Author Topic: Reece Conca [merged]  (Read 428163 times)

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Re: Reece Conca [merged]
« Reply #1320 on: June 07, 2014, 01:59:17 AM »
Guthrie he aint
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1321 on: June 07, 2014, 08:44:32 AM »
Will play 200 games.

the claw

« Reply #1322 on: June 07, 2014, 11:32:02 AM »

hes not a poor player but hes nothing special either.  if we took him at pick 40 i reckon most people would be happy.

While I get the sentiment, you really over estimate the draft. Conca would be a decent pick at 20 let alone 40
wasnt talking about just that draft. and pick 40 was a generalisation if i had said
in any yr if we had picked him up with a  2nd rounder or early  3 rnd pick most people would say yep decent pick we have hopefully found a solid player. ths is where we should be finding players with concas attributes so many similar type mids are taken by other clubs here but top 10 ffs.

the trouble is i dont see one outstanding attribute that will enable him to become a worthy top 10 pick. hes okay in a lot of things and poor in a few others. this is what i meant by vanilla.

a lot of people were saying similar things at the time of the draft. that is why he was was rated late first rounder at best by most. it really has panned out that way as well.
but hey francis had watched him and really liked his attitude such a nice young bloke. ppppffffttt.

Gigantor

« Reply #1323 on: June 07, 2014, 11:37:41 AM »
If I remember correctly most pundits had him going at about pick 15 but we obviously saw it differently.
I guess there was a reason most had him at about pick 15 and not top 10

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1324 on: June 07, 2014, 12:03:26 PM »

hes not a poor player but hes nothing special either.  if we took him at pick 40 i reckon most people would be happy.

While I get the sentiment, you really over estimate the draft. Conca would be a decent pick at 20 let alone 40
wasnt talking about just that draft. and pick 40 was a generalisation if i had said
in any yr if we had picked him up with a  2nd rounder or early  3 rnd pick most people would say yep decent pick we have hopefully found a solid player. ths is where we should be finding players with concas attributes so many similar type mids are taken by other clubs here but top 10 ffs.

the trouble is i dont see one outstanding attribute that will enable him to become a worthy top 10 pick. hes okay in a lot of things and poor in a few others. this is what i meant by vanilla.

a lot of people were saying similar things at the time of the draft. that is why he was was rated late first rounder at best by most. it really has panned out that way as well.
but hey francis had watched him and really liked his attitude such a nice young bloke. ppppffffttt.
The one thing that concerned me at the time was after the draft when FJ said we had seen him play 'live' every game. FJ likes to keep his team small. (3 recruiters at the time, not sure how many scouts) How can a small team focus so hard on one player? No wonder we ended up with complete spuds in the other rounds. They were just stabs in the dark. It really makes sense now how someone can take Batch over Parker when they played for the same team. Didn't go to the games obviously.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1325 on: June 07, 2014, 02:04:48 PM »

The one thing that concerned me at the time was after the draft when FJ said we had seen him play 'live' every game. FJ likes to keep his team small. (3 recruiters at the time, not sure how many scouts) How can a small team focus so hard on one player? No wonder we ended up with complete spuds in the other rounds. They were just stabs in the dark. It really makes sense now how someone can take Batch over Parker when they played for the same team. Didn't go to the games obviously.

Too be fair,  Batchelor did look an astute pick up at first, but I said at the time they were trying to be too clever and ended up being too clever by half. Remember their smugness after it , carrying on like they'd outsmarted everyone and scooped the pool. Remember people laughing at Essendon because we took Helbig from under their noses. Hilarious.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1326 on: June 08, 2014, 03:07:18 AM »

Too be fair,  Batchelor did look an astute pick up at first, but I said at the time they were trying to be too clever and ended up being too clever by half. Remember their smugness after it , carrying on like they'd outsmarted everyone and scooped the pool. Remember people laughing at Essendon because we took Helbig from under their noses. Hilarious.
Batchelor looked good early. So do a lot of our kids until they realise being an RFC player means you can bludge and get paid and no one really gives a stuff. How many of our players look best in their first couple of games.

Parker had top 10 pick written all over him. Won a B&F as a 17yo over the previous years no.1 pick in Scully. The only problem with doing that was everyone over-analyses every time you fart. Missed a huge opportunity.

tony_montana

« Reply #1327 on: June 08, 2014, 10:36:14 AM »

oh wow

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1328 on: June 08, 2014, 10:44:50 AM »
Ouch

Parker hurts

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1329 on: June 21, 2014, 05:34:05 PM »
http://t.co/SOtes5FE0d

This is probably my favorite Conca cuddle

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1330 on: June 21, 2014, 06:15:59 PM »
First game back for injury and will be better for the run

Should be right for 2018 season

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1331 on: July 05, 2014, 07:17:36 PM »
Played a great game today :clapping

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1332 on: July 05, 2014, 07:18:23 PM »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1333 on: July 05, 2014, 07:19:12 PM »
Meh.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1334 on: July 05, 2014, 07:24:21 PM »
One of those days when stats don't tell the true story - thought he was a very good contributor today.