Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]  (Read 466404 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]
« Reply #4005 on: July 17, 2023, 02:15:28 AM »
Jack had a game high 9 marks (3 contested) and 9 score involvements (third most behind Bolton & Dusty). He's staying in the side with those numbers. Just needs to convert his chances more like most of his teammates over the past two weeks.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4006 on: July 17, 2023, 03:24:26 AM »
Jack had a game high 9 marks (3 contested) and 9 score involvements (third most behind Bolton & Dusty). He's staying in the side with those numbers. Just needs to convert his chances more like most of his teammates over the past two weeks.
He is cooked . Stats don't tell the real story.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4007 on: July 17, 2023, 07:36:13 AM »
He is cooked . Stats don't tell the real story.

He's struggling with long kicking accuracy and distance but otherwise he's playing fine for a bloke at 34 being the solo key forward.

Shame he's been hung out to dry like this. With Lynch missing the rest of the year there's no reason not to try Bradtke for a few games at least.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #4008 on: July 17, 2023, 08:40:57 AM »
Poor bugger is probably only staying on to help us out.

Why not put Bradtke in? Mind you that would put more pressure on our defensive pressure players and forward defence turnovers would probably dip significantly.

If either Gibcus or Lynch were able to play it would have given us more options.

Also Cumberland situation needs reassessment.

Unfortunately it is what it is, Jack is doing the best he can so good on him.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4009 on: July 17, 2023, 08:58:23 AM »
perfect scapaegoat for bad management is Jack is at the moment.

He is doing his job now. Its' not his fault if the idiots above him didnt want to get help in the offseason, or picked the wrong players like bradtke or just refuse to play Cumberland and instead pick other wrong choices.

Bad kicking for goal was his issue yesterday.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #4010 on: July 17, 2023, 02:00:00 PM »
Lynch injury has spoiled what should've a been a cruising testimonial year playing loose or on second and third defenders.  :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4011 on: July 17, 2023, 04:14:36 PM »
Maybe bring in Biggie or Ryan to partner with Jack and Miller. We need arial support froward of the ball.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4012 on: July 18, 2023, 12:05:09 AM »
What no one is talking about: Riewoldt display

Jack Riewoldt ... had [an] influential game ... that will go under the radar.

Riewoldt has had a lean time of it lately, but has been battling away manfully to fill the gaping hole left by the injured Tom Lynch.

He might not have hit the scoreboard as much as he would have liked on Sunday, but the veteran ended the day with a game-best nine marks (three contested), nine score involvements and three tackles (two inside 50).

It was an intriguing battle with Tom Barrass, but Riewoldt would have grabbed the honours for his hard-working display.

- Andrew Slevison

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/07/17/overreactions-positives-negatives-and-undroppables-for-all-18-afl-teams-in-18/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4013 on: July 25, 2023, 10:19:46 PM »
Jack Riewoldt is still undecided when it comes to his future on the field!

WATCH HERE: https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1683790211409489920

* Lynch being out means there's been more workload for Jack than expected. He's also now taking the best defender.

* Had niggles here and there over the last 3 months.

* Original preseason plan after discussions with Dimma was Jack (and Cotch) playing one month on then a week off. However, there's been a necessity for Jack to play every week.

* What happens with Lynch heading into 2024 may be a factor. We were expecting him to return this year, but he's had a couple of setbacks. Do you stay on for six months as a stop gap? Depends if Jack is keeping someone younger out of the team.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #4014 on: July 25, 2023, 10:49:45 PM »
Musn't rate Bradtke then ..... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #4015 on: July 26, 2023, 03:27:24 AM »
I think we could have had a shot at Gunston but that was a sliding doors moment

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4016 on: July 26, 2023, 02:08:53 PM »
‘Interesting time’: Tigers champ Jack Riewoldt still weighing up future as left-field option floated

Ben Cotton
Fox Sports
July 26th, 2023

Richmond champion Jack Riewoldt says he’s still unsure on what his AFL future holds with five rounds remaining in the home and away season, but concedes “I can’t do things that I used to be able to do.”

The three-time premiership Tiger, who turns 35 in October, is out of contract at season’s end and is weighing up retirement or extending his decorated career into an 18th season.

It comes amid a transition period at Punt Road after the club’s golden era, with long-time coach Damien Hardwick resigning mid-season, CEO Brendon Gale’s future believed to be uncertain and triple-premiership skipper Trent Cotchin also considering hanging up the boots.

