Author Topic: Ben Griffiths [merged]  (Read 454806 times)

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
Re: Ben Griffiths [merged]
« Reply #3255 on: July 12, 2017, 09:50:01 PM »
The issue is our lack of a key forward and we are relying on a cooked below average player to just make a contest.

For Ben'd health, i hope he is OK!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ben Griffiths set to return in VFL after concussion scares (Age)
« Reply #3256 on: July 13, 2017, 09:11:14 PM »
Richmond's Ben Griffiths set to return in VFL after concussion scares

Scott Spits
The Age
14 July 2017

Richmond are buoyed by the return of high-flying forward Ben Griffiths who is set to play in the VFL this weekend after some serious concussion fears.

Griffiths has been sidelined since April when he was concussed for a second time this year. He was playing his comeback game in the VFL after copping a heavy knock against Collingwood in an AFL match in March.

The 200cm forward has a history of concussions over multiple seasons and there were fears his career could be prematurely ended by the repetitive head knocks.

Richmond football manager Neil Balme admitted the Tigers were worried about the 25-year-old's future due to his history.

"He had had several before and these were a couple quite close together," Balme said.

"We were really quite worried about it, obviously.

"The one - he copped - he suffered in the VFL game looked relatively innocuous; he didn't get a big whack in the head or he didn't land on his head."

Richmond's VFL team play Werribee in Frankston on Saturday.

"He's been training well the last couple of weeks; he's done all the work he has to do. He's cleared, right now, from a concussion point of view," Balme said.

"We're quite confident he'll be fine. He feels good. He feels very confident. He's really looking forward to it.

"You've got to look after the kid, which we've done. But he's now feeling really really positive, really confident. We're confident that he's certainly in a good place to at least test it all out and see how he goes."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/richmonds-ben-griffiths-set-to-return-in-vfl-after-concussion-scares-20170713-gxav3v.html

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3257 on: July 13, 2017, 10:28:32 PM »
He fell on his hip against Collingwood
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #3258 on: July 13, 2017, 11:17:42 PM »
Neither him nor Hamspud wll retire, even though they both clearly should....Richmond - home of the selfish footballer.....
Yeah. I remember when I was a professional athlete on the cusp of making it but decided to quit coz someone on a fanboy forum claimed it was selfish, so I retired.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 03:41:39 AM by one-eyed »

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #3259 on: July 14, 2017, 02:02:40 AM »
Hamspud & Griffiths "on the cusp of making it"....haha stuff...

You totally missed the point.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 03:42:27 AM by one-eyed »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3260 on: July 14, 2017, 03:43:09 AM »
Snip! Leave out the insults, ppl!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond confident Ben Griffiths can overcome concussions (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #3261 on: July 14, 2017, 03:46:00 AM »
Ben Griffiths concussion Richmond Tigers, AFL concussions, VFL Werribee v Richmond

JON RALPH
Herald Sun
14 July 2017[/i]

RICHMOND says it is confident Ben Griffiths can make a full recovery from repeated concussions after passing him fit to take on Werribee on Saturday.

Tigers football boss Neil Balme said the key position tall would play in the VFL this week after 12 weeks out of the game.

He remains Richmond’s missing link this year, the club keen to play a second key forward despite battling valiantly with only Jack Riewoldt and a fleet of smaller players.

The Tigers will put no pressure on Griffiths after a series of concussions that Riewoldt himself described as “scary” early this year.

He hasn’t played senior football since Round 2, concussed in an incident that saw his shoulder hit the ground and yet Griffiths still suffer concussion.

Balme told the Herald Sun Griffiths had passed a battery of concussion tests and undertaken competitive work at training.
Ben Griffiths in the hands of trainers after being concussed in Round 2.

Balme said the Tigers had fingers crossed about Griffiths’ return to senior football after two concussions this year.

“We expect him to play in the VFL this week. He’s pretty bright and upbeat at the minute, he’s really confident of where he is,’’ he said.

