Author Topic: Stopping the boats  (Read 65859 times)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Stopping the boats
« Reply #165 on: June 02, 2013, 12:10:07 PM »
Disgraceful effort and hopefully wont be seen in govt for 20 years or so

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #166 on: July 06, 2013, 04:24:21 AM »

Abbott's turn back the boats policy seems doomed.

:lol

Jakarta spurns Abbott's turn-back-boats plan

Indonesia has delivered a rebuke to Tony Abbott's turn-back-the-boats policy, signing a communique warning against unilateral action.

The communique, signed by Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, reinforces both countries' emphasis on regional solutions to people smuggling.

''They stressed the importance of avoiding unilateral actions which might jeopardise such a comprehensive regional approach and which might cause operational or other difficulties to any party,'' the communique said.

After the leaders met on Friday, Dr Yudhoyono stressed that the asylum seeker issue was not just a problem for Australia.

"Indonesia also receives thousands of boat people … we have to manage this inflow and at the same time, if we are the only ones solving this issue, it will not be fair," he said.

They were the strongest comments yet from the Indonesian President on the subject, and they appear to be aimed at the Australian Opposition Leader, who has said if it wins the coming election the Coalition would have a Jakarta, not Geneva, focus, and that his relationship with the Indonesians meant they would accept his turn-back-the-boats policy.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/jakarta-spurns-abbotts-turnbackboats-plan-20130705-2phlj.html#ixzz2YCGNFluQ

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #167 on: July 06, 2013, 05:28:57 AM »

Worth a read...

We missed the immigration boat once, so now we must be nimble 

by: Tony Burke
July 06, 2013 12:00AM

I SUSPECT there's not a single person in Australia who can walk down the main streets of Campsie or Lakemba and read every sign on the shopfronts. 

The area where I've always lived is the heart of multiculturalism in Australia.

They are communities that work brilliantly in Sydney, made up of people from different cultures where a similar mix has often not worked in other parts of the world.

People often presume in a community like mine that the attitudes towards immigration will be significantly different to those in other parts of Australia.

Nothing could be further from truth. There are many millions of movements in and out of Australia each year through the immigration system. Overwhelmingly, people work within the rules and abide by those rules appropriately.

The frustration often expressed about the actions of people-smugglers in areas in Australia with very little diversity is not much different to what you have in a community of great diversity.

It's true there are many people who are now strong members of my local community who arrived on boats. Some are of Vietnamese background and some have arrived more recently.

But, without exception, the responses I receive are about there being a clear preference for the system to work as it is meant to work. No one has any sympathy for processes that create an incentive for people to risk their lives on the high seas.

That's why - since becoming Immigration Minister this week - I thought it was essential to be completely upfront about what Labor got right and wrong and what the Coalition has got right and wrong in this area of policy.

This is a policy issue that needs to be dealt with professionally and sensibly. That means you can't start a conversation with the political one-liners; it has to start with an honest appraisal.

Despite the claims from the opposition, the softening of John Howard's policies in 2001 began not with Labor but with Howard's government.

The reforms largely credited to Petro Georgiou led to the beginning of the softening of immigration rules and occurred with the support of the Labor Party.

A similar process continued when we came to government and it occurred largely with the support of the Liberal Party.

In 2009 the international situation changed markedly. More people started moving around the world, in particular from Sri Lanka, Afghanistan and Iraq, seeking a new life in other countries.

It was at that point Australia needed to adjust its immigration settings. We didn't and we should have. I was a member of the cabinet and I own that decision as much as anyone else.

Some months later, with Chris Bowen as immigration minister, we put forward an appropriate new response that would have dealt with the challenge that was facing us right then. This was the Malaysia agreement.

I have absolutely no doubt that had that agreement gained bipartisan support from the Coalition, similar to the bipartisan support we had offered Howard with the 2001 reforms, we would not be seeing the challenges in the Indian Ocean that we facing right now.

At that point, the Liberal Party made a decision that was clearly against Australia's national interest. The outcome is plain for all to see and should result in the Liberal Party giving as honest an appraisal of its behaviour as I've given of our failure to act in 2009.

