Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 903319 times)

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #6405 on: August 21, 2023, 12:50:47 PM »
Dusty is going - you heard it here first
Only if we net pick 4 or 2 x youngsters.  Happy to pay half his salary for a year. 
Yes he is 32, but what a marketing bonanza for the GC suns, worth way more than just his playing ability which he is still our best player. 
I still can't see him going to be honest.
Would want at least a first and second round pick

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6406 on: August 21, 2023, 01:27:41 PM »
Dusty is going - you heard it here first

And so it begins ::)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6407 on: August 21, 2023, 01:40:26 PM »
Predictions on how big this thread will get by the start of trade period?

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #6408 on: August 21, 2023, 01:52:22 PM »
Dusty gone for 3 x 1st rounders. I honestly wouldn't accept anything less.
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #6409 on: August 21, 2023, 01:53:47 PM »
Media and people forget that Dusty is owed 1.5m next year. Nobody will take that on for his age and his injury risk.

Ralph Carr will never accept that 1.5m to spread over 2 years like what Bowes did to get to Geelong. He may go free agency at the end of next season but you can bank on Dusty being here next year.
Go Tigers!

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6410 on: August 21, 2023, 02:02:12 PM »
Media and people forget that Dusty is owed 1.5m next year. Nobody will take that on for his age and his injury risk.

Ralph Carr will never accept that 1.5m to spread over 2 years like what Bowes did to get to Geelong. He may go free agency at the end of next season but you can bank on Dusty being here next year.

Would anyone do that on those numbers? Virtually the same cash for an extra year of work. Maybe the greeny's would if they actually worked :shh

If i was his manager and im biased, i would say stay on for a year to your 300th, and then see out your days up there.

I would hate to now have to deal when we stuffed up the last 3 years and have no picks left.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6411 on: August 21, 2023, 04:13:51 PM »
RICHMOND NOT LOOKING TO TRADE MARTIN; HARDWICK AND SUNS NOT IN PURSUIT

Andrew Slevison
SEN
21 August 2023

Dustin Martin is highly unlikely to be leaving Richmond anytime soon.

The Richmond champion is again being linked with a move to the Gold Coast Suns after it became apparent that Damien Hardwick would be taking the job there.

Speculation continues to swirl around the Brownlow Medallist and three-time Norm Smith Medallist who remains contracted with the Tigers for 2024. That talk has only intensified following the retirements of Martin’s close mates Trent Cotchin and Jack Riewoldt.

However, SEN’s Tom Morris is eager to put a halt to any Martin departure gossip, insisting that neither the Hardwick or the Suns are in pursuit of the 32-year-old.

He also made it clear that the Tigers have no intention of trading the club’s greatest modern day player.

“I want to halt the Dustin Martin to Gold Coast discussions,” Morris said on SEN Breakfast.

“This is where things are at - Firstly, Damien Hardwick is not pushing for Dustin Martin and will not push for him.

“He wants to come in, have a look at the list, and certainly does not want to impact the club’s ability to bring in their three gun academy prospects - Jed Walter, Ethan Read and Jake Rogers.

“Secondly, there are conflicting reports, but I’m reliably told Dusty is due to make somewhere between $1.4 and $1.5 million next year.

“The Suns can’t afford that and will not jeopardise their list strategy so soon after re-balancing their books in order to fit in a player who will turn 33 next June.

“Thirdly, (CEO) Brendon Gale is on the record saying Richmond won’t trade him. Sometimes public statements differ from private chats. But this doesn’t. What Gale said is consistent behind closed doors too.

“The Tigers do not want to rebuild in the traditional sense and don’t see a world where they would trade Dustin, and certainly not a world where they would pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for him to play elsewhere.

“Strange things can happen in the trade period. But just short of guaranteeing anything, I am willing to declare this morning that I don’t think Martin will be at Gold Coast in 2024.

“People are putting two and two together but not fully understanding of the actual situation behind the scenes.”

Morris added that the conversation could perhaps be different once Martin comes out of contract.

“This is not to say it won’t happen at the end of next year when he’s a free agent and the deal could take place,” he said further.

“But he will be 33 by then, so it’s just too complicated right now.

