Author Topic: Deledio off to GWS in exchange for future first & third round picks [confirmed]  (Read 176053 times)

Dougeytherichmondfan

Think we'll have to update the site banner now, with 2/5s of the players no longer playing for us.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond's list boss Dan Richardson said it was disappointing to lose one of the club's favourite sons, but Deledio's exit paved the way for the Tigers to get former Geelong midfielder Josh Caddy to Punt Road.

"It's a byproduct of free agency," he said.

"He (Deledio) seemed ready for a fresh start and in the end, to get a first- and third-round pick next year was a fair deal.

"We've got to balance between immediate needs for next year and future needs with draft picks coming in for next year as well.

"We were comfortable from the outset of doing a straight swap for Brett if he wanted to go to Geelong.

"That fell through, but through those discussions with Josh (Caddy) and Geelong, it became apparent that Josh had a strong interest in joining us if the opportunity arose."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-20/giants-grab-star-tiger-brett-deledio-in-final-hour

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
I think there's definitely I strong chance Lids will get a premiership medallion before his body finally carks it.

Will always be a tiger.
Unleash the tornado

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Wouldn't mind a letter to the fans from
Lids.

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
I reckon Lids will play a max 12 games next year. Body is stuffed and can't handle a pre-season running workload anymore.  Never the best endurance athlete he will have to play the rest of his career as a stay at home forward which doesn't suit the modern game.

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Lids.

Don't hold your breath unless someone pays him to do it.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Lids.
Should get the guy who wrote Lennon's letter. :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Lids.

So you can whack off over it In tears and smiles ?

Seriously,how old are you
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Lids.

9, does that change anything ? We can still be friends right ?

I'd like a letter explaining why he wanted to leave. Plenty of good players went down with the sinking ship that is Richmond instead of chasing a premiership, wonder why he is different ( likely smarter )

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
Lids.

Well to be fair, we all had the Tyrone trade to five knuckle shuffle over
Lots of people name their swords......

Dougeytherichmondfan

I reckon Lids will play a max 12 games next year. Body is stuffed and can't handle a pre-season running workload anymore.  Never the best endurance athlete he will have to play the rest of his career as a stay at home forward which doesn't suit the modern game.
If he only plays 12 games next year, it won't be because of his injuries.

His achilles has been well rested for over a year. That's been his only serious injury concern throughout his career and it should be fine to go.

I'd expect him to play 15 - 20 games.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Lids.

I'd like a letter explaining why he wanted to leave. Plenty of good players went down with the sinking ship that is Richmond instead of chasing a premiership, wonder why he is different ( likely smarter )
A letter from Lids would only have the usual clichéd crap. "I want to thank the fans" " I have made lifetime friends" " Richmond will always hold a special place in my heart" blah blah blah.

tony_montana

Lids.

A letter from Lids would only have the usual clichéd crap. "I want to thank the fans" " I have made lifetime friends" " Richmond will always hold a special place in my heart" blah blah blah.

"I'm going to miss signing all those autographs"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The simple reason Tigers traded Deledio (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1138 on: October 21, 2016, 05:36:43 PM »
The simple reason Tigers traded Deledio

Herald Sun
21 October 2016

BRETT Deledio had a year left on his Richmond contract but when he asked for a trade the Tigers followed a footy rule that Neil Balme says “hasn’t changed since 1858”.

The new Richmond footy boss today revealed the reason the club let go a dual best-and-fairest winner and one of the Tigers’ ‘big five’ — leaving Alex Rance, Dustin Martin, Jack Riewoldt and Trent Cotchin as the fab four at Punt Rd.

And the reason is comes into sharper focus with Carlton’s refusal to do a deal with Adelaide to allow contracted midfield star Bryce Gibbs to go home to South Australia.

“In some ways you could say, ‘Shouldn’t we have been hard on it and say you’ve got a contract, that’s it, or do we listen to what a player says?” Balme said on SEN.

“One thing in footy that hasn’t changed since 1858 is you’ve got to have guys who really want to play for you.”

Deledio was traded to GWS in the final minutes of the trade period for first and third-round picks in next year’s draft.

Gibbs — who has three years to run on his contract compared to Deledio’s one — will have to make peace with the Blues after they couldn’t make a deal with the Crows.

“To be fair to Brett, he always said he’d be happy for his contract to be his contract, it wouldn’t have been a problem getting him to buy in ... but he said with all these other things going on he’d like to be reinvigorated and he’d like an opportunity somewhere else,” Balme said.

“At first he’d spoken to Geelong, so obviously we spoke to Geelong and for different reasons they weren’t able to do anything ... and then GWS got involved which was out of the blue for us.

“Earlier on we heard the Bulldogs but they claimed they had no interest then all of a sudden they did, which was a bit unusual.

“Then it was up to him to decide, but we had the whip hand in that he was contracted and we were confident that if we were to insist he would have been still a valuable player for us and happy to play. But at the same time we were trying to help him do what he wanted to do.”

The Tigers have another wantaway player in Ben Lennon, who requested a trade to reboot his career but found no suitors in the trade period. He signed a two-year contract at the end of last season.

Balme also said he couldn’t say when Chris Yarran — the Tigers’ star recruit in last year’s trade period — would play again.

“He is training, he’s got a fair bit of work to do, and we’re hopeful that will all work itself out.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/neil-balme-reveals-why-richmond-traded-brett-deledio-to-gws-giants/news-story/c4af5a7ddbfed75603ddd257c6961254

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Good luck to him. Never questioned his endeavor on the field. Off field whatever it's the game that counts.

Hopefully gets his body right and does a Stevie J, plays 20-odd games and kicks 40-odd goals. Fingers crossed he wins a flag even. Next best thing to RFC doing it...