Author Topic: Coburg news  (Read 73123 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Coburg news
« Reply #135 on: March 01, 2008, 04:42:58 PM »
Thanks for that WAT  :cheers

Obviously a weakened Bendigo line-up but more positive signs from Cogs in his comeback. Hopefully he can step it up and continue to progress well in the Geelong practice match next Friday. I'm hoping Polo and Edwards can come into the seniors too.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Tigermonk

« Reply #136 on: March 01, 2008, 08:12:18 PM »
sounds good to me l like what l read  :clapping
maybe l will eat my words if Rawlings got this side playing well  :bow
glad to see Hartigan playing well l really like him but thats past  :whistle
the better the Coburg team performs & the less injuries its a great stepping stone for our future
welldone to Cogs  :clapping l really thought it had passed him hope his knees hold up

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #137 on: March 02, 2008, 08:43:42 PM »
The Tasmania Football Club have purchased the Coburg Tigers Round 10 Senior home game.  The match will remain on Saturday 14th June.  It will now be played at West Park Oval in Burnie, commencing at 1.00pm.

Link

Out of interest, where was the match originally scheduled for.

- Rhett Bartlett

Rhett,

When the VFL 2008 fixture was first released (approx Dec 07) the game was scheduled at ABD Group Stadium (Coburg City Oval)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #138 on: March 02, 2008, 08:48:47 PM »
sounds good to me l like what l read  :clapping
maybe l will eat my words if Rawlings got this side playing well  :bow
glad to see Hartigan playing well l really like him but thats past  :whistle
the better the Coburg team performs & the less injuries its a great stepping stone for our future
welldone to Cogs  :clapping l really thought it had passed him hope his knees hold up

I reckon Rawlings will surprise a few people. I read on vflfooty.com people bagging him the moment he was appointed but until you see what the results on the field it's hard to judge

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #139 on: March 02, 2008, 10:42:12 PM »
It would be great news if true but where did SEN get the idea that Jack kicked 9 goals  :o for Coburg yesterday ?? 

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418821

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #140 on: March 03, 2008, 09:02:57 AM »
I think Morton might have had 9?

They said about 6 till half time and a few more afterwards.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

richmondrules

« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2008, 11:34:47 AM »
Morton or Jack, either will make me happy.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #142 on: March 03, 2008, 01:53:42 PM »
Some snippets about Coburg in the Bendigo Advertiser

Coach happy,despite belting
Bendigo Advertiser
March 3, 2008

THE Metricon Bendigo Bombers copped a 118-point belting from the Coburg Tigers at the Queen Elizabeth Oval in their first practice match of the year on Saturday.

However, despite the 25.17 (167) to 7.7 (49) scoreline, Bombers’ coach Adrian Hickmott wasn’t overly concerned by the result.

It was a young Bendigo side that took to the field, including a number of players who had earlier played in the reserves, with first-year Essendon draftee Tom Bellchambers the only AFL-listed player lining up for the Bombers.

While the Bombers went with an inexperienced side with just seven players who had previously played at senior VFL level, Coburg had a star-studded line-up.

Among the Coburg side were Richmond-listed players Mark Coughlan, Jarred Oakley-Nicholls, Mitch Morton, Jack Riewoldt, Dean Polo, Chris Hyde, Tristan Cartledge, Luke McGuane and former Bendigo Pioneer Daniel Connors.

The Bombers made a solid start to the game trailing by just 19 points at the first change, before Coburg took control over the final three quarters.

‘‘Coburg had a really good side out there and brought quite a few Richmond players,’’ Hickmott said after what was his first game in charge of the Bombers.

‘‘When we have guys 18 and 19 years-of-age, you don’t expect their bodies to be as strong as blokes who are full-time footballers, and we saw that today.

‘‘I thought we were reasonably competitive in the first quarter.

‘‘We did all the right things . . . we used the ball the way we wanted to and our set ups were reasonably good.

‘‘But we lost our way a bit in the second quarter, and it nearly felt like we had got ahead of ourselves.’’ The Tigers led 13.8 (86) to 4.4 (28) at half-time, before adding another 12.9 to 3.3 in the second half.

‘‘Throughout the game I put some blokes in our backhalf, more so as a teaching tool to see how the guys could carry and run the ball out and hit targets,’’ Hickmott said.

‘‘They struggled at that a little, but I suppose confidence by then was down and the skills and pressure from Coburg was fairly good.

