Author Topic: Pick 12 - who should we draft?  (Read 86818 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Pick 12 - who should we draft?
« on: September 14, 2014, 01:28:09 PM »
Shifter Sheehan and Wallace just did a top 20 phantom draft on the TAC Cup Future Stars show.

They have Liam Duggan going to us at pick 11.

1. St K - Christian Petracca
2. Melb - Angus Brayshaw
3. GWS - Peter Wright
4. Bris - Patrick McCartin
5. WB - Jake Lever
6. Carl - Jayden Laverde
7. GC - Paul Ahern
8. Coll - Darcy Moore (F/S)
9. Adel - Sam Durdin
10. WCE - Jarrod Pickett
11. Rich - Liam Duggan
12. Freo - Kyle Langford
13. Geel - Caleb Marchbank
14. GC -  Lachie Weller (compo pick)
15. NM - Ed Vickers-Willis
16. Port - Hugh Goddard
17. Haw - Tom Lamb
18. Syd - Issac Heeney (NSW Academy)
19. Ess - Clem Smith
20. GWS - Cory Ellis
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 05:50:06 PM by one-eyed »

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Pick 12 - who should we draft?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 02:53:58 PM »
Who is he, what's his profile?
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 03:32:25 PM »
Who is he, what's his profile?
Highlights Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfNG1QuDlUw

Liam Duggan
Western Jets/Vic Metro
11/12/96
183cm/76kg
Half-back/midfielder
Duggan's weapon is his left-foot disposal: he hits passes over short and long distances and likes having the ball in his hand. Generally that has been off half-back but recently he has moved into an inside midfield role, where he has excelled at TAC Cup level.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-14/top-20-under18-players-to-watch

Liam Duggan
Height: 183cm
Weight: 76kg
Position: Midfielder, Defender​

Before now, I've largely looked at the some of the lesser known players and later round picks but it's time to look a bit closer to the top of the draft. And from a surprisingly talented Western Jets side (you don't say that very often) the best is Liam Duggan. He's had an interesting couple of months in terms of what people are saying about him. From a consensus top 10 pick prior to the Championships, now the likes of Callum Twomey and Jon Anderson haven't included Duggan in their early top 20 lists. So of course, people are jumping on that and proclaiming him to be a second round pick and not as good as first thought. But that doesn't bother me. Duggan was and still is one of the best midfielders in the draft. And yes, he's a midfielder.

Firstly, I think there is come confusion when it comes to the type of player that Duggan is. A lot of the talk around him is about him being a defender, but he is much more than. Yes, in the TAC Cup last year he played across half back. And it's a role he played again for Vic Metro in four of his five games in the U18 Championships this year. But in the TAC Cup this year, he has taken his game to a new level and that's by moving into the midfield - and into a genuine inside midfield role. It's back to the future for Duggan, as midfield is where he made his name in the U16s.

And a possible reason as to why he has dropped off in some people's minds, is because his final two matches in the U18 Championships were not quite as good as his first three - and as they were the televised games, that's what people will remember. But Duggan was consistent through all matches, and was able to show off a number of different skills and attributes. In the opening round, Duggan finished with 17 touches - 11 of which were contested. In Round 3, he finished with a huge 10 tackles. And across all five matches he played, Duggan finished with a disposal efficiency of around 75-80%. His 2014 TAC Cup season has been both consistent and excellent. Playing in the midfield, he has shown a good ability in close and is a better contested player than he gets credit for. Yes, there is still room for improvement and he doesn't compare to the absolute best clearance players in the draft but he can hold his own. The other pleasing aspect of his season to date is with his ability to push forward. And in one game in which Duggan was battling injury, he went forward and kicked 3 goals.

Duggan's disposal is a strength of his, both by foot and hand. He has shown himself to be a good kick over both short and long distance, and it's no surprise that Vic Metro were so keen to have him across half back. I'd rate him in the top handful of players when it comes to foot skills. His tackling pressure is another real positive to his game, whether he's down back or in the midfield he is always on the move and chasing down opponents. All in all, Duggan just does most things well.

In terms of weaknesses, I don't think there are a lot of major ones. You could argue that he is just good, not great in a lot of areas. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. His kicking isn't quite as good under pressure, but that's true of most players. Otherwise, he is a little like Heath Shaw as a defender. He can be shut out of the game when his opponent takes away his space and run, and last year his best performances came when his team was playing well. And that's one reason that I like him more in the midfield, he can work himself into the game and not worry so much about a direct opponent.