When the debate gets beyond the slogans, it's clear that you can be a strong supporter, as I am, of multicultural Australia and still want to make sure that our immigration system is orderly and the rules are being adhered to.

Perhaps the greatest frustration in an electorate such as mine is when people who do not live in an area of such diversity try to claim that attempts to challenge people-smuggling operations are somehow disrespectful to people from diverse backgrounds.

I'll never forget one day when my electorate office had about 15 people sitting in my conference room in a large circle.

All had received mobile phone calls from relatives at the time a boat was boarded in Indonesia. It was then many weeks later and they had not heard from their relatives again. Australia had no knowledge of what happened to these people and to this day we still don't know.

The cost is real; the loss is real. When we didn't act as quickly as we might have in 2009, we missed an opportunity.

When the Liberal Party teamed up with the Greens to oppose the Malaysia agreement they missed a similar opportunity. The gravity of the loss can be understood only when you sit face-to-face with the relatives of those who will never be seen again.

This policy area is hard. It deserves to be handled by someone who is prepared to be professional, responsible and firm. It also deserves a government willing to constantly adapt in order to anticipate and match the next actions that people-smugglers will engage in.

People-smuggling operators are constantly varying their actions to find new loopholes in the law. In the same way, Australia needs to be nimble and adapt its policy constantly. We've learned that we can't freeze our policy settings in time.

Similarly, it would be grossly naive to simply photocopy the policy settings of the Howard government from 2001 and think they would work in a modern context.

As long as politics and slogans dominate the debate, Australia is at a disadvantage. The modern Australia that I love is the multicultural Australia that has always been my home; it deserves nothing less than a sensible debate based on facts.

We owe it to the strength of a multicultural nation and we owe it to the family members who otherwise face tragedy.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion/we-missed-the-immigration-boat-once-so-now-we-must-be-nimble/story-e6frg6zo-1226675059127

Gigantor

« Reply #168 on: July 10, 2013, 06:24:58 PM »
Me I think this boat issue is really a non issue..it takes way too much media space...the only part of this issue that concerns me is when people lose their lives

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #169 on: July 26, 2013, 10:27:41 AM »

What do people thick of Tony's plan to declare war on asylum seekers?

Tony Abbott's military-led asylum seeker operation won't work

July 26, 2013 - 10:08AM

Jonathan Swan

National political reporter

Tony Abbott's military-led response to combat people smuggling is misguided policy and will change nothing, according to the chief of Australia's defence force under John Howard.

''I can't see it making any difference at all,'' said retired Rear Admiral Chris Barrie when asked on ABC radio about the Opposition Leader's determination to appoint a three star military commander to ''stop the boats''

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/tony-abbotts-militaryled-asylum-seeker-operation-wont-work-20130726-2qo8c.html#ixzz2a6feuQUg

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #170 on: July 26, 2013, 01:08:10 PM »
Let them in FFS

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #171 on: July 26, 2013, 01:33:05 PM »
Let them in FFS

All 15.4 million of them?

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #172 on: July 26, 2013, 01:41:15 PM »
yes

lots of room

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #173 on: July 26, 2013, 01:47:05 PM »

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #174 on: July 31, 2013, 09:45:48 AM »

another Age editorial

This 'no boats' plan has no substance
Date July 26, 2013

For as long as the Coalition has been saying it would "stop the boats" – and that has been a long time – it has been challenged to explain exactly how it would go about doing so. And every time the question has been raised, Coalition leader Tony Abbott and immigration spokesman Scott Morrison have said the strategy of turning asylum-seeker boats away had worked previously, and it would work again. Instead of directly addressing the logistics of turning back boats, the pair would launch into an attack aimed at the Labor government, or talk in loops about "the boats" and "these people". Their policy was a mind-numbing chain of slogans.