‘‘But overall, it was a great start in terms of understanding for myself as a coach the players who I have got to work with.

‘‘It was the first real good hit-out I have seen of all the list, so from that point of view it was good for me as a coach.’’ Among those to stand out for the Bombers were Jon Coghlan, James Flaherty, Josh Bowe, James Bristow, Rex Taylor and Bellchambers.

http://bendigo.yourguide.com.au/news/sport/general/coach-happydespite-belting/1194092.html

richmondrules

« Reply #143 on: March 04, 2008, 07:18:25 AM »
Does it say something for our developing depth that we can field a team to play in the PSC and win easily against the Swans (yes, I know, practice match, Swans not at full strength) and also field a (star-studded lol) team that can comprehensible demolish the Bendigo bombers as an AFL team playing a VFL team should.

I am not saying we are a strong team yet, since these wins do not mean a hell of a lot, but it does seems the weakest on our list is no where near as weak as it was a few years ago.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #144 on: March 12, 2008, 04:48:26 PM »
Apparently Coburg has brought down a kid from Queensland named Matt Davis. I hope I have his name right. Anyone here know anything about him?

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #145 on: March 12, 2008, 05:04:45 PM »
Apparently Coburg has brought down a kid from Queensland named Matt Davis. I hope I have his name right. Anyone here know anything about him?

Found this little snippit on BF MT, I would imagine this is the boy. . .

1st December 2007, 11:25
Quote from: Snoop Dog
Others in the mix for PSD and rookie draft last year

M.Davis (Mt Gravatt / 187 / 74)

Hard running flanker type from up north who was good at the Champs. I remember his game vs Tas very well where I thought he linked up play very well and used his engine and pace to consistently cause the Tas blokes some headaches. Kicking skills are fine.

and then . . .

Quote from: Doug_Hondo
Has been invited to train with the tiges for a week...

So did Coburg or Richmond really bring him down?  ;)

Source: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9585961&postcount=8
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #146 on: March 12, 2008, 05:10:14 PM »
Cheers tigersalive  ;) :cheers. From what I heard he was underage to be picked up in last year's draft but i could be wrong.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #147 on: March 14, 2008, 01:29:27 PM »
Just to let everyone know the VFL have decided that there will be NO VFL curtain raisers at the MCG in season 2008.. No reason why just that they wont be played

Coburg were due to play Geelong in a curtain raiser to the Richmond -v- Geelong on May 17th. this is not going ahead and the VFL game has been moved to Skilled Stadium.

Pathetic decision IMHO

Well a month is long time in footy......From the VFL website

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-118-0-0-0&sID=60264&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=5186520&sectionID=60264

The VFL advise of the following amendments to the Senior and Reserve Grade fixtures, as documented below:-

Round 7:  The Geelong vs. Coburg Tigers match has been rescheduled from Skilled Stadium to the Melbourne Cricket Ground as an AFL Curtain Raiser.  The match will be played on Saturday 17th May and will commence at 10.40am

:gobdrop

:clapping

;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #148 on: March 14, 2008, 02:40:18 PM »
Just to let everyone know the VFL have decided that there will be NO VFL curtain raisers at the MCG in season 2008.. No reason why just that they wont be played

Coburg were due to play Geelong in a curtain raiser to the Richmond -v- Geelong on May 17th. this is not going ahead and the VFL game has been moved to Skilled Stadium.

Pathetic decision IMHO

Well a month is long time in footy......From the VFL website

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-118-0-0-0&sID=60264&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=5186520&sectionID=60264

The VFL advise of the following amendments to the Senior and Reserve Grade fixtures, as documented below:-

Round 7:  The Geelong vs. Coburg Tigers match has been rescheduled from Skilled Stadium to the Melbourne Cricket Ground as an AFL Curtain Raiser.  The match will be played on Saturday 17th May and will commence at 10.40am

:gobdrop

:clapping

;D
Well at least the right decision was finally made in the end. Too bad it's not our home game. Before the AFL got rid of them I would always get early to the ground to watch the ressies run around.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #149 on: March 14, 2008, 03:34:12 PM »
Well at least the right decision was finally made in the end. Too bad it's not our home game. Before the AFL got rid of them I would always get early to the ground to watch the ressies run around.
Yep, was one of the good points and reasons to get to the ground as early as possible.  Warmed up the vocal chords and you got to see the whole team each week.