Personally, I still have him as one of the better midfielders in the draft and would be comfortable with spending a top 10 pick on Duggan. It seems like more than anything else, it's simply a case of some taller midfielders creating interest as opposed to Duggan falling away. But he is a versatile player, and capable of playing both an uncontested and contested game. He probably wont ever get there strength wise, but his game isn't too unlike that of Jimmy Bartel - Brownlow Medal aside of course.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/young-talent-time-2014.1050546/page-15#post-33957553

Pick 13: Port Adelaide – Liam Duggan

Position: Defender/midfielder
Height: 183 cm, Weight: 76 kg, DOB: 11/12/1996
Club: Western Jets
Projected draft range: 10-25
Player comparison: Steele Sidebottom

A bubbly character off-field, the ‘baby-faced assassin’ is another draft prospect that is gifted in terms of poise, hurt-factor and game-winning attributes. Duggan won the Ben Mitchell medal for this year’s AFL-AIS intake, and has an arsenal of weaponry that far exceeds most in this year’s draft crop. Playing in an array of positions, Duggan offers get-up-and-go from half back, is particularly dangerous around the stoppages and loves to run and carry with his line-breaking speed. The talented left footer has also shown he’s dangerous and effective around goal, kicking three final-quarter goals against the Northern Knights earlier in the year off just four disposals in a come-from-behind win. Duggan’s penetrating kick is his primary asset, but his ability to read the ball well in the air – along with both good vision and speed – suggests his best position will eventually be situated in defence. Despite his slim build, Duggan can win his own ball and tackles strongly. Coupled with his rebounding and attacking style of play complemented by his long left foot, Duggan will be highly rated among recruiters at year’s end.

Player Update: Duggan was named on a wing in the TAC Cup team of the year.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/paige-cardonas-phantom-draft-4-0.1076624/

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 05:56:51 PM »
Thanks OE.. :thumbsup
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 06:37:04 PM »
I think we should trade our first pick for a second rate ruck or a soft outside mid fielder or an injury prone bloke or two from south Australia who can't get a game.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 06:38:19 PM »
I think we should trade our first pick for a second rate ruck or a soft outside mid fielder or bloke or two from south Australia who can't get a game.

Been there, done that.   :'(

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 06:47:54 PM »
Sounds like our man unless the mail on shiel to tigerland is right  :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 07:49:39 PM »
I think we should trade our first pick for a second rate ruck or a soft outside mid fielder or an injury prone bloke or two from south Australia who can't get a game.

Greg Miller is that you?  :dancing

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 08:01:56 PM »
Sounds like our man unless the mail on shiel to tigerland is right  :shh
Would back FJ and Blair to make the right call. They're always nailing these types of picks, star in waiting, don't worry about that  :shh
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 08:13:35 PM »
Hit the nail on the head  :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 08:17:55 PM »
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 08:22:11 PM »
 :shh :shh

the claw

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 08:56:19 PM »
the more i have looked the more im hoping that jayden laverde slips to us. id classify him as a genuine utility, someone who can genuinely play anywhere. but im thinking  he would be  that genuine big bodied mid type  with real skill and nous. for me the game is all about pace athleticism  size and smarts with your early picks in particular.imo he has all these and more.
i usually like pproven players in the role i want them for and as a mid hes a risk but i have little doubt that this part of his game will develop.

if hes not there id like to have a crack at marchbank or lamb and go a mid with our second pick.

the ideal for me would be somehow getting our hands on a pick around 15 and having the best of both worlds. geez a draft that snared laverde and marchbank would have me real happy.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 09:16:16 PM »
the more i have looked the more im hoping that jayden laverde slips to us. id classify him as a genuine utility, someone who can genuinely play anywhere. but im thinking  he would be  that genuine big bodied mid type  with real skill and nous. for me the game is all about pace athleticism  size and smarts with your early picks in particular.imo he has all these and more.
i usually like pproven players in the role i want them for and as a mid hes a risk but i have little doubt that this part of his game will develop.

if hes not there id like to have a crack at marchbank or lamb and go a mid with our second pick.

the ideal for me would be somehow getting our hands on a pick around 15 and having the best of both worlds. geez a draft that snared laverde and marchbank would have me real happy.
the club wants Laverde but he won't be there IMHO claw.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 10:08:18 PM »
I reckon we should go for picket.