Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]  (Read 465554 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]
« Reply #465 on: June 16, 2010, 12:06:04 PM »

Hate to say it but Tambling well he is the only one not performing week after week.

BS

DIMMA IS VERY HAPPY with blingers, its not his fault that at times he is 2 steps ahead of the team as they have to be smarter cos he is just ahead of them always. but blingers is doing very well in his role, he is always going in hard when its his turn to go and dimma loves that

Interestingly, Sunday was the first time I've been disppointed with parts of Richie's game this season and everyone knows I've backed him all year.

Not disputing for a minute about him going in hard at the contest but a couple of times I thought he just didn't chade hard enough coming out of the HF line
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #466 on: June 16, 2010, 12:11:06 PM »
the most disappointing thing was when he went for a run through the center then handballed sidways to a man standing still when he reached the edge of the center square, rather than kick into the forward line. Shows that his problems are all between his ears.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #467 on: June 16, 2010, 12:39:32 PM »
Ge I still chuckle at the comments that wanted to trade him 3 weeks ago..  :lol

C'mon Pope in fairness he was a KPF that had been in the system for ages and ages and showed no signs what so ever of promise.  I mean really how long do we have to wait for superstars to appear, it should be half a season max.  I better put one of these in  ;)

Young Jack has still got a bit of filling out to do in the top half of his body and can only get stronger.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #468 on: June 16, 2010, 12:46:44 PM »
It's interesting that Jack isn't getting that much more of the ball compared to I think last year but his effectiveness in front of the big sticks has skyrocketed.

Disposals    12.3    12.8
Con. Marks   1.2      2.5
Goal avg      1.6      3.8
Accuracy      54%    64%

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #469 on: June 16, 2010, 01:32:24 PM »
Riewoldt gives Tiger fans something to celebrate - at last
JAKE NIALL
June 16, 2010

WHEN Jack Riewoldt booted his 10th goal on Sunday, he turned to face the fans at the Punt Road end and raised his arms.

This moment lasted only a few seconds. The fans, experiencing a rare version of Richmond rapture, doubtless would have liked more face-to-face time with Jack, but he was quickly mobbed by his teammates.

These handful of seconds were heavy with symbolism. Riewoldt had turned to the fans, shared in their celebration fleetingly. But the arrival of his teammates superseded - and killed - any notion that he was new messiah.

Jack Riewoldt is excited after he kicked his 10th goal against West Coast last Sunday. Photo: Getty Images

In Foxtel's telecast of the game, Dwayne Russell called Riewoldt the ''new king at Tigerland''. Damien Hardwick, clearly, didn't want an individual to receive such premature adulation and discouraged Riewoldt from talking to the Foxtel folk, as is customary, out on the ground - a decision for which Hardwick subsequently apologised.

Any player who kicks 10 goals is bound to be talked about. When he does it at a lowly team that is showing signs of life, the fans are bound to become even more excited. The Tigers, doubtless, will sell plenty of Riewoldt-related merchandise in the coming months and years.

Riewoldt's emergence as the latest Richmond idol seems almost pre-destined, when one considers the extraordinary lineage of Tassie Tiger forwards to precede him.

From 1966 until 1977, there was Royce Hart, the greatest centre half-forward of his era, who was recruited from the same Tasmanian club, Clarence, as Riewoldt.

Hart's last season at Punt Road was the first of another Tassie kid who would take big grabs and inspire kids to wear the No. 8 on his back - Michael Roach, also known as ''Disco''.

Roach lasted until 1989, sharing duties for a time with another talented spearhead, Brian Taylor. There was then a brief interregnum of three years.

Then Matthew Richardson, the son of Alan ''Bull'' Richardson and another Tasmanian product, began his unique 17-year relationship with the club.

They might be Richmond's four Rs - Royce, Roach, Richo and now Riewoldt. All of them high-marking forwards. Royce won them flags, Roach kicked a century and played in their last premiership. Richo sustained interest in the club in mostly dark times.

This is the breach into which Riewoldt has leapt. He is fated to be feted as a Richmond forward. The club will have a wonderful marketing tool if it ever plays a home game in Hobart.

The Tigers are aware of the excitement that a player such as Riewoldt can create. Yet, they are also very mindful that he is 21 and that the club will not prosper if he becomes a solitary focus - on and off the field.

''Jack's exciting the fans,'' acknowledged Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale, another former Tasmanian. ''But what's exciting to me is his commitment to the team.''

Gale noted that while Riewoldt had created this excitement among the supporters, ''nothing excites them more than winning'', and to be successful required a team-first ethos. Gale reels off the names of the youngsters with whom Riewoldt shares the stage: Brett Deledio, Trent Cotchin, Dustin Martin. He notes, too, that Riewoldt led the competition in tackles in the forward 50 until last weekend - a rarity for a leading goalkicker.

