sorry TS but past history doesn't make me trust the other big clubs any more than the AFL. What happened with the allocation of recruiting zones and how we got screwed because the other clubs who got the best zones decided to not rotate the zones as was agreed leaves a sour taste.

I understand what you’re saying MT, but good on Ed for pushing his Club.  Wish someone would push ours.  If we had some people with a bit of nous, I’d rather take my chances with other clubs than the AFL, any day.  But to me this is much more far reaching than the issue of an alternative jumper, because it seems that most Clubs don’t care enough about anything any more and have found their place in the scheme of things.  That’s what worries me the most.  The majority of them are just sheep.  There are issues that the AFL needs to be challenged on but hardly any of them ever seem to, that we know about, unless Eddie’s involved. 

Not legally. The clubs are part of the AFL and being part of the AFL means you abide by the rules set by the AFL.

I agree TS the AFL sees it all as a business but so do club presidents and boards. It seems some only bleat tradition when it suits them.

To me the name Richmond, our moniker the Tigers, the colours yellow and black and our home base at Punt Road oval are off-limits. They are distinctively RFC. The guernsey has changed over time even if we have only known one jumper. We wore for almost 30 years a different jumper and won 2 VFA flags with it. We joined the VFL with it. For 10 years we removed the sash off the back. Did that make us any less Richmond? IMHO no. It's all part of the history of our Club. That's why I'm not totally against an alternative yellow and black strip for a couple of games a year and for the vast majority of the rest we wear the traditional black with full yellow sash. I'm not saying you or anyone else who is stauntly against a change is wrong TS but that's my opinion.

All those things are equally important to me as well MT.  But as far as I’m concerned, the jumper is sacred too, because there’s only one jumper Richmond has won 10 premierships in.

And sometimes I’m just really really stubborn. :whistle  I once heard someone say that we don’t have any traditions in this country.  Well, how can we have traditions when we tear them down as soon as someone criticises anything that closely resembles tradition?  We bend over backwards to accommodate and please everybody, new or old, so how can we develop any real traditions that way?  Why don’t we ever stand our ground, instead of needing to copy other countries, codes of football, or whatever, just so we can feel good about ourselves?  This game is unlike any other yet in so many ways we try to make it the same as something else.  None of that has ever made any sense to me.

Anyway, now that I’ve got that out of my system…  Given the AFL’s record with rule changes and so on, I’d be challenging them at any opportunity, but not Clubs; it seems that they couldn’t be bothered, even if they know the AFL is wrong on certain issues.

If the AFL is the Grand Poobah then what meaningful decision are Club Administrators and Boards involved in?  Other than generating money for the AFL, what purpose do they serve?  If they are incapable of making fair and rational decisions for the good of the competition then why have them?  Aren’t they practically redundant?  But seeing as they do exist, what happens to the individual personality and character of a club if administrators are not prepared to challenge the AFL on any important issue, especially to do with their identity?

In any democratic system, people should be allowed to have their say.  If the AFL isn’t prepared to listen to those who care the most then shouldn’t we be worried?  Some of us already are, because this is just one issue clubs seem prepared to fold on, but there will be others too.

I get upset over the internet rights because the service provided is crap for a major sporting organisation. Compared to what other leagues and codes around the world offer, the AFL website and what it offers is pathetic. It's unreliable and is designed for the benefit of Telstra; not the clubs nor their members. As far as footy and the RFC goes we're missing out because of a shoddy website. It's a different issue IMO.

The only similarity it would have with the clash strip strip issue is if the alternative guernsey the Club eventually chooses looks crap. This alternative guernsey is an opportunity for the RFC as we have the best colours but we need to get it right.

The reason I brought it up was because I’m sure the AFL and Clubs would have received heaps of complaints about the service, yet nothing gets done about it.

But if people expect Clubs to adhere to AFL regulations, when it comes to jumpers and so on, then there shouldn’t be any challenge to the AFL on the internet issue either, because they no doubt have a legally binding contract with whatsername.

And as long as whatsername provides that service, then they would be seen to be fulfilling their part of the bargain.  Obviously, the AFL doesn’t really care whether the system is user friendly or not.  And if they have taken it up with whatsername you reckon something might’ve been done about it by now.  But the two parties have what they want so why should either care if the system does or doesn’t work properly?

In the future, if nobody liked a newly designed alternative jumper then what gives anyone the impression that the AFL would listen to people regarding that either, when they don’t listen to them about issues like the internet now?

As far as the AFL’s concerned ‘crowds are up’.  That seems to be their really aggravating response to everything.  And no correspondence will be entered into. :P
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.