Author Topic: 2012 All-Australian side - Congrats to Cotch & Lids  (Read 17075 times)

Hellenic Tiger

Re: All-Australian side - any Tigers?
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2012, 09:34:56 PM »
Jacks no AA currently. The other 3 agree with

I would have a slight doubt on Rance, but not averse to him being an AA on what I've seen this year.
Lids and Cotch should be staple AA for the next 5 years and Jack needs a big second half of the season to be considered, only thing in Jacks favour is he and Buddy as crap as they have played for most of the year thus far, in Jack's case at least no other key forward can be a matchwinner like Jack and the Glenferrie Gazelle.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2012, 04:56:31 PM »
Rohan Connolly on SEN today had 4 Tigers in his All-Australian side so far - Cotch, Rance, Jack and Ivan. IIRC we had the most reps in his AA team which had opposition fans ringing up whinging about.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 12:34:16 PM by one-eyed »

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2012, 04:58:43 PM »
Ie. Jack.

Hes not flying but how many afl kpf are?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2012, 12:35:48 PM »
Ie. Jack.

Hes not flying but how many afl kpf are?
They usually pick the two leading goalkickers at FF and CHF in the AA side. That's why Jack will be included if he stays in the top 2 of the Coleman medal race.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
All-Australian side - The year of playing surprisingly (Age)
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2012, 12:39:24 PM »
The year of playing surprisingly
Rohan Connolly
The Age
June 21, 2012

This year, shock picks in a team of the half-season are inevitable.

Do you agree with Rohan? He'll be live blogging from midday today. Have your say and send him any questions about his new-look best 22.

IT'S been a strange sort of football season. So it probably stands to reason that a mid-year All-Australian team would feature a few names that would have been at long odds to earn a spot only three months ago.

Back then, Lewis Jetta was a Sydney runner best-known for kicking a string of 19 consecutive behinds before he notched his first AFL goal. His teammate, Ted Richards, was viewed as an honest toiler, but hardly a candidate for best key defender in the competition.

Adelaide's Brent Reilly, meanwhile, had endured as many downs as ups in a variety of roles with the Crows, while Fremantle's Michael Johnson was coming off a season best described as ordinary, more uncharitably as a bit of a shocker.

Ivan Maric? He was just a gamble Richmond had taken at the trade table to bolster its ruck stocks. As for Alex Rance, you could have written your own ticket.

But form can turn quickly for those prepared to work hard enough and that quartet have thoroughly earned a spot in the half-season team of the year.

This is far from your typical AFL ''best of'' line-up. For a start, there's no Chris Judd. No Matthew Scarlett. In fact, only one Geelong player at all, skipper Joel Selwood, and in truth I only just managed to squeeze him in narrowly ahead of his captaincy counterpart at the Western Bulldogs, Matthew Boyd.

The Cats' senior crew this year haven't had the same consistency as usual, either in form or durability. So which teams provide the bulk of the selections?

I've got four players each from Adelaide, which won't surprise given the Crows' position on the ladder, and four from Richmond, which probably will raise some eyebrows, particularly given ladder leader West Coast has just one.

That's one more than six clubs, though, among them Carlton, whose best players have struggled or been injured, and a handful of others all had players with some sort of claim.

Before the catcalls start, here's the rationale. Eagles' skipper Darren Glass is, I think, a lock-in at full-back. But one of West Coast's biggest calling cards these days is its depth and evenness across its best 22, the lack of obvious standouts in individual terms more a tribute than an insult.

If you want a historical analogy, try Hawthorn in 1991, the Hawks that year landing a premiership without a single All-Australian representative. This is a selection about individual, not team success.

As for the Tigers, well, just because you're only 10th on the ladder, doesn't mean you haven't had some star performers.

Maric edges out Dean Cox for a ruck berth on his presence all over the ground, and on numbers. The man with the game's most unfashionable haircut wins more hit-outs than all his ruck peers, more possessions, and lays more tackles. His clearance numbers aren't shabby, either.

Trent Cotchin has been a standout, running second in The Age Player of the Year award to Essendon skipper Jobe Watson and, in this side, slots comfortably alongside the Bomber on a wing. Rance has been a revelation in defence, ranking highly for both intercept possessions and rebounds.

Up forward, Jack Riewoldt gets the nod at full-forward, Hawthorn superstar Lance Franklin alongside him in one pocket, the other occupied by another ''bolter'' in Taylor Walker, the precocious young Crow second only to Franklin on goals-per-game average. That's three of the AFL's top four goalkickers, the other, Nick Riewoldt, at centre-half-forward.

Collingwood's midfield class is underlined by the inclusion of three of its runners, the seamless Scott Pendlebury, Dane Swan, prolific as ever, and a young gun who just keeps getting better, Steele Sidebottom.

Sydney pair Jetta and Richards are both great stories. Jetta has become one of the most damaging runners in the competition and, with 27 goals, damaging on the scoreboard to boot.

Richards has taken his game to another level, in the top two for intercept possessions and marks, and the AFL's leading spoiler.

Like a few in this side, they're not the first names you think of when it comes to teams of the year, but then 2012, as we've already discovered, is a season full of surprises, and this compilation demonstrates that perfectly.

