Author Topic: Bad luck Folks  (Read 33193 times)

Jackstar is back again

Re: Bad luck Folks
« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2011, 01:48:10 PM »
he is an ordinary bloke who knows little about anything, thinks he does though.
RFC has been littered with guys like him that have had no idea, thus we cant get out of this rut !

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2011, 01:53:47 PM »
hAve to say this will be a massive test of Jim Stynes presidency..... forget his illness as it shoud be relevant but he just done's tacross as someone who can make tough calls on people

needs to here though

And BTW IMHO Gary Lyon needs to either put up or shut up  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2011, 01:55:59 PM »
Bailey and Melbourne?

the question is, and this is a serious question not a snipe,

is what Melbourne are dishing up under Bailey what you create when your foundation is built on deliberately loosing games?

or..

when people accuse Melbourne of tanking, is it really just a case of a crap coach of a crap team, rather than a team setting out to emulate the Pakistani cricket team?
Just a rumour but word on the Demons' forums is all isn't well behind the scenes within their footy dept. They are pointing the finger at the playing group still being upset at the poor treatment of then captain James MacDonald when he was cut at the end of last year. If there is any disunity behind the scenes it would eventually show onfield.

Our 157 point loss to Geelong in 2007 was the week that Gaspar was told to hang up his boots. May have some creedence.

can tell you the Gaspar episode was a sad period at RFC

What did you make of Bowdens effort in the Geelong game?? ;D

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2011, 01:59:13 PM »
By memory, Joel was seriously injured and should not have played full stop

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2011, 02:01:11 PM »
hAve to say this will be a massive test of Jim Stynes presidency..... forget his illness as it shoud be relevant but he just done's tacross as someone who can make tough calls on people

needs to here though

My thoughts on teams that under acheive and put up lame performances is that changes have to be made.
Stynes shoud force the issue on Monday morning and show the coach and staff the door.
They can still salvage something out of the year, they aint that bad.
Players didnt try one bit yesterday.
Once the players stop trying, just get rid of the coach

10 FLAGS

« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2011, 02:26:08 PM »
Whats Bailey done to you Jacko?

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2011, 03:22:53 PM »
Al, so if I have this right - playing your team out of position is a pure tank versus booking players in for early surgery as it could be deemed player management?
I do not think that there are similar numbers of players booked for early surgery as "player management" today compared to 30 years ago. It is completely different today - for professional reasons and because the draft gives you more to gain by "booking players" into surgery earlier.
The pure tank has many more examples that that Demons game you refer to.
Carlton vs Melbourne at the end of 2008, Richmond vs Hawthorn was as well - that was the single most disgusting game of football I have attended - hawthorn treated it like a praccy match and there was one involving Freo that landed them Haselby.

That is taking the tank to it's lowest common denominator - agreed.

I would still maintain that booking players in for early surgery and coaching the "go through the motions" is a form of at least "giving up" if you don't want to use tanking.

It is still taking a cynical approach in that it is used to leverage draft picks.

It never happened before the draft system so isn't it ultimately trying the achieve the same result?

I'd also add, is it not valid to do in the odd year as an opportunistic measure I.e magpies and hawks?

Compared to:-

A Systematic "tanking" or "giving up" over several year which i have an issue because it defines part of the culture of that era. It will be interesting to see how far the Blues go with this current list.

It did happen before the draft system, granted probably not the extent that it does now. It never was unusual to see senior players get a rest and a number of debutants come in for the last games once a club knew their season was over.

When it's all said and done to rest a player carrying an injury or to send him in for surgery that was planned at the end of the season is the smart thing to, whether you get another reward besides getting this player ready for next year or not.

when you talk about coaching through the motions though. Really, i wouldnt want to be involved with a coach capable of doing that. make selection decisions that have a valid purpose that may decrease your chance of winning, but come match day everyone should be focused on doing all they can to win.

perhaps it's just wishful thinking, but i dont believe that there have been as many incidents of match day coaching to loose as some people believe. I argued this with a mate , an essendon supporter, one night though and he said that when footscray were admitted into the league they had to play and beat essendon, the reigning VFL premiers, to be accepted.

the players supposedly were paid, (or recieved gifts of some sort) to loose, which they did.

Then again it could a story made up by feral essendon supporters to excuse them for loosing to a VFA side. :rollin
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2011, 03:28:59 PM »
Demons Vice-Pres still in a meeting with Jim Stynes - wouldn't give many details about what would be discussed on his way in. More to come.

http://twitter.com/#!/cstanaway

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #113 on: July 31, 2011, 03:45:51 PM »
Bailey and Melbourne?

the question is, and this is a serious question not a snipe,

is what Melbourne are dishing up under Bailey what you create when your foundation is built on deliberately loosing games?

or..

when people accuse Melbourne of tanking, is it really just a case of a crap coach of a crap team, rather than a team setting out to emulate the Pakistani cricket team?
Just a rumour but word on the Demons' forums is all isn't well behind the scenes within their footy dept. They are pointing the finger at the playing group still being upset at the poor treatment of then captain James MacDonald when he was cut at the end of last year. If there is any disunity behind the scenes it would eventually show onfield.

Our 157 point loss to Geelong in 2007 was the week that Gaspar was told to hang up his boots. May have some creedence.

can tell you the Gaspar episode was a sad period at RFC

Was shattered, Gas was my 2nd favourite player ever behind Scotty Turner. I don't know what my obsession is with fullbacks.

Good fullbacks are priceless IMO.

Haven't been close to finding a half decent one since..

Thought Matty Knights departure was also ordinary.
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2011, 03:50:11 PM »

needs to here though

100% agree, re: Lyon.

Lyon reminds me of your stereotypical on and off again local sportsman. Loves the drama that boosts his ego when heaps of people ask for his services, yet never really keen to play anywhere for anyone just loves the constant phone calls from different clubs trying to recruit him. Absolute pigs of the world.

Lyon is one of them, just loves the attention that surrounds him whether it be the footy show, footy confidential or triple m radio people ringing saying "Coach Gary..", media experts saying "Coach Gary..  you're the white knight"

Yet hasn't got the pills to put on the line and have a dip.
Go Tigers!

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #115 on: July 31, 2011, 03:51:08 PM »
Chubba Kellaway was worse

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2011, 03:52:17 PM »
Whats Bailey done to you Jacko?

Nothing.shouldn't have a job come Monday

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2011, 03:55:21 PM »
Put it this way.

Who has more respect in the football world right now, Bailey, or Neil Craig?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #118 on: July 31, 2011, 03:55:26 PM »
he is an ordinary bloke who knows little about anything, thinks he does though.
RFC has been littered with guys like him that have had no idea, thus we cant get out of this rut !

Intrigued about this Schwab bloke, too young to know his involvement at RFC re; Bartlett etc.
Find it hard to believe that a player like Scully hinges on what CEO personal is at the club. Can't be that bad/involved surely?

Seems like a pig of a man from reports.

What did he stuff up at Richmond? The 90s werent as bad as the 00's.
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2011, 03:57:38 PM »
Chubba Kellaway was worse

My memory escapes me I can't really remember the Gasper debacle.. either with Kellaway. Care to shed some light?

Loved A.K aswell.

I remember the Knights fiasco and him being stripped of his captaincy, did he get pushed out?

We need a history book of the eff ups so I can go back over them lol. Would be a thicker book than our success stories over the last 20 years lol

Go Tigers!