“He has done all the neuro psycho testing stuff and they are pretty confident he is in a good position. He has done all the competitive training and he has run pretty hard and worked pretty hard.

“We probably won’t play him a full game but we are confident he will play.”

If Griffiths suffers another serious concussion this year he would seem long odds to play again in 2017, one of a long list of players battling serious concussion issues.

Even Royce Hart at centre half-forward wouldn’t have helped Richmond in last weekend’s massacre against St Kilda.

But as the Tigers prepare for a potential finals campaign they will need a second tall forward for the bailout kick forward and the more pressurised football September provides.

Todd Elton is also back from a month-long shoulder injury but was only a stop-gap solution during his six AFL games early in the year.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/ben-griffiths-returns-to-football-richmond-confident-he-can-overcome-concussions/news-story/2a5c9dad877d20d3fb5d24e3177c02e4

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3262 on: July 15, 2017, 01:10:27 PM »
Forget about concussion. People need to judge him on his footy nothing more nothing less.
In anybodys language his footy has been pee poor. We should not be contemplating playing this bloke again based purely on his performances in games of footy over the 8 yrs we have had him.
And those who think he was going alright this yr if possible he was worse than he has been.

He is a freakin dud or has been and the club and supporters need to wake up to themselves and do something about it it continues to kill us this hanging onto such chronic underperformers.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3263 on: July 15, 2017, 06:48:30 PM »
Do you think it's permissible to play him based purely on the 3 tall set up?

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3264 on: July 15, 2017, 07:17:53 PM »
He hasn't lived up to the hype through injury or other things yet he is the best back up ruckman we have. He also provides structure as a viable target when we kick down the line. I agree that he hasn't performed but we look a better balanced side when he is in it. A good way to start after a long lay off with 2 goals and no concussion.  :clapping :gotigers
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3265 on: July 15, 2017, 08:01:28 PM »
He hasn't lived up to the hype through injury or other things yet he is the best back up ruckman we have. He also provides structure as a viable target when we kick down the line. I agree that he hasn't performed but we look a better balanced side when he is in it. A good way to start after a long lay off with 2 goals and no concussion.  :clapping :gotigers

Looked good today and agree we are better when he is playing as he provides structure.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3266 on: July 15, 2017, 08:10:36 PM »

Looked good today and agree we are better when he is playing as he provides structure.
We all forget pretty quickly, that is all I will say.
He is a hight package and doesn't work anywhere near hard enough. We are on the road to no where if people think we are better with him in the side.
I hope he stays healthy but he is part of the problem.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3267 on: July 15, 2017, 08:20:06 PM »

He is a hight package and doesn't work anywhere near hard enough. We are on the road to no where if people think we are better with him in the side.

We desperately need him in the team as he gives structure. Better player then Elton who provided snippets of this and a player you wanted back in as he provided small amounts of strutted. I agreed with this BTW. We need Griff as he really is the only option we have currently.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3268 on: July 15, 2017, 08:27:42 PM »

We desperately need him in the team as he gives structure. Better player then Elton who provided snippets of this and a player you wanted back in as he provided small amounts of strutted. I agreed with this BTW. We need Griff as he really is the only option we have currently.
Unfortunately they both are not the answer. Comparing garbage with garage isn't going to make any of them not only AFL standard but make us a better side. Just because they are tall doesn't make us a better side with them in it.

What do you think of Moore as a lead up/roaming tallish forward? What is he like when the hall hits the ground?

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3269 on: July 15, 2017, 08:37:43 PM »

Unfortunately they both are not the answer. Comparing garbage with garage isn't going to make any of them not only AFL standard but make us a better side. Just because they are tall doesn't make us a better side with them in it.

What do you think of Moore as a lead up/roaming tallish forward? What is he like when the hall hits the ground?

He performed well in the tall forward second ruck role today. He can take a grab and is good below his knees. The things he does well is run and jump at the footy. Is he ready? Not sure but for me Griff is a better option well at least for the remainder of the year. Moore next year could impact.