Now, however, after Prime Minister Kevin Rudd abruptly unveiled a hardline proposal to permanently resettle in Papua New Guinea every person arriving by boat, the Coalition has been forced to say something more tangible about whatever cunning plan it has in mind. In a dramatic flourish, it unveiled Operation Sovereign Borders, touted as a "military-led response to combat people-smuggling and protect our borders". It is dressed in all the language and theatrics of war, elevating the issue of asylum seekers to nothing short of a "national emergency". Its title conjures visions of noble sacrifice and flag-waving triumphalism, and its message is identical to John Howard's cynical rhetoric of 2001: "We will decide who comes to this country and the circumstances in which they come." Indeed, this quote is recited verbatim in the Coalition's 19-page promotional package. That same pamphlet bears several bright red bar-charts, and at the back is a map of the world emblazoned with slashing red arrows all pointing at Australia in the style of 1950s and '60s propaganda. This country is depicted as some kind of target for invading hordes. It is both laughable and grossly insulting.

Yet this latest offering of Coalition policy on asylum seekers amounts to little more than a reorganisation of the bureaucracy supporting border protection. It might sate the egos of some public servants and old-guard defence personnel who fret about their relevancy but, in itself, it does nothing to snuff out the odious industry of people-smuggling. Nor does it tackle the multiple practical and diplomatic obstacles inherent in a policy of turning boats away.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/comment/the-age-editorial/this-no-boats-plan-has-no-substance-20130726-2qqce.html#ixzz2aZk88x4x

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #175 on: July 31, 2013, 10:57:28 AM »
yes

lots of room

:lol

Not unrealistic

desalination planet plus pipes
Nuke or big solar panel

Make a new city in sand in wa or sa

Russia does it

Another example http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astana

$$ just need vision  8)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #176 on: July 31, 2013, 11:25:14 AM »

Just need a dirty great big fence all the way around to stop the boat people leaving.

:help

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #177 on: July 31, 2013, 12:08:43 PM »
Can ask Israel for help - as they are expert

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #178 on: August 08, 2013, 06:28:43 AM »
Looks like the PNG solution might be working.

:thumbsup

Drop-off in boat arrivals

Date August 8, 2013
Bianca Hall and David Wroe

Tough policies preventing settlement in Australia appear to be deterring asylum seekers, with signs of boat arrivals tapering off and reports of people demanding refunds from people smugglers.

Immigration Minister Tony Burke said on Wednesday that large numbers of asylum seekers who had paid upfront for passage to Australia were demanding their money back from smugglers.

And a senior Defence source said that arrivals appeared to be tapering off since Prime Minister Kevin Rudd announced his hardline solution of sending asylum seekers to Papua New Guinea.

One asylum seeker in Indonesia told Fairfax Media that people smugglers could now find ''hardly any'' people willing to board their boats.

Boat arrivals have been down about a quarter since Mr Rudd announced the PNG plan. But that includes a massive spike in the week after the plan was announced, with about 1250 arrivals in those seven days, including six boats with nearly 500 passengers in one day.

The following week there were fewer than 400 arrivals and in the six days since then there have been about 360 arrivals.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/dropoff-in-boat-arrivals-20130807-2rgur.html#ixzz2bJialIku

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #179 on: August 09, 2013, 08:54:44 AM »

Asylum seekers asking people smugglers for their money back because of PNG policy

By Indonesia correspondent Helen Brown

Asylum seekers in Indonesia have confirmed that some of them are asking people smugglers for their money back because of Australia's new PNG policy.

Australia has signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with Papua New Guinea to send asylum seekers to PNG to be processed and resettled there if they are found to be refugees.

News of the policy has reached Cisaura, in West Java, home to some of the thousands of asylum seekers stuck in Indonesia.

Young Afghan men talk of the change in policy but say they are still considering going by boat after being told by people smuggling agents that their cases will have to be accepted by Australia.

Several Iranians, meantime, are reportedly preparing to return back to their country, not willing to take the risk of ending up in PNG.

Others, however, have simply asked for their money back.

The Australian Government says its harsh new policy is having an impact.

On Tuesday, Immigration Minister Tony Burke watched on as PNG's foreign minister, Rimbink Pato, signed the MOU document at a small ceremony in Port Moresby.

Mr Burke said there could now be no doubt about the legally-binding nature of the agreement between the two countries.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-09/asylum-seekers-smugglers-refunds-png-manus/4875078