“In 2025? Maybe. But not next year unless Hardwick and Richmond have a huge change of heart.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/08/21/richmond-not-looking-to-trade-martin-hardwick-and-suns-not-in-pursuit/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6412 on: August 22, 2023, 03:28:39 PM »
The big problem in potential Dusty-Dimma reunion … and the perfect timing solution

Catherine Healey
Fox Sports
August 22nd, 2023

A possible Dusty-Dimma reunion on the Gold Coast has already hit a hurdle with the Suns reportedly unable to fit with star Tiger into their salary cap next season, Fox Footy’s Jon Ralph says.

Dustin Martin’s potential move north to “escape the Melbourne fishbowl” was one of the biggest topics after Damien Hardwick was officially confirmed as the Suns’ new coach, signing a six-year deal on Monday.

But Ralph says even if Martin wanted to move, he’d likely have to salary sacrifice to get there for 2024.

“The big question is if he does the Al Pacino from Any Given Sunday – he jumps ship and he says I’m going to the expansion club and I’m taking the star quarterback,” he said On the Couch.

“I can tell you Dustin Martin is absolutely considering his future. He’s open to all things.

“He’s told multiple confidants he is excited by the idea of exploring maybe a move to the Gold Coast – a challenge anyway away from the Melbourne fishbowl.

“The idea of 300 games at Richmond and fulfilling that long-term deal, every year of it like Lance Franklin, appeals to him. He’s working through all those things.

“His manager Ralph Carr tells Fox Footy that decision will come pretty quickly after Round 24. They’ll sit down and have a discussion.

“By the end of the next year they’ll have significant cap space. They haven’t got it right now.

“I think the Tigers would have to kick in (for a Suns contract next season) – which they won’t, or Dustin might have to take a bit of a pay cut – which he won’t.”

Ralph said while Martin wants to play “late into his 30s”, Nathan Buckley believes the three-time Norm Smith medallist should see out his Tigers deal first and then make the move in another year.

“It will be better for Damien Hardwick to set himself up at the Gold Coast without feeling like he needs to drag someone up from Victoria,” he said.

Hardwick said he was comfortable with the talent on the Suns’ list when asked about a potential Martin bid on AFL 360.

“He’s a pretty good player isn’t he?” he replied to host Gerard Whateley’s question.

“He’s certainly contacted at Richmond.

“What I will say is I’ve done my due diligence on this footy club – we’ve got some incredible players here and some incredible young talent coming through.

“I’m really happy with the list we’ve got.

“There’s list management decisions that happen from time to time that we’ll work our way through. We’ll assess the talent as we go.”

Fox Footy’s Jonathan Brown said he can’t see the Martin move happening – especially given the Suns’ draft hand and what they need to secure their top-line Academy talent.

“I don’t know how Richmond would allow it to happen and how the AFL would sell it to the rest of the competition that they are not paying him any extra money over the cap,” he said.

“(And) I’m not sure the Gold Coast has the draft capital – they’ve put that aside for the gun Academy players that are coming through.”

Martin still has one-year to run on his big money deal at the Tigers.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/the-big-problem-in-potential-dustydimma-reunion-and-the-perfect-timing-solution/news-story/b1eec2400900d87644725cb65d49d90a

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6413 on: August 22, 2023, 10:21:49 PM »
Dusty is one of the three nominees for Goal of the Week.

Vote here: https://www.afl.com.au/goal-of-the-year

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6414 on: August 23, 2023, 11:32:28 PM »
Question for stats guys…

When was the last time Dusty played without Cotchin or Jack in the team?

I don’t know but I reckon this week will be the first time in his career.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6416 on: August 24, 2023, 05:51:58 AM »
Question for stats guys…

Last time was Round 13, 2019 vs Adelaide.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2019/011420190613.html#p1

Also occurred that year in Rounds 5, 7, 8, 9 and the Dreamtime game (Round 10). Cotch & Jack missed most of the first half of the season in 2019.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6417 on: August 24, 2023, 07:41:56 AM »
Question for stats guys…

Last time was Round 13, 2019 vs Adelaide.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2019/011420190613.html#p1

Also occurred that year in Rounds 5, 7, 8, 9 and the Dreamtime game (Round 10). Cotch & Jack missed most of the first half of the season in 2019.
Thanks Boss

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6418 on: August 25, 2023, 01:04:37 AM »
Glorious times. Lynch martin and stack and our once upon a time impenetrable back 6 running the joint and holding the fort in the first half of the season.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6419 on: August 25, 2023, 04:44:20 AM »