Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 288129 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #1695 on: May 10, 2021, 12:17:04 PM »
The free kick differential ladder is out and not surprisingly we are at the bottom with 50 less against than for.  We average 16.13% free kicks a game.  Compared that to Adelaide who get an average of 22.9% a game.  It is sometimes the ones you dont get that cause the issue.

Remaining at the bottom with a huge -50 differential is perennial offenders Richmond who have attracted the least free kicks for (129) and given away the second most (179). They’ve been on the negative side of the free kick ledger in six of their eight games.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/05/09/the-2021-free-kick-ladder-after-round-8/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1696 on: May 10, 2021, 12:29:05 PM »
Cats captain Joel Selwood is clearly in front with 25 frees for, and a positive differential of +14 having given 11 away.

Richmond’s Marlion Pickett (17) on the list of most frees given away. Jake Aarts has 16 frees against.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/05/09/the-2021-free-kick-ladder-after-round-8/

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1697 on: May 10, 2021, 01:23:15 PM »
Aarts on the list for frees against too...presume it's mostly for getting caught with the ball... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1698 on: May 10, 2021, 01:33:44 PM »
No surprise we have the lowest frees for. As we've said, it's the frees we don't get that is the issue  :thumbsdown.

eg: Stewart holding and scragging Dusty off the ball and no free is paid.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1699 on: May 15, 2021, 03:21:30 AM »
St Kilda coach Brett Ratten has called out the umpires after his side's defeat to Geelong, questioning the lack of holding the ball calls in the match.

While the free-kick count was relatively even throughout the contest (13-12 Geelong's way), Ratten was left miffed after his side laid 87 tackles and received just three holding the ball decisions in their favour.

"To think you'd have (87) tackles, I thought we out-tackled them, and you get three free-kicks for the day?" he told reporters.

"I don't know if it's worth tackling, just set up behind the ball and flood back. I don't think we got reward for our effort in the tackling component of the game.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/brett-ratten-questions-umpires-after-st-kilda-loss-to-geelong/0abcc011-da5d-4de4-9add-8a121917d9a0

Asked by a reporter if he was upset by Geelong players seeming to drop or throw the ball at times on Friday night, Ratten responded, “You said it, I didn’t say it.”

“If that’s a handball - jeepers.”

https://twitter.com/merrrnique/status/1393202985203765254

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #1700 on: May 15, 2021, 05:09:44 AM »
No surprise we have the lowest frees for. As we've said, it's the frees we don't get that is the issue  :thumbsdown.

eg: Stewart holding and scragging Dusty off the ball and no free is paid.

I agree, unfortunately in these shots it looks like they are holding each other, maybe Dusty needs to lift his arms up or try some other method?? Gurus comments??

Online Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1701 on: May 15, 2021, 07:18:43 AM »
St Kilda coach Brett Ratten has called out the umpires after his side's defeat to Geelong, questioning the lack of holding the ball calls in the match.

While the free-kick count was relatively even throughout the contest (13-12 Geelong's way), Ratten was left miffed after his side laid 87 tackles and received just three holding the ball decisions in their favour.

"To think you'd have (87) tackles, I thought we out-tackled them, and you get three free-kicks for the day?" he told reporters.

"I don't know if it's worth tackling, just set up behind the ball and flood back. I don't think we got reward for our effort in the tackling component of the game.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/brett-ratten-questions-umpires-after-st-kilda-loss-to-geelong/0abcc011-da5d-4de4-9add-8a121917d9a0

Asked by a reporter if he was upset by Geelong players seeming to drop or throw the ball at times on Friday night, Ratten responded, “You said it, I didn’t say it.”

“If that’s a handball - jeepers.”

https://twitter.com/merrrnique/status/1393202985203765254
Have raised this before, there seems to be two different interpretations of holding the ball, have heard umpires saying a player attempted to dispose of the ball albeit with one hand, while another will just call it incorrect disposal. I think if you don't kick it and you don't handball correctly when tackled with or without prior then its a free.

Have seen us make consecutive tackles where the opposition just drop the ball on each occasion and it's called play on only for them to transition from congestion and score against the run of play. Notice that teams tend to try and knock the ball out of our hands when they tackle us and that seems to be rewarded more often than not.

Like Ratten says there is no point tacking if the tackler isn't rewarded especially if you are committing more than one player to the tackle as you are then outnumbered if the ball finds its way out of congestion.

Given the Cats seem to be the team that throws consistently I wonder if that annoys Hocking to the point where he will suggest a rule change to address an issue seemingly giving one team an advantage over all other teams.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1702 on: May 15, 2021, 09:15:18 AM »

Given the Cats seem to be the team that throws consistently I wonder if that annoys Hocking to the point where he will suggest a rule change to address an issue seemingly giving one team an advantage over all other teams.

Given his recent history around rule changes and which Clubs they clearly impact on I sadly doubt it

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #1703 on: May 15, 2021, 09:17:07 AM »
Like I said. Get rid of prior opportunity and more than half of the umpiring issues are solved.

Player chooses to take possession of the ball and doesn’t get rid of it legally - fee kick.

Easy. Watch footy prior to ‘96, like the Rich v Ess semi final ‘95 or any game in ‘95 you will see less stoppages and more free flowing footy because there was no prior opportunity rule and players were paid free kicks when they tackled someone.

The club that keeps giving.

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #1704 on: May 15, 2021, 09:27:20 AM »
Like I said. Get rid of prior opportunity and more than half of the umpiring issues are solved.

Player chooses to take possession of the ball and doesn’t get rid of it legally - fee kick.

Easy. Watch footy prior to ‘96, like the Rich v Ess semi final ‘95 or any game in ‘95 you will see less stoppages and more free flowing footy because there was no prior opportunity rule and players were paid free kicks when they tackled someone.
I like it Tigeritis!!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1705 on: May 15, 2021, 12:45:36 PM »
Robbo on 3aw just said that during an ad break on AFL360 last Monday night, Hardwick told him the number of throws in the game is getting out of control.

Seems coaches are getting ticked off with Geelong especially throwing the ball and getting away with it. Selwood the chief offender.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1706 on: May 15, 2021, 01:07:49 PM »

I like it Tigeritis!!

If you have time to take more than one step before you're tackled you have time to get rid of it....same if you're spun around even 180 degrees let alone 360...  :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1707 on: May 15, 2021, 08:30:30 PM »
As pathetic as ever tonight

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1708 on: May 15, 2021, 09:32:32 PM »
DeCheat trying to change the momentum we had. Another clueless display of umpiring or blatant cheating.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1709 on: May 15, 2021, 10:19:51 PM »
Robbo on 3aw just said that during an ad break on AFL360 last Monday night, Hardwick told him the number of throws in the game is getting out of control.

Seems coaches are getting ticked off with Geelong especially throwing the ball and getting away with it. Selwood the chief offender.

GWS were throwing it constantly tonight.