Speaking on Fox Footy’s AFL 360 on Tuesday night, Riewoldt admitted star forward Tom Lynch missing most of the season through injury has changed his workload and original plans for 2023, also revealing he’s played through niggles.

“I’m still undecided about what it looks like. I think the big thing for me is not having ‘Lynchy’ there has probably changed a little bit of what the workload was going to look like for me,” the 343-gamer said.

“It probably means I’ve been playing on the best defender every week, which I was pencilling in maybe him taking the best defender every week. I can’t do things that I used to be able to do. I’ve been battling along for a little bit with a few niggles here and there probably for the last sort of three months.

“Probably just out of necessity really I’ve been playing every game. Ideally — and I had the conversation at the end of last year with Dimma (Hardwick) — I’d probably be a month on, one week off and Trent (Cothcin) was probably a little bit in the same position.

“I really love the weekend, going in to play footy, travelling into the MCG or travelling wherever, I’ve really enjoyed travelling interstate this year and soaking that up as well.

“There’s a few things that I’ll probably toss up over the next month, I think Trent will probably be in the same boat. It’s an interesting time.”

The Tigers’ season remains very much alive, having gone 6-2 under caretaker coach Andrew McQualter, who’s the favourite to retain the role on a full-time basis in 2024, to sit 10th on the ladder.

With Lynch sidelined, Riewoldt is on track to lead Richmond’s goalkicking for a 12th time in his career, currently with 26 goals from 17 games.

Asked who’ll ultimately make the decision on his future, the three-time Coleman medallist said “there’s a few factors,” but suggested the call was largely in the club’s hands, also floating the possibility of playing half the 2024 season.

“Have you got a ready replacement to come in or are you stopping someone else playing in the team?,” Riewoldt said.

“Clearly another issue for us is that we thought Lynchy would be back playing by now and he’s had a few setbacks there. Where does he sit going into the next season?

“There’s the possibility you could just play half a year to sort of be a stopgap for a point in time. In terms of players being able to go out on their own accord, I think the club has to still have the final call.

“Players go out there and play sometimes when they’re not fully fit, when they shouldn’t be playing, but they just love the absolute battle of it all. No one’s ever bigger than the club.”

Riewoldt admitted he was “a little bit daunted” about the thought of life outside of footy, having been at Richmond since he was 18 years old.

“I’ve played senior footy for 17 years now at Richmond. I’ve held one other job, which was working at Sportsco at Eastlands in Hobart, folding t-shirts,” he said.

“My day is revolved around driving up and down Punt Road and everything is scheduled in that.

“I think there’s a life of an AFL footballer — especially when you’ve been around for over a decade — that you become a bit institutionalised to it.

“So maybe there is a little bit of daunting thoughts about that post the end of your career, but there’s also things you get to go and do you can’t do now while you’re an AFL player.”

Should he call time on his career, Riewoldt is eyeing off the Tigers’ Round 23 clash against North Melbourne at the MCG as his farewell match.

“I’ve looked at it. We play North Round 23, if I was to finish up this year, that would be a game I would probably look at,” he said.

The three-time All-Australian added with a laugh: “I don’t know whether I want to go all the way to Port Adelaide (in Round 24), if this year is my last year, and play my last game of footy.

“But there’s so many factors, we’re right in the hunt of finals again. You might not get a choice where you finish up.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-2023-jack-riewoldt-future-weighing-up-retirement-richmond-tigers-playing-half-the-2024-season-afl-360-latest-news/news-story/4c932b86f273308562b675c3cac5575d

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4017 on: August 07, 2023, 01:43:51 PM »
Jack Riewoldt is poised to win Richmond’s leading goalkicker award for a 12th time.

The triple Tiger premiership star key forward has kicked 30 goals this season with three home-and-away rounds remaining, which is six ahead of Shai Bolton on 24 goals, followed by Dustin Martin, 21 goals.

Matthew Richardson won the Tigers’ leading goalkicker award 13 times throughout his illustrious playing career, while Titus achieved the feat 11 times.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1396878/riewoldt-in-line-for-another-goalkicking-milestone

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4018 on: August 08, 2023, 08:15:34 PM »
Jack Riewoldt speaks on whether he'll play on after this season or not...

WATCH HERE: https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1688855675168870400

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4019 on: August 08, 2023, 09:45:16 PM »
Him and Cotchin have earn’t the right to wait until the last minute. Noone will influence premierships in my lifetime like they have.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.