Author Topic: Ben Griffiths [merged]  (Read 450481 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Pick 19. Ben Griffiths
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 12:19:08 AM »
Griffiths isn't so much a question of ability but whether he can get on the park. If he can overcome his injuries  :pray then we've got a bargain here that fills a massive need. Griffiths, Reiwoldt, Morton with Vickery and Post as third talls is the making of a strong forward line. I guess we think we'll be crap for the next 2 years minimum so we can allow Griffs the time to get his body right.

hmmmmm? i believe we will win more then 5 and a half matches in 2010.

Question:

i heard it is his Shoulder? he had surgery two days ago? has anyone else heard this?

and obviously, how bad is his injuries?

hopefully he will be fit after Round 11, 2010.

:pray
On Griffiths yep that's what I heard was happening to. He was going in for his shoulder operation two days before the draft. In my mind we'll allow him 2010 to get right rather than rush him to play Richmond seniors next year. IIRC Nick Riewoldt missed a lot of his first year due to injury. In the long run it doesn't matter if he plays much in his first year as long as we allow his body the time and preparation to get right.

On us I can't see us winning too many games than 5.5 next year. We'll have a very young side and list and we'll lack of mature spine until the young talls develop in a few years time. A few injuries over the marathon 22 rounds and we'll struggle. I didn't mean it as a negative as youth is the way we need to go. It's just supporters will need to be patient with this group.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 02:24:51 AM »
Just watched the video, geez, great kicking action, great second efforts and below the knees, know's where to lead into open spaces, great mark (contested) and a lovely long kick. WELCOME to Tigerland Ben!!

which video?

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009, 11:07:29 AM »
Our very own man mountain, awesome.   Injuries aside  :pray  Perfect addition to the forward line.
Lots of people name their swords......

Ramps

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 11:12:28 AM »
Just watched the video, geez, great kicking action, great second efforts and below the knees, know's where to lead into open spaces, great mark (contested) and a lovely long kick. WELCOME to Tigerland Ben!!

which video?

I reckon Ben has the potential to be the best of all the key positions that were available in this draft. Must get his injuries right. A forward line consisting Griffiths Riewoldt and Morton isnt a bad start at all.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 11:00:16 PM »
This is from his schools newsletter -

Congratulations Ben!

Ben Griffiths, Whitefriars 2009 Football Captain, was drafted to the Richmond Football Club with pick No. 19 at the 2009 AFL Draft. During 2009 Ben was selected in the Under 18’s Victorian Metro Team and was a member of the Australian Institute of Sport in 2007-08. He played TAC Cup football at the Eastern Rangers. Ben is a highly talented footballer, who has had some bad luck with injuries, and will no doubt excite the Yellow and Black army for years to come.

Earlier in the year our College Sport Captain, Julian Petracca, sat down with Ben and asked him a few questions about his career and experiences.

What’s some of the experiences and knowledge you have gained from being an elite footballer and a member of the AIS?

I have gained a massive amount of knowledge in the last few years like the right sorts of foods to eat before and after games, the importance of recovery after training and games, and how to set good goals to work towards throughout the year. Probably the greatest experience was the trip to South Africa as part of the AIS squad. It was such a wake up call to see how lucky we are here in Australia to have this quality of life.

Being coached by Michael Voss, Nathan Buckley and Luke Darcy, how did they help you in your football life.?

It made me realise that they are just human beings like us; initially I was a bit star struck, but after getting to know them they became really good mentors to ask them anything about life and what to do on the football field.

Your favourite position and why?

I would have to say full forward because I like the 1 on 1 contests and being the option up forward to kick to.

Your favourite AFL player and why?

Chris Judd, just because of the way in which he goes about everything on and off the field, it is something that I really look up to.

Greatest football memory, whilst playing (can be WFC)?

Representing my country against South Africa as well as the Year 10 grand final against De La Salle.

Some advice you have for young students at WFC and how they go about their sport?

Make the most of playing football at Whitefriars with your mates because there’s nothing like running out on the ground with people you enjoy being around. And also have fun!

Stripes

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2009, 11:45:46 PM »

which video?

At the start of this thread.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2009, 01:55:27 AM »
Still cant get over the size of the boy.....starting to get very excited.
Unleash the tornado

Tigermonk

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2009, 01:58:09 PM »
l like his kicking action. He dont change it no matter what distance from goal.
His a type of player we need badly

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2009, 08:49:01 PM »
At last get our power forward.

:cheers

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2009, 07:29:03 PM »
i've seen articles written on everyone of our draftees except big ben griffiths.  still waiting.  c'mon, journos out there, get to work!!!!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2009, 07:28:44 AM »
Meet him on Tuesday night at Club80

Impressive kid

Wants to start training and is likely to be on the bike next week

Full contact training sometime in the new year
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2009, 08:31:10 AM »
Meet him on Tuesday night at Club80

Impressive kid

Wants to start training and is likely to be on the bike next week

Full contact training sometime in the new year

good to hear.  It was also quite reassuring from the club 80 reports that he in fact didn't have a shoulder reco, rather, just had a clean out.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ben Griffiths [merged]
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2010, 05:40:19 PM »
Griffiths to debut
richmondfc.com.au
Thu 27 May, 2010

Ben Griffiths will make his much-anticipated AFL debut with Richmond in Saturday afternoon’s Round 10 match against Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium.

The 198cm, 97kg, key forward was taken by the Tigers at pick 19 overall in the 2009 National Draft.

Griffiths attracted the attention of Tiger talent scouts while playing for Eastern Ranges in the TAC Cup competition last year, due to his size, agility and accurate long kicking.

His good form with the Eastern Ranges earned him selection in the Vic Metro team at the under-18 national championships, where he impressed with a five-goal display against NSW.

Although he has had an injury-interrupted start to his league football career, the Tigers rate him a special talent, and were keen to provide him with a senior opportunity. 

He becomes the eighth player to make his senior league debut with Richmond in 2010, joining Dustin Martin, Ben Nason, David Astbury, Matt Dea, Troy Taylor, Relton Roberts and Jeromey Webberley.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/95162/default.aspx

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Ben Griffiths to debut (RFC)
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2010, 05:44:24 PM »
Good decision. Wishing him a long and successful career at Richmond.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Ben Griffiths to debut (RFC)
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010, 05:59:20 PM »
Good luck Ben.