Author Topic: Pick 12 - who should we draft?  (Read 87459 times)

Rampstar

Re: Pick 12 - who should we draft?
« Reply #375 on: November 12, 2014, 10:05:51 PM »
I haven't seen hardly any footy this year in terms of potential draftees, Maybe all up about 30 minutes, I hope your right especially if we pick him, I went looking for some footage and found this, to be honest he seems a very good link up player, good hands too but some of the kicking is woeful and I was just a tad concerned. Mind you its only a 2 or 3 minute highlight tape but if that's highights of his kicking then I think its fair enough to question it.

look at this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU8TVMeiX5E

excellent kicking, left, right, stabs, long 65 metre punts, he can do it all

that's a very good package and his kicking is for the most part excellent in this video. the previous video maybe has done the lad an injustice. he has great hands and his also very good linking up ... also pretty good in the first few yards when he takes off. those are very good features. now I can be happy with either Weller or Duggan or Ahern or the big ruckman if he slides.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #376 on: November 12, 2014, 11:15:57 PM »
Yeah Ramps, in the Herald Sun and AFL highlight packages he looks to be a very good kick on both sides.  All reports suggest he is also. Captained St Pats and his tac team so leadership is another strength. 
I think the question marks would be around his inside game.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #377 on: November 13, 2014, 02:10:57 AM »
Lock in Dudley Do-Right Duggan - an FJ Vanilla Slice Special.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #378 on: November 13, 2014, 04:53:59 AM »
From twitter:

Brett Anderson has Gold Coast going for Weller then Cockatoo then Langford at 8 (if Pickett, DeGoey & Laverde are gone before their pick).

Callum Twomey has the Eagles tossing up between Duggan or Weller.

Sam Landsberger says the "Tiges, Eagles and Roos all like Liam Duggan".

Emma Quayle says West Coast, Richmond, Adelaide and maybe Gold Coast too in the mix for Nakia Cockatoo.

Rampstar

« Reply #379 on: November 13, 2014, 09:00:00 AM »

He does look like a very good player in Blaisees video. He isn't vanilla from that video. Runs well, kicks well, great hands and has a few tricks ... remember we only have an average pick so for what we have available to us Duggan, Weller or Ahern seem good to me. We also cannot afford a complete bust. Duggan and Weller look like long term 200 game players to me.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #380 on: November 13, 2014, 11:28:56 AM »
With 2-12 seemingly rather even...

I seems #12 is not a bad position to be in :shh

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #381 on: November 13, 2014, 02:27:36 PM »
Tiges & Roos in the mix for Corey Ellis, a poised midfielder. He can go under the radar but is quality.

https://twitter.com/AFL_CalTwomey

Rampstar

« Reply #382 on: November 13, 2014, 05:45:35 PM »
Tiges & Roos in the mix for Corey Ellis, a poised midfielder. He can go under the radar but is quality.

https://twitter.com/AFL_CalTwomey

Hope not ellis looks slow and in to much of a hurry to get rid of the footy (he looks like he is in a rush to get the footy away when kicking). There are at least 2 or 3 tapes I've seen and its the same in each video. There seem to be much better players at this pick than this player. This player is what you call "Vanilla" straight out of the Francis Jackson playbook and that's what worries me this boy looks like a Conca type (a pick 20 to 30 player).

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #383 on: November 13, 2014, 06:23:40 PM »
If Ellis is seriously in the mix then lock him in - Duggan is at least French vanilla, Ellis is just regular vanilla. The plainer, the better for Francis "Mr. Shrewd" Jackson.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #384 on: November 13, 2014, 07:17:27 PM »
14 days to the draft: Meet Corey Ellis
Callum Twomey 
afl.com.au
November 13, 2014

VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS: http://afl.com.au/video?guid=702079

COREY Ellis' season didn't end the way he hoped, on the sidelines for the Western Jets' finals appearance and the NAB AFL Draft Combine with a stress fracture in his foot.

It left him in a moon boot and will have clubs checking his medical assessment, but the Victorian midfielder did enough through the year to maintain his standing as one of the better prospects.

Ellis had some injuries through the year, too, being hampered at times in the under-18 championships with Vic Metro. But in eight games for the Jets he averaged 22 disposals and five clearances, highlighting his poise in close.

Why they should pick him

Ellis' ball use and decision-making sets him apart. He's in the top echelon for both categories, and he makes use of it in games.

His versatility is also a strength. He can be used off half-back, on a wing, in a midfield role and even closer to goal, where his left-foot disposal is damaging. But wherever he plays, he knows what to do.

Ellis has the knack of reading the play, finding the ball and making quick and correct decisions when it's in his hands. He can't really explain where it comes from, just that he's good at thinking clearly under pressure.

Behind Ellis' quiet personality is also a steely determination to succeed. He knows what he wants, has worked hard to this point to get there, and has the mature head to settle into an AFL club.

The Query

He is perhaps one-paced, but that's not a huge concern. Ellis' foot injury is not ideal, particularly given the proper diagnosis wasn't found until later on, but hopefully it doesn't linger.

Plays like

There's a bit of Dom Tyson to Ellis. He isn't especially fast, but gets around that by being very quick of mind and at getting the ball in his hands.

Draft range

Ellis is a first-round pick in the eyes of most club recruiters, but will most likely fall between picks No.12 and 20.

Bottom line

Ellis is unassuming, but he's courageous at the stoppages, smart when he has the ball and a very damaging kick. He brings players into the game and does everything without looking troubled.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-13/meet-corey-ellis

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #385 on: November 13, 2014, 08:59:22 PM »
stuff it, Div 2 or not, I'd rather Cockatoo or Weller than either of these plodders. I'm on board the Cocky Train* yb&b & dooks! Choo Choo!!! Go Cocky!!!

*only if the Langford, Wright, Ahern, Leverde, Durdin, Garlett, Goddard & De Goey trains have all already left the station.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 10:36:10 PM by Diocletian »

- Thomas Sowell

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #386 on: November 13, 2014, 09:03:18 PM »
I reckon we d value a bit more dash than what he can offer, duggan or Weller from tapes I've seen ...only knock on Weller he looks light , 18 months from a senior body
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #387 on: November 13, 2014, 09:04:52 PM »
Duggan doesn't look all that quick to me.

- Thomas Sowell

the claw

« Reply #388 on: November 13, 2014, 09:05:46 PM »

He does look like a very good player in Blaisees video. He isn't vanilla from that video. Runs well, kicks well, great hands and has a few tricks ... remember we only have an average pick so for what we have available to us Duggan, Weller or Ahern seem good to me. We also cannot afford a complete bust. Duggan and Weller look like long term 200 game players to me.
sorry ramps but pick 12 is not an average pick. its a bloody ripper pick and we need to nail it.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #389 on: November 14, 2014, 01:24:52 AM »
stuff it, Div 2 or not, I'd rather Cockatoo or Weller than either of these plodders. I'm on board the Cocky Train* yb&b & dooks! Choo Choo!!! Go Cocky!!!

*only if the Langford, Wright, Ahern, Leverde, Durdin, Garlett, Goddard & De Goey trains have all already left the station.

When you've booked your tickets on the Cocka Express, no other train matters  :cheers :cheers
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018