Riewoldt, thus, will not receive star treatment from the club administration, players and coaches, even if he is bound to be built up to icon stature by supporters.

How will he handle this hype? Greg Miller, director of football when Riewoldt was recruited in the 2006 draft - a decision he credits to the recruiting chief, Francis Jackson - believes that Riewoldt will remain grounded.

''Part of a player's growth is in having to go through it [hype] and come out the other side. It's part of your development,'' said Miller, who describes Riewoldt as a confident and ''effervescent'' young man. ''He'll be fine.''

Miller, who now works part-time with Riewoldt's manager, Ricky Nixon, said Jackson had been so convinced of Riewoldt's worth when he was playing in Tassie that he went to games, not so much to watch Jack, but to check on ''what other clubs were there''.

Jackson, according to Miller, needed to be assured the Tigers wouldn't lose Riewoldt when they traded down the draft order, from No. 8 to 13, in 2006.

''He wouldn't allow me to do the Polak deal unless he was convinced that we would still get Jack.''

So the Tigers got their fourth R. The fans got a reason to be excited.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/riewoldt-gives-tiger-fans-something-to-celebrate--at-last-20100615-yda9.html?rand=1276609720680

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #470 on: June 16, 2010, 01:43:48 PM »
C'mon enough is enough we gotta get rid of this Spud.

How are we supposed to be dark and gloomy with a 21 yo kid dominating games

that is GOLD Chuck!!! :rollin :rollin :rollin :thatsgold :thatsgold :thatsgold

So good that finally we can be tongue in cheek about things like this!

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #471 on: June 16, 2010, 02:08:44 PM »
Jack Riewoldt  :bow :bow :bow.....I haven't been this excited since I was a teenager seeing breasts for the first time.  ;D
Unleash the tornado

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #472 on: June 16, 2010, 02:18:10 PM »

Young Jack has still got a bit of filling out to do in the top half of his body and can only get stronger.

I hope he doesn't fill out too much.

He's already got natural core strength and balance, combined with great timing on the leap. He doesn't need to bulk up because his natural smarts let him outwit opponents in the contest. While not super quick at the moment, it is enough to get him a metre on an opponent if they are not careful.

But if he were to really bulk up and lose his stamina and agility I would be worried that he would become predictable having no option but to initiate contact, and that his work rate and tackling would go down. Also, if he were to work too much on his upper body, I think that there is a risk of becoming top heavy and losing balance.

Either way we have Griffiths who will be the real power forward so I would be happy for the club to realize that Jack doesn't really need to bulk up too much to continue to be a very effective player for a long time.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #473 on: June 16, 2010, 02:18:40 PM »
Jack Riewoldt  :bow :bow :bow.....I haven't been this excited since I was a teenager seeing breasts for the first time.  ;D

patience amigo patience.

i will get excited when i see Griffiths and/or Astbury take off. We all now know Jack has what it takes now but the icing on the cake will be when the other 2 start bagging 5 goals in a game.

Then i will now we have arrived. We dont want another Richo where the goals are left for him to kick.

That being said if Jack keeps this up then next year we can easily add another 10k members purely on the excitement that he would bring.
Much like Cuz.

The Kangas must get so teary when a good year from one bloke can bring that many members into a club..lol.

It will happen make no mistake even if we get the spoon.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Ramps

« Reply #474 on: June 16, 2010, 02:26:34 PM »
I agree with Dan we need to see one of the other blokes performs well - Astbury gave us a glimpse with 3 goals, but I'd like to see Griffiths get some goals and then Id like to see two of the three get multiple goals in the same game.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #475 on: June 16, 2010, 02:29:20 PM »
Jack will see us get a couple more prime time slots next season.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #476 on: June 16, 2010, 03:24:49 PM »
WOW - What a time for the site to go down! I was gunna cum on and explode over Jack.
Those at the game, how good was that atmosphere?, haven't cheered like that for a while.
 :clapping

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #477 on: June 16, 2010, 04:34:25 PM »
WOW - What a time for the site to go down! I was gunna cum on and explode over Jack.
Those at the game, how good was that atmosphere?, haven't cheered like that for a while.
 :clapping

very Richo like behind the goals. I was on the wing but the noise they were making and singing was just like the Richo days
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #478 on: June 16, 2010, 05:07:33 PM »
Does he come of contract with us at the end of the year? if so better secure him right away !!!

P.s how many votes do you reckon he has got for the brownlow :p

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #479 on: June 16, 2010, 05:10:33 PM »
Has he got a nickname?

If he keeps cutting opposition defences to pieces, how about Jack the Ripper?