Author Topic: Stopping the boats  (Read 65850 times)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Stopping the boats
« Reply #375 on: January 15, 2014, 12:06:25 PM »

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #376 on: February 18, 2014, 02:11:23 PM »

They might have stopped the votes but at what cost.

One person dead, others seriously injured during violent Manus Island clashes

February 18, 2014 - 1:05PM
Sarah Whyte

Serious questions have been raised about Australia’s responsibility to asylum seekers held in offshore detention centres after violent clashes on Manus Island that left one asylum seeker dead, another shot and scores of others severely injured.

Immigration Minister Scott Morrison confirmed 77 asylum seekers had been injured on the second night of violence in a vicious clash between locals and the PNG police on Monday.

Two asylum seekers have been flown to Australia for treatment, one for a fractured skull and another for a gun-shot wound.

Refugee advocates say locals and the PNG police attacked the centre with machetes, knives and other weapons and have again condemned Australia’s treatment of asylum seekers in offshore detention centres – saying Manus Island is dangerous and lawless.

They say Australia has put the lives of people seeking asylum, who have already fled torture, war and gross human rights violations, at extreme risk.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/one-person-dead-others-seriously-injured-during-violent-manus-island-clashes-20140218-32x3k.html#ixzz2tdiH4iBs

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #377 on: February 18, 2014, 02:22:00 PM »
Probably at the cost of saving a thousand people drowning.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #378 on: February 18, 2014, 02:49:37 PM »
I am surprise we are allowed to know this

Thought fascist tony would cover this up

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #379 on: February 18, 2014, 04:36:35 PM »

Do you know what a fascist actually is? (Hint: It's not anyone who is to the right of Bob Brown.)

Abbott's just another common or garden variety neo-conservative who read too much Ayn Rand as a teenager.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #380 on: February 18, 2014, 04:45:41 PM »

Do you know what a fascist actually is? (Hint: It's not anyone who is to the right of Bob Brown.)

Abbott's just another common or garden variety neo-conservative who read too much Ayn Rand as a teenager.

And a bit of George Orwell as well.

:lol

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #381 on: February 18, 2014, 05:12:54 PM »

surely your not suggesting facists are left wing are you?

but i agree, not sure it is where tony comes from on the whole, unlike jack boot johnny . He is definitely is a teabagger though
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #382 on: February 18, 2014, 05:15:29 PM »

surely your not suggesting facists are left wing are you?

but i agree, not sure it is where tony comes from on the whole, unlike jack boot johnny . He is definitely is a teabagger though

I know for a fact that he likes a cup of tea.

:cheers
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 07:57:45 PM by 1965 »

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #383 on: February 18, 2014, 05:18:50 PM »
Ummm, Ok........
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #384 on: March 30, 2014, 07:15:09 AM »

Well I will be damned the bastard has actually fulfilled at least one of his election promises.

No boats in 100 days: Tony Abbott claims victory

March 29, 2014 - 11:59PM

Inga Ting 

After 100 days without the arrival of an asylum seeker boat on Australian shores, the Prime Minister claimed victory on Saturday: He had stopped the boats.

"We can say to all of the people who scoffed, who said … it was just a simple slogan, that it can be done," Tony Abbott said.

But the government's claim of success came after revelations that two Australian employees of security contractor G4S are suspects in the brutal killing of asylum seeker Reza Barati on Manus Island.

The Prime Minister maintained the government's silence on how many boats had been turned back under Operation Sovereign Borders.

Immigration Minister Scott Morrison refused to say whether the government would abide by police requests to extradite two G4S employees, who returned to Australia soon after the incident, to face possible criminal charges in PNG

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/no-boats-in-100-days-tony-abbott-claims-victory-20140329-35pvp.html#ixzz2xNuOhsdZ

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #385 on: March 31, 2014, 11:38:21 AM »
Woah 100 days. Look out.  :lol

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #386 on: March 31, 2014, 01:15:35 PM »
Close thread until Labor get back in

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #387 on: March 31, 2014, 01:54:20 PM »

Would the thread still even be on the database a decade from now?
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #388 on: March 31, 2014, 04:50:22 PM »

Would the thread still even be on the database a decade from now?

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #389 on: April 17, 2014, 05:24:03 PM »

More to come on this.  Navy Captains are being used as scapegoats.

Navy captain stood aside, another punished over Indonesia breaches

April 17, 2014 - 2:40PM

David Wroe

National security correspondent

A Royal Australian Navy captain will lose command of his ship and another will receive administrative punishment over the recent incursions into Indonesian waters during border protection operations.

The Chief of Navy, Vice Admiral Ray Griggs, announced in a statement on Thursday that he was carrying out the sanctions against the ship commanders to uphold the standards of the navy.

Five more captains would be “formally or informally counselled,” the statement said.

While Admiral Griggs accepted the incursions in December and January were not deliberate, they constituted “lapses in professional conduct that required action to be taken”.

“Each of the Commanding Officers conducted these activities with the best of intent. However, I expect nothing but the highest standards of those in command,” Admiral Griggs said.

As a result, Admiral Griggs would “remove one Commanding Officer from his command and another will be administratively sanctioned”, the statement reads.

There were seven navy vessels involved in the six incursions, with more than one ship involved in each breach. The Customs vessel Ocean Protector also breached Indonesian waters.

Fairfax Media understands that at least some of the incursions happened while asylum-seeker boats were being turned back to Indonesia.

A review of the incidents by Defence and Customs found that the breaches – which angered Jakarta – were inadvertent and arose because the ships’ crews did not know where the maritime boundaries lay.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/navy-captain-stood-aside-another-punished-over-indonesia-breaches-20140417-zqvxa.html#ixzz2z7sG0cAA