ROHAN CONNOLLY’S MID-SEASON ALL-AUSTRALIAN TEAM

B: Alex Rance (Rich), Darren Glass (WC), Michael Johnson (Frem)

HB: Brent Reilly (Adel), Ted Richards (Syd), Bob Murphy (WB)

C: Brent Stanton (Ess), Jobe Watson (Ess), Trent Cotchin (Rich)

HF: Lewis Jetta (Syd), Nick Riewoldt (StK), Steele Sidebottom (Coll)

F: Taylor Walker (Adel), Jack Riewoldt (Rich), Lance Franklin (Haw)

Foll: Ivan Maric (Rich), Scott Pendlebury (Coll), Gary Ablett (GC)

Inter: Scott Thompson (Adel), Joel Selwood (Geel), Patrick Dangerfield (Adel), Dane Swan (Coll)

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-year-of-playing-surprisingly-20120620-20ojt.html#ixzz1yOKfEP2F

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2012, 12:54:01 PM »
Stanton. Gun.

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2012, 05:38:03 PM »
lids short end of the stick
poor bloke what more does he have
to do...

gerkin greg

« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2012, 11:27:02 AM »
Honestly, WGAF?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2012, 12:13:55 PM »
Honestly, WGAF?

I agree with you gerks

OMG  :gobdrop :gobdrop see it can happen  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2012, 09:38:35 PM »
Honestly, WGAF?

I agree with you gerks

You agree with Gerks?

Honestly, WGAF?

gerkin greg

« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2012, 10:51:26 PM »
Honestly, WGAF?

I agree with you gerks

Cheeky boss

the claw

« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2012, 02:07:18 PM »
instead of sit on the fence and moan about who was or who wasnt picked im gunna do a side.   i have one tiger player out of left field im tempted to put in.. small/med defender. to me the best shut down sml/med defender this yr has been morris, he has done a job on every small forward this yr for us and what was an area we got toweeled up in is now well under control.

b/ lake - glass - waters.  havent been beaten all yr.
hb/ birchall - richards/taylor - goddard/morris.  went with goddard and birchall for their run and ball use, richards because the primary role is not get beaten.
c/ swan - watson - pendulbury.   speaks for itself. statistically swan would only be behind ablett and thompson.
hf/ sidebottom - franklin - lewis - jetta.    franklin and lewis jetta pick themselves as the best tall and best small forward. sidebottom because hes had a great yr and can play mid/forward.
f/ dangerfield - walker - riewoldt/riewoldt. walker is the second best performed kpf and had to be picked. chose our jcak as the third because of goals kicked. dangerfield see sidebottom.
r/ cox - thompson - ablett.  these three speak for themselves.
int/ maric/jacobs - deledio - cotchin - kennedy. chose three tigers here but geez there was some competition for spots on the interchange.
chose ivan over jacobs because hes been better imo. deledio cotchin and kennedy are deserving inclusions. stanton was very stiff to miss.

think its a good positional team ie players have basically performed those roles and have performed consistently well. dont claim to be right have probably got plenty wrong as i dont see every player play very often outside of our tigers.

tony_montana

« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2012, 02:15:53 PM »
 :lol  claw, you have a laugh at supporters putting in up to 5 tigers in the AA side and then what do you go and do? See its not that far fetched, several are definitely in contention

the claw

« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2012, 09:10:38 PM »
:lol  claw, you have a laugh at supporters putting in up to 5 tigers in the AA side and then what do you go and do? See its not that far fetched, several are definitely in contention
the 4 i mentioned excluding morris (as  i dont see him getting selected usually they are made to have two or 3 good seasons to earn it ) . are all real chances to make it. thing is they have real competitions for their roles and could miss out and we have no representative.
i admit for once when doing the team i put the yellow and black glasses on.

other tigers who are statistically up there are tuck and grigg. i think we all agree 5 or 6 of our mids have been pretty good and pretty  consistent most of the yr.
im loath to give jack a game because quite frankly despite getting on the score sheet the rest of his game has been poor for too many games. thing is hes the second leading goal kicker your forwards are there to kick goals.
i named 7 mids in the starting 18 and i dont think any of them can really be contested  if they arent starting 18 they certainly are best 22.

from what i can put together again without having seen too much of a lot of players  all of the following should be lock ins. 
ad/ thomson, dangerfield, walker,
coll/ swan, pendulbury, sidebottom,
ess/ watson
gc/ ablett
haw/ franklin
syd/ richards, lewis jetta.
wce/ glass, waters cox.

thats 14 players it leaves 8 spots wide open. of which 4 of our boys are in contention for.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2012, 10:35:11 PM »
SEN this arvo on the run home did their midseason All-Australian team. They just had one Tiger - Ivan No.1 ruck; two if you count Cotch who was listed as an emergency...

B: Robert Murphy, Darren Glass, Grant Birchall

HB: Beau Waters, Brian Lake, Corey Enright

C: Scott Thompson (Adel), Dane Swan, Jobe Watson

HF: Steele Sidebottom, Travis Cloke, Steve Johnson

F: Dean Cox, Lance Franklin, Cyril Rioli

R: Ivan Maric, Scott Pendlebury, Gary Ablett (capt)

INT: Brent Stanton, Josh Kennedy (Syd), Jimmy Bartel, Joel Selwood

EMG: Jordan Lewis, Trent Cotchin, Lenny Hayes

Apologies to Lewis Jetta, Rory Sloane and Ted Richards.

http://www.facebook.com/1116SEN/posts/482763285074158