Author Topic: Ben Griffiths [merged]  (Read 451334 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ben Griffiths [merged]
« on: November 26, 2009, 06:58:55 PM »
Ben is our boy.

Hellenic Tiger

Re: Pick 19. Ben Griffiths
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 07:00:31 PM »
Welcome aboard Ben. :thumbsup

Ramps

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 07:00:48 PM »
Very happy so far  :clapping

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 07:02:32 PM »
Ben Griffiths

D.O.B:   17-Sep-1991
Club:   Eastern Ranges
State:   VIC
Height:   198cm
Weight:   99kg
Position:   Forward
Key position prospect who is rarely beaten in the air. Quick with clean hands below his knees and is an exceptional long kick for goal. Vic Metro U18 representative in 2009. From Blackburn FC.

Video: http://offseasondraft.championdata.com/afl_off_season_draft/offSeasonDraft/player_profile.jsp?player_id=114442

Offline rufio_1991

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 07:09:34 PM »
anyone have his stats or anything?

Offline rufio_1991

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 07:12:06 PM »
don't worry i just saw the link :)

tony_montana

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 07:33:18 PM »
don't worry i just saw the link :)

The bloke on sen seemed a big wrap for Ben, said if he had of played this season could easily have featured in the top half dozen picks. Makes me feel slightly better bc I haven't been big on picking him up, i really hope i am poven flat out WRONG!

Offline tigertough12

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 08:19:50 PM »
apparently will be the next PLUGGER if he can get on the park  :shh

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 08:32:22 PM »
2009 National Draft - Ben Griffiths (Pick 19)

Ben Griffiths highlights: http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/226072

DOB: 17/09/91
Height: 198.5cm
Weight: 97.6kg
Club: Eastern Ranges, TAC Cup

What the recruiters say:
Ben is a powerful key position forward from the Eastern Ranges TAC club. Ben is an AFL-AIS Academy graduate of 2008 and as an underage player for his TAC club, played 4 games in 2007 and 8 games in 2008. Due to an injury interrupted 2009, Ben managed 10 games for Eastern and 4 games for the Vic Metro side in the NAB U18 National Championships.

Ben went into the U18 Championships with a very limited preparation but performed very well in his 1st game against NSW with 5 goal haul from full forward. In following games he was used higher up the ground at CHF and in the ruck to good effect. In the TAC Cup, Ben had goal hauls of 6 in round 17 against eventual TAC premier the Calder Cannons and in the 1st qualifying final against top side the Geelong Falcons, he had 10 marks and 4 goals in their upset win.

Ben has the speed and size to play as genuine power forward at AFL level. He has the acceleration to break free from opponents as a leading forward but also the size and strength to mark the ball one out in a contested situation. Ben also has great power and depth in his kicking and showed great composure in 2009 to kick long clutch goals. The club is excited about the prospect of developing Ben into a key forward who will demand the footy on the Richmond forward line in years to come.

Ben Griffiths in his own words:

What type of player are you?
A tall key forward, who provides a good option on the lead and good below the knees.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble, and why?
Justin Koschitzke, because I'm big, athletic and try to break the packs similar to the way he breaks them, and I'm a pretty good mark.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
I would say my cleanness below my knees, my kicking, and I'm pretty quick over the ground.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
I really want to improve my endurance and agility for getting through traffic.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
I follow Hawthorn, I came about this because my mum goes for them and so does her whole family.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
Wayne McCraw, ex-Eastern Ranges coach. He showed a lot of faith in me in under-16s when I wasn't sure about whether to play footy or not. He gave me a lot of advice about my game and really helped me develop.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2010/2009NationalDraft/BenGriffiths/tabid/15506/Default.aspx

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 11:05:34 PM »
Griffiths isn't so much a question of ability but whether he can get on the park. If he can overcome his injuries  :pray then we've got a bargain here that fills a massive need. Griffiths, Reiwoldt, Morton with Vickery and Post as third talls is the making of a strong forward line. I guess we think we'll be crap for the next 2 years minimum so we can allow Griffs the time to get his body right.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 11:08:03 PM »
Will need time to condition his body to play as a key forward but, as long as he can remain injury free, he will the full forward we have been crying out for for years to compliment Jack, Mitch and little Rob!

Stripes

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 11:14:56 PM »
Griffiths isn't so much a question of ability but whether he can get on the park. If he can overcome his injuries  :pray then we've got a bargain here that fills a massive need. Griffiths, Reiwoldt, Morton with Vickery and Post as third talls is the making of a strong forward line. I guess we think we'll be crap for the next 2 years minimum so we can allow Griffs the time to get his body right.

hmmmmm? i believe we will win more then 5 and a half matches in 2010.

Question:

i heard it is his Shoulder? he had surgery two days ago? has anyone else heard this?

and obviously, how bad is his injuries?

hopefully he will be fit after Round 11, 2010.

:pray

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 11:15:57 PM »
He's going to be a huge unit this lad.

What are his injuries? and how bad are they?
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 11:29:19 PM »
Injuries have been varied, nothing the same twice I don't think

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 11:59:06 PM »
Just watched the video, geez, great kicking action, great second efforts and below the knees, know's where to lead into open spaces, great mark (contested) and a lovely long kick. WELCOME to Tigerland Ben!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"